Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Individual CSR: Performance or Score?

OP NuclearPenguins

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Just to clarify for CSR, because it wasn't exactly clear to me: Is CSR for individual scoring playlists based on how well you actually do or just the points you get?

So is going 12-0 better or is going 20-25 better?
http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

Quote:
In the mainstream playlists, we sort players by their performance (score) after every match, regardless of whether their team won or lost.
This seems to say that score is used - regardless of K/D.

Quote:
20-25 will give you a higher score, so this case is better with regards to CSR.
Thanks.

343 is just promoting all the wrong things. Jesus.
Yes, it's stupid. I went something like 18-3 in a game and a teammate beat me by 15 points but going 20-15. He ranked up, I went down because I didnt get most points :(
Quote:
Yes, it's stupid. I went something like 18-3 in a game and a teammate beat me by 15 points but going 20-15. He ranked up, I went down because I didnt get most points :(
And that is why I pretend CSR does not exist...it is meaningless...so why bother...I'm not changing my play style for a number.
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re
Quote:
http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

Quote:
In the mainstream playlists, we sort players by their performance (score) after every match, regardless of whether their team won or lost.

Quote:
So... going 24 and 7 in Rumble Pit and losing to a guy who went 25-30 is still pointless?

Well fantastic then... Another reason why I won't be checking my CSR any time soon.
I thought winning the match was most important and always praised those player that had a good spread to bring us to that win and without them we would have lost even if they were at the bottom of the list for kills. Those players are irrelevant now and have been betrayed by the CSR.

OT: Kill as many as you can and go guns blazing is what CSR is saying basically and you can die as much as you want because it just doesn't matter as long as you are the top player. Its all for the fun of the game.
Quote:
I thought winning the match was most important and always praised those player that had a good spread to bring us to that win and without them we would have lost even if they were at the bottom of the list for kills. Those players are irrelevant now and have been betrayed by the CSR.
Not in team scoring.
Quote:
Quote:
Not in team scoring.
Thankfully they do have team based CSR. I highly doubt that any individually based CSR playlist currently will be changed to team based scoring. A total CSR reset for everyone would be the only way to do it if they ever decided to move things around.

I wonder if they can reset each playlist separately?
Quote:
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re
Of all the game types, you thought Regicide was the best example to show KD not mattering at all?

I thought everyone knew this already - far before CSR was around.

Quote:
So... going 24 and 7 in Rumble Pit and losing to a guy who went 25-30 is still pointless?

Well fantastic then... Another reason why I won't be checking my CSR any time soon.
KD isn't everything as there are a heap of ways to increase your score.

Getting a kill for every death isn't going to put you on top of the score leader board every time.
Quote:
Quote:
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re
Of all the game types, you thought Regicide was the best example to show KD not mattering at all?

Quote:

Getting a kill for every death isn't going to put you on top of the score leader board every time.
The point is, getting kills is the #1 way to get a high score. But as of now, there is no incentive to not die. Especially in team games like Infinity Slayer, this is a huge problem. People will rush in, get a kill, and die. Rinse and repeat. The person going 12-0 on a team contributes far more than the person who went 20-25 as far as winning goes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re

Quote:

The point is, getting kills is the #1 way to get a high score. But as of now, there is no incentive to not die. Especially in team games like Infinity Slayer, this is a huge problem. People will rush in, get a kill, and die. Rinse and repeat. The person going 12-0 on a team contributes far more than the person who went 20-25 as far as winning goes.
Halo 3 Lone Wolves showed that simply trading is a terrible strategy and doesn't work at higher competitive levels.
The people who did that would max out at around skill 35-40.

Staying alive presents you with more opportunities to kill people, and longer times to make use of power weapons when you get them.
Watch someone like Shadowzkiller on youtube and you will see what I mean.
The way the system has been set up is a little disappointing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re

Quote:

Halo 3 Lone Wolves showed that simply trading is a terrible strategy and doesn't work at higher competitive levels.
The people who did that would max out at around skill 35-40.

Staying alive presents you with more opportunities to kill people, and longer times to make use of power weapons when you get them.
Watch someone like Shadowzkiller on youtube and you will see what I mean.
I know. But, you have to consider that there is even less of a penalty for not dying now with instant respawns.
Quote:
Just to clarify for CSR, because it wasn't exactly clear to me: Is CSR for individual scoring playlists based on how well you actually do or just the points you get?

I would note that 343 has not broken down details about what the term "individual performance" means. People are saying that guys going 20-25 are getting higher CSRs than guys who go 12-0 and I have a hard time believing that. To make conclusions like that requires large amounts of DATA, not anecdotal evidence based on looking at people's CSR before and after a match. Since CSR is not a representation of your matchmaking skill (or TrueSkill) per se but a number representative of how much you DO in a game and the number is evolving as its get implemented, we should expect to see large variations in CSR numbers in the first few months of implementation as the system "figures things out." As an example, I floated in the upper 20s to upper 30s in the Halo 3 playlists for TrueSkill. So if I assume I'm right around a 35 in terms of skill compared on a 1-50 scale, we can examine my CSRs to see how they compare. My BTIS CSR has enough data that I small comparison can be illustrative. My first game I shot up to like CSR8, then up to CSR15 in game 2. Game 3 saw me drop to CSR10. I saw a steady improvement in the number then leveled out at about CSR28 where I "bounced" for a few weeks before edging up into the low 30s a few weeks ago. My guess is that I'll finally level out right around CSR35 for BTIS due to my play style. I'm an aggressive attacker which causes me to die more frequently than if I stood back and shot people from afar. I'm guessing that if I concentrated on upping my K/D I'd see a further increase in my CSR but I'd find the game less fun then. Note this is an anecdotal example and no more valid than others saying CSR doesn't work. They have no idea about how and when it works and are just grousing because the system is telling them in no uncertain terms that they are NOT in fact awesome at Halo but merely average.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
FuriousNoob added that term "score" in there. He assumes score=performance when no such thing is indicated in ANY post that 343 has made about CSR. Performance is undefined. It may or may not include deaths in its calculation. If they are using PERFORMANCE I'll wager kills, assists, medals and deaths/betrayals are included in the calculation. But the key is NO ONE KNOWS. I'm just sharing my best GUESS.
Honestly I really don't think it matters. Even if score based is not entirely perfect, the best player should still be able to get the best score. I'm a very passive player who tries to die as little as possible and I got a 50 no problem without having to play ridiculously aggressive to get more points.
Quote:
*Goes +15 in Regicide.*

*Winner goes -2.*

*I rank down.*

*Winner ranks up.*

gg 343 no re
Winner's CSR prior to match: 10.
Your CSR prior to match: 25.
He won.
Therefore he is better than his 10 and you are worse than your 25. You might still be better than him in total, but that's why its a "learning" system that requires more than one game of data. Using one game of data is stupid because everyone is going to change until they actually HIT their skill level. Which means you need 5, 10, 15, 20 games played. NOT ONE.
Result: He increases in rank BECAUSE HE WON. You decrease in rank, BECAUSE YOU LOST.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
FuriousNoob added that term "score" in there. He assumes score=performance when no such thing is indicated in ANY post that 343 has made about CSR. Performance is undefined. It may or may not include deaths in its calculation. If they are using PERFORMANCE I'll wager kills, assists, medals and deaths/betrayals are included in the calculation. But the key is NO ONE KNOWS. I'm just sharing my best GUESS.
Ahhh hmmm. Well 343 really should tell us how it works.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2