[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – July 3

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
ZaedynFel wrote:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/4588b35a-638b-457d-8731-d82b0d6937c3/players/eddyofthenorth?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

"No games start as 3v4"
Yep, there was an 8th player, he left right between when the game starts and the stats record. Won't show up on the PGCR, does show up in the matchmaking logs.

There's nothing we can do here. No matter when we decide to "check if we should cancel the match" someone can still leave RIGHT after that.

The only option is to add Forfeit, auto-Forfeit, or Soft-Forfeit.

And we already added Soft-Forfeit. The other forfeit types are doable, but not any time soon.
Or you could just not penalize players at all if a person leaves before game clock starts, is there a problem with doing that?
343 please fix the match making in this game, I get an average of 22 kills per game in warzone, I keep getting stuck with people who don't know how to play the game, the matchmaking is completely unbalanced and my 4 or so regulars I play with completely agree, arena isn't too bad but warzone is pathetic, I can count on 2 hands how many fair matches I've had of warzone, it's always a complete landslide, you either crush the enemy team because nobody knows how to play so it's almost boring, or you get completely overrun by Ogre2 and Pistola clones, I don't mind losing but only when it's a fair fight, I find I'm quiting half my matches because it isn't fun anymore, I used to love Halo, and I think 5 is a pretty decent game considering it was your first full halo game on your own, and alot of small stuff can easily be overlooked, they don't harm the game, but the matchmaking... When Destiny 2 and Anthem come out, I'll probably never log on halo 5 again, I'll keep it because I love halo, and I'll buy halo 6 just for the campaign because I've been playing since 2001...but I'm not committing my time to something that can be fun one minute, and makes you want to cry the next, here's hoping you see this in time before the fall release of games comes out and are able to figure out why the matchmaking is behaving the way it is... Sincerely a die hard Halo fan from day 1
So today when I fired up a Free-For-All custom game on the map Mercy I noticed some inconsistencies. After that I tried a couple more maps and found that it wasn't just Mercy that was different, so I have a couple of questions:

Why aren't the maps that Customs have not reflecting the same game mode options as FFA in Ranked?
For example, the map Mercy, has a Sniper in top mid in Ranked FFA, but not in Customs?
Most importantly, when will this get fixed?
Spoiler:
Show
Trengrove wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
I'm not trying to boast, I'm trying to give a picture. Me and my fireteam/s are all 150+, we are the sweatiest players. We play almost every night, we always play for the win, we have developed dirty monstrous strategies that would make even a one armed bricklayer in Baghdad sweat more than he has before. Our 6 man can carry a lot of players but not the bottom of the community, not these players that we keep getting teamed up with. No matter how sweaty, and how savagely we OUTslay the other team (yes because we're still that sweaty that we don't give up and push over) we still lose these games, because our teammates feed the enemy kills, power weapons, and offer up rites of passage through the many routes of the map.

After flipping through your game history, looks like you won 75% (or more) of your WZ games yesterday/today, running with your sweaty To6. So I'm not sure what the big problem is. They outlawed teams of 12 because it was leading to bad farm-fests, and the phenomenon you're seeing is a side effect. They are trying to make balanced teams (balanced by definition MEANS both sides have a chance to win), so if you are really good you're going to get weaker teammates.

If they don't do it this way, then weaker players will get absolutely blown out every game, leave the playlist, and MM quality will get worse as the population drops. Then the playlist will totally die. So you'll just need to deal with it, man. It's the only way, given how snowball-prone warzone is.

P.S. I say this as a SR 151 who also runs in a lot of sweaty To6 lobbies, so I know your pain.
Ok first off
- Yes we win 75% of our games, we sweat our absolute balls off, we lose games and that motivates us to try, so we carry and carry. I didn't say in my statement that I lost all those games lol
- Those games, regardless of the win or the loss, were mentally destructive, we were screaming and yelling at eachother trying to juggle bosses, kills, bases, and the lag (australia is hated by 343). This is satisfying, but not "I did well" satisfying, more like getting robbed, having your house burn down, but still finding the thieves didn't take halo 5. It's one positive amongst an ocean of bull ess hach eye tee.
- I'm not saying stop matching me with bad players... I'm saying either remove it (in place of a better system), or compensate this annoying system by rewarding good, skilled players, with perhaps a gold pack each game. Or give us extra xp for carrying the team so hard. Just don't let our effort be in vain.
- I can guarantee you that people will keep playing warzone because they end up on my team, and they get carried to victory, don't worry about those specific randoms lol
- No, I will not 'deal' with it. These losses are completely unfair, because we're some of the best players in the world, and we still can barely hold our own. It's not down to skill, it's the silly matchmaking system that teams us up with incompetent teammates ON PURPOSE WHILE THE ENEMY WILL BE HIGHLY SKILLED.

and no lol you do not know my pain. I am from New Zealand, and have not had balanced games since June of last year. Those games could only be found by one player who had superb internet. Every single game, I am handicapped from the start because Americans like you have a much better connection than me. I've come to term with the handicap, in equal understanding of how a parent accepts their child has severe autism, but I will not tolerate any more handicaps, I can barely handle this first one.
if you want to feel my pain, go watch my clips, see how much of a struggle it is for me to shoot anybody. Now consider my internet, on top of the unfair mmr i have described. I'm not trying to complain, you're allowed to sympathise, but you simply cannot empathise, you don't know how hard we aussies and kiwis try, only for halo to continue to wither and decay, all because you guys can't play without perfect connection....
I've never seen so much whining over "only" a 75% win rate before.

Extra rewards for doing well, that I can understand but..

Of course your teammates are bad, they have to be in order for anyone else to have a shot at winning... or do you seriously expect 343 to change the system so you can win all the time?

If you want less sweaty games then the solution is simple: stop playing so sweaty yourself, be ok with losing a bit more often, and the game will start giving you more competent teammates.
You want everyone else to not play their hearts out but yet you said yourself that your team was going crazy over it themselves. Why is it not ok for others, but you feel that it's necessary of yourself?

Sounds like you and your friends are the ones who need to relax & not sweat so much, you're only perpetuating the cycle of win->harder games->win->harder games.
Try playing with more casual players & their "play for the sake of playing" mentality will rub off on you.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.
Spoiler:
Show
Trengrove wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
I'm not trying to boast, I'm trying to give a picture. Me and my fireteam/s are all 150+, we are the sweatiest players. We play almost every night, we always play for the win, we have developed dirty monstrous strategies that would make even a one armed bricklayer in Baghdad sweat more than he has before. Our 6 man can carry a lot of players but not the bottom of the community, not these players that we keep getting teamed up with. No matter how sweaty, and how savagely we OUTslay the other team (yes because we're still that sweaty that we don't give up and push over) we still lose these games, because our teammates feed the enemy kills, power weapons, and offer up rites of passage through the many routes of the map.

Of course your teammates are bad, they have to be in order for anyone else to have a shot at winning... or do you seriously expect 343 to change the system so you can win all the time?

If you want less sweaty games then the solution is simple: stop playing so sweaty yourself, be ok with losing a bit more often, and the game will start giving you more competent teammates.
You want everyone else to not play their hearts out but yet you said yourself that your team was going crazy over it themselves. Why is it not ok for others, but you feel that it's necessary of yourself?

Sounds like you and your friends are the ones who need to relax & not sweat so much, you're only perpetuating the cycle of win->harder games->win->harder games.
Try playing with more casual players & their "play for the sake of playing" mentality will rub off on you.
Welcome to Halo 5, it sounds like this is your first experience with it. Menke has plainly stated in the past if your the best player in the game then all of the bad players must be put on your team to even the odds. Even though that doesn't make sense that is just how it is. Some of us have to deal with it in playlists where we can't spawn our power weapons and vehicles in a safe location at a home base. Maybe you should venture of into Arena and become a top player there and when your behind you can't just spawn a power weapon to fight back. So we know your frustration must be terrible in Warzone but its nothing compared to the frustration of dealing with it in a Competitive playlist.
Trengrove wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Trengrove wrote:

Welcome to Halo 5, it sounds like this is your first experience with it. Menke has plainly stated in the past if your the best player in the game then all of the bad players must be put on your team to even the odds. Even though that doesn't make sense that is just how it is. Some of us have to deal with it in playlists where we can't spawn our power weapons and vehicles in a safe location at a home base. Maybe you should venture of into Arena and become a top player there and when your behind you can't just spawn a power weapon to fight back. So we know your frustration must be terrible in Warzone but its nothing compared to the frustration of dealing with it in a Competitive playlist.
Once again, living in New Zealand means I have to play expanded connection every single game, whereupon bullets hardly ever connect in a reasonable time, I find teams of 4 when I search solo, and there is no xp/ rp reward for completing sweaty games. At least in warzone there's a high payout of req and xp, but arena offers nothing. I understand that Josh Menke has said something similar of 'if you're the best player, you're gonna be matched on a team with the worst players', but just because he said it, doesn't mean it's fair or right. It's completely unfair to be honest.
Trengrove wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
Trengrove wrote:
RzR J3ST3R wrote:
Trengrove wrote:

Once again, living in New Zealand means I have to play expanded connection every single game, whereupon bullets hardly ever connect in a reasonable time, I find teams of 4 when I search solo, and there is no xp/ rp reward for completing sweaty games. At least in warzone there's a high payout of req and xp, but arena offers nothing. I understand that Josh Menke has said something similar of 'if you're the best player, you're gonna be matched on a team with the worst players', but just because he said it, doesn't mean it's fair or right. It's completely unfair to be honest.
Life isn't fair and neither is video games, unless your playing on LAN.
The amount of bad matches people are getting from this "ranked expansion" stuff is crazy guys... Please do something to fix the matching system. I'd rather wait or not find a game than match champs with a team of silver randoms with me....
SG TeeZ wrote:
The amount of bad matches people are getting from this "ranked expansion" stuff is crazy guys... Please do something to fix the matching system. I'd rather wait or not find a game than match champs with a team of silver randoms with me....
100%. I get there are population issues and without some kind of expansion those at the higher levels couldn't find games, but I've never seen so many pros complaining about matchmaking until this update.
the new matchmaking seems good and it can have lot of people in game, but lots will leave then you will have people who leave your game causing you to lose or just be unfair/ unbalanced.
2 things.

1. FFA. Why does FFA only have slayer as a game mode? The past Halo games, FFA had multiple game modes such -Yoink- oddball, KotH, Moshpit, Juggernaut, and more... It is just silly to only have one game mode in a playlist like this. Please add more game types to this playlist.

2. New Radar. I personally love the new radar that is only in the HCS playlist, and I think it should be brought over into all ranked playlist.
1. "The past Halo games, FFA had multiple game modes..."

If I recall correctly, Rumble Pit (the social FFA playlist) is the one which had an assortment of FFA modes and in a way Halo 5 does have these, but they are technically found by random under the Action Sack playlist which in my opinion is a good compromise for their inclusion within Halo. Typically the ranked FFA playlist of Halo focused mostly on the Slayer modes (>70%) or completely on Slayer modes. Also for the time period there was a decent amount of discussion and feedback regarding non-slayer modes with a ranked FFA playlist as the perspective for that time seemed to be that the majority tended to believe they didn't belong and that that is what the social version was mainly to provide.

2. I can get behind this.

RANKED ARENA: 7 Active Playlists
  • HCS Arena (4v4; HCS modes, settings, and maps)
  1. Slayer
  2. CTF
  3. Strongholds
  • Doubles (2v2; mixed-bag, SA tracker)
  1. Slayer
  2. Ricochet
  • Slayer (4v4; SA tracker)
  • SWAT (4v4; minor weapon variants, no radar)
  • FFA (6; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with HCS FFA
  • HCS FFA (66; HCS settings and specific maps only) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with FFA
  • CTF (4v4; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with Strongholds
  • Strongholds (4v4; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with CTF
  • Grifball (4v4; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with Snipers and Assault
  • Snipers (4v4; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with Grifball and Assault
  • Assault (4v4; SA tracker) [Seasonal Rotation] - offsets seasonally with Grifball and Snipers
ZaedynFel wrote:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/4588b35a-638b-457d-8731-d82b0d6937c3/players/eddyofthenorth?gameHistoryMatchIndex=5&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

"No games start as 3v4"
Yep, there was an 8th player, he left right between when the game starts and the stats record. Won't show up on the PGCR, does show up in the matchmaking logs.

There's nothing we can do here. No matter when we decide to "check if we should cancel the match" someone can still leave RIGHT after that.

The only option is to add Forfeit, auto-Forfeit, or Soft-Forfeit.

And we already added Soft-Forfeit. The other forfeit types are doable, but not any time soon.
Or you could just not penalize players at all if a person leaves before game clock starts, is there a problem with doing that?
Yeah, we did that in another game I worked on. Players figured out exactly when to leave, and Ranks got massively inflated.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6