[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – August 14th

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I don’t have any new updates this week, but I’ll create this thread for discussion.

We do have a few efforts in flight right now that will significantly improve matchmaking. Some I've discussed already, and some aren’t close enough for me to want to get your hopes up with the details. But I’m excited.

I’ll let you know when there are some clearer timelines around some of them.

Have a great week!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
ZaedynFel wrote:
DaxSeven09 Thanks for your awesome summary post by the way!
Hey no problem! I'm glad you liked it. It really helps me keep all your info straight. It's a lot to process, and thanks for pinning it. I wasn't expecting that.

I understand about the Slayer playlist. I didn't realize how popular it was. It would be nice to have some kind of refresh with the TA playlist though. Maybe less amount of autos and add some maps to it something like that. When I switch over to Slayer sometimes I get jealous of all the maps they have to play on.

Also I was thinking about those Rank Rewards you posted a while back. Unless I'm mistaken you haven't mentioned them again. Is there a status on those? Did I miss that? If you guy's are still thinking about this then what about instead of just handing them out to everyone eventually, and making us all winners, hand some out to those who are able to pull themselves out of the middle of the pack. Or just raise their rank say like two ranks from where they were at the end of last season.

I mainly say this for players like myself who are stuck in the middle of the road. It will be something significant to pull myself out of that, which is something I would rather have an award for, rather than something we will all get eventually.

One other thing, I know you probably aren't directly involved with the Waypoint side of things in general, but, since you stated that this season is the most accurate representation of our skill yet in terms of rank. Could you see about having our All-Time Top CSR that is displayed on our profiles changed to whichever is highest for the season, and every season thereafter maybe? Right now mine is the Onyx rank in Swat that nearly everyone got by default in the beginning of ranks for Halo 5. I don't like having that there since it's a misrepresentation of my skill even if it makes me look better than I am. There was a time when this was replaced, but it was changed back. It's a little thing, but it bugs me nonetheless. Thanks.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Also I was thinking about those Rank Rewards you posted a while back. Unless I'm mistaken you haven't mentioned them again. Is there a status on those? Did I miss that? If you guy's are still thinking about this then what about instead of just handing them out to everyone eventually, and making us all winners, hand some out to those who are able to pull themselves out of the middle of the pack. Or just raise their rank say like two ranks from where they were at the end of last season.
What a weird coincidence since I was also thinking about the rank rewards, but more about the emblems being removed. I think the reward was the top players in the season were featured on the announcements menu in the game for a short time, but now we have the leaderboards which would replace that.

Josh, are you guys still planning on issuing some type of reward when you make a rank in future seasons like the emblems or is that done with for now?
Willko wrote:
Since this thread isn't specifically about Halo 5(or any game), is it safe to ask about MCC matchmaking updates here?

Are there any planned MCC playlist updates? We would love to have the Halo CE 4v4 playlist back.
It's safe to ask, but I unfortunately don't have any news about MCC at this time.
DaxSeven09 wrote:

I mainly say this for players like myself who are stuck in the middle of the road. It will be something significant to pull myself out of that, which is something I would rather have an award for, rather than something we will all get eventually.

One other thing, I know you probably aren't directly involved with the Waypoint side of things in general, but, since you stated that this season is the most accurate representation of our skill yet in terms of rank. Could you see about having our All-Time Top CSR that is displayed on our profiles changed to whichever is highest for the season, and every season thereafter maybe? Right now mine is the Onyx rank in Swat that nearly everyone got by default in the beginning of ranks for Halo 5. I don't like having that there since it's a misrepresentation of my skill even if it makes me look better than I am. There was a time when this was replaced, but it was changed back. It's a little thing, but it bugs me nonetheless. Thanks.
We looked into the Rank Rewards we could offer and getting them properly awarded required work from a team that is currently devoted to the next Halo, so it had to be prioritized differently. If that changes, I'll let you know.

I'll look into the Waypoint thing. You're saying there was something before to ignore buggy seasons?
ZaedynFel wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:

We looked into the Rank Rewards we could offer and getting them properly awarded required work from a team that is currently devoted to the next Halo, so it had to be prioritized differently. If that changes, I'll let you know.

I'll look into the Waypoint thing. You're saying there was something before to ignore buggy seasons?
Yes, I remember because me and another guy had a discussion about it. He wanted his Onyx back and I didn't. Maybe I am remembering wrong but I don't think so.
Can you let Ske7ch know that the Warzone Warlords population appeared to be low last time around because the blocking feature was turned on? People stopped playing after the first/second day because of that blocking feature making it hard to find a match.

We are dying here! Please assure us that he knows about that problem and why another Warlords would be successful without the blocking feature turned on!
I personally would love to see a free-for-all playlist added to MCC. Call it "Classic FFA" and leave out Halo 4. Should be simple to do considering there are versions of it already in customs. Thanks!
I know a few others have asked about it already but just to show my support of it, I agree with Willko on those MCC matters. In particular, a split of the BTB playlist would be awesome! Only way to get anything other than 3 is with a full group and even that doesn't always work. Thanks!
Quote:
The main difference is this:H3:
  • Don't match more than 10 levels apart
  • But pretend anyone 50 and up is the same
  • So 75s can instantly match with 50s and destroy them (which happened most of the times when 75s queued)
  • This is the same as Champ 1 matching instantly with the worst Onyx player. Low Onyx players don't like getting stomped by Pros and AMs, today at least.
H5:
  • Max allowed levels apart is different per playlist, adapted to that playlist's distribution, pop size, and skill ceiling.
  • HCS starts at only 2 levels apart and increases by 0.6 levels every 5 seconds up to 18 levels apart.
  • So 75s won't match lower than 57s, and won't match 50s and destroy them
  • 75s will also try and match other 75s first rather than matching 50s instantly.
  • But 50s will match 32s sometimes, after 2.5 minutes
  • If we don't let 75s match down to 57, they won't be able to find matches at all
  • But if 75s can go down 18 levels to hit 57, everyone else can also go down 18 levels since we can only have one expansion rule
I'm currently evaluating a solution that merges the best of both H3 and H5, which is:
  • Match 75s, etc., against 75s first, and then expand down to 56
  • But match 50s at worst against 40s (actually, no lower than 42)
  • This has to be done within one expansion rule still, so it's a bit tricky
If that works out, I'll let you know.
I couldn't quote this in you old post but, I think you'll find that most players aren't complaining about Champions matching low oynx,(which I see literally no problem with) but more that in some playlist Champs are matching Plats and Oynx matching Golds etc.

But your hybrid system seems like a good compromise.
This is not an MCC thread. MCC related questions go in the MCC section.
This is not an MCC thread. MCC related questions go in the MCC section.
Which is, um, where? Next time, post a link?

edit: I'm sorry, that was a bit harsh. It really bothers me though when people just assume that because they know some bit of info, that everyone else already knows that info too.

---

@ZaedynFel: Umm what is this???

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/119e9241-593e-4d38-94b5-c5f2c48a49b0/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=2&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

---

Quote:
The main difference is this:H3:
  • Don't match more than 10 levels apart
  • But pretend anyone 50 and up is the same
  • So 75s can instantly match with 50s and destroy them (which happened most of the times when 75s queued)
  • This is the same as Champ 1 matching instantly with the worst Onyx player. Low Onyx players don't like getting stomped by Pros and AMs, today at least.
H5:
  • Max allowed levels apart is different per playlist, adapted to that playlist's distribution, pop size, and skill ceiling.
  • HCS starts at only 2 levels apart and increases by 0.6 levels every 5 seconds up to 18 levels apart.
  • So 75s won't match lower than 57s, and won't match 50s and destroy them
  • 75s will also try and match other 75s first rather than matching 50s instantly.
  • But 50s will match 32s sometimes, after 2.5 minutes
  • If we don't let 75s match down to 57, they won't be able to find matches at all
  • But if 75s can go down 18 levels to hit 57, everyone else can also go down 18 levels since we can only have one expansion rule
I'm currently evaluating a solution that merges the best of both H3 and H5, which is:
  • Match 75s, etc., against 75s first, and then expand down to 56
  • But match 50s at worst against 40s (actually, no lower than 42)
  • This has to be done within one expansion rule still, so it's a bit tricky
If that works out, I'll let you know.
What is this 50/75 stuff? Spartan rank? MMR?

---

Where do you report bugs at?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/screenshots?page=1&gamertag=radar3301enigma#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_screenshot_radar3301enigma_986eb6ef-3fed-48d2-97fa-e878943d3472
Spoiler:
Show
The MCC section is here.

That Platinum was probably partied up with someone. I highly doubt you'd see a lone-searching Plat 6 match up against Silvers under any circumstance.

The 50/75 stuff is ranks in H3 which were converted to the tiers we have in H5. As it relates to H5, those ranks apply to Diamonds (the ~50s) up to Champs (the ~75s).

The bugs can be reported here.
Hey does anyone know why I got these three matches in a row... it was rather frustrating to match Champs 3 times in my ranking games while solo queuing....

Spoiler:
Show
I wanted to give some positive feedback regarding the MM changes and how it pertains to BtB.

Preface - I run with an 8 person team. Since the new MM changes went into effect, we're running into more and more organized teams. This has been a breath of fresh air for our group. I know there are teams out there that want to just pub stomp solo queue players, but that's not us. I love running into those teams and giving them a nice sweat fest.

I've also BtB'd as a solo queue player I haven't had many games where I run into teams

One question I do have though: How does the game determine when to allow a Join in Progress?
Two anecdotes that frame this question. First one: My team was running as a party of 7 and I was late to join. The match was 3-4 minutes in and the single solo queue person on our team quit. I joined the fireteam and the lobby just told me "waiting to join Match in Progress" and my team never got the slot filled. Second one: Yesterday we were running a game of Assault on Echoes and half of the enemy team quit, but people kept Joining in Progress. The game never got above a party of 4 as people kept loading in and quitting. Finally the game ended and 7 people joined only to have a loss added to their record.
@ZaedynFel: Umm what is this???

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/119e9241-593e-4d38-94b5-c5f2c48a49b0/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=2&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

Only 1 Tier apart on average, which is within current tolerance. Both of you were in parties of 4.
I wanted to give some positive feedback regarding the MM changes and how it pertains to BtB.

Preface - I run with an 8 person team. Since the new MM changes went into effect, we're running into more and more organized teams. This has been a breath of fresh air for our group. I know there are teams out there that want to just pub stomp solo queue players, but that's not us. I love running into those teams and giving them a nice sweat fest.

I've also BtB'd as a solo queue player I haven't had many games where I run into teams

One question I do have though: How does the game determine when to allow a Join in Progress?Two anecdotes that frame this question. First one: My team was running as a party of 7 and I was late to join. The match was 3-4 minutes in and the single solo queue person on our team quit. I joined the fireteam and the lobby just told me "waiting to join Match in Progress" and my team never got the slot filled. Second one: Yesterday we were running a game of Assault on Echoes and half of the enemy team quit, but people kept Joining in Progress. The game never got above a party of 4 as people kept loading in and quitting. Finally the game ended and 7 people joined only to have a loss added to their record.
There are some rules within the game mode itself that decide whether it's still worth letting players in.

Sometimes, a friend JIP will contend with the game backfilling as well, so it's not always easy to do that. Could be someone was taking longer than usual to get into the match.

Game states can change fast enough that JIP rules are always tricky to write.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5