OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Heavy Aim Update

Barring any unexpected complications, we are planning to release the fix we’ve discussed recently that addresses one form of “heavy aim” tomorrow (5/31).

EDIT: Since this will get asked a lot. We have a fix for one issue that can definitely make aiming feel bad when it happens. We haven't found any other issues at this time that can cause "heavy aim," but we don't want to claim all "heavy aiming" issues are totally gone forever. We're going to be keeping an eye on how much the issue resolves itself in the wild first.

Party Restrictions Update
I have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that although the update that gives us the ideal party solution is moving along steadily, it will still take quite some time to finish.

The good news is, we’re putting in a temporary stopgap to tide us over until the more intelligent solution is ready. It’s still another month or so off, so don’t @ me about it yet. But it’s coming.

This stopgap is like the classic solution. We will try to match full parties only against other full parties. It's a bit inefficient in that there are plenty of full parties that are terrible and don't need to match against other parties, and those parties will now wait a little longer and get slightly worse matches. But it should be helpful to non-full parties while we finish the ideal solution.

Does blocking players prevent me from matchmaking with them?

Some of you playing Warzone Warlords this weekend got the impression that players were blocking you so they didn’t have to matchmake against a hard team. I was pretty sure we weren’t doing anything with those blocks in matchmaking because I have ample evidence that blocked players DO match each other.

I was wrong, and I was also right. I had to do some digging, but it turns out there’s a switch that enables / disables honoring blocking in matchmaking per playlist. This switch is not explicitly a “blocking” feature, but is tied to a different set of usually unrelated options. This made it a bit tricky to track down.

It turns out that for Warlords, the switch was indeed set to not matchmake players with those they have blocked.

In Ranked playlists, though, this feature is not enabled, and blocking has zero effect on matchmaking in Ranked.

I don’t like this feature because it allows dodging, and usually just makes matchmaking worse, especially in more niche playlists.

Since it’s a switch we should be able to turn on and off, I am going to look into making sure it is off at least for playlists like Warlords.

In theory, it’s not terrible for healthy social playlists, but shouldn’t be used for Ranked or more Competitive lists like Warlords.

Thanks for the feedback.
SIIICK. I have been waiting for this. Are we going to get an in depth explanation of what was wrong with the aim and how it was fixed? I'm sure you don't want to get into "how the sausage is made" as much as just tell us how delicious it is, but i for one, would like to know.
Niiiiiiice!!
When you say "one form of heavy aim", are you implying there are multiple causes of heavy aim? If so, will those fixes be out soon after this patch?
thanks again for your transparency!!
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!
When you say "one form of heavy aim", are you implying there are multiple causes of heavy aim? If so, will those fixes be out soon after this patch?
I'm just being careful about saying, "we've totally fixed heavy aim"

We've fixed something that definitely causes aim to feel heavy.

We'll wait and see if there are others.

Also, there are bound to be some things that can affect aiming that are out of our hands (ISP, etc.).
RIP warzone blocklords 2017
you won't be missed
One form of heavy aim? So other forms will still exist?
One form of heavy aim? So other forms will still exist?
This is going to sound snarky but I don't mean it to.

Read the thread before posting next time:

ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Also, there are bound to be some things that can affect aiming that are out of our hands (ISP, etc.).
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

My ISP can affect the aiming?

Huh?
I am soooooo pumped for this
Can yall fix the freezes in random games? I lost a nornfang once bc my game froze :( I hope yall fixed a major component of heavy aminb tho :)
Is that blocking feature on in social playlists or is it off?
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
Sure, awful latency or jitter can make it pretty hard to aim, and we can't do anything about that on our end.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Is that blocking feature on in social playlists or is it off?
It is on in most of them, yes. If it gets to be a problem, I will turn it off.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
Sure, awful latency or jitter can make it pretty hard to aim, and we can't do anything about that on our end.
I assume you're talking about players just skipping around, though? Not my internet connection actually changing how my reticle functions?
ZaedynFel wrote:
Thank you for addressing the blocking question. My preference would be to keep it on for WZ, and WZF. You can disable it for Warlords.
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
Important nuance here. In this context, does "aim" mean reticle movement or shot registration? Because Halo 5 is the first FPS I ever experience to affect reticle movement itself based on lag.

Predicting someone when there's a lot of lag is harder, and that's fine, but aiming mechanics should 100% be the same across all matches.
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
I assume you're talking about players just skipping around, though? Not my internet connection actually changing how my reticle functions?
Yes, which, unfortunately, some people conflate with heavy aim.
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
Thanks for the reply!!
your team's work is MUCH appreciated, as I know many of us LOVE this game. I've been pretty harsh on the aiming since launch (on this forum in particular), so it's great to hear these "fix" attempts being put into place. I know you want to "thread lightly" as some people will take your words as "Gospel" (not to get religious), so let me know if this is too "tricky" to answer... Will there be any change to the actual "Aiming system" upcoming? As in... can we possibly get a "0" aim acceleration option soon? i know many people don't like the "two zone" aiming system and I just want to ask the question.

Thank you again!!
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
RhysWX wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
x Spades x wrote:
Niiiiiiice!!

Huh?
Yes, which, unfortunately, some people conflate with heavy aim.
Gotcha - just wanted to clarify.

Thank you!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6