[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – January 29

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5
We need a BTB refresher. Maps are getting kind of stale. 2 or 3 need to go and 5 more added.
In past titles, if you had a bad connection, that was on you...
if your connection got interrupted, you would rubber-band on your screen, while appearing to others, to either not move, or move slowly in 1 direction monotonously.

But in Halo 5, that person's bad connection is on everyone else...
Instead of rubber-banding on their own screen, now they just teleport around on everyone else's screen.

It's a very unfair system that caters to the laggers and only gets worse as the game gets later and later into the lifecycle.
It used to only be the 1 occasional person with a very weird connection, but now it's "leaking" into just regular gameplay...
Not as bad as the "full on teleporting" guys, but there's usually at least 1 person per game who gets these "mini-skips" every few seconds (looks kind of like a random 2x strafe speed), which is enough to turn the tide of a battle between 2 equally skilled players.

I've even played against 1 guy who figured out exactly how to abuse it -- he intentionally throttles his connection, but has an "un-throttle" mechanism set up to be tied to his shooting...
That way, his position on the map is uncertain to the server when he's just walking/sprinting around, so he appears to be teleporting around to everyone else... But the moment he shoots his pistol, the connection snaps back to normal for a few seconds, so his shots all register in that brief period.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, it's extremely consistent. And the "throttled" state was so intense that it wasn't just the normal short teleports, but giant leaps to the point where he would completely disappear from view anytime he gets shot... then re-appear beside you and get a perfect 5 shot before you even have time to turn on his new position.
First time poster here on the forum, but not new to Halo and Halo 5 in particular.

I completely agree that there are issues with bad connections and lagging. I think network imperfections when playing a multiplayer game online are, to a degree, to be expected due to so many varying factors (internal and external) and will be for quite some time.

With that said, I don't agree that this usually happens to at least 1 person every game. I think that's a gross exaggeration and if there were network issues that usually happened to at least 1 person every single game then Halo 5 probably wouldn't have even made it out of Beta.

Obviously, players, the Halo development team, fans, sponsors alike, would like to have a perfect network connection to have the smoothest gameplay possible so I'm sure they're doing their best to work on and improve the connection reliability.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Social and Warzone TweaksAs some of you have already noticed, we tweaked Super Fiesta, Quick Play, Warzone, Big Team Battle, Grifball, and Warzone Assault to help higher-skilled players and larger high-skilled FireTeams get into matches more consistently.
Is this effecting the matchmaking in terms of putting people against higher skilled players? I’ve been consistently scoring positive kd ratios in Super Fiesta over the past couple months, and then a few days ago I startes (and still am) getting negative kd in nearly every single game. Did this tweak simply start putting me against much better players?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show

This post has been hidden.

@ZaedynFel
Is it possible to make ranked matchmaking, mainly in HALOWC 2018, keep the matching to a 1 division difference? For example, Onyx and Diamonds can match each other but you can't have Onyx match Platinum players due to a 2 division difference. If you do this, matchmaking will become more consistent when it comes to organized gameplay. Right now it's not fun when I match people 2 out from my division. It gets way too chaotic and stressful watching people hold forward without any idea on what should be focused.

Also I've heard many people complain about this. Thanks.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Can anyone elaborate on how "Focused" matchmaking is weighted these days?

I'm based in the US, and Focused no longer seems to have any correlation to "best connections". As far as I can tell, it seems to still to balance out player skills, but connection quality seems to be completely missing from the equation.

I am frequently matched against players in Mexico / Central & South America (based on Spartan clan names) that lag / rubber-band all over the map, which makes no sense given the matchmaking option I've selected. Lately, there seems to be no difference between Focused and Balanced, and the only difference with Expanded is it seems more likely to throw you in a game that is almost already over. I can't tell a difference from a connection quality perspective - the games range from "laggy and irritating but playable" to "so laggy it is unplayable".

[For context, my connection is 200+ mb up / 25 mb down, 27 ms ping on Xbox, no packet loss, no other devices consuming bandwidth during gaming, no buffer bloat, etc. The lag issue isn't on my end. If anything, I seem to be penalized for having too good of a connection.]
Focused controls what server you will get on.

Anyone else who would accept that server will also play with you.

It turns out parts of Mexico have very good connections to mid US datacenters, so as far as matchmaking is concerned, they are in the US.

Focused guarantees YOUR ping will be low, but NOT the other players. They can be anywhere up to even 500ms, though that will not be common.
I'm old. I've been around since the original Halo right after the Xbox came out. I also work in the cloud computing space so, while I'm not an expert on the gaming side of things, I have some subject matter experience on the networking side of things. These lag issues gradually became more pronounced around late summer timeframe, and it has gotten progressively worse (realize player attrition probably hasn't helped). I've done everything within my power to rule out the issue being on my end, but I'm at wits end at this point. I play with a friend who's in Ft Worth, and he has the same issues. Obviously, that's a small sample size but, from other posts I've seen on the forums, this doesn't appear to be isolated.

Is there anything that 343 is actively looking into related to these issues that you can talk about? (I realize that you guys are probably already far down the development and testing path with the next Halo game at this point...)
I have exactly the same issues. I'm in central California and get teamed with Mexico almost daily. It's really bad lag for whatever reason. I play with friends in Ireland and it's nowhere near as bad as Mexico. Yesterday one game was unplayable. I'm cruising along in a ghost, one minute I'm in the middle of the road the next I'm on top of a hill. I get killed in two shots, don't even have time to move and I'm dead. Forget getting into a gun fight with anyone, it's like a time warp, I'm a second behind everyone else. I too am from the IT world, retired now.
We need a BTB refresher. Maps are getting kind of stale. 2 or 3 need to go and 5 more added.
Rotating the current maps to earlier ones would be ok with me.
I am sorry but i cant play on my main account anymore with or without my friends. Its to unbalanced. Thank you for doing what you have done to the matchmaking in the past two weeks.
BadDogg55 wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Can anyone elaborate on how "Focused" matchmaking is weighted these days?

I'm based in the US, and Focused no longer seems to have any correlation to "best connections". As far as I can tell, it seems to still to balance out player skills, but connection quality seems to be completely missing from the equation.

I am frequently matched against players in Mexico / Central & South America (based on Spartan clan names) that lag / rubber-band all over the map, which makes no sense given the matchmaking option I've selected. Lately, there seems to be no difference between Focused and Balanced, and the only difference with Expanded is it seems more likely to throw you in a game that is almost already over. I can't tell a difference from a connection quality perspective - the games range from "laggy and irritating but playable" to "so laggy it is unplayable".

[For context, my connection is 200+ mb up / 25 mb down, 27 ms ping on Xbox, no packet loss, no other devices consuming bandwidth during gaming, no buffer bloat, etc. The lag issue isn't on my end. If anything, I seem to be penalized for having too good of a connection.]
Focused controls what server you will get on.

Anyone else who would accept that server will also play with you.

It turns out parts of Mexico have very good connections to mid US datacenters, so as far as matchmaking is concerned, they are in the US.

Focused guarantees YOUR ping will be low, but NOT the other players. They can be anywhere up to even 500ms, though that will not be common.
I'm old. I've been around since the original Halo right after the Xbox came out. I also work in the cloud computing space so, while I'm not an expert on the gaming side of things, I have some subject matter experience on the networking side of things. These lag issues gradually became more pronounced around late summer timeframe, and it has gotten progressively worse (realize player attrition probably hasn't helped). I've done everything within my power to rule out the issue being on my end, but I'm at wits end at this point. I play with a friend who's in Ft Worth, and he has the same issues. Obviously, that's a small sample size but, from other posts I've seen on the forums, this doesn't appear to be isolated.

Is there anything that 343 is actively looking into related to these issues that you can talk about? (I realize that you guys are probably already far down the development and testing path with the next Halo game at this point...)
I have exactly the same issues. I'm in central California and get teamed with Mexico almost daily. It's really bad lag for whatever reason. I play with friends in Ireland and it's nowhere near as bad as Mexico. Yesterday one game was unplayable. I'm cruising along in a ghost, one minute I'm in the middle of the road the next I'm on top of a hill. I get killed in two shots, don't even have time to move and I'm dead. Forget getting into a gun fight with anyone, it's like a time warp, I'm a second behind everyone else. I too am from the IT world, retired now.
I also have similar issues. Something is clearly not working or is broke with H5. I search on Focus and I can clearly say that the search preferences is either broken or corrupted. My gaming router gives me all the IP addresses of the servers I'm connecting too. I live in MN. Last night between 9-10 pm cst I actually had two games that were in Australia . Then for some odd reason there was one in Hong Kong.. I did an Ip address look up and a trace route and it gave me what I stated.. There is no way I should be connecting any where near there living in MN.. Something is going on.. After games like that I have no words.. The only reason I became curious was because I noticed that there was no one speaking English. And it clearly wasn't Spanish.. lol.
AIR CLABO wrote:
In past titles, if you had a bad connection, that was on you...
if your connection got interrupted, you would rubber-band on your screen, while appearing to others, to either not move, or move slowly in 1 direction monotonously.

But in Halo 5, that person's bad connection is on everyone else...
Instead of rubber-banding on their own screen, now they just teleport around on everyone else's screen.

It's a very unfair system that caters to the laggers and only gets worse as the game gets later and later into the lifecycle.
It used to only be the 1 occasional person with a very weird connection, but now it's "leaking" into just regular gameplay...
Not as bad as the "full on teleporting" guys, but there's usually at least 1 person per game who gets these "mini-skips" every few seconds (looks kind of like a random 2x strafe speed), which is enough to turn the tide of a battle between 2 equally skilled players.

I've even played against 1 guy who figured out exactly how to abuse it -- he intentionally throttles his connection, but has an "un-throttle" mechanism set up to be tied to his shooting...
That way, his position on the map is uncertain to the server when he's just walking/sprinting around, so he appears to be teleporting around to everyone else... But the moment he shoots his pistol, the connection snaps back to normal for a few seconds, so his shots all register in that brief period.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, it's extremely consistent. And the "throttled" state was so intense that it wasn't just the normal short teleports, but giant leaps to the point where he would completely disappear from view anytime he gets shot... then re-appear beside you and get a perfect 5 shot before you even have time to turn on his new position.
First time poster here on the forum, but not new to Halo and Halo 5 in particular.

I completely agree that there are issues with bad connections and lagging. I think network imperfections when playing a multiplayer game online are, to a degree, to be expected due to so many varying factors (internal and external) and will be for quite some time.

With that said, I don't agree that this usually happens to at least 1 person every game. I think that's a gross exaggeration and if there were network issues that usually happened to at least 1 person every single game then Halo 5 probably wouldn't have even made it out of Beta.

Obviously, players, the Halo development team, fans, sponsors alike, would like to have a perfect network connection to have the smoothest gameplay possible so I'm sure they're doing their best to work on and improve the connection reliability.
That doesn't make any sense to bring up the beta because all of these issues are specifically within the context of a lack of population. It's also not an issue of connection reliability or whether "issues are to be expected," it's a matter of how the game decides which connection to preference.
This is a specific, deliberate programming decision made by 343 regarding how to handle poor connections, not simply an issue of there being poor connections in the first place.
Did you even read the post that this was all spawned from? Your response completely misses the point.

Also, to be clear, when I say that it happens every game, this is still within the context of a lack of population, which depends on your rank and location. When I say every game, I mean every game for people who have a low matchmaking pool: people with high rank.
None of this applies to you, as gold/platinum can match against nearly the entire population of matchmaking, you have the lowest matchmaking restrictions of anyone.
As for those at Onyx with a central or western location, it's no exaggeration. For some of us, it is actually every game that there is at least 1 person with at least occasional "micro-stutters," since the game has to match central players against south-americans, and western players against easterners.

And again, the thing that's truly an issue isn't even the low population alone (it's simply the lack of pool that finally reveals the issue that has always been present in the code behind the scenes since day 1 -- it's just that, during beta & early release, there was enough population to hide this)...
the issue is that the game server chooses to give too much of a preference to the people with unstable & high-ping connections, rather than those of us with a stable & steady connection.

If it was their host, then sure I would expect some lag... but if it's my region, there's no reason they should be skipping around.
This is a deliberate design choice (that 343 could tweak if they wanted), not just regular online delay.
The Puppy wrote:
Rotating the current maps to earlier ones would be ok with me.
I'd prefer not revisiting older maps. I'd much rather have a new install base. ForgeHub has so so many different flavors of some BTB maps that are really really well-built and fun. I'd like to see some of those get into MatchMaking.
VyLnCe wrote:
@ZaedynFel
Is it possible to make ranked matchmaking, mainly in HALOWC 2018, keep the matching to a 1 division difference? For example, Onyx and Diamonds can match each other but you can't have Onyx match Platinum players due to a 2 division difference. If you do this, matchmaking will become more consistent when it comes to organized gameplay. Right now it's not fun when I match people 2 out from my division. It gets way too chaotic and stressful watching people hold forward without any idea on what should be focused.

Also I've heard many people complain about this. Thanks.
This is how it was before the recent change, however not enough people play HaloWC to support that small of a gap anymore. It would result in high-skilled players and parties being unable to play the HaloWC at all.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5