OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Is the server having issues or are we now in the middle of a modding fest by some players? I've been kicked out of 4 of my last 10 games because either the server is crashing or someone us running a mod like in the old days and I can't see the carnage reports to block users... can someone look into this please?
Could be your Xbox account profile is corrupted. Remove it from the Xbox, then re-add it. If that doesn't help, then idk.

Also, blocking users doesn't actually prevent you from matching them, just from them communicating to you. At least, that is how Halo works.
Is the server having issues or are we now in the middle of a modding fest by some players? I've been kicked out of 4 of my last 10 games because either the server is crashing or someone us running a mod like in the old days and I can't see the carnage reports to block users... can someone look into this please?
It's currently not possible to mod games or run unsigned code on the X1, so your issues won't be related to that
stckrboy wrote:
It's currently not possible to mod games or run unsigned code on the X1, so your issues won't be related to that
In addition, all that stuff comes from dedicated servers now and not player-hosted machines like before. There's no way another player can block data going from our independent servers to your machine.
Why is team slayer still punishing solo players? I would love to lose due to my performance. Unfortunately, 80% of the time I have to be the DD (the responsible one). So, 50% of those games are lost because I couldn't overcome the selfish play of bad teammates. Then players start quitting and I lose more. Then I get emo and start quitting.

I'm level 150+ so I've played a few games. It is so demoralizing to do well and lose soooo often. Can there be a better metric for vetting teammates? Assists? Number of games in?
Your recent game history doesn't show examples of you carrying super hard but losing. And you have been regularly losing to high gold and low plat players. So low gold makes sense to me.

Try not to think about slayer games so much as "getting kills". Think about them as helping your team to control good map positions and securing every round of powerups/power weapons. If you're not doing that, you're just letting your teammates get slaughtered, even if you're getting some kills on your own. If you hold good map positions and stay alive in them, and get the power weapons, kills will come. Don't chase kills, seek good positions and stay alive while dealing damage and being a distraction.

The reason for my comment is, you've been in a number of games with high-platinum players on your team and they've gone super negative with lots of assists. This usually happens because they're trying to make smart plays to control key positions, but getting no help, so ending up outnumbered all the time. It may mean you're off doing your own thing at important moments like power weapon / powerup spawns, or not helping the guy with the power weapon stay alive, etc.
ZaedynFel wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
In addition, all that stuff comes from dedicated servers now and not player-hosted machines like before. There's no way another player can block data going from our independent servers to your machine.
OK so I'm assuming the server was having an issue then today? I noticed everything changed from earlier until now so I'll just assume it was something that had to do with the update, thanks for answering... greatly appreciated
ZaedynFel wrote:
Can anyone elaborate on how "Focused" matchmaking is weighted these days?

I'm based in the US, and Focused no longer seems to have any correlation to "best connections". As far as I can tell, it seems to still to balance out player skills, but connection quality seems to be completely missing from the equation.

I am frequently matched against players in Mexico / Central & South America (based on Spartan clan names) that lag / rubber-band all over the map, which makes no sense given the matchmaking option I've selected. Lately, there seems to be no difference between Focused and Balanced, and the only difference with Expanded is it seems more likely to throw you in a game that is almost already over. I can't tell a difference from a connection quality perspective - the games range from "laggy and irritating but playable" to "so laggy it is unplayable".

[For context, my connection is 200+ mb up / 25 mb down, 27 ms ping on Xbox, no packet loss, no other devices consuming bandwidth during gaming, no buffer bloat, etc. The lag issue isn't on my end. If anything, I seem to be penalized for having too good of a connection.]
Focused controls what server you will get on.

Anyone else who would accept that server will also play with you.

It turns out parts of Mexico have very good connections to mid US datacenters, so as far as matchmaking is concerned, they are in the US.

Focused guarantees YOUR ping will be low, but NOT the other players. They can be anywhere up to even 500ms, though that will not be common.
Thanks for elaborating, and apologies if my follow-up questions are slightly off-topic from the thread, but any chance you can elaborate on what (if any) lag compensation or the like your servers implement in instances where the pings vary widely?

Here's why I ask - I'm in Dallas, so I guess I can understand why I would be paired with Mexican player w/ "very good connections". What doesn't make sense is why my playing experience would be so poor in those instances. Do you have any theories on what might be the root cause?

To be clear, the lag-related issues are not isolated to Mexican / Central / South American players, it just seems to be more predictable with them. It feels like a subset of those players are inadvertently given an unfair advantage by way of them frequently not appearing on radar, "strobing" (disappearing for multiple frames then briefly re-appearing), taking 2-3x more shots to kill, or seemingly being able to kill you in 1/2 the shots normally required.

When you're in a really bad game, it feels like the timing of the server has been completely disrupted (things slow down then fast forward, freeze, things like getting notified of a kill 15 sec after the fact). When you are playing against players with pronounced lag that seem to have super powers, like I described above, it almost feels like the action in the game has been queued on the server as a series of events, but the server is prioritizing events generated by the lagging players to try to compensate for their connection... or there's some type of damage adjustment applied to good connections to decrease their shot damage and boost damage for those on the poor connection.

I'm old. I've been around since the original Halo right after the Xbox came out. I also work in the cloud computing space so, while I'm not an expert on the gaming side of things, I have some subject matter experience on the networking side of things. These lag issues gradually became more pronounced around late summer timeframe, and it has gotten progressively worse (realize player attrition probably hasn't helped). I've done everything within my power to rule out the issue being on my end, but I'm at wits end at this point. I play with a friend who's in Ft Worth, and he has the same issues. Obviously, that's a small sample size but, from other posts I've seen on the forums, this doesn't appear to be isolated.

Is there anything that 343 is actively looking into related to these issues that you can talk about? (I realize that you guys are probably already far down the development and testing path with the next Halo game at this point...)
@underwood it isn’t isolated and it’s why I stopped playing the game. Good luck.
SGO SMACK wrote:
@underwood it isn’t isolated and it’s why I stopped playing the game. Good luck.
It's honestly, the reason a lot of people stopped playing the game.

In past titles, if you had a bad connection, that was on you...
if your connection got interrupted, you would rubber-band on your screen, while appearing to others, to either not move, or move slowly in 1 direction monotonously.

But in Halo 5, that person's bad connection is on everyone else...
Instead of rubber-banding on their own screen, now they just teleport around on everyone else's screen.

It's a very unfair system that caters to the laggers and only gets worse as the game gets later and later into the lifecycle.
It used to only be the 1 occasional person with a very weird connection, but now it's "leaking" into just regular gameplay...
Not as bad as the "full on teleporting" guys, but there's usually at least 1 person per game who gets these "mini-skips" every few seconds (looks kind of like a random 2x strafe speed), which is enough to turn the tide of a battle between 2 equally skilled players.

I've even played against 1 guy who figured out exactly how to abuse it -- he intentionally throttles his connection, but has an "un-throttle" mechanism set up to be tied to his shooting...
That way, his position on the map is uncertain to the server when he's just walking/sprinting around, so he appears to be teleporting around to everyone else... But the moment he shoots his pistol, the connection snaps back to normal for a few seconds, so his shots all register in that brief period.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, it's extremely consistent. And the "throttled" state was so intense that it wasn't just the normal short teleports, but giant leaps to the point where he would completely disappear from view anytime he gets shot... then re-appear beside you and get a perfect 5 shot before you even have time to turn on his new position.
Josh, I'm not sure if this is a better place to ask this question or if the MCC forum section is best, but with the recently posted news regarding the legacy team and that game I'm wondering if it will receive the new Trueskill system too?
eLantern wrote:
Josh, I'm not sure if this is a better place to ask this question or if the MCC forum section is best, but with the recently posted news regarding the legacy team and that game I'm wondering if it will receive the new Trueskill system too?
Can you post a link? I haven't seen this. Thanks!
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
eLantern wrote:
Can you post a link? I haven't seen this. Thanks!
Fantastic MCC News!
Use the "ask a question" thread in MCC for MCC questions please.
Use the "ask a question" thread in MCC for MCC questions please.
Yes, that was my thought and why I mentioned what I did within my question, but there's no denying that my question specifically related to this thread's topic (matchmaking) and its purpose to allow interaction with Josh; plus, he's likely the best 343 employee to answer my question regarding the new TrueSkill system.
I find the matchmaking horrible, I set it on focused and get teammates that sit corners and die, and enemies that find this PERFECT spot and just sit there and never die the entire game.
I find the matchmaking horrible, I set it on focused and get teammates that sit corners and die, and enemies that find this PERFECT spot and just sit there and never die the entire game.
Sounds like a problem with the people, not matchmaking. I'm quite certain technology isn't advanced enough to predict every single thing a person will do before a game even begins.
Why is team slayer still punishing solo players?
It's a team game, not a solo game. If you want to be rated in a solo environment, there's FFA.
That's kind of a snide remark. Yes, I can see the choices, the menus too, really, I swear I can - there's a flat thing in front of me that changes colors and shapes at a specified frequency - it's amazing.

Anyway - maybe you can be there, every game, to tell my teammates this breaking news.
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Why is team slayer still punishing solo players? I would love to lose due to my performance. Unfortunately, 80% of the time I have to be the DD (the responsible one). So, 50% of those games are lost because I couldn't overcome the selfish play of bad teammates. Then players start quitting and I lose more. Then I get emo and start quitting.

I'm level 150+ so I've played a few games. It is so demoralizing to do well and lose soooo often. Can there be a better metric for vetting teammates? Assists? Number of games in?
Your recent game history doesn't show examples of you carrying super hard but losing. And you have been regularly losing to high gold and low plat players. So low gold makes sense to me.

Try not to think about slayer games so much as "getting kills". Think about them as helping your team to control good map positions and securing every round of powerups/power weapons. If you're not doing that, you're just letting your teammates get slaughtered, even if you're getting some kills on your own. If you hold good map positions and stay alive in them, and get the power weapons, kills will come. Don't chase kills, seek good positions and stay alive while dealing damage and being a distraction.

The reason for my comment is, you've been in a number of games with high-platinum players on your team and they've gone super negative with lots of assists. This usually happens because they're trying to make smart plays to control key positions, but getting no help, so ending up outnumbered all the time. It may mean you're off doing your own thing at important moments like power weapon / powerup spawns, or not helping the guy with the power weapon stay alive, etc.
I'm not sure how far in my game history you've combed, BUT, your criticism and advice is welcome. However, the more recent games are played with frustratingly hopeful zeal. This means I was not playing at my optimum. In fact, I haven't for a while, which might seem a convenient position. Again, I've tried, I've already played with the "team-first" attitude, but every one else plays with a "me-first" attitude; not to be confused with "America-first."
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Well, failing success running solo in a team playlist, perhaps it's time to try out playing with a team. I don't play with a squad very often, but when I do, I drink Dos Equ-- I mean, the game feels much easier. Being on the same page with the rest of your team makes a difference. Certainly beats hoping your randoms are better than the randoms on the other team.
Um, okay? What was this?

Edit: And this one?
Right finally found the right thread to post on. What has happened to the match making in warzone? It seems to match solo's against teams alot. 20 games only 3 wins its rough on solo queing players and cant be deemed as fair.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5