14. Doubles: Previous Rank: 13 -- Change: -1
15. Mythic Warzone Firefight: no change
16. Snipers: Previous Rank: 18 -- Change: 2
17. Breakout: no change
18. Free-For-All: Previous Rank: 16 -- Change: -2
19. Warzone Assault: no change
20. Grifball: no change

Notes: Very little movement this week.
I like to have playable elites in Halo 6. I like invasion.
Not the topic for this. There is a playable elites thread in the Halo 5 forums if you wish to continue discussion there, this thread however is for discussing Halo 5 matchmaking
I'm curious to how the playlists at the bottom even function? I haven't been ranked in ANY playlist this season because matches never get found. Literally. I haven't found a single Breakout match the entirety of this season. Yet I can turn around and search Grifball, the least popular, and get matches all day long no problem.

Also, the known issue of lobbies filling in BTB just for 1-4 players to drop out of the search and never get replaced is a problem again. We get stuck searching for 5 minutes with no one being added just to get a timeout error. It's not as bad as before but I've noticed it creeping back in lately.
I've played 448 games of Breakout this season. Haven't had a problem getting in a lobby/game.
Probably due to you being a Platinum. I'm typically top 100 Champion if I play and we play in 4's with all of us being that skill level. Just sucks that when all of us are able to get on and play that it's impossible if we want to do so.
stckrboy wrote:
I like to have playable elites in Halo 6. I like invasion.
Not the topic for this. There is a playable elites thread in the Halo 5 forums if you wish to continue discussion there, this thread however is for discussing Halo 5 matchmaking
343 wouldn't even respond to the forum. Trying to get their response. Sorry for being off topic.
That explain why i can't never find Warzone Assault since i reinstall the game a few weeks ago on xbox one X... BTW any news about the UI freeze, is getting out of hand restarting the game every 2-3 matches.
I'm curious to how the playlists at the bottom even function? I haven't been ranked in ANY playlist this season because matches never get found. Literally. I haven't found a single Breakout match the entirety of this season. Yet I can turn around and search Grifball, the least popular, and get matches all day long no problem.

Also, the known issue of lobbies filling in BTB just for 1-4 players to drop out of the search and never get replaced is a problem again. We get stuck searching for 5 minutes with no one being added just to get a timeout error. It's not as bad as before but I've noticed it creeping back in lately.
I've played 448 games of Breakout this season. Haven't had a problem getting in a lobby/game.
Probably due to you being a Platinum. I'm typically top 100 Champion if I play and we play in 4's with all of us being that skill level. Just sucks that when all of us are able to get on and play that it's impossible if we want to do so.
Ohhh. That really sucks then :/
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Is the loosening for all playlists or just social?
Twitter quote from Josh: " Most playlists across all modes.". Hopefully we will found out which playlists those are.

Also I asked Josh in twitter but haven't had a response yet. It's only been a few hours but I'm curious if anyone here will know. Has the Quickplay playlist been featured with quicker match times, and more balances games? Plus us it a permanent playlist. Luke the Notable has said as much in his video about the playlist and he has used Josh as the source. Funny thing is is I don't remember reading any of those thing mentioned by him or anyone at 343. I've searched around and just can't find it.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Is the loosening for all playlists or just social?
Twitter quote from Josh: " Most playlists across all modes.". Hopefully we will found out which playlists those are.

Also I asked Josh in twitter but haven't had a response yet. It's only been a few hours but I'm curious if anyone here will know. Has the Quickplay playlist been featured with quicker match times, and more balances games? Plus us it a permanent playlist. Luke the Notable has said as much in his video about the playlist and he has used Josh as the source. Funny thing is is I don't remember reading any of those thing mentioned by him or anyone at 343. I've searched around and just can't find it.
Based on the context of how Josh introduced the Quickplay playlist I assumed they were treating it as a permanent playlist with its primary purpose being to give newer players an obvious start point. I imagine that the only reason they may retract on that idea is if its population bottoms out. I also can't find anything that confirms per verbatim that it's a permanent or temporary playlist, so I think the context in which it was introduced is the most information we have to go off of.
Do you think it's time to start streamlining some of these playlists? It seems to me that you wouldn't need to loosen the restrictions unless the population was dropping. I know people want a million playlists, but there has to be a point where search times combined with match quality needs to override playlist quantity. Having lesser, but good options will help funnel more people into the remaining playlists giving faster search times and better matches. One example that you're already planning is combining HCS and Team Arena, but there are obviously more things that could be done.
Is anyone else a little perplexed why we weren't told which playlists have the different search parameters?
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Is anyone else a little perplexed why we weren't told which playlists have the different search parameters?
Not really. I just assumed it's for all playlists.

In any case, methinks the lobby issues and game freezes are directly related. Since these freezes seem to happen only after the intermission time is up or if you try to back out of the intermission screen (at least that's the only time it happens with me), if your game freezes, the system keeps trying to put you in the next game's lobby, but can't because your frozen, hence that last spot or two in a lobby that sometimes never gets filled until an error occurs.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Not really. I just assumed it's for all playlists.

In any case, methinks the lobby issues and game freezes are directly related. Since these freezes seem to happen only after the intermission time is up or if you try to back out of the intermission screen (at least that's the only time it happens with me), if your game freezes, the system keeps trying to put you in the next game's lobby, but can't because your frozen, hence that last spot or two in a lobby that sometimes never gets filled until an error occurs.
I assumed that as well but Josh tweeted that it was for "most playlists", when responding directly to a question about it. That's the main reason at my curiosity. I posted a link to it in this thread earlier today.

Tonight has been especially difficult to play. I have had two games in a row with the lobby screen freezing, and an inordinate amount of JiP matches with one about 15 kills til the end of the game.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Do you think it's time to start streamlining some of these playlists? It seems to me that you wouldn't need to loosen the restrictions unless the population was dropping. I know people want a million playlists, but there has to be a point where search times combined with match quality needs to override playlist quantity. Having lesser, but good options will help funnel more people into the remaining playlists giving faster search times and better matches. One example that you're already planning is combining HCS and Team Arena, but there are obviously more things that could be done.
The question is will streamlining playlists funnel those players to other playlists? Or will they just quit playing totally.. Theres no doubt the population is low. I get that this game has been out for sometime now.. I totally get that. But it shouldn't be in this condition as a Halo game.. Even if we start funneling playlists. Is that addressing the real issue of low population? To me its just a quick fix or a Band-Aid that may or may not work.. Ive been trying hard to get a few of my friends to pick this game up! But haven't had much success yet.
To me its just a quick fix or a Band-Aid that may or may not work.
The impression that I'm getting is that they aren't going to bother doing a big refresh on a lot of the playlists like Action Sack as one example which is pretty sad if true. That would be the real fix that is needed, but since it's likely that's not gonna happen this would be the next best thing. It is a risk, but I think it's a needed one.
Is Oddball now dead and buried or will it live on outside of HCS?
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I 100% think it's time.

Obviously we know that HCS and Team Arena will be, why it's taking so long is beyond me to be honest.

I think these should be the playlists right now or something close to this.

• FFA
  • Doubles
  • Team Slayer
  • HCS
  • SWAT
  • Breakout (only because they're commodations linked to it)
  • Super Fiesta
  • BTB
  • Infection
  • Quickplay
  • Warzone
  • WZFF Heroic
  • WZFF Legendary
  • Rotational playlist
Every other playlist (including ones not currently in, like Multi Team for example) should either be a Customs Browser thing and/or put into the rotational playlist slot.
I still can't find WZA games, searching solo queue, on expanded, mid-Atlantic USA region. Found 1 game between 5 "unable to match; not enough players" timeout errors. Whatever changes you made haven't helped high MMR solo queue players meaningfully.

I and many others still would love if you would consider a short term fix like this, and eventually a longer term fix.
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
I still can't find WZA games, searching solo queue, on expanded, mid-Atlantic USA region. Found 1 game between 5 "unable to match; not enough players" timeout errors. Whatever changes you made haven't helped high MMR solo queue players meaningfully.

I and many others still would love if you would consider a short term fix like this, and eventually a longer term fix.
Really ? I was in a similar situation as you before but you probably have a higher MMR than I do. Before it would take ages to find a game for me or nothing at all soo I stopped playing it for a while. But now I'm finding games almost instantly which is a big change. Is it possible that my MMR dropped somehow ? Just to clarify I'm normally searching around 6pm Pacific Time searching solo expanded
ZaedynFel wrote:
Expansion Re-evaluationWe periodically review how tight our matches are compared to both target fairness and population throughout the day.

After running the numbers last week, we found we could loosen the restraints enough so all skill levels are more likely to match, while maintaining 70/30 as worst case odds. As always, we continue to keep an eye on these values and we also spot check requests from the community as time allows.
I told my fiance (who's only played a handful of times) about the Quickplay playlist so I've got some genuine "complete-noob" got some feedback for you:

She's actually pretty thrilled... which, I really wasn't expecting.
I already knew that being overwhelmed with "too much to learn" was the main issue, but I had assumed it had more to do with learning the controls & the fast pace of the gameplay...
apparently the excessive map rotation was actually the larger concern all along, since she "has to learn the controls regardless," whereas having a new map every time is actually preventable, and makes it impossible to learn any sense of orientation in space or recognition of landmarks (paraphrasing).

Now that there's an opportunity to just focus on only a few things at once and actually learn the game (without falling off the map -- which happened 4x in a single match (3 of them in the same spot) on tyrant :p), she's actually interested in trying it out again for the first time in a while.
Although she was a bit disappointed to hear that "the pretty map" (Overgrowth or Heretic) weren't the ones chosen.

I'll be honest, I was pretty skeptical of a 3-map playlist actually being that much of a help to new players, but now I'm starting to think you guys really got it right with this one... hopefully there's something similar to it in Halo 6, because launch day/week is when capturing new players is going to matter the most. This far into H5, I'm not sure how much of an effect it could really have in the greater scheme of things.

Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
I've heard other people say similar things. I don't know what the answer is here.... I'd say make the quickplay playlist for people under a certain SR level only or something.... but that wouldn't stop second accounts in anyway
Not only that, it would actively reinforce the creation of multiple accounts...
And also shift the total distribution of players to favour smurfs anyway, as all the high-SR bronze/silver players (of which there are plenty) would be locked out, but less likely to circumvent that restriction with an extra account.

Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Now that Quick Play has been around a couple weeks (and is well within the top third of most popular playlists), can you talk about how it’s been doing? What kind of players mostly populate it: new or old? Do new players who try it tend to stick around in it? More specifically, I’m wondering how tight it’s matchmaking is compared to ranked playlists and whether looser matchmaking is good or bad for new players.
Quick play is a sweatfest at times lol. I've played it a few times with my brothers (who are considerably lower ranked than me) and I'm usually the only decent player on the team, meanwhile the other team gets 2+ players that are ranked high in various playlists. Have had two games where our two teammates quit and it was just my brother and I left. I mainly use it as warm-up/practice but some kids take it seriously and play as if they're 1win away from Champ 1 in HCS lmao. The newer players either have stayed in and get wrecked, or they quit the match out of frustration.

I would assume most of the new players are turned off by it if it is frequently matching them vs diamond, onyx or champ players.
Your team had an Onyx SR143, Diamond SR134, Platinum SR63 and yourself at Champion SR147..
I think your definition of "new player" is completely different from that of 343 :p

In any case, this update should help you 2, as the widening of MMR (particularly without losing the 70/30 accuracy) means that the game has a greater pool of opponents to choose from than the exclusively upper-ranks that your own MMR would tend attract.

Ragection wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
People that are new should have a place to play that they know (most of the time anyways...) that the people they are playing are also new and are learning the game.
I agree. I also wonder why Quick Play is strictly Slayer. If the point of the playlist is to help new players learn the game, it seems like objective modes would be important to include too. I mean, even 2+ years in, I still have players in ranked betray me for not capping a flag because they don’t realize that our flag has to be returned first. In my opinion, Slayer’s simple, kill the other team and try not to get killed your self, but objective gametypes, while not necessarily complicated, are a little more difficult to get the hang of. But I really just use Quick Play to warm up before hopping into ranked.
Actual new players don't even know how to figure out where their own base is, let alone whether or not their teammate is in a position to score. Adding objective would just be confusing and frustrating for the intended audience.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4