Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – July 24

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
If it wasn't for farmers, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You know who you are so don't act innocent. The few bad apples ruined it for everyone so I don't have any sympathy for their complaints (in general). 343 can say the party restrictions were due to lack of skill matching, but I don't believe that for a second.

Josh, any chance of making BTB ranked again? It didn't work when the game launched because we had all those MM issues, but with all these updates those issues should be fixed or they're minimal now.
its ok i guess sometimes its quick sometimes its not i just change from balanced to expanded if it slows down i am in the uk
I really hope Halo 6 just starts out with one main "Quick Match" playlist (8v8), one main "League" playlist 4v4 with objectives and ranks, one main PvE playlist, and that's it. The rest the gametypes are available in a revamped and improved custom games browser where the most popular gametypes can shine. Some support for a well polished 'looking for group' section, stat tracking, or the ability to 'queue' up for a set of custom game type of your choosing would be pretty amazing also.

There's just too many ways to play Halo now, it severely impacts matchmaking. I think there's a strong argument both for keeping search times low and keeping equally skilled players playing together that it makes sense to condense the playlists down and set Multiplayer up the same way other online games have been set up for a few years now: Heroes of the Storm, Counter Strike, League of Legends, Starcraft II all centre around having one main playlist and one ranked playlist.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
Spoiler:
Show
I had these results last night:

Onyx, Champion and Golds vs Unranked:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/daa060a0-e26b-4360-b3ee-5f22d23c9504/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

2 Platinums (1 almost Diamond), 2 Golds (1 almost Platinum) vs 2 Golds (1 almost Platinum), 2 Silvers:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/3f726a98-b567-4d84-ab8b-43e52d07138a/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=6&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

And we played this team FOUR times, even after backing out for a few minutes then rejoining at least twice:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/259bfc47-ebcd-4bbe-ad00-dad0ca07acf9/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=13&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/e604ee95-d61e-4fb7-ba83-d3e060aed7ad/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=12&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/b0facfe6-81b7-42ca-97fb-4d03ed07d008/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=11&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/14d9ddc1-5ed4-4ff6-960b-98db0e4cf9f8/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=10&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

This isn't "fair," or "fun."

I've been saying to my game friends that the matchmatching system has been broken since the start of the new season, unaware that there had been changes made to the system. Now I have confirmation of that fact.

Whatever intent was behind these changes may have been laudable and intended to fix whatever issues existed beforehand, but they have made things much, much worse.

Please revert the changes.
If teams of 12 are willing to wait an indefinite amount of time to find a game, then let them. You are limiting their options on how they wish to play the game. Also, Ranked Arena needs the same restrictions that Warzone has. It blows my mind that your reasoning for limiting fireteams in warzone is because of the full team having a massive advantage, yet there are people with only 10 losses out of 280 or so games in ranked playlists and you dont see an obvious advantage for those people running with a full squad in arena. It is exactly the same concept, just on a smaller scale. Halo 3 matchmaking was 10 times more fair with more close matches because of the teams matching teams policy it had. I really don't understand why you guys are being so stubborn when dealing with fireteam limits in ranked arena. It honestly is one of the factors that kills matchmaking for a ton of people, myself included. I actually prefer to play 30 fps H3 with boooters and modders nowadays just because the games are fair for the most part. Sad you guys have the capability to make a fair ranked matchmaking system but refuse to do anything about it TBH. Whatever though, the Halo population will stay at a standstill I suppose. I guess as long as you guys get your money when everybody desperately buys the game at launch hoping for a decent matchmaking system who cares, right?
Is it possible to block smurf accounts/new players on hcs playlist limiting the access only to players with a certain amount of spartan rank (30 for example or better 50 )?
Collet005 wrote:
Is it possible to block smurf accounts/new players on hcs playlist limiting the access only to players with a certain amount of spartan rank (30 for example or better 50 )?
Then you alienate legit new players. It would also have to be a universal implementation since there are other ranked playlists as well. I think Menke already tried to deal with smurfs by not having them gain as much CSR or something when they're playing with higher ranks. Maybe he could explain it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
Spoiler:
Show
Anion wrote:
If teams of 12 are willing to wait an indefinite amount of time to find a game, then let them. You are limiting their options on how they wish to play the game. Also, Ranked Arena needs the same restrictions that Warzone has. It blows my mind that your reasoning for limiting fireteams in warzone is because of the full team having a massive advantage, yet there are people with only 10 losses out of 280 or so games in ranked playlists and you dont see an obvious advantage for those people running with a full squad in arena. It is exactly the same concept, just on a smaller scale. Halo 3 matchmaking was 10 times more fair with more close matches because of the teams matching teams policy it had. I really don't understand why you guys are being so stubborn when dealing with fireteam limits in ranked arena. It honestly is one of the factors that kills matchmaking for a ton of people, myself included. I actually prefer to play 30 fps H3 with boooters and modders nowadays just because the games are fair for the most part. Sad you guys have the capability to make a fair ranked matchmaking system but refuse to do anything about it TBH. Whatever though, the Halo population will stay at a standstill I suppose. I guess as long as you guys get your money when everybody desperately buys the game at launch hoping for a decent matchmaking system who cares, right?
I'm not sure how much you've been following, but we do now have party restrictions for full parties. Though it expires after 2.5 minutes, mostly because there are a large number of players who statistically play worse in a party, and there's no reason to make them wait for worse matches.
I had these results last night:

This isn't "fair," or "fun."

I've been saying to my game friends that the matchmatching system has been broken since the start of the new season, unaware that there had been changes made to the system. Now I have confirmation of that fact.

Whatever intent was behind these changes may have been laudable and intended to fix whatever issues existed beforehand, but they have made things much, much worse.

Please revert the changes.
I agree you had a number of rough matches here.

The main reason is the party restrictions. We would have to remove those, which the majority doesn't want at this point.

So right now we are favoring the solo players at your skill level, rather than the parties, to a degree.

What can possibly happen to a 4-player party is that they will wait awhile if there are no other parties around, and after waiting awhile they will accept the first thing that comes along, which might not be great.

We're working on a change that will guarantee that when this happens, at least to the team to team gap is much more fair than it is today.
Can we get an explanation for why heavy aim is still in this game after so long? What causes it and why is it not 100% fixed?

Thanks.
Please remove slayer from Arena and add koth, assault, and oddball to Arena. And bring back 1 Flag.
There should be a Solo Warzone Play list just like on Halo reach
FFa is for solo players I understand playing team games while solo queing but when you play with people who you don't know you pretty much get what you get and playing without a mic shouldn't be aloud in any team playlist 343 needs to focus on the whole halo community not small groups that have loud voices send random questionnaires to people and ask them what you 343 as the developers of halo 5 need to do to make them happy all I play is halo but I'm really thinking about something different because since halo 5 came out its still broken and your micro fixes aren't doing it for us the ghost melee poor hit recognition and sometimes the severs are horrible the unbalanced matchmaking is the least of my worries you cant win every game I don't care about a loss to a team better then me is ok a loss to a team I cant kill because the sever is broken or there's no hit recognition makes me want to buy overwatch
@ZaedynFel: Thanks for that explanation.

However, this one is a bit of a mystery:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/0d31eb82-5f43-476a-84ea-bbf8fd217fbf/players/radar3301enigma?gameHistoryMatchIndex=4&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

AndresGSpartan was not in our fireteam (or our party), so how did we pull 2 platinums on the other team?
ZaedynFel wrote:
Anion wrote:
I'm not sure how much you've been following, but we do now have party restrictions for full parties. Though it expires after 2.5 minutes, mostly because there are a large number of players who statistically play worse in a party, and there's no reason to make them wait for worse matches.
2.5 minutes pass then they match solo players who are significantly worse than them. If the game waited until they matched a team of equivalent skill, more players would play solo or with a to2 since they do not want to wait that long for a match. This would result in more even matches across the board and a healthier playlist population. Let's be real, it is too late with Halo 5. You guys dropped the ball when the game released half finished with a poor matchmaking system on top of it. For Halo 6, teams matching teams needs to be what the standard is at the beginning of the game. No exceptions, teams must match teams of somewhat equal skill. This helped keep Halo 3 thriving in its ranked playlists because the games were actually fair. I know the Halo population will never be as great as Halo 3 anymore, but at least make the experience fair for the players that stick around and you would be surprised how many more people stay with the game and actually enjoy it when it is launched. Solo Q vs teams needs to go though. It just doesn't work and it deters A LOT of players from the game. Including me if the next Halo launches with a similar matchmaking system as Halo 5. Basically, fair matches = more fun. So many people complain about this because it is a problem and you guys are trying to go around it instead of fixing it. I know this because this is something I've followed closely in Halo 5. Don't even attempt to tell me I don't know what is going on in the game because I do. I have logged over a month of gametime on this game and I see its flaws. Me consistently matching champs and high onyx with plats on my team after less than a minute of searching is a problem. Reason I cannot play ranked without a full squad tbh.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3