Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – May 1

OP ZaedynFel

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8
this update seems to be good. the soft forfeit was a great idea
How does being lagged out affect your csr if it was during one of the 10 placement matches?? I just got lagged out so does that mean I have to perform extra well in the next 9 to make up for it?
It doesn't affect your CSR, but it does affect your MMR maybe a tiny bit. Are you talking about lagging out before the game even loads? In that case, it has very little affect on MMR, though it may unfortunately set a ban flag on you if you were the first to lag out that way.

If you lagged out mid-match, it depends on whether your team wins or loses. MMR updates are pro-rated by how long you were in the match. So if you were there half the match and won, you'd get a half-match win update, and also vice versa.
There are some good changes for this season like the soft forfeit, but what's the point of keeping both Team Arena and the HCS Summer playlist? They are pretty much the same thing and most people that were playing Team Arena in previous seasons are switching over to the HCS playlist. I think Team Arena should be removed now and replaced with another ranked playlist like ranked extermination.

ZaedynFel wrote:
Is the 'Team Arena' playlist being replaced with the HCS playlist?
We wouldn't make a decision like that without observing the health of both lists over time.
Just saw this now. I think we all know that the health of Team Arena is going to suffer with the addition of the HCS playlist, especially at the higher levels like Onyx+. It was pretty difficult to find games towards the end of last season in Team Arena. But I understand this decision. Are there any chances we will see the Extermination playlist become ranked?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Collet005 wrote:
Yesterday after the playlist refresh the game became very fast and responsive, aiming too, not sluggish anymore. Anyone noticed?
Collet I have always noticed that also. While it does play a bit better it is not fixed. Heavy aim/slow movement will set back in. So right now it is more of an illusion and soon it will come back. So basically enjoy the moment because it will be short lived. We will know when they fix the heavy aim. I'm sure it will be in the form of a maintenance update. Maybe Josh will chime in and give us an idea.
Not George wrote:
There are some good changes for this season like the soft forfeit, but what's the point of keeping both Team Arena and the HCS Summer playlist? They are pretty much the same thing and most people that were playing Team Arena in previous seasons are switching over to the HCS playlist. I think Team Arena should be removed now and replaced with another ranked playlist like ranked extermination.

ZaedynFel wrote:
Is the 'Team Arena' playlist being replaced with the HCS playlist?
We wouldn't make a decision like that without observing the health of both lists over time.
Just saw this now. I think we all know that the health of Team Arena is going to suffer with the addition of the HCS playlist, especially at the higher levels like Onyx+. It was pretty difficult to find games towards the end of last season in Team Arena. But I understand this decision. Are there any chances we will see the Extermination playlist become ranked?
Although I definitely see your point about making it harder for higher ranking players to find matches in Team Arena since I'd assume most of the highest ranked players (like pros and AMs) prefer the more competitive settings in the HCS playlist, I'd kinda like to see Team Arena kept in (if the population is high enough to justify it of course) if for no other reason than to satisfy the casuals. I honestly don't care if it stays or goes for me personally, but as soon as there were talks of creating a playlist with actual competitive settings (no ARs, no Splinter Grenades, adjusted radar, etc) a lot of casual players were complaining that 343 was focusing too much on competitive players and alienating the majority of the fan base. While I personally would like to play on the most competitive settings possible, not everyone feels that way. If enough people still play it, I think keeping it in and having the HCS playlist be all about the competitive maps, gametypes, and settings, would be as close as you could get to pleasing everyone. Also, since Team Arena would no longer be the go-to playlist for competitive, they could use it to include maps/gametypes that are fun to play, but just don't work well for competitive (Forge maps, gametypes like Extraction, etc). Don't know how popular that would be, but it might be fun for when you still want to play something other than slayer, but don't really wanna play some sweaty HCS settings.
Not George wrote:
There are some good changes for this season like the soft forfeit, but what's the point of keeping both Team Arena and the HCS Summer playlist? They are pretty much the same thing and most people that were playing Team Arena in previous seasons are switching over to the HCS playlist. I think Team Arena should be removed now and replaced with another ranked playlist like ranked extermination.

ZaedynFel wrote:
Is the 'Team Arena' playlist being replaced with the HCS playlist?
We wouldn't make a decision like that without observing the health of both lists over time.
Just saw this now. I think we all know that the health of Team Arena is going to suffer with the addition of the HCS playlist, especially at the higher levels like Onyx+. It was pretty difficult to find games towards the end of last season in Team Arena. But I understand this decision. Are there any chances we will see the Extermination playlist become ranked?
Although I definitely see your point about making it harder for higher ranking players to find matches in Team Arena since I'd assume most of the highest ranked players (like pros and AMs) prefer the more competitive settings in the HCS playlist, I'd kinda like to see Team Arena kept in (if the population is high enough to justify it of course) if for no other reason than to satisfy the casuals. I honestly don't care if it stays or goes for me personally, but as soon as there were talks of creating a playlist with actual competitive settings (no ARs, no Splinter Grenades, adjusted radar, etc) a lot of casual players were complaining that 343 was focusing too much on competitive players and alienating the majority of the fan base. While I personally would like to play on the most competitive settings possible, not everyone feels that way. If enough people still play it, I think keeping it in and having the HCS playlist be all about the competitive maps, gametypes, and settings, would be as close as you could get to pleasing everyone. Also, since Team Arena would no longer be the go-to playlist for competitive, they could use it to include maps/gametypes that are fun to play, but just don't work well for competitive (Forge maps, gametypes like Extraction, etc). Don't know how popular that would be, but it might be fun for when you still want to play something other than slayer, but don't really wanna play some sweaty HCS settings.
Perfect reason to turn the Team Arena playlist into a Team Objective playlist. Non-HCS driven players or casual-based players will have the opportunity to play Slayer within the Slayer playlist and non-slayer based objectives under a Team Objective playlist -- all while having the more or less "standard" Ranked settings. The objective modes could be the same CTF and Strongholds from within Team Arena now, but with a few additional developer maps added in that may not have received consideration for Team Arena because of the HCS; plus, hopefully with the next big update 343i could introduce the Extraction (1-site) mode into the mixed-bagged playlist as it fits smaller team-based competitive play better than most modes.
@zaedynFel, not sure this is your area or not, but it might make sense for you guys to re-visit the RP award system for WZ games, especially in H6. Right now, you earn RP very fast early in the WZ game, but then after some time, you earn almost no additional RP. For WZA, you earn almost no RP after 6:00, and in regular WZ you earn almost no additional RP after 10:00. Basically the RP awarded curves flatten sharply flatten out at that point (let me know if you need the data - I can post mine).

But this makes little sense... the longer a WZ game goes, the higher the chance it will be a close match with everyone pulling out big REQs, which they'll need to replenish. Yet you're earning almost no RP late in those crazy games.

I'll admit there's risk that if you grant INCREASING RP late in the game, that would be an incentive for teams to just farm more, and delay the game as long as possible. So I'm just wondering whether there's some middle ground that would work. Especially now with the 6-man fireteam limit, a majority of my games go 20+ minutes.
eLantern wrote:
Not George wrote:
There are some good changes for this season like the soft forfeit, but what's the point of keeping both Team Arena and the HCS Summer playlist? They are pretty much the same thing and most people that were playing Team Arena in previous seasons are switching over to the HCS playlist. I think Team Arena should be removed now and replaced with another ranked playlist like ranked extermination.

ZaedynFel wrote:
Is the 'Team Arena' playlist being replaced with the HCS playlist?
We wouldn't make a decision like that without observing the health of both lists over time.
Just saw this now. I think we all know that the health of Team Arena is going to suffer with the addition of the HCS playlist, especially at the higher levels like Onyx+. It was pretty difficult to find games towards the end of last season in Team Arena. But I understand this decision. Are there any chances we will see the Extermination playlist become ranked?
Although I definitely see your point about making it harder for higher ranking players to find matches in Team Arena since I'd assume most of the highest ranked players (like pros and AMs) prefer the more competitive settings in the HCS playlist, I'd kinda like to see Team Arena kept in (if the population is high enough to justify it of course) if for no other reason than to satisfy the casuals. I honestly don't care if it stays or goes for me personally, but as soon as there were talks of creating a playlist with actual competitive settings (no ARs, no Splinter Grenades, adjusted radar, etc) a lot of casual players were complaining that 343 was focusing too much on competitive players and alienating the majority of the fan base. While I personally would like to play on the most competitive settings possible, not everyone feels that way. If enough people still play it, I think keeping it in and having the HCS playlist be all about the competitive maps, gametypes, and settings, would be as close as you could get to pleasing everyone. Also, since Team Arena would no longer be the go-to playlist for competitive, they could use it to include maps/gametypes that are fun to play, but just don't work well for competitive (Forge maps, gametypes like Extraction, etc). Don't know how popular that would be, but it might be fun for when you still want to play something other than slayer, but don't really wanna play some sweaty HCS settings.
Perfect reason to turn the Team Arena playlist into a Team Objective playlist. Non-HCS driven players or casual-based players will have the opportunity to play Slayer within the Slayer playlist and non-slayer based objectives under a Team Objective playlist -- all while having the more or less "standard" Ranked settings. The objective modes could be the same CTF and Strongholds from within Team Arena now, but with a few additional developer maps added in that may not have received consideration for Team Arena because of the HCS; plus, hopefully with the next big update 343i could introduce the Extraction (1-site) mode into the mixed-bagged playlist as it fits smaller team-based competitive play better than most modes.
Exactly
ZaedynFel wrote:
This should be a great season!
Solo players are still matching full lobbies. "Great" might be a stretch.
Does this affect btb at all? Curious because it really sucks playing 8v1 after one team all quits out and there is one guy who just doesn't want to quit ( I don't blame him).

Especially slayer. 10 minutes messing about on the map, kinda boring. At least in objective modes you can quickly end a lopsided game less painfully.
New quit system only affects Ranked, Team-based matches ...
Collet005 wrote:
Yesterday after the playlist refresh the game became very fast and responsive, aiming too, not sluggish anymore. Anyone noticed?
Collet I have always noticed that also. While it does play a bit better it is not fixed. Heavy aim/slow movement will set back in. So right now it is more of an illusion and soon it will come back. So basically enjoy the moment because it will be short lived. We will know when they fix the heavy aim. I'm sure it will be in the form of a maintenance update. Maybe Josh will chime in and give us an idea.
Yes, it lasted few matches this time too...
sounds like it will be a fairly balanced season, good job guys!
ZaedynFel wrote:
UPDATE 2: Soft Forfeit is now LIVE. Looks like this got in early.UPDATE 1: Season Roll is May 4thWe have a new season on the horizon, so for this update I’m going to list the new changes going in this season, and also summarize the updates we’ve made up till now.

I don’t have an exact ETA on the season roll, but it should be later this week. When it does roll, the “new” features will be live. The other features are already live.

New Features that will be live with the Season Roll:
  • Soft Forfeit
    • It will be "safe" to leave if someone has already left the match (from either team).
    • No need to stay on to prevent a ban or extra point loss.
    • No ban if someone has already left
    • No extra CSR loss penalty if someone has already left.
    • You still lose the same amount of CSR as a normal loss.
    • Leavers always lose CSR, regardless of how their team does after, so it’s better to stay if you’re on the winning / advantaged team until the other team leaves.
  • Reduced early-season wait times for higher-skilled players
    • High-skilled players sometimes get MMRs that are higher than is needed.
    • These will now be truncated to a reasonable value at the beginning of the season.
    • They are still high enough to prevent very uneven matches, but low enough to allow more timely matchmaking.
  • Even Stricter CSR boundaries: Onyx population reduced again
    • The previously fixed inflation bug had inflated this despite the changes.
    • We should see even stricter boundaries in the new season
Features live now:
  • Expanded Switching back to Balanced bug is fixed
  • CSR inflation drastically reduced
  • CSR smurfing incentives greatly reduced
  • Better CSR gains for high-skilled players early in the season
  • Reduced wait times for SWAT and FFA
This should be a great season!
uuuuhh .......im sorry..........
Collet005 wrote:
Yesterday after the playlist refresh the game became very fast and responsive, aiming too, not sluggish anymore. Anyone noticed?
Collet I have always noticed that also. While it does play a bit better it is not fixed. Heavy aim/slow movement will set back in. So right now it is more of an illusion and soon it will come back. So basically enjoy the moment because it will be short lived. We will know when they fix the heavy aim. I'm sure it will be in the form of a maintenance update. Maybe Josh will chime in and give us an idea.
Apparently the fix is in the can, waiting to be scheduled. From Dr. Menke on Twitter
Collet005 wrote:
Yesterday after the playlist refresh the game became very fast and responsive, aiming too, not sluggish anymore. Anyone noticed?
Collet I have always noticed that also. While it does play a bit better it is not fixed. Heavy aim/slow movement will set back in. So right now it is more of an illusion and soon it will come back. So basically enjoy the moment because it will be short lived. We will know when they fix the heavy aim. I'm sure it will be in the form of a maintenance update. Maybe Josh will chime in and give us an idea.
Apparently the fix is in the can, waiting to be scheduled. From Dr. Menke on Twitter
Thanks for the info! I will be watching this very closely..very closely! lol. This maybe H5s shining moment of the whole game if they get this fixed correctly. wishing them all the luck!
Zip.
ZaedynFel wrote:
no changes to ffa like removing the its harder for diamonds to get into onyx if you leginimately earned your way up, or removing losing csr if you finish top 3?
The FFA changes were part of the inflation fixes.

You will usually get CSR for 1-3, lose for 4-6.

It will also be much much harder than ever to get into Onyx. We had too many in Onyx because of the bug. It will reduce to around 4% total being able to get in, closer to the originally intention.
Not sure if anybody has asked this or it has happened to them. But I qualified in FFA and since qualifying have played 2 or 3 more games and came 2nd in them all but have not ranked up at all even though it indicates I have. Any idea why that would be?

Thanks.
ZaedynFel wrote:
no changes to ffa like removing the its harder for diamonds to get into onyx if you leginimately earned your way up, or removing losing csr if you finish top 3?
The FFA changes were part of the inflation fixes.

You will usually get CSR for 1-3, lose for 4-6.

It will also be much much harder than ever to get into Onyx. We had too many in Onyx because of the bug. It will reduce to around 4% total being able to get in, closer to the originally intention.
Not sure if anybody has asked this or it has happened to them. But I qualified in FFA and since qualifying have played 2 or 3 more games and came 2nd in them all but have not ranked up at all even though it indicates I have. Any idea why that would be?

Thanks.
That's probably because you only got a little bit of CSR (5 or 6 maybe) which isn't a noticeable gain on the bar.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. ...
  7. 8