OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Expansion Re-evaluation

We periodically review how tight our matches are compared to both target fairness and population throughout the day.

After running the numbers last week, we found we could loosen the restraints enough so all skill levels are more likely to match, while maintaining 70/30 as worst case odds. As always, we continue to keep an eye on these values and we also spot check requests from the community as time allows.

Playlist Popularity
Here’s an update on playlist popularity, using the last week.

Super Fiesta
Slayer
Heroic Warzone Firefight
Warzone
Quick Play
Infection
Big Team Battle
Legendary Warzone Firefight
Castle Wars
SWAT
HaloWC 2018
Action Sack
Team Arena
Doubles
Mythic Warzone Firefight
Snipers
Breakout
Free For All
Warzone Assault
Grifball
I search with my friend on fiesta and we join a lobby with a player missing already 99% of the time so I'm a little surprised it's #1. Why put us in a lobby without all the players in?
I'm curious to how the playlists at the bottom even function? I haven't been ranked in ANY playlist this season because matches never get found. Literally. I haven't found a single Breakout match the entirety of this season. Yet I can turn around and search Grifball, the least popular, and get matches all day long no problem.

Also, the known issue of lobbies filling in BTB just for 1-4 players to drop out of the search and never get replaced is a problem again. We get stuck searching for 5 minutes with no one being added just to get a timeout error. It's not as bad as before but I've noticed it creeping back in lately.
I would really like to have a Social Slayer/Skirmish playlist added. I know that the playlist populations are already low and Quinn doesn't believe that it should be a social playlist. However I think its a staple that has been in Halo in previous iterations and should be added in Halo 5 as well. My friends and I play every week but everybody is struggling to play only Fiesta and BTB everyweek. Ranked is a bit out of the question because we have some players who play at Onyx/Diamond level and others that are around Silver/Gold. It's always not going to be fun for the weaker players.
Now that Quick Play has been around a couple weeks (and is well within the top third of most popular playlists), can you talk about how it’s been doing? What kind of players mostly populate it: new or old? Do new players who try it tend to stick around in it? More specifically, I’m wondering how tight it’s matchmaking is compared to ranked playlists and whether looser matchmaking is good or bad for new players.
Chimera30 wrote:
Now that Quick Play has been around a couple weeks (and is well within the top third of most popular playlists), can you talk about how it’s been doing? What kind of players mostly populate it: new or old? Do new players who try it tend to stick around in it? More specifically, I’m wondering how tight it’s matchmaking is compared to ranked playlists and whether looser matchmaking is good or bad for new players.
Quick play is a sweatfest at times lol. I've played it a few times with my brothers (who are considerably lower ranked than me) and I'm usually the only decent player on the team, meanwhile the other team gets 2+ players that are ranked high in various playlists. Have had two games where our two teammates quit and it was just my brother and I left. I mainly use it as warm-up/practice but some kids take it seriously and play as if they're 1win away from Champ 1 in HCS lmao. The newer players either have stayed in and get wrecked, or they quit the match out of frustration.

I would assume most of the new players are turned off by it if it is frequently matching them vs diamond, onyx or champ players.
Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Quick play is a sweatfest at times lol. I've played it a few times with my brothers (who are considerably lower ranked than me) and I'm usually the only decent player on the team, meanwhile the other team gets 2+ players that are ranked high in various playlists. Have had two games where our two teammates quit and it was just my brother and I left. I mainly use it as warm-up/practice but some kids take it seriously and play as if they're 1win away from Champ 1 in HCS lmao. The newer players either have stayed in and get wrecked, or they quit the match out of frustration.

I would assume most of the new players are turned off by it if it is frequently matching them vs diamond, onyx or champ players.
I've heard other people say similar things. I don't know what the answer is here.... I'd say make the quickplay playlist for people under a certain SR level only or something.... but that wouldn't stop second accounts in anyway though, so I don't know.... Still, I almost think it might be the best way to go though.

People that are new should have a place to play that they know (most of the time anyways...) that the people they are playing are also new and are learning the game.
Is the loosening for all playlists or just social?
To add on to Chimera30's question - do you think the success of Quickplay could be a good indication for a more streamlined playlist selection?
I search with my friend on fiesta and we join a lobby with a player missing already 99% of the time so I'm a little surprised it's #1. Why put us in a lobby without all the players in?
I almost get an instant game with super fiesta unlike most other playlist, not surprised it's number one. Assault on the other hand I get quick matches as well surprises me it's at the bottom.
Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
People that are new should have a place to play that they know (most of the time anyways...) that the people they are playing are also new and are learning the game.
I agree. I also wonder why Quick Play is strictly Slayer. If the point of the playlist is to help new players learn the game, it seems like objective modes would be important to include too. I mean, even 2+ years in, I still have players in ranked betray me for not capping a flag because they don’t realize that our flag has to be returned first. In my opinion, Slayer’s simple, kill the other team and try not to get killed your self, but objective gametypes, while not necessarily complicated, are a little more difficult to get the hang of. But I really just use Quick Play to warm up before hopping into ranked.
Since btb is so high on the list, is there any update on fixing the lobby problems it has been experiencing?
Thanks for loosening MMR! I might be able to find more solo q matches on expanded in warzone now, I actually got a game last week that wasn’t a JIP or stacked against me! :)
You should allow BTB games to start 6v6 at least, so more games could actually get started.
Loosening the MMR seems to have helped a lot I was able to find consistent matches in Warzone Assault in 5 mins or less which is great. Before it would take much longer or I couldn't find a match at all. This is great since it's my favorite playlist maybe with the changes more people will play since you can find matches quickly again
I like to have playable elites in Halo 6. I like invasion.
Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
I agree. I also wonder why Quick Play is strictly Slayer. If the point of the playlist is to help new players learn the game, it seems like objective modes would be important to include too. I mean, even 2+ years in, I still have players in ranked betray me for not capping a flag because they don’t realize that our flag has to be returned first. In my opinion, Slayer’s simple, kill the other team and try not to get killed your self, but objective gametypes, while not necessarily complicated, are a little more difficult to get the hang of. But I really just use Quick Play to warm up before hopping into ranked.
It's slayer only that is the most basic game type and Halo's beard and butter...so I get why 343I made it slayer only. I don't think that's why your teammates are killing you in that scenario. Most of the time when I see this, I think they are because they want to prolong the match and patented their stats.

I know others who use it as warm up as well. I think that is what people are using it mainly for to be honest.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Snipers
Breakout
Free For All
Warzone Assault
Grifball
What are the plans for these playlists? Consistently at the bottom of these lists since you started posting them.
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Snipers
Breakout
Free For All
Warzone Assault
Grifball
What are the plans for these playlists? Consistently at the bottom of these lists since you started posting them.
With the exception of Slayer, nearly all of the ranked playlists are consistently in the bottom half week to week. I'd think that'd be more of a concern than just the playlists at the very bottom if they have any intentions of doing anything.
I'm curious to how the playlists at the bottom even function? I haven't been ranked in ANY playlist this season because matches never get found. Literally. I haven't found a single Breakout match the entirety of this season. Yet I can turn around and search Grifball, the least popular, and get matches all day long no problem.

Also, the known issue of lobbies filling in BTB just for 1-4 players to drop out of the search and never get replaced is a problem again. We get stuck searching for 5 minutes with no one being added just to get a timeout error. It's not as bad as before but I've noticed it creeping back in lately.
I've played 448 games of Breakout this season. Haven't had a problem getting in a lobby/game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4