[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – July 10

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5
I can't even find matches when I play solo and I have no problems with my connection...
So I played a bunch of doubles yesterday, and I'm currently a high platium and my buddy was low diamond. We got paired up against teams of low onyx and champions a bunch of times. Trying to match full teams against full teams isn't working. If population was higher I'm sure it'd be better, but in Halo 5 current state it's not. After playing a bunch of Team Slayer the other day and now doubles, I 100% think the match making system needs to go back to how it was before.
So I played a bunch of doubles yesterday, and I'm currently a high platium and my buddy was low diamond. We got paired up against teams of low onyx and champions a bunch of times. Trying to match full teams against full teams isn't working. If population was higher I'm sure it'd be better, but in Halo 5 current state it's not. After playing a bunch of Team Slayer the other day and now doubles, I 100% think the match making system needs to go back to how it was before.
I love the new party-size matchmaking that has been introduced, I really see it as an attempt to make the community happy and their experience online more desirable...

In my situation, I'm seeing solo players when I run solo and refreshingly more teams when I'm running with a team...thats a great thing imo.

I'm just looking at it now as still a very new thing, that will enhance overtime if given a chance..

The problem is the population, and I attribute that to a few key factors:
#1 the ranking system is a grind and some of us love it/others hate it...
I believe the ranking system is an awesome concept, but it discourages a majority of the online population that is either average or below average In skill. Now the population feels entitled to only play players at their skill, that's not life....it should be a mixture of all skills as to not exclude one class of player in favor of another....this is why Smurf accounts exist, and for that reason alone I don't care for the ranks...
#2 it demands at all times that you play at your highest possible performance, also not a bad thing...however it can produce a bit of anxiety for some just out to enjoy a games and so players avoid it entirely....thats bad!
The argument to that would be "well just go social if you don't want to sweat,scrub"....except that takes the classic playlist that brings players to halo off the table....thats a bad thing, thankfully 343 has caught this mistake and has researched into queing into games either social or ranked depending on your choice. Of course the ranked guys dont want other players having an easy ride to champ, I agree...you just make it so that the ranked guys play with other ranked guys as best the population allows...this opens halo up to the masses to enjoy staple playlist like slayer and ffa and gives more variety tro the players...i think social and ranked should be tossed out in favor of a giant playlist, and an option for matching as either social or ranked depending on your mood...
#3 the biggest draw for a majority of players is warzone and Spartan companies, the warzone limit pulled a sizable chunk of players and teams out of warzone with the limit, possibly not knowing that these teams also contributed to the size of the population not just for solos, but helped keep other playlist populated while waiting for friends to get online...partysize match making wouldve stalled farming back then when population numbers were high enough and teams were numerous...but that wasn't afforded to us....any decision made that excludes a group of the halo community from playing a playlist isn't an acceptable answer....thus these teams walk out and find new games and leave halo...
#4 every playlist should have the ability to be ranked and not just whatever 343 thinks...there are tons of people in this world with all sorts of different tastes and opinions....btb should be ranked or grif ball or fiesta or warzone or whatever!! why does that matter if it's ranked? Because people place tons of effort into these playlist and they deserve it, they play halo too...

343 needs to listen to what the community is saying, for the good of halo....that fireteam limit was an awful mistake that had a tremendous impact on this game and it's players...it needs to be undone and party size match making will fix that problem...warlords was not the answer, it wasn't even close...

You lift fireteam limits in warzone, I guarantee players will come back....no doubt about it...and that is key to recapturing interest in this game while there's still time...

A game needs to be fun and make you feel good about yourself to truly be sucessful, halo 5 is the best halo imo it's just has some hang ups...i don't feel 343 did it on purpose but I do feel the need to realize these errors and take action against them in a way that produces a healthy population and experience....i think they're on the right track finally...
I'm still feeling heavy aim every now and then. Anyone else experiencing it still?
Nothing? Just wait for Halo 6? Another day of focused MM playing against a full spartan company that's average is about quadruple my team's average KDA. Each game is filled in with first time players. The last 50 games have 85-90% quit rates. That's seriously no exaggeration, it's a rare, rare occurrence that a game has been finished with the original players or even a full roster. This -Yoink- is unplayable, and none of this is ever addressed. Is the player population that miserable that it's just impossible to actually matchmake with any sort of accuracy? By all means add some more paint schemes to the same armor over and over again while lifetime players abandon this franchise while the powers that be refuse to revert back to rank systems and matchmaking that worked better in the past or try anything radically different.
Nothing? Just wait for Halo 6?
At the end of the first post of this thread, Josh noted that he wouldn't be available for responses for this past week. This means his availability will probably go back to normal starting tomorrow.
The problem is the population, and I attribute that to a few key factors:

#1 ...
#2 ...
#3 ...
#4 ...
The factors I'd suggest giving some consideration to are these:
  • It's a game that's coming up on being 2 years old and there are many hot, enticing, and new titles looking to grab a slice of the gaming market. In fact, it's a good time to be a gamer as there are many quality titles vying for a gamer's gaming-time.
  • (relating to your #2) Halo is inded a fairly skill-based FPS (at least for a console) which doesn't necessarily make it easily alluring to more casual gamers, but the casual crowd is a bigger part of the market share within the total gaming community as well as the Halo community. The Halo community itself deals with pretty fragmented groups who feel that the game and it's creators cater incorrectly to "other" groups. It doesn't matter if there's any truth to that or not because the feeling it creates is the outcome that exists regardless; it's the reality that we all (including 343i) operate under. Unfortunately, it brings about types of resentment and disinterest which can negatively impact a title's popularity and longevity.
  • Halo's fan base stretches a pretty solid age demographic and the older players tend to get busier in life which makes continuous and frequent play more difficult and in turn that too can negatively impact population numbers for a title. Not to mention, it's the summer months which probably compound this factor even further as people like to get outdoors more often with their free time leaving less time for gaming.
Nothing? Just wait for Halo 6? Another day of focused MM playing against a full spartan company that's average is about quadruple my team's average KDA. Each game is filled in with first time players. The last 50 games have 85-90% quit rates. That's seriously no exaggeration, it's a rare, rare occurrence that a game has been finished with the original players or even a full roster. This -Yoink- is unplayable, and none of this is ever addressed. Is the player population that miserable that it's just impossible to actually matchmake with any sort of accuracy? By all means add some more paint schemes to the same armor over and over again while lifetime players abandon this franchise while the powers that be refuse to revert back to rank systems and matchmaking that worked better in the past or try anything radically different.
What you are experiencing is a combination of the drawbacks of the stopgap party restrictions, and a lack of tight matchmaking in BTB, which is because, in BTB, the search completely gives up on skill after 40 seconds, like it does in all Social Playlists.

There a few reasons for this, both technical and philosophical. Players tend to think that Social shouldn't create tight "sweaty" matches.

If you want to guarantee "some" skill matching component, you can always manually cancel and retry your search before 40s goes by.

There is relief coming down the road though for the cases when you do have to match against full parties. We should be able to drastically reduce the skill gap soon when that happens, but it's a little ways off.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. ...
  6. 5