1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
Calypsc wrote:
I understand boosting is an issue, but what happens to people who have friends who are significantly lower levels? My boyfriend is a gold if not worse and I am a champ or high onyx in all playlists. So you are saying if I want to play with my SO in his favorite playlists, I'm going to get banned? Please explain, because if that is the case, that's awful. :(
Are you playing on his account to increase his rank? If not, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

In the past, people have often tried to use the "carry" method to higher ranks by high-skill players playing with low-skilled players. With the advent of Trueskill2, however, this ranking method became much less effective. So even if that were your intent to carry your SO to higher ranks, it wouldn't work out because the system would be able to tell that he didn't belong at higher ranks. With that form of "manipulation" effectively gone, I don't think you'd get a ban for playing with him; just make sure you're not playing for him. And when you are playing with him, just play normally.
Calypsc wrote:
I understand boosting is an issue, but what happens to people who have friends who are significantly lower levels? My boyfriend is a gold if not worse and I am a champ or high onyx in all playlists. So you are saying if I want to play with my SO in his favorite playlists, I'm going to get banned? Please explain, because if that is the case, that's awful. :(
No, that won't get you banned because you are both playing the same you always do.

If you were to use your boyfriend's account, that could get you flagged because you would be ruining the fun for the Golds he usually plays against.
TraadeMerK wrote:
Hey Menke, I made a second account last night to get back into ranked after my 13 day ban, I placed Diamond 1 and hit 2, but I have been playing normally, although rusty. I'm slightly afraid the system might think I'm abusing the system if I start playing better after this rust wears off! Or that making a second account and playing normally as I am can re-ban me.
Unless you start dropping 30 kills a game all of a sudden after you were averaging 13-17 kills in prior games, you shouldn't be flagged for playing what the game considers "normal" for you.
Going Diamond to Onyx / Champ will be fine.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Calypsc wrote:
No, that won't get you banned because you are both playing the same you always do.

If you were to use your boyfriend's account, that could get you flagged because you would be ruining the fun for the Golds he usually plays against.
That makes sense, thank you for clearing that up! :)
ZaedynFel wrote:
So play nice, play fair.
I was curious if you ever considered changing the ban system to something similar or the same as the one MCC uses? So quitting will give you a ban that gets longer after each quit, but it resets after 24 hours instead of H5's system where it just keeps adding up over time.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
So play nice, play fair.
I was curious if you ever considered changing the ban system to something similar or the same as the one MCC uses? So quitting will give you a ban that gets longer after each quit, but it resets after 24 hours instead of H5's system where it just keeps adding up over time.
The only differences in H5 are
  1. You get one grace quit before the first ban.
  2. Each tier has its own reset length since it would be counter productive to ban someone for a week, have them do it again immediately, and not get banned since the window expired.
Other than that, it's the same. Escalating bans the more you quit.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Each tier has its own reset length since it would be counter productive to ban someone for a week, have them do it again immediately, and not get banned since the window expired.
Would it be possible to lower the ban reset length then? I'm only asking because I quit out of a game somewhat recently and got a ten minute ban and I don't even remember the last time I quit in-game on purpose unless I'm completely misremembering which I'm doubting, so I thought the ban time would've been a lot lower than what it was. I just think if you don't quit for at least a month or two or longer the ban time lengths should start to decay or get reset since you're showing good behavior.

I hope I'm not coming off as badgering, but I just don't want to quit a game after 5 months of not quitting at all and then get an 1 hour ban or whatever is after 10 minutes because my ban time still hasn't reset or gone down. I'd imagine there are others who feel the same as well if they're in a similar situation.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Each tier has its own reset length since it would be counter productive to ban someone for a week, have them do it again immediately, and not get banned since the window expired.
Would it be possible to lower the ban reset length then? I'm only asking because I quit out of a game somewhat recently and got a ten minute ban and I don't even remember the last time I quit in-game on purpose unless I'm completely misremembering which I'm doubting, so I thought the ban time would've been a lot lower than what it was. I just think if you don't quit for at least a month or two or longer the ban time lengths should start to decay or get reset since you're showing good behavior.I hope I'm not coming off as badgering, but I just don't want to quit a game after 5 months of not quitting at all and then get an 1 hour ban or whatever is after 10 minutes because my ban time still hasn't reset or gone down. I'd imagine there are others who feel the same as well if they're in a similar situation.
Bold - I think this is a really good idea actually and should definitely be implemented if it's not a thing already. It only makes sense.

So is it safe to say that this is to help combat second accounts? Aka smurf accounts. I'm all for stopping them as I'm sick as tired of playing against "new" account people who clearly aren't new.

Also, my friend and I were discussing this the other day, but we can't recall the answer. Do quit bans apply to all modes? Ranked, soical, firefight etc? Or is it just ranked playlists.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Would it be possible to lower the ban reset length then? I'm only asking because I quit out of a game somewhat recently and got a ten minute ban and I don't even remember the last time I quit in-game on purpose unless I'm completely misremembering which I'm doubting, so I thought the ban time would've been a lot lower than what it was. I just think if you don't quit for at least a month or two or longer the ban time lengths should start to decay or get reset since you're showing good behavior.

I hope I'm not coming off as badgering, but I just don't want to quit a game after 5 months of not quitting at all and then get an 1 hour ban or whatever is after 10 minutes because my ban time still hasn't reset or gone down. I'd imagine there are others who feel the same as well if they're in a similar situation.
I think it does already. I sometimes quit out of matches that become lopsided and the other team's behavior is indicative of farming but I don't usually get a ban. People quit out way too often to have cumulative ban lengths that don't reset. I have been banned for 10 minutes maybe 2 or 3 times in three years due to quitting (and once for 24 hours for sending a nasty message to a TKer for sniper) but never more.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

I think it does already. I sometimes quit out of matches that become lopsided and the other team's behavior is indicative of farming but I don't usually get a ban. People quit out way too often to have cumulative ban lengths that don't reset. I have been banned for 10 minutes maybe 2 or 3 times in three years due to quitting (and once for 24 hours for sending a nasty message to a TKer for sniper) but never more.
Yes, the "ban flags" (which is what escalates your bans) already do expire within a time period roughly on the order of the previous ban.

Short bans have short expiry.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

Oh, also, the only ban I'm seeing on your profile is for Betrayal, which will get you banned faster than just quitting, IIRC. This was back in November though.

If it was more recent, I assume it was an ALT, in which case I would need to know the ALT to look it up.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Oh, also, the only ban I'm seeing on your profile is for Betrayal, which will get you banned faster than just quitting, IIRC. This was back in November though.

If it was more recent, I assume it was an ALT, in which case I would need to know the ALT to look it up.
I don't use alts anymore, but disregard then because I completely forget it was a betrayal. If it was this game, then I remember it now and it was because I accidentally betrayed three people in a Warthog with the incineration cannon.
Probably a good idea but permanent bans are questionable, they can cause people to stop playing halo entirely. I think a 3 month limit should be imposed.
Thanks Josh, this is great!
Probably a good idea but permanent bans are questionable, they can cause people to stop playing halo entirely.
Banning people permanently will make them stop playing halo. That is the point.
Probably a good idea but permanent bans are questionable, they can cause people to stop playing halo entirely.
I’m just not sure if smurfing should be an offense carrying a perm ban. But it’s not really an issue that needs addressing that bad since they will be warned prior to that.
I’m just not sure if smurfing should be an offense carrying a perm ban. But it’s not really an issue that needs addressing that bad since they will be warned prior to that.
If they were warned and received lesser consequences and continued to try and manipulate matchmaking to the detriment of everyone else involved I'm not seeing the issue. They are actively making the game worse for everyone else. They aren't making the community better in any way and I personally am not going to get upset over the loss of someone that only makes things worse. Halo should be able to be played and enjoyed by everyone.
ZaedynFel wrote:
As we discussed months ago, TrueSkill2 marks players for anomalous behavior which can flag the ban processor.

The banning system is now banning consistently for this behavior, starting at 14 days, and quickly escalating into permanence.

Also, note that the banning system will not only ban the flagged account, but also other accounts and consoles associated with it.

We suggest playing normally to avoid these bans.

I don't believe creating an alternate account and playing normally will flag, but outside of that will be risky.

So play nice, play fair.
Awesone and correct Update 💚
Hello from Italy
Absolutely fantastic update and I can't wait to see it start taking effect. Players deserve to enjoy Halo without smurf accounts blasting them.
ZaedynFel wrote:
As we discussed months ago, TrueSkill2 marks players for anomalous behavior which can flag the ban processor.

The banning system is now banning consistently for this behavior, starting at 14 days, and quickly escalating into permanence.

Also, note that the banning system will not only ban the flagged account, but also other accounts and consoles associated with it.

We suggest playing normally to avoid these bans.

I don't believe creating an alternate account and playing normally will flag, but outside of that will be risky.

So play nice, play fair.
Perm banning people who payed to play your game, alongside automation?

This is a recipe for disaster
Which in turn, ruins your sales numbers for future games, causes controversy (just like hunt the truth and Fix mcc did) and overall damages the halo community/impacts it negatively.

I can understand banning users for "smurfing/manipulating the system" and perhaps even the console ban. But doing collateral damage to your community for the sake of trying to fix a problem only causes another problem, wouldn't you agree?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10