Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – March 12

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hey folks, not a ton of news through the last week. I’m busy doing a little coding to help get the new TrueSkill work integrated. More on that when it’s closer to ready to go. It’s coming along really well though and putting up some impressive numbers. I’ll be discussing a lot of the tech benefits at GDC next Thursday.

Playlist Popularity
Here’s an update on playlist popularity using the last week.

Super Fiesta
Slayer
Heroic Warzone Firefight
Warzone
Quick Play
Halo 3 Classic Throwback
Big Team Battle
Infection
Legendary Warzone Firefight
SWAT
Team Arena
Doubles
HaloWC 2018
Action Sack
Snipers
Mythic Warzone Firefight
Breakout
Warzone Assault
HaloWC FFA
Grifball
@Josh -

Thanks for the small tidbit on the work you're doing to get the new TrueSkill ready. I very much look forward to its implementation! Oh, and I look forward to watching the GDC conference in like 8 months or so when its available on YouTube.

Also, I was hoping you could provide some answers to my inquires from last week. With the change for Onyx going from 2-3% of the population to roughly 10% what effect will that have on the percentages of the other Tiers? For instance, will Bronze also increase percentage-wise in similar fashion (so approximately 10%)? I imagine Gold and Platinum percentages will justifiably decrease while Silver and Diamond end up somewhere between the Onyx/Bronze percentage and the Gold/Platinum percentages, right? If so, is that an increase or decrease in percentage for Silver/Diamond?
Yikes, guess that explains why I’ve barely been able to find games in FFA lately :(
Yikes, guess that explains why I’ve barely been able to find games in FFA lately :(
Yeah, I've been wondering if Breakout, WZ Assault, FFA, & Grifball would be best served by becoming weekend only playlists in similar fashion to Mythic Firefight.

Spoiler:
Show
I think it's time to make FFA social and add in objective modes.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I think it's time to make FFA social and add in objective modes.
I wish Doubles had objective game types.
Hey Josh! Could we possibly get a feature that allows for a game to be called a draw if a team loses a player within the first minute or 5 kills? It's really frustrating when the game loads you in with only 3 players on your team or when a teammate lags out shortly after the game begins. If the match has been in play for less than a minute it's very hard to determine who will win, so that hopefully it can't be abused.
How is Warzone #4 and I still can never get a game? The servers always boot me out after 5ish minutes. The other playlists I can get a game no problem but Warzone I just never seem to be able to.
Exenius wrote:
Hey Josh! Could we possibly get a feature that allows for a game to be called a draw if a team loses a player within the first minute or 5 kills? It's really frustrating when the game loads you in with only 3 players on your team or when a teammate lags out shortly after the game begins. If the match has been in play for less than a minute it's very hard to determine who will win, so that hopefully it can't be abused.
This gets dodgy because players could abuse it to boost their ratings by leaving whenever they see a hard team. Instead, if you're not the first one to leave, you can leave without an extra penalty and just the normal loss.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Exenius wrote:
This gets dodgy because players could abuse it to boost their ratings by leaving whenever they see a hard team. Instead, if you're not the first one to leave, you can leave without an extra penalty and just the normal loss.
That's true, but can't you already do that by dodging in the pre-game menu when you see the emblems of a team you know is good? Why leave that in, but dismiss the other option which benefits fair players? What about just making it so the game doesn't start if someone dashboards while the countdown is active leaving one team with 3?
Despite the calls above to move FFA social- I hope it keeps some resemblance to it's current format. No gimmicks. Given how frustrating solo Q can be elsewhere, it's my favorite playlist.

Counterpoint to the 2nd reply- I have not had to wait for games. If anything, I'd prefer matching be a bit tighter. The regularity that I am matching players on different continents seems unnecessary given how quick search times have otherwise been.
I kinda want to say make BTB have pistol starts.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Exenius wrote:
Why not implement a forfeit option then?
Really hate to see WZA be so close to the bottom. Its my favorite gametype and so much more fun than RWZ
Specific suggestions to improve the overall experience:

- Adding HCS maps to HaloWC FFA (Like Coli, Plaza, Empire) with increased weighting on tournament maps (Truth/Regret) -- people will still get good practice out of the HCS radar and limited weapons
- Making HaloWC FFA a kill-limit game mode instead of time-limit -- same practice opportunities, just faster matches, increased opponent variety (also better practice) and less demotivating to grind when a match doesn't go well. Added bonus of less quitting
- Replacing ranked Snipers with permanent Shotty Snipers
- Testing pistol starts in BTB because the BR is just not fun at all on big maps
- Implementing Multi-Team experience (not Triple Team) with 4 teams of 2 and objective game modes (Slayer, Oddball, KOTH, even Fiesta?) as a fun but different alternative to FFA but in social
I don't know if you can talk about it now or if you'll just wait until it's closer to release, but I'd be curious to know about the details of how the TruSkill system is going to work with the playlists where the population is really bad. Also, if the win percentages are going to change when solo players match parties. Currently, I think it's 70/30 or something like that, so will that change to a more fairer number?
I’m LOVING the Halo 3 throwback playlist! It’s been a while since I’ve had the time to play matchmaking, so it’s been a real treat to be able to join in some good fun!
Exenius wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Exenius wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Being able to dashboard quit (i.e. essentially resetting your game) out of a lobby is something Halo 5 can't stop.

ZaedynFel wrote:
Exenius wrote:
Why not implement a forfeit option then?
Being able to leave a game without incurring the extra penalty (30 CSR loss) is the forfeit option. So you just take the 15 or whatever you would have normally lost had you stuck the game out to the end.
Guess that explains the lack of Team Arena and Slayer games today. Has anyone else had problems with the game freezing while in the Matchmaking Menus? It happened a coulple times this weekend while I was playing with some friends. One player would say oh man my screen just froze and when the game would start the other two players would be in the match but not the one who’s games froze. I would say it was my crappy internet but it was not just me that it happened to.
I kinda want to say make BTB have pistol starts.
Vetoed wrote:
- Testing pistol starts in BTB because the BR is just not fun at all on big maps
Why? It's a longer-ranged gun for maps with longer sightlines, so what's the problem? Can't you already get your fill of pistol fights from almost every other game mode?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3