Social and Warzone Matchmaking UpdateWe’ve gotten Social and Warzone matchmaking to a decent state with recent changes. It may be a tight enough at this point that we can test expanding the search faster than we do now.
In looking at the current settings we’ve decided to speed up how fast the new team balancing rule expands its tolerance in Social and Warzone. We were expanding over 150 seconds and are lowering that down to what the rest of the Social rules are at, which is 40 seconds.
The worst case we allow in the matchmaking isn’t changing, but by expanding the team balancing rule faster, it should give players more chances to get into matches than before by not holding them back for a match that was unlikely to happen.
We’ll be monitoring the results to inform further tuning.
Searching WZ solo (or in small fireteams) is a horrible matchmaking experience for me, unfortunately. I often search in fireteams so I wanted to see what the experience was like searching solo with these new parameters.
I tried searching solo (or in small fireteams) the past 2 days since these changes took effect, and the matchmaking fairness was among the worst I've seen. These parameters just do not work well for solo queue players (or small fireteams) with high MMR. Here's my recent game history of solo (or small fireteam searches), and i specify each game how many people I had in my fireteam.
Out of my past 15 games played, 12 were solo or with small fireteams - I've linked those below. Of those 12 games, 9 were very unbalanced, against high MMR 12-man fireteams. Only 2 of the 12 were remotely fair games. So basically I am matching high MMR 12-mans 75% of the time when i search WZ solo. That doesn't seem like the system is working as intended for solo queue players...
- (solo) JIP in a pretty much hopeless game
- (solo) Lose to a 12-man.
- (4-man) Match the same 12-man, though several of them lag out or quit early so we have an easy win. Would have probably been an awful game otherwise.
- (4-man) Lose to a 12-man.
- (solo) Lose to a 12-man.
- (solo) Lose to the same 12-man.
- (2-man) Lose to the same 12-man.
- (solo) Lose to a fireteam of unknown size. this was a reasonably fair game.
- (solo) Lose to an 11-man.
- (12-man) I join the 11-man and we win easily. - N/A since I'm in a 12-man.
- (12-man) Match a 12-man and lose a close game. This was a fair game. N/A since I'm in a 12-man.
- (12-man) Lose to another 12-man. This was fair too. N/A since I'm in a 12-man.
- (2-man) lose to unknown size fireteam. This was a winnable game.
- (2-man) farmed hard by a 12 man god squad. How did this match get made, please tell me?
- (2-man) match the same 12-man god squad that farmed me, I dashboard quit before the game starts.
TL;DR - I constantly match full fireteams while searching solo. If I'm not matching full fireteams (like when I solo search WZA), I simply get "unable to match" errors. Josh, I've posted this before, but if the MM platform can handle this, please consider making it easier for solo queue players and small fireteams to get into lower MMR games, so they aren't stuck between a rock and a hard place: either unable to match or matching 12-mans all the time. It's fine if you give me the worst teammates and make me carry, but matching 12-mans 75% of the time searching solo is just toxic.