OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
ZaedynFel wrote:
Warzone Changes vs. MatchmakingThe last blog post also mentioned some Warzone gameplay changes. I just wanted to give a little motivation from a matchmaking point of view on these changes.
From monitoring the matchmaking data, we noticed that around 75% of Warzone matches were won by whichever team had the higher total MMR. This is despite having a pretty large population of players playing in Warzone.
We also found that tightening matchmaking didn’t have a strong enough effect on this, at least not without making it way tighter than people are currently used to, and drastically increasing wait times.
Usually, when both population is high and tighter matching doesn’t immediately help, it means that the game mode itself could use some attention.
So the matchmaking designers met with the original Warzone designers and asked what they thought. The settings changes we are seeing are the results of that cooperation, and part of an effort to increase match quality in Warzone.
This became a loooong rant. Pressed for time?
Just jump to "THE IMPORTANT PART"

To be fair, matchmaking is not very good at consistently finding good match-ups in ranked playlists, even while using "Focused Search Preference".
Here's a "fun" example of when Matchmaking truly delivers (Remember, this happened while using Focused):

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/4fbfb6a1-bea5-4cb7-8653-18008a16cc26/players/lovelyjoey21605?gameHistoryMatchIndex=50&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

Just looking through my matches in Ranked Playlists it's obvious that the matchmaking is having a hard time setting up FAIR games. It happens, but more often it keeps setting up games that simply aren't fair.
That's been the case since Launch of Halo 5: Guardians.
When matchmaking can't make equal teams of 4 in Slayer, how do you expect it to make equal teams of 12, in a more complex setting like Warzone?

"the game mode itself could use some attention"
Yes. It should have been given "some attention" in the initial 2 months since Launch. Not almost 2 YEARS later.

It seems to me that for a while now you guys have been trying to fix the matchmaking model, a very complex device that probably is not going to become GOOD, ever.
(unless you are currently training a Deep-learning model for it, which definitely can become far superior to any of the classical models)

Matchmaking today is "good enough". The biggest problem is that you seem to think that the implementation of your game modes are perfect. They are not.
Matchmaking makes really uneven teams go up against each other every now and then. Instead of trying to "fix" such a massively complex problem, that obviously takes years (as matchmaking still often does make a proper mess), focus on the easy stuff.
Fix how your game handles unfair match-ups.

First and foremost:
Recognise the fact that when players are put in uneven teams, they have a tendency to quit out of games. YOUR matchmaking made the teams, don't use the Banhammer as a way to punish people for YOUR mistake. That's not a good way to grow a player-base.

Ranked:
Introduce a "Mercy-rule".
Games like these should have ended early. 1v4, and my only way out would have been quitting and getting a banhammer.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/3aca9ba3-3ad9-431a-a60e-c3ca5b161359/players/lovelyjoey21605?gameHistoryMatchIndex=71&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

Here's another example:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/946bbf16-716d-4e52-a768-3e66bb6815b5/players/lovelyjoey21605?gameHistoryMatchIndex=11&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

What was the point of playing this match to the 50 kills mark? It was decided WAY earlier. Speed things along.
The game should recognise and end matches like these early. Very easy to implement, and gives massive quality of life gains to the game.
It helps players get the most out of their limited playtime.
No one wants to be stuck in that kind of game, I've been on both ends and I hate when it happens.

Warzone:
The biggest problem with Warzone has always been how the Snowball Effect reigns supreme.
Matchmaking is far from perfect, so the game-mode itself has to cushion the effect of uneven teams.
REQ-levels should be co-dependent on how both teams are doing.
Use the REQ-levels as a way of MINIMISING the gap between both teams, not maximising it.
When REQ-levels are increased on a personal level, completely disregarding the enemy team's REQ-level, you create a game-mode where blowout games are going to be WAY more regular than even games.

It took you 2 YEARS to figure out that the way REQ-levels increased and was balanced across teams was a bad idea?

THE IMPORTANT PART:
I think it is great that you guys are still trying to tweak how your matchmaking model operates, and you should. The problem is that you are relying so heavily on fixing something so complex, rather than quickly introducing simple quality of life changes that reduces the impact of poor matchmaking (which happens often).
I imagine you have been trying to improve matchmaking for months (probably longer), and frankly it's still, almost two years since launch, performing poorly.

Changes to how the game modes recognises and handles instances of poor matchmaking could (SHOULD) have been implemented during the first two months since launch.
(I say changes, but right now not a single game mode in Halo 5: Guardians has a protocol in place for when matches become one-sided, nor a game-mode feature in place to minimise how bad blowout games can get)

It could even have been crude things such as:
One team down by 20 kills in a Ranked game of Slayer? End game.
One team down by 30 kills in a Ranked game of Capture the Flag? End game.
One player stuck at REQ-level 3 when a player of the enemy team has REQ-level 7 in a game of Warzone? Automatically increase the first players REQ-level.

These could have been tweaked to near perfection by now!

This would have effectively reduced the impact of poor matchmaking, and it could hav been implemented when it still mattered. Two years later? How much of your potential player-base do you think was lost?
To be fair, matchmaking is not very good at consistently finding good match-ups in ranked playlists, even while using "Focused Search Preference".
Here's a "fun" example of when Matchmaking truly delivers (Remember, this happened while using Focused):

Game example 1
You have to take into account that you are searching with a friend. Yes, you may be a Plat 2, but your friend is a Gold 2. I can't remember right off the top of my head ir they just average out your MMR or what, but the match isn't just going to match you guys up agains Plats. How much fun would that be for your friend?

Just looking through my matches in Ranked Playlists it's obvious that the matchmaking is having a hard time setting up FAIR games. It happens, but more often it keeps setting up games that simply aren't fair.
That's been the case since Launch of Halo 5: Guardians.
When matchmaking can't make equal teams of 4 in Slayer, how do you expect it to make equal teams of 12, in a more complex setting like Warzone?
I find it odd that you don't seem to take into account the fact that when you are playing ranked you are playing with a player who is at least one full rank below you. Doesn't that factor into your ideas on a fair match? Granted even with that there should be a way to evenly match up a game, but if you are just looking at CSR that's your reason right there. The real numbers that they use are our MMR. We don't even see and according to Menke are very different from our CSR. I don't have the exact quote right now, but I know he has specifically said you cannot go by CSR alone. It is not always the best indication of skill unfortunately.

Games like these should have ended early. 1v4, and my only way out would have been quitting and getting a banhammer.
Game example 2
Here there is only a 1 tier difference in any of the players so this is actually within the parameters of the matchmaking system. They have been tightened recently. Also, you did not have to stay in the game to avoid a ban. There is now a soft forfeit feature that allows you to quit the game, as long as you are NOT the first to do so, and avoid the possibility of a ban. You will still receive a CSR reduction just like a loss. This is only in the Ranked playlist.

Here's another example:
Game example 3
Sometimes blowouts like this happen. I don't agree that there should be a mercy rule for situations like this though. There has to be some player responsibility on our part. If we can't come back in a Slayer game when the matchmaking is working then it's not the games fault. I think we need to have blowouts every once in a while and be on both sides of them. Heck, if we didn't have them we never would have had The Steak medal (oh wait it's not in this game, well you know what I mean), or the term in the first place.

I search on Focused too. I search solo and consistently find evenly skilled matches. I will agree that there are a good amount of things they should have done in the beginning, but those arguments do not flow with the examples you gave us.
Thanks, for the update.
I realise this is a problem for a small minority but I thought i would let you guys know all the same. I live in Australia and play mainly swat, I got up to champ 77 but I have had to continuously create new accounts to be able to find games when I don't have an American friend to host the fireteam for me, when I try to play on my main and do find opponents they will often be from mexico or spain or somewhere so far that i actually have to lead my shots to where I think their head is going to be, in order to get a kill..
since the latest update im finding the game nearly unplayable, it could just be me but I'm timing out of searching for games and when I do the ping is insane, I also can't tell if it's my elite controller or the game but my aim is really jittery (like before Microsoft brought out the radial calculation feature in the elite's settings)
I understand it's a small problem with extremely complicated solutions but it would be great if there was some sort of low latency priority especially in a game type like swat
cheers,
DaxSeven09 wrote:
You know what I apologize. I got that numbers part wrong. I was thinking of the XP, and RP gained. All we see is another progression bar on Waypoint as well. It would be nice if we did see actual numbers.

Good luck in your queue! We may run into each other. We are around the same rank.
No worries!

I'd be cool with that.
Weird that this thread hasn't been locked yet despite being archived, no? Who handles that responsibility? The Monitors or 343i? Just wondering.
eLantern wrote:
Weird that this thread hasn't been locked yet despite being archived, no? Who handles that responsibility? The Monitors or 343i? Just wondering.

Rather than bumping it, report it with a note and we'll get to it. Sometimes things don't stick. Comments like these don't help anything.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7