1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
ZaedynFel wrote:
In addition, we’ll be adding a simple playlist called Quickplay at the top of our Social lists. The purpose of this list is largely so incoming players having an obvious starting point. The biggest feedback we get from new players is many if not the majority haven’t played any Halo in the past and have no idea what those playlist names mean. This should make it super clear where to start. The list will feature Slayer on Rig, Truth, and Coliseum. We’re keeping the maps to a minimum so folks aren’t overwhelmed, and using Slayer since it’s a straightforward game mode for both new and solo players. The playlist will also have a maximum party size of 2. If you’re looking for some light Slayer gameplay with the chance to mentor incoming folks, hop in!
is there a eta on this?
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
I’ve already applied it to examining a few samples games. For example, one match included several smurfs who are Champs on their main accounts. Our current (older) system said that the smurfs would get destroyed because it couldn’t tell they were smurfs. The newer system correctly called the match even, and identified the abilities of the players. What this means is players will quickly find themselves matching where they should be, and opponents will get a more accurate CSR update.

Still no word on a solution to the smurfing? It's by far the worst part of matchmaking for me.
I've left the information related to smurfing.
That doesn't really look like a solution for the Smurfs he's just using them a an example for his mm system.
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
I’ve already applied it to examining a few samples games. For example, one match included several smurfs who are Champs on their main accounts. Our current (older) system said that the smurfs would get destroyed because it couldn’t tell they were smurfs. The newer system correctly called the match even, and identified the abilities of the players. What this means is players will quickly find themselves matching where they should be, and opponents will get a more accurate CSR update.

Still no word on a solution to the smurfing? It's by far the worst part of matchmaking for me.
That doesn't really look like a solution for the Smurfs he's just using them a an example for his mm system.
Yes....an example of how the MM system handles smurfs and keeps them playing the correct caliber of players.
LethalQ wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Happy New Year!It’s good to be back! I have a few fun updates.
PlaylistsWe have a couple of playlist changes coming this week. First, as we announced last Friday, the HCS list will be updated to reflect the official HaloWC maps and modes. Head over to http://halo.gg for more info.

In addition, we’ll be adding a simple playlist called Quickplay at the top of our Social lists. The purpose of this list is largely so incoming players having an obvious starting point. The biggest feedback we get from new players is many if not the majority haven’t played any Halo in the past and have no idea what those playlist names mean. This should make it super clear where to start. The list will feature Slayer on Rig, Truth, and Coliseum. We’re keeping the maps to a minimum so folks aren’t overwhelmed, and using Slayer since it’s a straightforward game mode for both new and solo players. The playlist will also have a maximum party size of 2. If you’re looking for some light Slayer gameplay with the chance to mentor incoming folks, hop in!
Skill SystemAs some of you saw, I’ll be speaking about the new system we are in the process of integrating at this year’s GDC. We now have just enough of the plumbing built to see results coming back from matches. The accuracy is significantly higher than what we have today despite the fact there are a few key pieces we still haven’t hooked up. That accuracy will only grow as we finish.

To be clear, we aren’t yet using the new system, but it is able to analyze current matches. I’m able to see win predictions, kill predictions, and death predictions, and compare to them what really happened. I’ll see numbers like “Kill Prediction: 13.8, Actual: 14” often. It’s fun for a stats nerd like me to be honest. On average, in its current unfinished state, it’s able to predict how many kills each player will have per minute within less than 0.4 kills. It’s often right on the money.

On the accuracy side of things, I’m seeing increases of up to 10% in how well it predicts the winner. I’ve been in this business for a long time, and have never seen that kind of jump in predictive accuracy. Definitely not on data where we are already doing a solid job of creating close matches that should be hard to predict. When the system goes live, we could see drastic improvement in match quality.

I don’t have an ETA on when we’ll switch over to using the system, but just thought some of you would enjoy hearing how well it’s doing.
Playlist PopularityHere’s an update on playlist popularity, using the last 7 days last of playtime. Things have shifted around a little bit.

Super Fiesta
Slayer
Heroic Warzone Firefight
Warzone
Castle Wars
Big Team Battle
Infection
HCS Fall 2017
Action Sack
SWAT
Legendary Warzone Firefight
Team Arena
Doubles
Warzone Turbo
Free-For-All
Breakout
Snipers
Mythic Warzone Firefight
Warzone Assault
Grifball
Did you not read the article? It says they are currently building a system that will address it.
No he ised Smurfs as an example of his mm system working. That doesn't fix Smurfs they will still be a problem
ZaedynFel wrote:
is there a eta on this?
Targeting "later this week".
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

Yes....an example of how the MM system handles smurfs and keeps them playing the correct caliber of players.
So for the first 10 games they will still play against silvers and golds. Again, it doesn't fix the problem.
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

So for the first 10 games they will still play against silvers and golds. Again, it doesn't fix the problem.
No. I suggest you read Josh's prior MM posts. They aren't going to play silvers and golds for 10 games then Onyx/Champs after that. The system will be able to tell much, much faster than 10 games where a player should place and will pit them against appropriate opponents.

Will it solve the problem 100%? No. No system will. There will always be people who exploit and abuse systems to be jerks online. Unfortunately that's the nature of online anonymity.
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

No. I suggest you read Josh's prior MM posts. They aren't going to play silvers and golds for 10 games then Onyx/Champs after that. The system will be able to tell much, much faster than 10 games where a player should place and will pit them against appropriate opponents.

Will it solve the problem 100%? No. No system will. There will always be people who exploit and abuse systems to be jerks online. Unfortunately that's the nature of online anonymity.
I've read every one of his posts quit trying to be condescending. Kids throw games on new smurfs to get ranked lower already they'll just do it even more now.
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
Chogun Rua wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:

I've read every one of his posts quit trying to be condescending. Kids throw games on new smurfs to get ranked lower already they'll just do it even more now.
If they do that, it's even easier to identify. The new system predicts how many kills you should have. If you throw games, it'll expect a lot less kills.

If you then play "normal" and have a ton of kills, the system raises a red flag immediately, and it's super obvious. You get caught "red-handed" if you do this in the new system.
I like the idea of quickplay, but I feel three maps are far too little. I feel that quickplay should serve as both an intro for new players but also as a social slayer playlist that many have been requesting. With only three maps and not that many new players, I can see the playlist dying pretty quickly. To be fair, I don’t know how many new players come to Halo 5 every month and whether they’re smurfs or not, but Halo 5 is a two year old game after all.

I don’t really understand why lots of maps are overwhelming really. Sure it’s more to memorize, but that’s not very hard imo. I think the benefit of map variety exceeds the possible slight feeling of being overwhelmed by lots of maps, but that’s just me. Personally, I think 7-10 maps would be good.

Also, I really like that you’ve told us the playlists popularity rankings. There’s been quite a bit of discussion revolving around this stuff and we’ve never really had a list like we do now.
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Did you happen to notice and give any thought to this post I wrote last month? I wanted to propose an option to help high MMR players find social and warzone games more easily when solo-queue or in small fireteams. I 100% understand (and agree) that it's important to prevent large fireteams of high MMR players from stomping all over everyone in annoying blowouts, so large + high MMR fireteams will need to wait for similarly skilled players.

Thoughts?
I did read it and thought it was a clever idea.

We're at an interesting point right now in our dev process on skill and matchmaking features. A lot of the issues that avenues like this addressed are also addressed in the new systems we are bringing online. So we're in a position where fixes like this end up becoming "throw away" once the newer systems come online. We sometimes still implement them anyways if the time between fixes is really long and the impact really high, but we treat each case carefully.

In this case, the skill system changes are coming soon enough that I think it would be better to first see how well the new system natively handles this before judging between short and long-term changes to the matchmaking system.
One of the biggest improvements Halo 6 can make is having rolling lobbies. It cannot be understated how helpful this is to maintaining a population and keeping players engaged.

I remember discussions with Gears and CoD devs saying how that was one of the most important changes made to their games, so I'm hoping for the same with Halo 6.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Glad the new system will correctly identify “smurf” accounts. Annoying, more than anything, would be the term I’d use if I keep seeing the same smurf account over the course of a night. Rank that guy up already to Diamond+ and let me get back to playing golds! Lol
I, for one, welcome our new matchmaker overload. Kind of scary reading it, tbh.

A few questions:

1) Will the Quickplay playlist have the stats recorded to our service record or no? I think this playlist shouldn't record stats in my opinion. It gives less incentive for someone to try and pad their stats on newbs and it could make it feel a little more social.

2) How fast will the upcoming matchmaker find games for people? Seems like it could take longer if it's trying to find more accurate games, but I don't really know so that's why I'm asking.

3) Are there any updates with the issue of players being unintentionally dropped from the search lobby? It's still happening.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.
Spoiler:
Show
JAncient wrote:
Well aren't you just a friendly ball of sunshine.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content or call out other members
Spoiler:
Show
I find this list highly dubious.

In what world is Warzone assault 2nd to last in population?

I find it extremely hard to believe, as in I don't believe, that breakout has a higher population than that many playlists, specifically including Warzone Assault, Snipers and even Grifball.

It's fine though...it's really simple. This game is going to continue to be dead as long as there is a b.s. hidden ranking system. "MMR" whatever you want to call it...when you literally cannot find games as a champion or even an onyx in some playlists, and when in the past and I believe still...that you match against people in social playlists based on hidden ranks and play sweaty games in a "social" playlist at times.

It's whatever though...this game has been dead for at least 1.5 years, realistically soon to be 2 full years. The incompetence is insane. It took 343 nearly 2 full years to finally remove radar and ARs from competitive, there were storm rifles and SMGs in a tournament for 2.5 million dollars and in competitive for far too long, 343 lied about pros wanting breakout in competitive.

Now 343 is pressing oddball into the competitive scene in a tournament for 1 million dollars when they can't even figure out how to tune the playlist and spawns. It's sad. This isn't even touching upon the lack of playlists/content upon release, and their fetish of taking out playlists for no reason in social and ranked alike.

I guess we have to hope Halo 6 will be better or actually good, but I think we should all have reservations for that being the case.
JAncient wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Dude! Relax and chill yourself. You're not helping your cause... whatever that cause may be by throwing a tantrum like a -Yoinking!- toddler.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8