Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

making the leap from Mid Diamond to Onyx

OP BradTheMetalMan

Alright, So I've been wondering this for a long time, and I have tried different methods to get past the diamond 6 "road block" so to speak. I can't seem to connect the dots here. What's the difference from playing at a High Diamond level (4-6) to playing at an Onyx? I feel like I'm missing something key (or a few? lol) so I thought I would ask you find people your thoughts and input on the subject. So If you can narrow it down: (Of course this would also be for anyone else who is in my same boat as well.)

1. What is something that you do at the Onyx level that a Diamond player doesn't do?
  2. Is there something in particular that would demonstrate the difference?
  3. is there any other good tips to be able to hop over this hurtle?
I appreciate all input that you guys provide Cheers and I can't wait to hear from all of you!
It is just more refined basics and marksmanship. Try playing aome octagon with a really good player and try playing FFA to hone your awareness levels. Play areas your team is not protecting.. enemies will flank from there.. even if you die its key info for your team.

Knowing spawns, sticking with teammates and teamshotting is heavy in Onyx tier. You will fight 2v1s or more if you go alone. Try and not push spawn points if you have map control - you are dictating the pace at that point. If you get caught in one, slow down.. push when you need to and coordinate. Some matches will feel like your in a sauna.

Its pretty basic still just like I said refined.. its something that will come naturally. There really is not a special key to magically overcome something. Just practice and try running with a team. I normally solo que but teams will help a lot.
I'm willing to help you out sometime! I've been at,and held a CSR of 3k! Have been as high as Champion 2, and high Champion most of my active seasons! Sitting at 1890 Onyx right now, just starting out.

As someone who has just grinded from Diamond 3 to the upper % of Onyx, I can explain to you the things I noticed from players each tier I climbed. Feel free to message me on Xbox Live if you're interested.
Do you have a squad to run with? I'd venture a guess that most Onyx players, especially those in the upper percentile, have had squads to run with. And being a cohesive unit is a huge advantage, perhaps even more so than just being good on an individual basis. That's really the best tip for breaking through to the Onyx tier. After all, you're far, far more likely to run into full squads and teams of 3 in the Onyx tier than you are in the lower tiers.
Do you have a squad to run with? I'd venture a guess that most Onyx players, especially those in the upper percentile, have had squads to run with. And being a cohesive unit is a huge advantage, perhaps even more so than just being good on an individual basis. That's really the best tip for breaking through to the Onyx tier. After all, you're far, far more likely to run into full squads and teams of 3 in the Onyx tier than you are in the lower tiers.
IMHO, this. I placed onyx playing on my own, sometimes with a friend of two, but as soon as that rank hit it was as if I was getting matched with squads all the time sending me back to diamond and a much more comfortable solo queuing.
Alright, So I've been wondering this for a long time, and I have tried different methods to get past the diamond 6 "road block" so to speak. I can't seem to connect the dots here. What's the difference from playing at a High Diamond level (4-6) to playing at an Onyx? I feel like I'm missing something key (or a few? lol) so I thought I would ask you find people your thoughts and input on the subject. So If you can narrow it down: (Of course this would also be for anyone else who is in my same boat as well.)

1. What is something that you do at the Onyx level that a Diamond player doesn't do?
I appreciate all input that you guys provide Cheers and I can't wait to hear from all of you!
I had this roadblock in Gold 6, then again in Platinum 6, and now in Diamond 6. Something I see onyx players do are more experienced jumps, more confident challenges, and actually taking time to predict or manipulate spawns.

Just a few things first: I'm guessing you are talking about playlists besides team arena? Just asking because there is a significant difference between an onyx in TA versus pretty much every other playlist. I'm going to break down skill in H5 into 4 categories that I feel are appropriate. Obviously being good at all four will lead to a higher ranks but people have different skills so trying to focus on a few more than others might be useful just to get to onyx.

1. Aim: pretty straight forward. Having better aim will allow you to win more gunfights and more games. Honestly just better better aim will enable you to get onyx in any playlist. I know several players that lack high skill in the rest of the categories I'm going to mention but their insane raw gunskill bails them out. It's also the easiest thing to practice too since all it requires is playing the game. Also unless you are really comfortable adjust your sensitivity. H5 has such weird sensitivity that changing it may help, even game to game. Obviously not huge changes but just small adjustments. Also playing octagon against players who are better than you will help. But don't just do that since it doesn't simulate actual gunfights too much.

2. Movement: knowing useful jumps and movement mechanics can help you traverse the map while keeping the upper hand. But the main aspect of movement is being able to tranverse the map perfectly without thinking about it. You should be able to perform jumps and move around the map almost blind folded so that none of your concentration is used on moving your character. The easiest way to practice this is just load up a custom game of any map and run around. Also watch pro streams or old VODs.

Positioning: Third is how you position yourself on the map. This should be in relation to where you think the enemy is, where your team is, and any power weapons or power ups that are coming up. This can as simple as making sure you are getting the the high points in a map such as P2 on truth or top mid/car on regret. But it also has nuances such as putting yourself near of window of a truth CTF game when you have flag and the enemy team is pushing into your base so that you can throw the flag outside the base so your spawning teammates can bait the flag to get slays and hopefully the touch. My basic rule of thumb is that I should be positioning myself so that I have as great an advantage against enemies while also trying to control areas where power weapons or power ups are spawning. The best way to get better at this is watch pro VODs or watching your games where you went about even back in theatre. Notice where you die and why and try to analyze if your death was inevitable based on the info you had or if you put yourself in a bad position.

4. Game-sense: this one is a little more encompassing than the others. Plus it is the hardest to get better at and practice. What this includes is spawns, intelligent aggression, and the ability to correctly read a situation and understand what you need to do. The first part of game-sense imo is just knowing and understanding spawns. But this doesn't just include where the enemy will spawn after you kill them but also what information your spawn gives you. Your spawn can give a lot of info on where the enemy is especially in maps with static spawns. As long as you know spawns onyx will be way more achievable. The last two parts aren't really necessary since their effect only really matters in the highest level of competition. For just pushing into onyx all you really need is aim. However, if you want to make your game-sense better watch pro VODs and play with and against better players than you.

Overall the best way to improve is to consistently play the game but also play better players.
For me it would be practice (cliche I know but it's true) things like positioning knowing the map, jumps etc etc that kind of stuff is a gimme and communication with your team is HUGE. Playing with the same team helps a lot as well. You get to know strengths and weaknesses of your team who's better with what weapons, doing certain roles and so on. Pure skill is great but only gets you so far. Halo is a team game as we all know, so if you're not playing with people who don't want to play as much as you or put the time in then it's going to be a lot more difficult for you to get higher up.
I've been trying to figure this out as well. I've been stuck at diamond 3 for what seems like months and I can't seem to get better.
TraadeMerK wrote:
I'm willing to help you out sometime! I've been at,and held a CSR of 3k! Have been as high as Champion 2, and high Champion most of my active seasons! Sitting at 1890 Onyx right now, just starting out.

As someone who has just grinded from Diamond 3 to the upper % of Onyx, I can explain to you the things I noticed from players each tier I climbed. Feel free to message me on Xbox Live if you're interested.
Matched against Traade in an FFA the other day. Can confirm he knows what he's talking about.

Traade, I may take you up on that offer.
NightClerk wrote:
TraadeMerK wrote:

Matched against Traade in an FFA the other day. Can confirm he knows what he's talking about.

Traade, I may take you up on that offer.
Yeah, I've octagoned and 1v1'd Traade he's good.
QX wrote:

Just a few things first: I'm guessing you are talking about playlists besides team arena? Just asking because there is a significant difference between an onyx in TA versus pretty much every other playlist. I'm going to break down skill in H5 into 4 categories that I feel are appropriate. Obviously being good at all four will lead to a higher ranks but people have different skills so trying to focus on a few more than others might be useful just to get to onyx.

1. Aim: pretty straight forward. Having better aim will allow you to win more gunfights and more games. Honestly just better better aim will enable you to get onyx in any playlist. I know several players that lack high skill in the rest of the categories I'm going to mention but their insane raw gunskill bails them out. It's also the easiest thing to practice too since all it requires is playing the game. Also unless you are really comfortable adjust your sensitivity. H5 has such weird sensitivity that changing it may help, even game to game. Obviously not huge changes but just small adjustments. Also playing octagon against players who are better than you will help. But don't just do that since it doesn't simulate actual gunfights too much.

2. Movement: knowing useful jumps and movement mechanics can help you traverse the map while keeping the upper hand. But the main aspect of movement is being able to tranverse the map perfectly without thinking about it. You should be able to perform jumps and move around the map almost blind folded so that none of your concentration is used on moving your character. The easiest way to practice this is just load up a custom game of any map and run around. Also watch pro streams or old VODs.

3. Positioning: Third is how you position yourself on the map. This should be in relation to where you think the enemy is, where your team is, and any power weapons or power ups that are coming up. This can as simple as making sure you are getting the the high points in a map such as P2 on truth or top mid/car on regret. But it also has nuances such as putting yourself near of window of a truth CTF game when you have flag and the enemy team is pushing into your base so that you can throw the flag outside the base so your spawning teammates can bait the flag to get slays and hopefully the touch. My basic rule of thumb is that I should be positioning myself so that I have as great an advantage against enemies while also trying to control areas where power weapons or power ups are spawning. The best way to get better at this is watch pro VODs or watching your games where you went about even back in theatre. Notice where you die and why and try to analyze if your death was inevitable based on the info you had or if you put yourself in a bad position.

4. Game-sense: this one is a little more encompassing than the others. Plus it is the hardest to get better at and practice. What this includes is spawns, intelligent aggression, and the ability to correctly read a situation and understand what you need to do. The first part of game-sense imo is just knowing and understanding spawns. But this doesn't just include where the enemy will spawn after you kill them but also what information your spawn gives you. Your spawn can give a lot of info on where the enemy is especially in maps with static spawns. As long as you know spawns onyx will be way more achievable. The last two parts aren't really necessary since their effect only really matters in the highest level of competition. For just pushing into onyx all you really need is aim. However, if you want to make your game-sense better watch pro VODs and play with and against better players than you.

Overall the best way to improve is to consistently play the game but also play better players.
This is really good stuff, but I would have paired it, or included it, with things like Practice + Map & Sandbox Knowledge, Controller Setup + Advanced Movement Techniques, and Dedicated Fireteam + Teamwork Rotations + Communication.

Practice is self explanatory and it injects itself into all four of your categories. For the most part so does a clear understanding of the maps and sandbox such as knowing all of the ins-and-outs of particular weapons and maps. This includes a knowledge of where one weapon strives in comparison to others or how it’s most effectively used; plus, all the little tricks and tidbits related to the maps and getting around them efficiently as mentioned by QX.

Controller Setup is important because some of the advanced movement techniques are damn near impossible without a setup that provides you reliable access to achieving them. I mention this because while Halo 5's default setup is great for welcoming newcomers who may have experience in "other" FPS titles it’s actually quite restrictive toward achieving high level game-play in this title.

Besides aim accuracy Advanced Movement Techniques are perhaps the biggest barrier differences between upper level players and lower level players. In other words, movement/mobility is an area where a huge skill gap exists. Knowing how to achieve all of the advanced techniques is one thing, knowing when to apply them, applying them consistently, and (getting back to map knowledge) you've got to have the know-how of where you can apply particular techniques to achieve the specific mobility outcomes you desire. These are some very key influences.
Spoiler:
Show
Playing as much as possible with a dedicated group of people where you can work on your communication is huge as is perfecting your rotations with those specific individuals. These things can go a long way toward improving team results which is one of the best means to increase individual MMR and it's the only way to truly push your CSR to its highest potential outside the individual focused modes like FFA & H2H.

One last aspect that I didn't mention previously might be keeping any negative energy or emotion in check as it can cause players to lose focus and go on tilt.
This is FANTASTIC feedback everyone I'll send out PM's, and see what can happen!

I really only play TA not much else unless I need a break from the grind.

to answer a few questions I noticed that came up more than once:
  1. Team stuff: I usually Solo queue because the people usually I play with are below my skill level, albeit super fun to play with. However it doesn't do anything for my skill because we almost never get to play together since we all have different schedules. Also It's hard to find anyone to really team with since most people after Diamond 4 don't use their mic/ are already in a party (at least the times I play.)
  2. Movement: I actually fail here because I can't hit certain jumps (the bottom mid to top mid jump on Fathom, for example.), and I still don't know how to do the spring jump and when I run solo queue I Do my best to NEVER run alone I'm usually team shooting or rotating with a teammate. The other things mentioned I can't speak of right now as I haven't really noticed. Next time I play I'll try and focus in on this.
  3. Traade, I'll send you a PM on here so we can work out a time to run some games.
  4. Practice: Honestly I've played since Day one of H5 and I grindded super hard to get to the Diamond level, but currently with my work schedule and personal life I don't have much time to dedicate to practice too much, which I agree is not very helpful either, but I have to pay the bills and survive ya know? lol
Again I seriously appreciate your feedback and the Detail was just what the doctor ordered! please anyone else reading this continue you put your Ideas and your tips coming!

for the record I I play bumper jumper and I claw when I play!
The one thing that helped me the most imo, was simply analyzing my gameplay itself. When I got knocked to bronze tier, I was discouraged but determined not to suck like I did on H4 lol. One thing I found was I would grip the controller way too tight and it was throwing my aim off bad. Another was pushing the issue. Meaning I'd want revenge on dude who killed me twice and put myself right in the same spot everytime. Not waiting for the rest of the team to spawn. I'd get fixated on getting that opponent who's one shot but continuously found 2 or 3 of the other team waiting for me. Giving away positions by taking extremely I'll advised shots that had zero chance of doing anything besides stirring up the bee hive. Not taking quality shots and just shooting them just to do it. So I'd wind up with an empty gun and not finish the battle. Found a custom sensitivity setting that was perfect for me. Also I use recon button settings but went into the button mapping settings and changed it around to be quicker executing certain moves. Anticipation of the other team is key which goes with spawn control, where you are on the map, flanking, etc. Getting greedy can do you in. And really important, don't be predictable. Like with your movement, going back to the same area of the map. Only using one gun the whole time, or using a spartan ability in an ill advised moment. Hope this helps😁
Not sure if you'll get anything extra out of this, but I do have a collection of tips and tricks linked HERE.
QX wrote:

Positioning: Third is how you position yourself on the map. This should be in relation to where you think the enemy is, where your team is, and any power weapons or power ups that are coming up. This can as simple as making sure you are getting the the high points in a map such as P2 on truth or top mid/car on regret. But it also has nuances such as putting yourself near of window of a truth CTF game when you have flag and the enemy team is pushing into your base so that you can throw the flag outside the base so your spawning teammates can bait the flag to get slays and hopefully the touch. My basic rule of thumb is that I should be positioning myself so that I have as great an advantage against enemies while also trying to control areas where power weapons or power ups are spawning. The best way to get better at this is watch pro VODs or watching your games where you went about even back in theatre. Notice where you die and why and try to analyze if your death was inevitable based on the info you had or if you put yourself in a bad position.

This post in its entirety is gold. Have to give extra kudos to points 3 and 4, positioning and game sense. I'm generally a low to mid Diamond player but played several games the other day with a kid who is high Diamond to Onyx. I went back and watched a couple games we played together from his perspective and my perspective and I put my deaths in categories (lost a 1v1, burning power-up, flanked, etc.) and then watched his gameplay and did the same. I had probably 2-3 times more deaths due to being shot in the side/back than he did.

Watching Champ and pro gameplay I kept thinking, "it looks like they just run around the map and things work out," when really, they typically know where their teammates are and have a good idea where the bad guys are or where they are going to be.
NightClerk wrote:
QX wrote:

This post in its entirety is gold. Have to give extra kudos to points 3 and 4, positioning and game sense. I'm generally a low to mid Diamond player but played several games the other day with a kid who is high Diamond to Onyx. I went back and watched a couple games we played together from his perspective and my perspective and I put my deaths in categories (lost a 1v1, burning power-up, flanked, etc.) and then watched his gameplay and did the same. I had probably 2-3 times more deaths due to being shot in the side/back than he did.

Watching Champ and pro gameplay I kept thinking, "it looks like they just run around the map and things work out," when really, they typically know where their teammates are and have a good idea where the bad guys are or where they are going to be.
Thanks for the kind words. Positioning affects your gameplay so much and can turn aggressions from feeding the enemy team to outright destruction. Another thing that I didn't say in my first post is to always know what your retreat could be everywhere you push and plan how you will back down if you get shot.

I feel you on that last part though. Sometimes I watch scrims and just wonder how pros get away from standing still in certain spots or pushing without any encounters. What probably helps though is that at that level people usually make the correct plays whereas in diamond and lower it's harder to predict where people will push from since they make incorrect pushes more often.