Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Keep Halo 3 Playlist, call it Halo Classic

OP GankGoblin

There are lots of players who like the Halo Classic style, it would be great if it could be a permanent playlist.
Things could be mixed up with different gametypes, Halo 2 BR starts, Halo 1 pistol, etc.
Community remade maps from all the Halos, they already exist.
Old maps are nice but not really a requirement.
I wouldn't mind a rotational classic playlist that swaps between the previous Halo game settings.
For a Halo 3 anniversary, give us the original halo 3 on the xbox one with 60fps. Original ranking system and everything. I dont even care if the guns do not register like they do in the Master Collection. Just copy the entire Halo 3 original game and move it to 60 fps on the xbox one with the original ranking system and file share and everything. We want exclusive halo 3 doubles playlist and the old ranking system. ( At least give us Halo 3 team doubles on the Master Chief Collection . Halo 3 anniversary should be the best anniversary yet ( Not the worst )
DoubleSama wrote:
I wouldn't mind a rotational classic playlist that swaps between the previous Halo game settings.
I was thinking all the different classic gametypes are in the playlist at once and you randomly get something like Halo 2 BR starts on a community H2 remake, and the next game maybe you get Halo 1 Pistol start on a community H1 remake, even the "Halo 3" playlist they have is nothing like Halo 3, but it is "Halo Classic" so we could have Halo 5 BR starts on any map and as long as it had classic settings it would still definitely fit in the playlist. That way theres no work involved for 343 after its initially implemented, theres just lots of Halo Classic randomly chosen. This isnt necessarily a step back in time, just a step toward allowing players who like the classic playstyle to mix it up and do that.
GankGoblin wrote:
DoubleSama wrote:
I was thinking all the different classic gametypes are in the playlist at once and you randomly get something like Halo 2 BR starts on a community H2 remake, and the next game maybe you get Halo 1 Pistol start on a community H1 remake, even the "Halo 3" playlist they have is nothing like Halo 3, but it is "Halo Classic" so we could have Halo 5 BR starts on any map and as long as it had classic settings it would still definitely fit in the playlist. That way theres no work involved for 343 after its initially implemented, theres just lots of Halo Classic randomly chosen. This isnt necessarily a step back in time, just a step toward allowing players who like the classic playstyle to mix it up and do that.
The only problem I see with doing it that way instead of making multiple rotational playlists is that some people really don't like certain Halo games while they love others. This may mean that people want to play the Halo 2 or 3 matches, but then quit whenever there is a Halo 4 match. Rotational playlists would in theory reduce those types of quitters because they just wouldn't choose that playlist to begin with until one they wanted to play rotated in. Quitters are already a real issue in Halo 5 and I feel like there shouldn't be a playlist that may encourage quitting for some.
Halo 4 doesnt fall under Halo Classic, it had sprint; among other things. Even the equipment pickups in Halo 3 bagan to break from classic Halo gameplay. Classic Halo is no sprint, no abilities, no dodge/boost/jetpacks.
As close to Halo 1/2 and Halo 3 MLG as possible. Most classic players prefer precision weapon starts like BRs or Halo 1 pistol over Halo 2 SMGs or Halo 3 assault rifles. Power weapons would have their respawn timers be longer than they are in Halo 5 or MCC.

Im not trying to play the old Halos, I can do that on MCC or on backward compat. I'm talking about playing Classic settings in Halo 5 and calling it Halo Classic.
GankGoblin wrote:
There are lots of players who like the Halo Classic style, it would be great if it could be a permanent playlist.
Things could be mixed up with different gametypes, Halo 2 BR starts, Halo 1 pistol, etc.
I prefer only one gameplay, similar to H3 Throwback but with H2 Battle Rifle as primary weapon, and the best maps and game modes 4vs4 from H CE to H3.
I think it's a perfect idea. It'll let people play the old stuff without having to buy Master Chief collection if they don't have it already. I really would love to play Bloodgulch again lol.
GankGoblin wrote:
I really love this idea buddy hopefully 343 make it happen
Definitely agreed, and I'm pretty sure it can hold a population because Halo Reach already does it with their classic playlist.

Would also be cool if we had occasional variants thrown in like the H2 Forge versions of Midship and Halo 2 BR starts.
Throw in a whole mix of Halo 1-3 maps & starts, although Halo 3 should still make up the bulk because of popularity.

And yeah, like someone mentioned, Halo 4 isn't classic Halo. The game let you spawn with a 1-hit-kill weapon for crying out loud, I honestly can't think of a single other concept that could be less true to "Halo" than spawning with a 1-shot weapon in default settings, that's the antithesis of Halo.
This playlist is probably the best thing to ever happen in H5.
Definitely agreed, and I'm pretty sure it can hold a population because Halo Reach already does it with their classic playlist.

Would also be cool if we had occasional variants thrown in like the H2 Forge versions of Midship and Halo 2 BR starts.
Throw in a whole mix of Halo 1-3 maps & starts, although Halo 3 should still make up the bulk because of popularity.

And yeah, like someone mentioned, Halo 4 isn't classic Halo. The game let you spawn with a 1-hit-kill weapon for crying out loud, I honestly can't think of a single other concept that could be less true to "Halo" than spawning with a 1-shot weapon in default settings, that's the antithesis of Halo.
What starting weapon was a 1-shot weapon? I don't remember that.
DoubleSama wrote:

What starting weapon was a 1-shot weapon? I don't remember that.
I don't know the answer to that but he is right about H4 :)
Please keep this as a permanent playlist. This is literally all I ever wanted from this game.

It would also be really cool: if we could make classic-playstyle maps and submit them for a chance to get them in matchmaking. It was pretty nice back in Reach, even when all the forge objects were grey. It would be amazing with the new forge tools.
I would love to have a BTB Classic playlist, the more players the more fun carnage to be had!
I really enjoy the Halo 3 Classic Throwback Playlist. Please consider to keep it, thank you 343 and all Forge-Pros for building those maps.
Still wish they would make it ranked.
Still wish they would make it ranked.
Still wish they would get rid of the playlist and just fix MCC and do the same thing they did with Halo 2 anniversary (without all the bugs). Then later on release a DLC on MCC with Halo 3 anniversary fully re-master campaign and the top 5 most popular maps in Halo 3.