Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – June 26

OP ZaedynFel

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
I know it isnt something you addressed in this update but I had a thought about trying to even out the gametypes you play in HCS. We often see players complain that they play too much slayer in HCS. The current system prioritizes each of the 13 map and gamemode combinations equally resulting in 6 of the 13 options being slayer. Even with the most recently played gamemode being moved to the bottom of the hopper, we still see slayer is the most played gamemode and is often played back to back. Obviously with slayer being nearly half of the possibilities, you are bound to see it most often. What if, instead of prioritizing each of the 13 gametypes equally, we have each of the 3 gamemodes prioritized equally. Once 1 of the 3 gamemodes is determined using the same hopper system already in place, it then repeats the process but with the maps within that gamemode. This, in theory, allows you to play different gamemodes more often. The only sacrifice that I can see is that you get to play each of the slayer maps less frequently.

This is just something I came up with and may have been an idea already brought up before but I figured I would share and see what you think.
Yes, we have a playlist weighting feature on our list of improvements that would let us do exactly this.

In the past, we have just duplicated entries in the playlist. This results in less Slayer, but also allows you to sometimes get the same exact map and gametype multiple times in a row. We might do this again anyways to combat Slayer fatigue.
Hello to everyone at 343 and the halo 5 community!
I am a very loyal halo player since the beginning and I'm tired of seeing it fail and not to be condescending but I have the greatest solutions to the upcoming halo game because halo 5 has been out for too long and people are looking towards other game but besides that here are my solutions to GREATLY IMPACT HALO 6 if you decide to take my ideas. This regards to matchmaking itself. No.1 for RANK matches bring back the numerical ranks 1-50 to make it easier to balance the game out because it will NOT encourage BOOSTING as much and this will beneficial as regarding to not updating the match-making as much. Also keep the SR ranking as additional for those who want to reach the highest as 1-152 as done in halo 5 but give those an incentive like cosmetic along the way to reaching max level. No. 2 Keep Local, Balanced, and Expanded to give a variety of finding matches depending on the time of day. No 3. For WARZONE match-making if you guys decide to bring it back, please add more players to the mix and DO NOT lower the amount of players needed from 12 to 6 just to try to EVEN the playlist because it ACTUALLY CREATES ONE team even MORE STACKED so the end result is that usually the new comers are being underwelmed by those who create 6 man squads so this takes me to my next point.No.6 create a solo or two man searching in case of split screen warzone queuing lobbies because this will help the new halo players get ADJUSTED to halo and NOT RAGE QUIT as how halo 5 do. No. 6 be more aggressive towards RAGE QUITTERS by giving harsher punishment then 5 min after two back to back quits, NOBODY LIKES RAGE QUITTERS! No. 7 and finally IF and WHEN there's an update that needs to be required, please test it out not LOCALLY but across different state SERVERS so that there won't be any issues when it's released. And please make more suveys or polls to address the issues that people want to be resolved first so the community can be more interactive on what MATTERS most to us. And NEVER leave us with DOUBT such as your past games MCC.
Thank you and have a GREAT DAY!
Hello to everyone at 343 and the halo 5 community!
I am a very loyal halo player since the beginning and I'm tired of seeing it fail and not to be condescending but I have the greatest solutions to the upcoming halo game because halo 5 has been out for too long and people are looking towards other game but besides that here are my solutions to GREATLY IMPACT HALO 6 if you decide to take my ideas. This regards to matchmaking itself. No.1 for RANK matches bring back the numerical ranks 1-50 to make it easier to balance the game out because it will NOT encourage BOOSTING as much and this will beneficial as regarding to not updating the match-making as much. Also keep the SR ranking as additional for those who want to reach the highest as 1-152 as done in halo 5 but give those an incentive like cosmetic along the way to reaching max level. No. 2 Keep Local, Balanced, and Expanded to give a variety of finding matches depending on the time of day. No 3. For WARZONE match-making if you guys decide to bring it back, please add more players to the mix and DO NOT lower the amount of players needed from 12 to 6 just to try to EVEN the playlist because it ACTUALLY CREATES ONE team even MORE STACKED so the end result is that usually the new comers are being underwelmed by those who create 6 man squads so this takes me to my next point.No.6 create a solo or two man searching in case of split screen warzone queuing lobbies because this will help the new halo players get ADJUSTED to halo and NOT RAGE QUIT as how halo 5 do. No. 6 be more aggressive towards RAGE QUITTERS by giving harsher punishment then 5 min after two back to back quits, NOBODY LIKES RAGE QUITTERS! No. 7 and finally IF and WHEN there's an update that needs to be required, please test it out not LOCALLY but across different state SERVERS so that there won't be any issues when it's released. And please make more suveys or polls to address the issues that people want to be resolved first so the community can be more interactive on what MATTERS most to us. And NEVER leave us with DOUBT such as your past games MCC.
Thank you and have a GREAT DAY!
Boosting was rampant with 1-50 in H3, "trueskill" was easily abused.

Step 1: Make an alt account and buy a turbo controller.
Step 2: Search any ranked playlist on your alt account and wrap an elastic around the turbo controller so that it spams the A button making you search again when your game ends and causing you to jump up and down in game.
Step 3: 500 losses later play with whoever you want to boost using this account. You have a booster account in doubles playing with a new account? Congrats you are rank 50 in 20 games!

Then you get people selling these level 50 accounts for hundreds of dollars and people paying to be boosted, was awful.
This has helped my understanding tremendously and it seems I've underestimated your dedication to constantly improving the matchmaking.
I'll try to search focused as you suggested.
I also like your idea to bring the players together to enhance the matchmaking. I'm curious to see how it enhances the gameplay.
I do have a question, my performance in game is all over the map.
SOME days playing like a silver and other days mid-high platinum. Could this be a reason why I had a diamond pulled into a ranked match last night?
Or could it have been some other factor? I was in match 3 of my ranking in FFA...

Here

It seemed like last night I had unusually high wait times and was booted out of searching a few times...i guess I'm asking if it's me and how I'm playing or did the matchmaking just try to produce a match for the sake of playing?

Thank you for the write up, love the idea of playing FFA without ranks...hopefully slayer also...
Collet005 wrote:
I would like to see:
HCS Arena
HCS FFA
HCS Doubles
Swat
Breakout
Social skirmish (obj and slayer)
BTB
other social playlist (infection, fiesta, etc..)
When was the last time you played Halo?
There's already an HCS Arena playlist called HCS Summer 2017.
GhostX 117 wrote:
Actually i wanted up to bring up another issue. Is there any chance you guys could stop the whole getting rematched against the same people the very next game? There is nothing more frustrating then running into a To4, losing, and the matching them up again the very next game. Ive even had situations where ive rematched a To4 3 games in a row. I feel this would also help alleviate some of the issues people have with running into teams when solo queuing.

If a player/s loses to a set of players then they should not match up against them again until possibly a few games later. Or at least when possible have the game make sure to shuffle the players around enough.
This usually happens because the system believes the teams are evenly balanced. It has happened to me plenty of times. Usually we beat each other and then when the tie breaker comes around, both those teams don't face each other after quite some time. Usually if you get beat twice by the same teams, the system should not match you again after that...
This has helped my understanding tremendously and it seems I've underestimated your dedication to constantly improving the matchmaking.
I'll try to search focused as you suggested.
I also like your idea to bring the players together to enhance the matchmaking. I'm curious to see how it enhances the gameplay.
I do have a question, my performance in game is all over the map.
SOME days playing like a silver and other days mid-high platinum. Could this be a reason why I had a diamond pulled into a ranked match last night?
Or could it have been some other factor? I was in match 3 of my ranking in FFA...

HereIt seemed like last night I had unusually high wait times and was booted out of searching a few times...i guess I'm asking if it's me and how I'm playing or did the matchmaking just try to produce a match for the sake of playing?

Thank you for the write up, love the idea of playing FFA without ranks...hopefully slayer also...
There were some general issues with matching last night that our services engineers fixed around 1am, so that's probably what you saw with getting booted.

I'd have to get a link to the actual match in Waypoint rather than the picture to see why you matched. high gold vs. low diamond can happen after a bit over a minute of a wait.
ZaedynFel wrote:
It would open up the possibility for having more Ranked lists like BTB, yes.
That sounds good. I also forgot about the part in the initial post where you said that ranked matches wouldn't have their stats affected if they matched social.
D M4N8 wrote:
GhostX 117 wrote:
Actually i wanted up to bring up another issue. Is there any chance you guys could stop the whole getting rematched against the same people the very next game? There is nothing more frustrating then running into a To4, losing, and the matching them up again the very next game. Ive even had situations where ive rematched a To4 3 games in a row. I feel this would also help alleviate some of the issues people have with running into teams when solo queuing.

If a player/s loses to a set of players then they should not match up against them again until possibly a few games later. Or at least when possible have the game make sure to shuffle the players around enough.
This usually happens because the system believes the teams are evenly balanced. It has happened to me plenty of times. Usually we beat each other and then when the tie breaker comes around, both those teams don't face each other after quite some time. Usually if you get beat twice by the same teams, the system should not match you again after that...
It can happen if you're the only 2 teams anywhere near each other searching at the same time.

You can try and mix it up by backing out of the search if it happens again and waiting a couple of minutes. But if they're still in the queue, you'll get them again.
Sevennn wrote:
Hello to everyone at 343 and the halo 5 community!
I am a very loyal halo player since the beginning and I'm tired of seeing it fail and not to be condescending but I have the greatest solutions to the upcoming halo game because halo 5 has been out for too long and people are looking towards other game but besides that here are my solutions to GREATLY IMPACT HALO 6 if you decide to take my ideas. This regards to matchmaking itself. No.1 for RANK matches bring back the numerical ranks 1-50 to make it easier to balance the game out because it will NOT encourage BOOSTING as much and this will beneficial as regarding to not updating the match-making as much. Also keep the SR ranking as additional for those who want to reach the highest as 1-152 as done in halo 5 but give those an incentive like cosmetic along the way to reaching max level. No. 2 Keep Local, Balanced, and Expanded to give a variety of finding matches depending on the time of day. No 3. For WARZONE match-making if you guys decide to bring it back, please add more players to the mix and DO NOT lower the amount of players needed from 12 to 6 just to try to EVEN the playlist because it ACTUALLY CREATES ONE team even MORE STACKED so the end result is that usually the new comers are being underwelmed by those who create 6 man squads so this takes me to my next point.No.6 create a solo or two man searching in case of split screen warzone queuing lobbies because this will help the new halo players get ADJUSTED to halo and NOT RAGE QUIT as how halo 5 do. No. 6 be more aggressive towards RAGE QUITTERS by giving harsher punishment then 5 min after two back to back quits, NOBODY LIKES RAGE QUITTERS! No. 7 and finally IF and WHEN there's an update that needs to be required, please test it out not LOCALLY but across different state SERVERS so that there won't be any issues when it's released. And please make more suveys or polls to address the issues that people want to be resolved first so the community can be more interactive on what MATTERS most to us. And NEVER leave us with DOUBT such as your past games MCC.
Thank you and have a GREAT DAY!
Boosting was rampant with 1-50 in H3, "trueskill" was easily abused.

Step 1: Make an alt account and buy a turbo controller.
Step 2: Search any ranked playlist on your alt account and wrap an elastic around the turbo controller so that it spams the A button making you search again when your game ends and causing you to jump up and down in game.
Step 3: 500 losses later play with whoever you want to boost using this account. You have a booster account in doubles playing with a new account? Congrats you are rank 50 in 20 games!

Then you get people selling these level 50 accounts for hundreds of dollars and people paying to be boosted, was awful.
Reporting cheaters and investigating those who are going beyond negative being red flagged by an agorithm and adjusting the playlist to where you won't be able to play against the same person twice could easily fix the boosting and add a voting system to boot out players with the majority of the votes on social or match-making where people can join.
Did these tweaks remove playlists from ranked? I can't find updates anywhere else talking about this. The only Ranked playlists left for me to select are Free-For-All, Breakout, and HCS Summer 2017. I couldn't find a forum about this issue anywhere else, so I'm curious if it was part of the tweak?
Did these tweaks remove playlists from ranked? I can't find updates anywhere else talking about this. The only Ranked playlists left for me to select are Free-For-All, Breakout, and HCS Summer 2017. I couldn't find a forum about this issue anywhere else, so I'm curious if it was part of the tweak?
That's a glitch. Hard resetting should fix it.
Sevennn wrote:
Hello to everyone at 343 and the halo 5 community!
I am a very loyal halo player since the beginning and I'm tired of seeing it fail and not to be condescending but I have the greatest solutions to the upcoming halo game because halo 5 has been out for too long and people are looking towards other game but besides that here are my solutions to GREATLY IMPACT HALO 6 if you decide to take my ideas. This regards to matchmaking itself. No.1 for RANK matches bring back the numerical ranks 1-50 to make it easier to balance the game out because it will NOT encourage BOOSTING as much and this will beneficial as regarding to not updating the match-making as much. Also keep the SR ranking as additional for those who want to reach the highest as 1-152 as done in halo 5 but give those an incentive like cosmetic along the way to reaching max level. No. 2 Keep Local, Balanced, and Expanded to give a variety of finding matches depending on the time of day. No 3. For WARZONE match-making if you guys decide to bring it back, please add more players to the mix and DO NOT lower the amount of players needed from 12 to 6 just to try to EVEN the playlist because it ACTUALLY CREATES ONE team even MORE STACKED so the end result is that usually the new comers are being underwelmed by those who create 6 man squads so this takes me to my next point.No.6 create a solo or two man searching in case of split screen warzone queuing lobbies because this will help the new halo players get ADJUSTED to halo and NOT RAGE QUIT as how halo 5 do. No. 6 be more aggressive towards RAGE QUITTERS by giving harsher punishment then 5 min after two back to back quits, NOBODY LIKES RAGE QUITTERS! No. 7 and finally IF and WHEN there's an update that needs to be required, please test it out not LOCALLY but across different state SERVERS so that there won't be any issues when it's released. And please make more suveys or polls to address the issues that people want to be resolved first so the community can be more interactive on what MATTERS most to us. And NEVER leave us with DOUBT such as your past games MCC.
Thank you and have a GREAT DAY!
Boosting was rampant with 1-50 in H3, "trueskill" was easily abused.

Step 1: Make an alt account and buy a turbo controller.
Step 2: Search any ranked playlist on your alt account and wrap an elastic around the turbo controller so that it spams the A button making you search again when your game ends and causing you to jump up and down in game.
Step 3: 500 losses later play with whoever you want to boost using this account. You have a booster account in doubles playing with a new account? Congrats you are rank 50 in 20 games!

Then you get people selling these level 50 accounts for hundreds of dollars and people paying to be boosted, was awful.
I disagree boosting was rampant in Halo 3! That's a strong word....You make it sound like every other person had a 50 account with barely any game played lol Did it happen? sure, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what you or some people think/make it out to be. People have figured out how to boost in pretty much any game. I played a BOAT LOAD of H3 on this account and at friends houses on split screen, as did many of my friends and we rarely saw it. Also my primary playlist was doubles, and I barely saw any boosted accounts. When we did, it was pretty clear that they boosted because we always destroyed them lol The issue only got some media play later on because people started selling there accounts and some people were foolish enough to buy them (Still can't believe people would spend real money on them, lol) So Microsoft had a press release of pretty much saying, don't buy these account please and that's it. The % of people who boosted was very, very small. Please don't make it sound like it was like 90% or even half or anything because it just wasn't true.

The Halo 3 system had it's flaws, but to this day many, MANY people will still say it was the best ranking system they have ever been apart of (not just Halo games too by the way) It was far from awful. This said, Halo 5 system is pretty much Halo 3 system, minus the rank names and season resets. I LOVED halo 3 system but in the end I think Halo 5 and future halo 6 will be even better.
ZaedynFel wrote:
A Way to Increase Playlist Quality Recent stats we’ve analyzed confirm something we’ve always expected. One of the strongest indicators of match quality for a given playlist is its current population. When the population goes up, so does quality, as population goes down, quality always goes down.
So ideally, we should keep as much of the population together as possible to give higher quality matchmaking to everyone.
For example, when we take a playlist, and split it between Ranked and Social, matchmaking quality ALWAYS goes down. We’ve never seen it improve doing this. Basically, the benefits of separating the two are almost always overcome by the reduced match quality. This is even more apparent in skilled playlists because the more important skill is to the gameplay, the higher the population you need for quality matchmaking.
One option I have some experience with in other games to alleviate this is instead of splitting a Ranked list, let players choose Ranked or Social, but matchmake them together. Those that match Social don’t have their Ranks or stats affected. The result is higher quality matchmaking for everyone. We can even adjust the MMR of Social players so we don’t put them on your team if they aren’t in “try hard” mode.
We could also have some lists be Ranked or Social only (e.g. HCS vs. Action Sack) when appropriate.
Downsides I’ve heard:
  • “I don’t want someone on my team who doesn’t care if they win or lose.” Besides the fact that people tend to still care even if they are playing Social, we could consider never putting Ranked and Social players on the same team.
  • “Although Social players usually lean back and relax, sometimes they lean forward, resulting in them playing much better than expected and making the match imbalanced” I’ve heard this complaint, but rarely seen it happen in practice. Player performance doesn’t vary enough in stats to support this.
  • “Ranked teams can convince Social ones to throw the game for free wins in Ranked” In games I’ve seen this option in, I haven’t noticed this having a large impact. But, to reduce the impact of this effect, we could make some playlists Ranked-only (e.g. HCS).
Anyways, this is an option I’m looking at in the future because it has greatly improved matchmaking quality in my experience. Let me know what you think.
This is an interesting idea, but I find that people who want to play ranked, just want to play ranked. The problem with this type of system that you suggest that I see are,

  1. People will quit social matches right off the bat because they just want to play ranked
  2. People will quit to "home screen" as soon as they see they are playing social and not ranked and/or
  3. (and this may be the worst one) People get frustrated, bored etc. in getting social matches when they just want to play ranked games that they ultimately just quit the game (maybe for good...) and go play something else.
I don't mind playing social when I feel like playing social. I'll play a few social matches to warm up before going into ranked (like a lot of people do) but otherwise when I'm playing ranked, I want to just play ranked!! and in my experience other people are the same way. Now I know this isn't entirely the same, but I think it's applies. In Halo Reach and 4 I lost interest very quickly because there was no ranking system. I like the competitive nature that ranked brings. Those matches where your down and your team comes back to win the match....oh I love those games and the feelings they bring. After the match, you and friends are so excited from your victory and can't wait till that next match! .... but if we're in the system that your suggesting, what happens if we get a social match after our ranked match? I'll tell you.... it kills ALL momentum! Again, when I want to play ranked, I just want to play ranked! I'll admit though, and a little off topic, I always liked Just normal Team Slayer Ranked, more then HSC or MLG playlists. I just how there is more variety in weapons, power ups and most importantly maps!!! As of now, I still think the best option is separate ranked and social playlists.

Ultimately, if the product is Fun, Looks and Sounds amazing, and is complete from the get go AND all the main playlists are there at launch, people will buy your game and stay to play your game I feel. I just think having the main playlists that people have know and loved since Halo CE need to be in at launch. Trying new game modes is a great, like breakout for example but I feel those should be brought in later after the game has come out. Use the rotational playlists to test the community to see what people really like and what not. If something becomes popular enough, it gets it's own playlist in that halo game or future halo games aka like what happen to SWAT, Griftball etc. you know. Anyways, not trying to get off topic here, just trying to make a point :)

A other thought I've had is maybe some playlists need to be in Customs games and Customs browsers only though. Speciality type playlists you know..... and before anyone bites my head off remember, I'm just tossing idea's around, that's ALL! I don't know, just a though I've had floating around in my head.

In theory, I think the idea you suggested is a good one, but unless I'm not understanding something right, in reality I think it will frustrate people more then anything (The people who just want to play ranked mainly) I am curious though... you mentioned in your post that other games have used this style of system. What games are you talking about? I don't think I've ever played any game that uses this type of system, so I would be interested to see them.
Lazar7666 wrote:
Hi Josh, I was just wondering if the new search perimeters in FFA only apply to Expanded? I ask this because I have had FFA time out on me twice after reading this searching on Balanced. Is there really that small of a FFA population in Australia at least at that time?
I'm not in Australia, but I've had the same issue, even when searching expanded. I don't remember ever having a FFA search time out on me until this update that was supposed to help find matches quicker. And I'm low ranked player (Plat 1) so I'd expect there to be plenty of players around that same skill level for me to match.
ZaedynFel wrote:
A Way to Increase Playlist Quality Recent stats we’ve analyzed confirm something we’ve always expected. One of the strongest indicators of match quality for a given playlist is its current population. When the population goes up, so does quality, as population goes down, quality always goes down.
So ideally, we should keep as much of the population together as possible to give higher quality matchmaking to everyone.
For example, when we take a playlist, and split it between Ranked and Social, matchmaking quality ALWAYS goes down. We’ve never seen it improve doing this. Basically, the benefits of separating the two are almost always overcome by the reduced match quality. This is even more apparent in skilled playlists because the more important skill is to the gameplay, the higher the population you need for quality matchmaking.
One option I have some experience with in other games to alleviate this is instead of splitting a Ranked list, let players choose Ranked or Social, but matchmake them together. Those that match Social don’t have their Ranks or stats affected. The result is higher quality matchmaking for everyone. We can even adjust the MMR of Social players so we don’t put them on your team if they aren’t in “try hard” mode.
We could also have some lists be Ranked or Social only (e.g. HCS vs. Action Sack) when appropriate.
Downsides I’ve heard:
  • “I don’t want someone on my team who doesn’t care if they win or lose.” Besides the fact that people tend to still care even if they are playing Social, we could consider never putting Ranked and Social players on the same team.
  • “Although Social players usually lean back and relax, sometimes they lean forward, resulting in them playing much better than expected and making the match imbalanced” I’ve heard this complaint, but rarely seen it happen in practice. Player performance doesn’t vary enough in stats to support this.
  • “Ranked teams can convince Social ones to throw the game for free wins in Ranked” In games I’ve seen this option in, I haven’t noticed this having a large impact. But, to reduce the impact of this effect, we could make some playlists Ranked-only (e.g. HCS).
Anyways, this is an option I’m looking at in the future because it has greatly improved matchmaking quality in my experience. Let me know what you think.
This is an interesting idea, but I find that people who want to play ranked, just want to play ranked. The problem with this type of system that you suggest that I see are,

  1. People will quit social matches right off the bat because they just want to play ranked
  2. People will quit to "home screen" as soon as they see they are playing social and not ranked and/or
  3. (and this may be the worst one) People get frustrated, bored etc. in getting social matches when they just want to play ranked games that they ultimately just quit the game (maybe for good...) and go play something else.
I don't mind playing social when I feel like playing social. I'll play a few social matches to warm up before going into ranked (like a lot of people do) but otherwise when I'm playing ranked, I want to just play ranked!! and in my experience other people are the same way. Now I know this isn't entirely the same, but I think it's applies. In Halo Reach and 4 I lost interest very quickly because there was no ranking system. I like the competitive nature that ranked brings. Those matches where your down and your team comes back to win the match....oh I love those games and the feelings they bring. After the match, you and friends are so excited from your victory and can't wait till that next match! .... but if we're in the system that your suggesting, what happens if we get a social match after our ranked match? I'll tell you.... it kills ALL momentum! Again, when I want to play ranked, I just want to play ranked! I'll admit though, and a little off topic, I always liked Just normal Team Slayer Ranked, more then HSC or MLG playlists. I just how there is more variety in weapons, power ups and most importantly maps!!! As of now, I still think the best option is separate ranked and social playlists.

Ultimately, if the product is Fun, Looks and Sounds amazing, and is complete from the get go AND all the main playlists are there at launch, people will buy your game and stay to play your game I feel. I just think having the main playlists that people have know and loved since Halo CE need to be in at launch. Trying new game modes is a great, like breakout for example but I feel those should be brought in later after the game has come out. Use the rotational playlists to test the community to see what people really like and what not. If something becomes popular enough, it gets it's own playlist in that halo game or future halo games aka like what happen to SWAT, Griftball etc. you know. Anyways, not trying to get off topic here, just trying to make a point :)

A other thought I've had is maybe some playlists need to be in Customs games and Customs browsers only though. Speciality type playlists you know..... and before anyone bites my head off remember, I'm just tossing idea's around, that's ALL! I don't know, just a though I've had floating around in my head.

In theory, I think the idea you suggested is a good one, but unless I'm not understanding something right, in reality I think it will frustrate people more then anything (The people who just want to play ranked mainly) I am curious though... you mentioned in your post that other games have used this style of system. What games are you talking about? I don't think I've ever played any game that uses this type of system, so I would be interested to see them.
I don't really get what you're saying about people quitting if they only get ranked/social games. How I understood the suggestion of combining ranked and social was that rather than having for example, ranked Slayer and social Slayer, they would combine that into one playlist. If you wanted to play ranked, you'd select the playlist from the ranked screen and if you wanted to play social, you'd select it from the social screen. It wouldn't be like one game you'd be playing ranked Slayer and the next it'd be social Slayer, or at least that's not how I understood it. It would just mean that if you want to play social, it wouldn't affect your stats, just MMR so you're still playing balanced games (hopefully). It basically would just increase the population so you can find higher quality games. I could definitely be wrong, that's just how I interpreted it.
D M4N8 wrote:
Collet005 wrote:
I would like to see:
HCS Arena
HCS FFA
HCS Doubles
Swat
Breakout
Social skirmish (obj and slayer)
BTB
other social playlist (infection, fiesta, etc..)
When was the last time you played Halo?
There's already an HCS Arena playlist called HCS Summer 2017.
Erm.....but where's HCS FFA and HCS DOUBLES. I want to see both of those too.
ZaedynFel wrote:
A Way to Increase Playlist Quality For example, when we take a playlist, and split it between Ranked and Social, matchmaking quality ALWAYS goes down. We’ve never seen it improve doing this. Basically, the benefits of separating the two are almost always overcome by the reduced match quality. This is even more apparent in skilled playlists because the more important skill is to the gameplay, the higher the population you need for quality matchmaking.
One option I have some experience with in other games to alleviate this is instead of splitting a Ranked list, let players choose Ranked or Social, but matchmake them together. Those that match Social don’t have their Ranks or stats affected. The result is higher quality matchmaking for everyone. We can even adjust the MMR of Social players so we don’t put them on your team if they aren’t in “try hard” mode.
We could also have some lists be Ranked or Social only (e.g. HCS vs. Action Sack) when appropriate.
Downsides I’ve heard:
  • “I don’t want someone on my team who doesn’t care if they win or lose.” Besides the fact that people tend to still care even if they are playing Social, we could consider never putting Ranked and Social players on the same team.
  • “Although Social players usually lean back and relax, sometimes they lean forward, resulting in them playing much better than expected and making the match imbalanced” I’ve heard this complaint, but rarely seen it happen in practice. Player performance doesn’t vary enough in stats to support this.
  • “Ranked teams can convince Social ones to throw the game for free wins in Ranked” In games I’ve seen this option in, I haven’t noticed this having a large impact. But, to reduce the impact of this effect, we could make some playlists Ranked-only (e.g. HCS).
Anyways, this is an option I’m looking at in the future because it has greatly improved matchmaking quality in my experience. Let me know what you think.
This is an interesting idea, but I find that people who want to play ranked, just want to play ranked. The problem with this type of system that you suggest that I see are,

  1. People will quit social matches right off the bat because they just want to play ranked
  2. People will quit to "home screen" as soon as they see they are playing social and not ranked and/or
  3. (and this may be the worst one) People get frustrated, bored etc. in getting social matches when they just want to play ranked games that they ultimately just quit the game (maybe for good...) and go play something else.
I don't mind playing social when I feel like playing social. I'll play a few social matches to warm up before going into ranked (like a lot of people do) but otherwise when I'm playing ranked, I want to just play ranked!! and in my experience other people are the same way. Now I know this isn't entirely the same, but I think it's applies. In Halo Reach and 4 I lost interest very quickly because there was no ranking system. I like the competitive nature that ranked brings. Those matches where your down and your team comes back to win the match....oh I love those games and the feelings they bring. After the match, you and friends are so excited from your victory and can't wait till that next match! .... but if we're in the system that your suggesting, what happens if we get a social match after our ranked match? I'll tell you.... it kills ALL momentum! Again, when I want to play ranked, I just want to play ranked! I'll admit though, and a little off topic, I always liked Just normal Team Slayer Ranked, more then HSC or MLG playlists. I just how there is more variety in weapons, power ups and most importantly maps!!! As of now, I still think the best option is separate ranked and social playlists.

Ultimately, if the product is Fun, Looks and Sounds amazing, and is complete from the get go AND all the main playlists are there at launch, people will buy your game and stay to play your game I feel. I just think having the main playlists that people have know and loved since Halo CE need to be in at launch. Trying new game modes is a great, like breakout for example but I feel those should be brought in later after the game has come out. Use the rotational playlists to test the community to see what people really like and what not. If something becomes popular enough, it gets it's own playlist in that halo game or future halo games aka like what happen to SWAT, Griftball etc. you know. Anyways, not trying to get off topic here, just trying to make a point :)

A other thought I've had is maybe some playlists need to be in Customs games and Customs browsers only though. Speciality type playlists you know..... and before anyone bites my head off remember, I'm just tossing idea's around, that's ALL! I don't know, just a though I've had floating around in my head.

In theory, I think the idea you suggested is a good one, but unless I'm not understanding something right, in reality I think it will frustrate people more then anything (The people who just want to play ranked mainly) I am curious though... you mentioned in your post that other games have used this style of system. What games are you talking about? I don't think I've ever played any game that uses this type of system, so I would be interested to see them.
I don't really get what you're saying about people quitting if they only get ranked/social games. How I understood the suggestion of combining ranked and social was that rather than having for example, ranked Slayer and social Slayer, they would combine that into one playlist. If you wanted to play ranked, you'd select the playlist from the ranked screen and if you wanted to play social, you'd select it from the social screen. It wouldn't be like one game you'd be playing ranked Slayer and the next it'd be social Slayer, or at least that's not how I understood it. It would just mean that if you want to play social, it wouldn't affect your stats, just MMR so you're still playing balanced games (hopefully). It basically would just increase the population so you can find higher quality games. I could definitely be wrong, that's just how I interpreted it.
Funny how people read something and both can interpreted differently lol

If it's your way, how would that method increase the population of a playlist? Isn't It's no different than what we have right now, minus the layout is different? So Ranked people are playing ranked people and social people are playing social people still. If this is the case, again, I really don't see the difference then of what we have now.

I interpreted it as Ranked and Soical playlists are combine. So say I go into Team Slayer with a team and we pick ranked. Then we could be matched up with people who also picked Ranked OR we could be matched up against people that chose Social. If it was the Social people, then our rank wouldn't be affected if we won or lost.

I could be way off too.... If I am, can someone please explain it to me again, perhaps word it differently.... maybe I'm just a little slow today, I am tired too lol and if I am wrong, people could just disregard half of my one post then too, thanks lol
D M4N8 wrote:
Collet005 wrote:
I would like to see:
HCS Arena
HCS FFA
HCS Doubles
Swat
Breakout
Social skirmish (obj and slayer)
BTB
other social playlist (infection, fiesta, etc..)
When was the last time you played Halo?
There's already an HCS Arena playlist called HCS Summer 2017.
Erm.....but where's HCS FFA and HCS DOUBLES. I want to see both of those too.
This is an interesting idea, but I find that people who want to play ranked, just want to play ranked. The problem with this type of system that you suggest that I see are,

  1. People will quit social matches right off the bat because they just want to play ranked
  2. People will quit to "home screen" as soon as they see they are playing social and not ranked and/or
  3. (and this may be the worst one) People get frustrated, bored etc. in getting social matches when they just want to play ranked games that they ultimately just quit the game (maybe for good...) and go play something else.
I don't mind playing social when I feel like playing social. I'll play a few social matches to warm up before going into ranked (like a lot of people do) but otherwise when I'm playing ranked, I want to just play ranked!! and in my experience other people are the same way.
Maybe I was unclear. You wouldn't matchmake and "hope" to get Ranked. You would pick between them and then queue for the match. If you choose Ranked, the match counts. If you didn't, it doesn't.

The match itself, might be a mix of people who picked Social and Ranked. The ones that picked Ranked will have the match affect their Ranked CSR/MMR. Those that didn't, won't.

If you pick Ranked, it'll be Ranked, if Social, social.

The win is that you can matchmake them together and get a higher quality experience.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5