[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – May 1

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
UPDATE 2: Soft Forfeit is now LIVE. Looks like this got in early.

UPDATE 1: Season Roll is May 4th

We have a new season on the horizon, so for this update I’m going to list the new changes going in this season, and also summarize the updates we’ve made up till now.

I don’t have an exact ETA on the season roll, but it should be later this week. When it does roll, the “new” features will be live. The other features are already live.

New Features that will be live with the Season Roll:
  • Soft Forfeit
    • It will be "safe" to leave if someone has already left the match (from either team).
    • No need to stay on to prevent a ban or extra point loss.
    • No ban if someone has already left
    • No extra CSR loss penalty if someone has already left.
    • You still lose the same amount of CSR as a normal loss.
    • Leavers always lose CSR, regardless of how their team does after, so it’s better to stay if you’re on the winning / advantaged team until the other team leaves.
  • Reduced early-season wait times for higher-skilled players
    • High-skilled players sometimes get MMRs that are higher than is needed.
    • These will now be truncated to a reasonable value at the beginning of the season.
    • They are still high enough to prevent very uneven matches, but low enough to allow more timely matchmaking.
  • Even Stricter CSR boundaries: Onyx population reduced again
    • The previously fixed inflation bug had inflated this despite the changes.
    • We should see even stricter boundaries in the new season
Features live now:
  • Expanded Switching back to Balanced bug is fixed
  • CSR inflation drastically reduced
  • CSR smurfing incentives greatly reduced
  • Better CSR gains for high-skilled players early in the season
  • Reduced wait times for SWAT and FFA
This should be a great season!
"Reduced wait times for SWAT and FFA"
excited to get back into these playlist this season!
I'm honestly so happy about the soft forfeit being added. Thank you.
You know Josh all of this sounds great but without fully working servers this wont mean much, btw have you got any, literally any idea of when the recent issues will be fixed in regards to the servers?
Will soft forfeit be featured in Big Team Battle or just regular Arena modes?
Will soft forfeit be featured in Big Team Battle or just regular Arena modes?
I assume it's geared for Ranked modes. Can quitting Social modes lead to a ban? I rarely quit any matches so I don't know.
What about those times when the game starts with only 3 players?
Why? You're in a lose-lose situation. If you leave your CSR drops and if you stay your K/D gets thrashed.
This is all fine and good but when each game the aiming feels inconsistent and off then I just can't play this game anymore. It's simply unacceptable
All these things sound very good! I'm curious how soft forfeit will affect matches. One question though: how did you reduce the incentives to smurf?
FYI the new season is scheduled to kick off on Thursday, May 4.
Great ideas!!
eLantern wrote:
Can quitting Social modes lead to a ban? I rarely quit any matches so I don't know.
As far as I know you can which is dumb. I haven't been banned for a long time, but it was for quitting social games.
PR0mark wrote:
Why? You're in a lose-lose situation. If you leave your CSR drops and if you stay your K/D gets thrashed. This is stupid.
They have to keep something in place otherwise it would get abused. If there were no penalties, parties would run with a smurf account who would quit whenever they're losing which would allow the team to quit without losing any CSR.

Josh, does the soft forfeit apply to social, ranked, and warzone or is it just for ranked?
You know Josh all of this sounds great but without fully working servers this wont mean much, btw have you got any, literally any idea of when the recent issues will be fixed in regards to the servers?
Is this every match for you? Or just some?

Can you link some matches this happened in?
I love these updates. Great way to know what's going on behind the scenes to improve the experience. For halo 6, will it start off with these features in the matchmaking system, or will it go back to what halo 5 launched with?
PR0mark wrote:
What about those times when the game starts with only 3 players?
Why? You're in a lose-lose situation. If you leave your CSR drops and if you stay your K/D gets thrashed. This is stupid.
If it starts with only 3 players, that means there WAS a 4th player, but they left during loading. In these cases, you're safe to leave.

You have to lose CSR, otherwise it would be trivial to exploit, especially when in a party:
  • Are we losing? Convince whoever's turn it is to leave early
  • Everyone else leaves without losing CSR
  • With 50/50 matchmaking, where your CSR should not be going up or down you net +30 CSR every 8 games and constantly go up. (-30 once for everyone on their turn, and +15 to everyone for 4 wins = 4 * 15 - 30 = 60 - 30 = +30 points per 8 games when it should be +0)
All these things sound very good! I'm curious how soft forfeit will affect matches. One question though: how did you reduce the incentives to smurf?
See previous updates. The higher up you go in skill, the harder it is to maintain your CSR unless you play with equally-skilled fireteams.
Will the soft quit be applied to social?
ZaedynFel wrote:
Is this every match for you? Or just some?

Can you link some matches this happened in?
Literally watch any halo 5 stream and watch the absurd amounts of lag they go through every game.
Every game consists of players rubber banding, heavy aim, no hit reg, lagouts.

The servers are so bad and unbelievably laggy 80% of the games anyone plays and it's honestly unplayable and unenjoyable
Good stuff Josh. Thank you!!
no changes to ffa like removing the its harder for diamonds to get into onyx if you leginimately earned your way up, or removing losing csr if you finish top 3?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8