[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – January 16

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Matchmaking Over the Weekend
There were intermittent Xbox Live outages over the weekend that affected matchmaking in Halo 5. The Xbox Live team is investigating to prevent it from happening again.

Playlist Popularity
Here’s an update on playlist popularity, using the last week. Not a ton of movement over the last 7 days. Quick Play landed well.

Super Fiesta
Slayer
Heroic Warzone Firefight
Warzone
Quick Play
Infection
Big Team Battle
Castle Wars
Legendary Warzone Firefight
HaloWC 2018
SWAT
Action Sack
Doubles
Team Arena
Mythic Warzone Firefight
Free For All
Breakout
Snipers
Warzone Assault
Grifball
Can you talk about whether Quick Play served its intended role in its first week? Maybe discuss the distribution of players in the playlist, and if there was any correlation between retention and account creation (i.e. did new players stick to the playlist after trying it out)?
Josh Menke, it's really great that you provide us with these playlist population updates. Thank you.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Matchmaking Over the WeekendThere were intermittent Xbox Live outages over the weekend that affected matchmaking in Halo 5. The Xbox Live team is investigating to prevent it from happening again.
Playlist Popularity
  • Free For All
  • Breakout
  • Snipers
  • Warzone Assault
  • Grifball
What are the plans for these playlists given they are consistently at the bottom of the list?
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Matchmaking Over the WeekendThere were intermittent Xbox Live outages over the weekend that affected matchmaking in Halo 5. The Xbox Live team is investigating to prevent it from happening again.
Playlist Popularity
  • Free For All
  • Breakout
  • Snipers
  • Warzone Assault
  • Grifball
What are the plans for these playlists given they are consistently at the bottom of the list?
I can't imagine FFA (aka Lone Wolves) going anywhere and being at the bottom of the list probably doesn't hurt it as much as other playlists might suffer from lower population given the lack of team balancing by the matchmaker.

Also, I don't think Warzone Assault will be removed given the resource investment that was put towards making maps that are only available within that mode; however, maybe they attempt to refresh it slightly (not sure how) or incorporate those maps within Firefight and then remove Warzone Assault (added bonus is that it presents a type of refresh for Firefight), but either of those two possibilities may be unlikely because of the resource investment needed to achieve them.

While Grifball has its dedicated followers its just not a very popular mode apparently, so I wonder if what might be best for it is to turn it into a weekend only featured playlist or rotate it within the week to two week long featured playlists?

I still believe Breakout deserves to remain available more often than a rare featured option and I think it'd play well within the social environment, so I'm hoping to see the past Breakout settings combined with the current Breakout settings in a social mixed-bag Breakout playlist that also rotates in-and-out every two weeks with an Extermination playlist. That way one of these playlists (Breakout or Extermination) would always be available.

Ranked snipers likely gets removed for consolidation purposes, but I'd love to see a social Shotty Snips appear within a set rotation of primary playlists that appear as featured playlists on a fairly regular basis: Modern Throwback, Classic Throwback, Shotty Snips, Castle Wars, and Community Skirmish. I think the wackier modes like Rock n Rail, Mythic Shotty Snips, Rocket Party, FFA Super Fiesta, FFA SWAT, Rumble Rockets, Multi-Team, and Covenant Slayer that occasionally make appearances as featured playlists would be best off being blended into the Action Sack playlist to help keep it somewhat fresh and a lot more diverse.
If I had to guess, I'd say those playlists have been near the bottom for a long time.

FFA has always had settings and ranking issues (been reading that ranking is a current issue), Breakout had the settings controversy and hasn't really been touched since that I know of, Snipers is probably better suited as a social playlist, WZA had the 6 fireteam limit hurt it as well as not really having a refresh for it in forever and Grifball hasn't had anything done with it that I know of for a very long time.

I'd play FFA if it was social and had objective gametypes added to it. Oddball, KOTH, Headhunter and Juggernaut to name some.
Did you guys see a good spike in population for the free weekend?

Curious...why not make Halo 5 MP free to help boost population? Maybe just a few playlists are free? It's a 2-year-old game, HCS + MLG are finally partnered once again, seems like the appropriate time to get as many people into Halo.

For Halo 6, also curious if 343 and MS ever thought of making that MP free for all XBL users. If 343 wants to put Halo back on top in the esports world, seems like the first step is to get as many people on Halo as possible. A $60 entry fee, console exclusive doesn't stand a chance with these multiplats, no matter how good the game is. As a huge fan of all things Halo, I feel that Halo should be on top of the esports world and wonder what will it take to get it there.

Love all the great work 343 has done so far with the Halo franchise, cheers to all the hard work!

<3 A fan.
Infection is really high on the list yet most of the day searching on balanced I can't find a game for 2-3 minutes, and at least 5 times today I was kicked with the error "not enough players are searching". Why is this happening when there should be lots of players for me to match?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then paste in the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Para que muchas listas vuelvan a ser populares, deberían hacer lo siguiente:
Mejorar el ranking de FFA es muy injusto para ganar un juego siendo ónice contra diamante y recibir pocos puntos y perder uno y se llevan más de 20.
Francotiradores: Debes hacer esta lista como estaba en H2, Halo Reach donde solo había mapas grandes y demostrar habilidad con el rifle de precisión.
Dobles: incluya las reglas de HCS para esta lista porque no también en FFA
Team Arena: esta lista nunca tiene población eliminarlo por eso este HCS.
Y finalmente, sé exacto con el reinicio de la temporada. Gracias
Infection is really high on the list yet most of the day searching on balanced I can't find a game for 2-3 minutes, and at least 5 times today I was kicked with the error "not enough players are searching". Why is this happening when there should be lots of players for me to match?
It might be that there isn't much of a difference in players between each playlist. Eventhough infection is 5th since there are soo many different playlists the actual number in a given playlist isn't actually too high even if it's near the top
For many lists to be popular again, they should do the following:
Improve the ranking of FFA is very unfair to win a game being onyx against diamond and receive few points and lose one and they take more than 20.
Snipers: Must make this list as it was in H2, Halo Reach where there were only large maps and demonstrate skill with the precision rifle.
Doubles: Include HCS rules for this list because not also in FFA
Team Arena: This list never has population remove it for that this HCS.
And finally, be exact with the restart of the season. Thank you
Are there any skill parameters presently in place for Quickplay matchmaking?
Are there any skill parameters presently in place for Quickplay matchmaking?
According to Menke, yes.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
ZaedynFel wrote:
Playlist Popularity
Again, for those interested in the movements:

1. Super Fiesta - No Change
2. Slayer - No Change
3. Heroic Warzone Firefight - No Change
4. Warzone - No Change
5. Quick Play *** NEW ***
6. Infection: Previous Rank: 7 -- Change: 1
7. Big Team Battle: Previous Rank: 6 -- Change: -1
8. Castle Wars: Previous Rank: 5 -- Change: -3
9. Legendary Warzone Firefight: Previous Rank: 11 -- Change: 2
10. HaloWC 2018: Previous Rank: 8 -- Change: -2
11. SWAT: Previous Rank: 10 -- Change: -1
12. Action Sack: Previous Rank: 9 -- Change: -3
13. Doubles - No Change
14. Team Arena: Previous Rank: 12 -- Change: -2
15. Mythic Warzone Firefight: Previous Rank: 18 -- Change: 3
16. Free-For-All: Previous Rank: 15 -- Change: -1
17. Breakout: Previous Rank: 16 -- Change: -1
18. Snipers: Previous Rank: 17 -- Change: -1
19. Warzone Assault - No Change
20. Grifball - No Change

Notes:
  • Shotty Snipers and Warzone Turbo were removed; Quick Play added.
  • The most significant movers were Legendary and Mythic WZFF, which increased in popularity.
  • Both HCS and Team Arena dropped in popularity.
  • With the exception of Mythic WZFF, the top 4 and bottom 5 playlists remained in their slots.
Any love coming to the Breakout playlist anytime soon? Update? Refresh? Feature? Been a while. Breakout fans deserve some attention too!
ZaedynFel wrote:
Many of you have brought to our attention that it’s possible to see a full match get set up, someone leaves, and then it struggles to fill that slot. It might actually be unrelated to matchmaking, strangely enough, and we are actively investigating it.
I was hoping to get an update on the investigation into this issue.

I have posted about my concerns, sent you a tweet, and will leave a link to two games from last night where this is still happening. Game 1, game 2. I was planning on playing for a few more hours, but this last one coupled with freezing lobbies after games and having to restart the game several times last night lead to so much frustration that I stopped playing. I have a high tolerance for these things, but this is just getting to the point where I struggle with even wanting to play. I don't think I have ever posted that in these forums. It hasn't been to this level since MCC, and that's saying a lot.

The other thing that drove me crazy, and I seriously don't understand why this is happening is these ridiculous JiP matches. This game was 10:50 into the match with a 2-0 score. I literally spawned in and the game ended one second later. I don't remember this happening with JiP in Halo 4. I remember there was a time limit there. Why isn't there one here?

All I want to do is play this game, and have some fun while doing it. These issues are making it really difficult to continue to do so.
FEEDBACK: Add population counter please. Also, Mythic Firefight is dope! :)
I suspect this is a known issue, but ever since the 4K update, my lobby has been freezing quite regularly (frozen screen, no sound), and I need to dashboard quit. Often happens during the post-game intermission, especially if I try to press B to back out during intermission. It also happens sometimes when I try to join an invite.
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
I suspect this is a known issue, but ever since the 4K update, my lobby has been freezing quite regularly (frozen screen, no sound), and I need to dashboard quit. Often happens during the post-game intermission, especially if I try to press B to back out during intermission. It also happens sometimes when I try to join an invite.
I assume you have the One S? I wonder if the One X has the same issue.

Edit: Woo! 100th post. I can finally post links...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3