1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
ZaedynFel wrote:
JAPCLEV360 wrote:
Okay so I guess under the old system im diamond in ffa and in the new system I'm barely gold, sounds completely accurate.
Under the bug you were Diamond. But your MMR has been Platinum 1 for awhile.

That shows the extent of the bug. It had handed you over 300 extra CSR just for playing, rather than staying at what your skill should be.
Hey Zaedyn, for the purposes of this post above:

I do believe you've opened a can of worms with responding to this person above, and basically after interpretation of this post, most anyone should be justified by asking you what their own MMR is. I'd be curious to know what mine is in this most current FFA season.

ZaedynFel wrote:
JAPCLEV360 wrote:
Okay so I guess under the old system im diamond in ffa and in the new system I'm barely gold, sounds completely accurate.
That shows the extent of the bug. It had handed you over 300 extra CSR just for playing, rather than staying at what your skill should be.
His MMR? Then why not show MMR rather than CSR if MMR is a more accurate representation of skill? Id have alot more understanding with losses if I saw I was playing someone with Onyx MMR rather than losing to someone with Platinum CSR which did not represented his skill accurately.
I asked if for the next Halo we can have the MMR be the classic 1-50 (or 1-whatever) Halo ranks and the CSR still be Bronze-Champ. And have both be visible and separate for each playlist.
Also have the MMR not reset each season (I think that's already working this way) so you can always see your MMR in the lobby vs your seasonal rank.

EDIT: we all know some (a lot) people prefer the old rankings and I don't see a reason why not have both and be more specific about what's really going on with the ranks.
Like someone said, I'd prefer to see that an Onyx (MMR) player beat me rather than see his Platinum (CSR).
Furthermore, I TOTALLY agree with this person above. There needs to be more overall transparency with dissemination of true/intrinsic MMR on a match, on a cerebral level of understanding things. Otherwise, as clearly evidenced by many posts above, this leaves many players (including myself) with a great deal of confusion and frustration post-match, once we've lost to a person with a ridiculous, unexpected rank. Or, for any other possible matter.......

So, it would be nice if you could either tell us all our "perceived MMRs" here on Waypoint, or come out with a soon to be released update which consistently explains our MMR + opponents' MMR on a match-to-match basis. Thanks
Thanks!
The way I see it if CSR has to catch up with MMR for it to be relevant or accurate then it looks like CSR is just a flashy emblem and not a real representation of where is your skill in comparison to someone else.
I'd also like to know what my MMR is on the HCS playlist. I've been stuck in Diamond since it started and today I got Onyx. However, since MMR will still take a little longer to settle for everybody, does it mean I got the Onyx because I got lucky?
i believe I might have gotten Onyx because higher level players stepped up into a higher onyx bracket, therefore I'm ranking up not because I'm winning against better people but because people at my level keep ranking up with me.. if that makes sense?
I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but it does make the emblems a little bit irrelevant. Since I didn't get "better" just made it to the next emblem because some one had to fill in the gaps in this large "rank" scale.

Not the system's fault but, I'd still like to know what my real rank is :p
Also, I don't remember where but someone asked why the matchmaker doesn't show ranks and which teams you are going to be on before the match like previous Halos, and the reply was "to reduce the number of people quitting when they see a higher level player"

I think this just makes people leave during the match, when they start getting destroyed bu a higher level player, instead of leaving while they are in the lobby. I'd rather have a quitter quit while we can still get a replacement than lose a teammate during a match.
Also, the ability to return to a match after a lagout needs to be implemented for the next game. Other FPSs are doing it.
twotryhard wrote:
HI ZaedynFel,

I know this isn't part of the thread or probably part of your department, but seeing as you are probably one of the 343 employees who is mostly active in responding our inquiries, would you happen to know if the heavy aim people are complaining about due to most items being unlocked on high level accounts to actually be an issue or would you say this is only placebo and not an actual existing issue? from a technical side I don't really see how heavy aim is affected by either a new or old account due to what you have unlocked on either profile. Any insight on this would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.
In my role I've only heard third or fourth hand about the heavy aim stuff, but I can say it's something being taken very seriously. From what I've heard they know exactly what it is at this point and are working towards a solution. But I don't know how difficult that solution is or how long it would be till we see a fix.

I don't think items are related, but I'm not close enough to the solve to say exactly what it is.
I generally don't want to become a manual MMR lookup service. I don't mind doing one-offs in cases where something funny seems to have happened.

My answer in previous posts about exposing MMR is I think it would be nice to see it at the Team level, so you know that even though that team has some weird spread of CSR on it, the system expected them to play "Platinum", etc.

Then you would often see Team vs. Team results usually very close in MMR, maybe one Rank off at most except for rare cases in the tails.
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
You're right however that their high ranked players gained just as much CSR as their low-ranked player. This seems to contradict Josh's claim that the high-CSR teammates would be "pulled back toward the team average CSR". Albeit, for a sample size of 1 game...
The CSR convergence code is conservative and tries to only kick in when the gap is fairly wide, so as to try and not catch false positives too often. It engages pretty consistently near the Champion level to prevent leaderboard hacking, but tapers off except for the most egregious cases.

So usually, if you see something like this, it's still giving the Onyx the benefit of the doubt. Or that's not a very high Onyx player.
Edit: Nvm.

Any updates for those full party matching changes that you were proposing a while back?
ZaedynFel wrote:
twotryhard wrote:
HI ZaedynFel,

I know this isn't part of the thread or probably part of your department, but seeing as you are probably one of the 343 employees who is mostly active in responding our inquiries, would you happen to know if the heavy aim people are complaining about due to most items being unlocked on high level accounts to actually be an issue or would you say this is only placebo and not an actual existing issue? from a technical side I don't really see how heavy aim is affected by either a new or old account due to what you have unlocked on either profile. Any insight on this would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.
In my role I've only heard third or fourth hand about the heavy aim stuff, but I can say it's something being taken very seriously. From what I've heard they know exactly what it is at this point and are working towards a solution. But I don't know how difficult that solution is or how long it would be till we see a fix.

I don't think items are related, but I'm not close enough to the solve to say exactly what it is.
This honestly is good news there looking into it.. As im a player that is greatly effected by the heavy aim and slow movement. Trust me when I say this isn't something made up! Id much rather be playing the game then being on here looking for a fix or help. I also don't think it has anything to do with a new or old account. Or what one has unlocked or not. I personally think it has to do with a frame rate issue. Meaning I don't feel everyone is running at 60 fps in the same game. This doesn't expose itself as lag. The game just performs at a slower rate which exposes the player as an easy target. This issue here gets fixed this will also help with match making play in general better across the board. So even though this may not be directly related it sure has an effect on matching making out come.. There are a lot of players effected by this and it is the strangest thing ive ever seen before. Which makes it very difficult for players to explain or express.
Thanks Josh.
Zippy.
ZaedynFel wrote:
twotryhard wrote:
HI ZaedynFel,

Thank you.

Thanks for the info!

I don't know if 343 will be mad at you for talking about heavy aim but I have a lot of respect for your honesty. I'm sure others do too.
ZaedynFel wrote:
I generally don't want to become a manual MMR lookup service. I don't mind doing one-offs in cases where something funny seems to have happened.

My answer in previous posts about exposing MMR is I think it would be nice to see it at the Team level, so you know that even though that team has some weird spread of CSR on it, the system expected them to play "Platinum", etc.

Then you would often see Team vs. Team results usually very close in MMR, maybe one Rank off at most except for rare cases in the tails.
This may be off-topic and I apologize if it is, but I just wanted to say that here recently I've noticed a huge improvement in teams being more balanced. In what I've noticed, all the players in a game have been within the same rank tier, and if there are players outside of it, it's not that big of a difference (a Silver 6 with a lobby of mid-level Golds type spread). Huge improvement from a few weeks ago when I was pretty consistently matching Onyx 1600+ or even players as high as Champion 24 when I was a Gold 5. I don't know if y'all have done something on your end or if there are just more people playing who are closer to my CSR, but I haven't changed anything on my end (search parameters are still the same, still playing a the same times, etc). Just wanted to say well done if it was something that was done on y'all's end :)
ZaedynFel wrote:
JAPCLEV360 wrote:

His MMR? Then why not show MMR rather than CSR if MMR is a more accurate representation of skill? Id have alot more understanding with losses if I saw I was playing someone with Onyx MMR rather than losing to someone with Platinum CSR which did not represented his skill accurately.
Well, I think for the most part MMR and CSR are relatively close to one another under normal circumstances, so showing one as opposed to the other probably isn't going to make much of a difference in the perception of someone's skill. FFA was just different in that, before the bug was fixed, you were ranking up no matter where you placed so long as you didn't place last. So regardless of your skill level, you'd gain CSR and keep moving up, even though you weren't actually improving, according to your MMR. So hypothetically, you could make it up to Onyx tier without ever winning an FFA game.
^Yep, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I've made it to Onyx in FFA without winning a game, but I have had seasons where I probably had way more 4th-5ths than 1st-3rds and still made it to Onyx just because I played a crap ton. I'm so ready for the inflated CSR to be evened out and only gain CSR for 1st-3rd so this playlist feels competitive. I may never make it to Onyx again ha, but at least if I do, it'll feel like I've actually earned it.
ZaedynFel wrote:
twotryhard wrote:
HI ZaedynFel,

Thank you.

This honestly is good news there looking into it.. As im a player that is greatly effected by the heavy aim and slow movement. Trust me when I say this isn't something made up! Id much rather be playing the game then being on here looking for a fix or help. I also don't think it has anything to do with a new or old account. Or what one has unlocked or not. I personally think it has to do with a frame rate issue. Meaning I don't feel everyone is running at 60 fps in the same game. This doesn't expose itself as lag. The game just performs at a slower rate which exposes the player as an easy target. This issue here gets fixed this will also help with match making play in general better across the board. So even though this may not be directly related it sure has an effect on matching making out come.. There are a lot of players effected by this and it is the strangest thing ive ever seen before. Which makes it very difficult for players to explain or express.
Thanks Josh.
Zippy.
It is definitely not made up. Someone did some tests and posted the results on team beyond. It is actually very interesting and he tested it on Halo CE and H5 and basically he proves that Heavy Aim is real.
This may be off-topic and I apologize if it is, but I just wanted to say that here recently I've noticed a huge improvement in teams being more balanced. In what I've noticed, all the players in a game have been within the same rank tier, and if there are players outside of it, it's not that big of a difference (a Silver 6 with a lobby of mid-level Golds type spread). Huge improvement from a few weeks ago when I was pretty consistently matching Onyx 1600+ or even players as high as Champion 24 when I was a Gold 5. I don't know if y'all have done something on your end or if there are just more people playing who are closer to my CSR, but I haven't changed anything on my end (search parameters are still the same, still playing a the same times, etc). Just wanted to say well done if it was something that was done on y'all's end :)
We haven't done anything specific to make the matchmaking different.

But we did decrease the incentive for Champs to party with noobs, so it's probably happening less since there's less reason to do it.
ZaedynFel wrote:
twotryhard wrote:
HI ZaedynFel,

Thank you.

Thanks Josh.
Zippy.
It is definitely not made up. Someone did some tests and posted the results on team beyond. It is actually very interesting and he tested it on Halo CE and H5 and basically he proves that Heavy Aim is real.
Yeah, most definitely real. I don't think whether or not you "Feel" it is as much of a skill thing as much as is it personal sensitivity (though im sure one benefits the other). Its been "felt" by too many people too often and acknowledged by 343 as being real. its not headcasing.
ZaedynFel wrote:

But we did decrease the incentive for Champs to party with noobs, so it's probably happening less since there's less reason to do it.
MMR and CSR converge over the course of a season too, so it can 'Feel" better since the rank you see is probably a closer reflecting of the matchmaking-rank. Its one of the reasons i have become a proponent of longer seasons.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Edit: Nvm.

Any updates for those full party matching changes that you were proposing a while back?
I don't have any interesting updates, no. It's moving along, but getting right and polished and tested is going to take time.
ZaedynFel wrote:

Maybe that's it. It's definitely making for more competitive/fun games :)
Apoll0 wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Apoll0 wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

MMR and CSR converge over the course of a season too, so it can 'Feel" better since the rank you see is probably a closer reflecting of the matchmaking-rank. Its one of the reasons i have become a proponent of longer seasons.

This is definitely true. As much as I love grinding the placement matches at the beginning of the season and used to love them resetting every month, I'm starting to agree that I'd kinda like to see seasons go up to at least 3 months (this seems to make more sense to me since then they could coincide with the actual seasons, Winter, Fall, etc) then we'd hopefully get more time to enjoy these closer, more competitive matches when CSR and MMR are more closely aligned.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Can we have 1-3 count as a win in FFA?This is something we would like to do, but is currently deceptively difficult for technical reasons related to the current specific implementation of how wins and losses are reported. I don’t think this will get fixed for Halo 5, but it’s something we are aware of and would prefer down the road.
Search changing from Expanded back to BalancedWe have found the issue that is causing this and are working on the fix. I can’t give an exact estimate on when it will happen, but if we’re lucky, probably in the coming few weeks.
Why does rank carry over from Proving Grounds into HCS Summer Preview?Since the audiences for Proving Grounds and the HCS list had a high overlap, we wanted to preserve matchmaking quality as best we could when transitioning. Matchmaking in an existing playlist is always better than in a brand new one because we already know the skill (MMR) of many of the players. To preserve the quality, we
wanted to bring the MMR from PG over to HCS.

However, we don’t currently have a way to preserve MMR without preserving CSR, so in order to preserve the MMR from Proving Grounds, we have to also carry over the CSR (Ranking)

This also makes it easier for us see how the different settings feel without being biased by poor matchmaking.
FFA feels broken nowJust to recap.
  • FFA is not broken, but I agree it does feel that way. If you keep losing points even in 2nd and 3rd place, that means either your CSR is still inflated, or a player with a really low MMR ranked above you.
  • Once the season rolls, it will be more common to go positive for 1-3rd, and negative for 4-6th and no one will be inflated. From that point on, strange point gains / losses will only happen due to surprising finish positions.
A few of you have suggested that MMR would have also fluctuated to match up with the CSR inflation, and that you shouldn’t be out of synch and have this issue. Let me clarify that the CSR inflation was completely arbitrary and not related at all to fluctuations in skill. Instead, we were just wholesale handing out TONS of extra CSR in FFA to everyone. FFA had basically become a grind and not skill-based at all, so the ranks were meaningless.

Unfortunately, since we made this fix mid-season, we now have a mix of meaningful and not-meaningful ranks depending on whether or not you are brave enough to play and have your CSR re-calibrated. I know some of you felt you had fought hard to earn your Onyx and Champion ranks, and it’s mean of us to tell you, “actually, no, most of you are not Onyx nor Champion”

Next season, however, should end up being one of the most skill-accurate FFA seasons we’ve had. So if you want to find out whether you really are Onyx or Champ material, prepare for next season. Even though this season’s Ranks may be frustrating, I encourage be ready for the “real deal” next season. Or, just play because you like FFA.
Problem is, not everyone is brave enough.

So speaking of next season, when will next season start? Seeing as FFA should have been reset due to this change.
ZaedynFel wrote:
JAPCLEV360 wrote:
I asked if for the next Halo we can have the MMR be the classic 1-50 (or 1-whatever) Halo ranks and the CSR still be Bronze-Champ. And have both be visible and separate for each playlist.
Also have the MMR not reset each season (I think that's already working this way) so you can always see your MMR in the lobby vs your seasonal rank.

EDIT: we all know some (a lot) people prefer the old rankings and I don't see a reason why not have both and be more specific about what's really going on with the ranks.
Like someone said, I'd prefer to see that an Onyx (MMR) player beat me rather than see his Platinum (CSR).
I kind of like this idea...
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Is anything going to be done about boosters yet? Im still seeing Diamonds partied up with Silvers or Onyx with Platinums, so they can get easier games. This is seriously destroying my will to play this game and is making MCC look like a working game. Its so tiresome to put up with the same BS, how about nullify CSR gains to Players who are partied with players who are more than 1 division away? Example: A Gold cannot gain CSR when partied up with a Diamond or Onyx players cannot gain CSR when playing with Platinums.

Or another way would be fireteam members must have around the same MMR/CSR in order play Ranked, similar to how Overwatch restricts teams from having players outside of a certain skill boundary.
The latest update just implemented something to try and fix this. Send me a link to a game where this happened? The high-ranked person you cite in these games should be getting VERY small CSR gains after these matches now, for the reason you mention. Didn't Josh address this in the OP..? Just wondering why you think it's not working.
In my recent game of HCS I faced a consisting of 2 Diamonds, a Silver and a Platinun. The Silver and Diamonds were in a Spartan Company together, also a couple games of Doubles Ive played had Onyx and Plats as a team against me and my friend who is plat, the fact they receive little CSR appears to just mean they need to play more games, so in my opinion a better solution would be to restrict fireteams the Overwatch does it or nulify CSR gains for those playing with players at alot lower skill level.

Also I use my xbox to check waypoint so i can't copy and paste
Looks like maybe you're talking about your 25-100 loss on Eden Strongholds. Seems like the real problem with that game wasn't even potential smurfing/boosting, it was your unranked teammate who went 1-14 with only 750 damage dealt. Their silver player (who I'm assuming you think was a smurf) didn't even do very well. So he might have been a legit silver player.

You lost very few CSR for the match (-5), and they gained very few, which makes sense, since their average CSR was much higher than yours (1095 vs. 803). So this match barely affected either of your CSRs. I don't think these guys are boosting -- if you'd had a better teammate, you might have beaten them and made them all lose 30 CSR for losing to a "worse" team.

You're right however that their high ranked players gained just as much CSR as their low-ranked player. This seems to contradict Josh's claim that the high-CSR teammates would be "pulled back toward the team average CSR". Albeit, for a sample size of 1 game...
Where can you see how much CSR someone lost?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4