5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
This in my opinion broke the social playlist... Now I'm matching people with higher MMR and getting absolutely stomped... In a social playlist, it supossed that those gamemodes are separated to have fun and chill out for a while... Not to get stressed and try hard on something everyone enjoyed
If you were a good player, you will lose more now, yes, but only because you are going from winning 60% down to 50%.

Meanwhile, the bottom players are going from 30% up to 50%.

We can't give you fun and chill games without giving someone else tryhard games or games they just get stomped in.

In order to be fair to the bottom, we have to be fair to the top.
Then you'll have to clarafy me this...
In my stats it marks more than 40 days of playtime those were I wasn't an employed which means I played around 5-8 hours straight
But now I'm lucky if I play 2 to 3 hours (Or not, cause you know, life itself, lul)
This type of games are all about practice... And its what I wanted to bring up in my previous post:
My habillities aren't the same as before I got my job, my brain could need again those 40 days of playtime to recover, but for now the system thinks that I will perform as maybe 10 months ago, but no, everytime I jump into matchmaking it feels new to me, and the other thing is, I'm not planning in recover my skill, that's why I loved just when I got to a match where literally I just ran around the map doing nonsenses.
It's not a rant or a complain, cause yeah, you could say "Git gud again, we can't stop updates for you"... But maybe you should expand the field for those players who haven't touched the game in months and now that they're coming back the game has to make sure to tell them that has open arms for a good hug.
And no, using my second account it's not going to help my problem, there's a reason why I like to use my main account with my GT, lul

Hope this makes sense, and if its something that actually is a thing, please let me know.
How long ago was this change in your play time? If it was recent, it's been captured.
ZaedynFel wrote:
I just want to know what the system says exactly for this. I'm finding it extremely unlikely that it thinks we should've won as much as it thinks. This just further annoys me about ranked matchmaking. If you place high, there's no point in playing after the fact.
Link to Game
It thought you would win that match. Looks like a classic case of over / under performance on their / your team.

And this is also SWAT where the high randomness makes the skill gaps less meaningful.
My question in a previous thread was either overlooked or ignored, but I'm wondering, since Halo 6 will more than likely utilize this system, are we going to see a consistent system across all playlists, or will playlists with less meaningful skill gaps (SWAT) end up with a bit of a different system to account for that? I couldn't see utilizing the same CSR gains/losses applying identically to all playlists if some have smaller skill gaps than others and different ranks could match each other in only certain playlists. Somewhat how SWAT/Breakout Champs could play against Plats but that would almost never happen in a playlist like Slayer or HaloWC
ZaedynFel wrote:
I just want to know what the system says exactly for this. I'm finding it extremely unlikely that it thinks we should've won as much as it thinks. This just further annoys me about ranked matchmaking. If you place high, there's no point in playing after the fact.
Link to Game
It thought you would win that match. Looks like a classic case of over / under performance on their / your team.

And this is also SWAT where the high randomness makes the skill gaps less meaningful.
My question in a previous thread was either overlooked or ignored, but I'm wondering, since Halo 6 will more than likely utilize this system, are we going to see a consistent system across all playlists, or will playlists with less meaningful skill gaps (SWAT) end up with a bit of a different system to account for that? I couldn't see utilizing the same CSR gains/losses applying identically to all playlists if some have smaller skill gaps than others and different ranks could match each other in only certain playlists. Somewhat how SWAT/Breakout Champs could play against Plats but that would almost never happen in a playlist like Slayer or HaloWC
We probably won't do anything special for those cases. And it's not just the top to bottom skill that causes this. You can have exactly the same skilled players in a SWAT match (happens in Super Fiesta too) and get wildly different spreads.
ZaedynFel wrote:
You can have exactly the same skilled players in a SWAT match (happens in Super Fiesta too) and get wildly different spreads.
Speaking of Super Fiesta, can you confirm if the weapons we spawn with are 100% RNG or are there factors which can determine if we get a certain rarity (uncommon - legendary) of weapons throughout the match like our win/loss record in that playlist for example? So if I'm on a losing streak, the game will factor that in during the match where my team is more favored to win and my team will get better weapons throughout the game compared to the other team.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Why do I repeatedly get stomped in warzone? Idk how to really run stats, but I know I'm decent if not average. Then why do I constantly get placed with people who'll end a match with 4-10 kills? Out of my last 20 games I've only won 6. Constantly and I mean constantly I find myself getting stomped; not just beaten but utterly dominated. Day in and day out whenever I play warzone with my friend( who is total garbage) or alone, we/I get annihilated. Why? If I could pull up all the numbers it would make absolutely no sense why I'm being paired up with less than average or dare I say it- pathetically bad teammates. I played 3 games where once they captured the first point it was just spawn kill after spawn kill. The other team was on req 7 before I was even at 4 and I was the 3rd from top player on my team! Someone help me understand this, because after they ruined breakout for me( which I'm slightly above average at) there's nothing now I have interest in.
You are winning more than expected (40% vs. 20%) in Warzone. Killing about as expected (20 vs. 18). You are maybe top 7% in skill compared to the average over all time (not compared to just recent players).

Why are you getting matches predicted at 80/20? Looks like because of quits. The Matchmaker aims for 60/40, but 1/3 of the players per match are quitting out, at which point there's nothing the MM can do.
I'm not trying to be like rude of -Yoink-, I just want to better understand why we're constantly being stomped. If it's expecting us to only win 20% shouldn't that help balance it out? You're saying I'm maybe the top 7% in warzone and that's why it isn't balanced? Or is it because we win and that's what screws us down the road? Because the people who are quitting are usually no help from the start. I don't understand, so the system is consistently stacking the other team to lower our win rates? 40% isn't even that good of chances. How is there nothing MM can do? Once people quit others can join right, or does it not factor in joining players stats in comparison to the current game score? Thank you for your previous response, I truly appreciate it.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Hi I like the new ranking system, I feel like my matches are more competitive. I play ranked Slayer and Free for all. Also I feel like I am not playing with players that are way worse than me as much, which I like. I don't like having the one bad player who brings the team's chances of winning way down. I am not really a good player- no Onyx issues for me !:)

But I did want to ask if there is some inflation going on- in the old ranking system my rank would hover around high Silver. Now I am Plat 3-4. And am holding my own against Plat players since I was placed. Was my ranking last season of Silver incorrect? or am I getting better? Or is everyone just ranking out a bit higher under TS2 because of across the board inflation? Are the rankings diluted this season?

Also btw I love doubles but there are more quitters in doubles and that kills your chances for a win when your teammate quits. maybe you can focus more on quitters in doubles

Thanks
I explain this in the original post.
ok please let me break it down to one question, that is not answered. So far, with TS2, how does the population of rankings in Slayer look as a whole? As a % are there more Diamond and Onyx ranks now than the old system? Are there more or less Silver and Bronze players than the old system? or if it is too early to make an accurate comparison, do you have a reliable (even if approximate) projection on the expected distribution? thx
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
This in my opinion broke the social playlist... Now I'm matching people with higher MMR and getting absolutely stomped... In a social playlist, it supossed that those gamemodes are separated to have fun and chill out for a while... Not to get stressed and try hard on something everyone enjoyed
If you were a good player, you will lose more now, yes, but only because you are going from winning 60% down to 50%.

We can't give you fun and chill games without giving someone else tryhard games or games they just get stomped in.

In my stats it marks more than 40 days of playtime those were I wasn't an employed which means I played around 5-8 hours straight
But now I'm lucky if I play 2 to 3 hours (Or not, cause you know, life itself, lul)
This type of games are all about practice... And its what I wanted to bring up in my previous post:
My habillities aren't the same as before I got my job, my brain could need again those 40 days of playtime to recover, but for now the system thinks that I will perform as maybe 10 months ago, but no, everytime I jump into matchmaking it feels new to me, and the other thing is, I'm not planning in recover my skill, that's why I loved just when I got to a match where literally I just ran around the map doing nonsenses.
It's not a rant or a complain, cause yeah, you could say "Git gud again, we can't stop updates for you"... But maybe you should expand the field for those players who haven't touched the game in months and now that they're coming back the game has to make sure to tell them that has open arms for a good hug.
And no, using my second account it's not going to help my problem, there's a reason why I like to use my main account with my GT, lul

Hope this makes sense, and if its something that actually is a thing, please let me know.
How long ago was this change in your play time? If it was recent, it's been captured.
July of 2017...
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:

July of 2017...
Bro. C'mon lol. You need to have recently played for any of this or your experiences to be relevant.

ETA - Disregard, I read wrong between meetings and thought the post wasn't going through anyways. Whoops. :P
ZaedynFel wrote:
Anyways, you're misreading the paper. Focusing on the subpopulation precision results won't get you anywhere near the actual accuracy improvement.
To be fair, I'm inferring because there isn't data detailing the accuracy. I may have missed it, but there is one paragraph with limited detail:
"After tuning model parameters on the training data, classic TrueSkill achieved a predictive accuracy of 52% on the test set. TrueSkill2 achieved a predictive accuracy of 68% on the test set. The next sections explain how this was accomplished."Those next sections detail that deltas in expected outcomes TS1vsTS2 are substantially greater for BTB/Warzone type games (large party size, high kill rates). It's not an unreasonable assumption, looking outside of the black box, that much of the global predictive accuracy gains comes from those same gametypes if TS1 was so far off the expected win rates in those subpops.

I get precision vs accuracy. The data that is available to us (ie, not 343 people) suggests that 16% increase in accuracy over the ENTIRE data set could be smaller for Arena games. Could very possibly miss the mark over 10 placement games. And yeah, it's easy to pick on Twitter rando-rager that thinks we need to go back to the "old/different" 1-50- but there are examples of head-scratcher rank placements.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Yes, we do not tune the system to handle the whims of a handful of top pros returning from sweating their lives out for Worlds, and it would never make sense to tune for them for at the very least these two reasons, a) they are a tiny handful that has no impact on the overall system performance and b) we already know they're the best players, we don't need the ranking system to prove it. If Mikwen wants to spartan charge his buddies for kicks instead of getting more kills, great! But that's not worth modeling because of it's pretty much zero impact on everything else, and it's also not the common story among everyone else.
This is a good representation of my issue. For starters, despite Mikwen's line about just goofying around, the game lasted only 3:23. Mikwen took a rating hit because they took mercy and let the Strongholds points rack up rather than chase/hunt.

But more importantly, this is not exclusive to a handful of top pros. It's not an uncommon game for players of my skill level- happened twice in my placement matches. The Team Slayer leaderboards have a multitude of CSR grinders (that didn't place Champ) with 90%+ win rates. Squads experience these quit-outs at a non-negligible rate. And if we are saying those grinders with absurd win rates aren't really deserving and instead have an inflated CSR, eyebrows are going to get raised (side note: why are we even grinding then?).

I will use a pro as an example, purely for recognition and reputation. Commonly Flys has a couple games like Mikwen and places Diamond 1 despite all of the training data. If global statements like TS2 can figure out your skill in less than 10 games, it's never wrong, etc., are made and there are obvious counter-examples that could happen and do happen to players not named Mikwen or Commonly, it causes confusion. It's completely plausible that an "onyx level player" has 3 placement games like this, with quit-outs, and the rank doesn't recover.

To be clear- I don't think we are being lied to here and I am constantly rewriting everything with marginal success to try to avoid sounding combative. I get the precision/accuracy reporting. I'm not claiming TS2 is fake news. I truly believe it is a more accurate system as a whole, and I think that's awesome.
ZaedynFel wrote:
You are near the skill cap, so you can end up matching parties above the skill cap.

That said, when I look back on your last 57 matches, you only match a full party 8 times. You also lose all 8 times, though you kill as expected.

You play with a party of 3 in the match 12 times, sometimes on your own team. You have won 75% of those.

You are 45% solo against parties of 2.

You are 75% when there are only solo players in matches.

You are overall 53% over your last 57 games, and very few of those were against to4.
Let's see what we got here.

Are these 57 games taken from Tommi theKrogan only, or also combined with games from Tommi theLeader? I'd guess it's from my main account only. So, first of all, thanks for sharing that info with me. It's always super interesting to see this data. My first question is; I know you have your data. But this data is an average from Bronze players to Champions, and as we all know, majority of the players are on Gold or Platinum ranks (all previous seasons). Now it might be more like Platinum overall, am I right? But regardless of where the majority is, it is known that Onyxes and Champions are a very small portion of all players. Especially in HCS, since a Diamond player in HCS could be a Champion in any of the other ranked playlists. So, your overall data won't tell accurately how often a team of four wins against randoms in HCS when regarding high level play, let's say Onyx-Champion. But I suppose you could pull that sort of data out if you wanted. The thing is: you said it yourself, I played 8 times against a full team in HCS while I was soloing, and I lost 8 times. What does this tell us? It tells the same story that I kind of just wrote. It appears that TS2 doesn't know how to properly evaluate the skill level of a high skilled HCS team of four. If you want to prove me wrong, go on and check it out. When a team of four HCS players form, where everyone is high Onyx / Champion level player, how high of a win percentage do these teams have over randoms? I'd guess it's near 75-85 % at least. So this is a problem. You can hide these high skilled matches and their results under the averages, but that doesn't mean that TS2 or matchmaker works properly in this regard.

Honestly though, I am quite surprised by that amount, 8 full parties against me in 57 games? I thought it would be way more than 7 %. If you ever do feel like it, I would like to hear this same percentile for my smurf account, Tommi theLeader (HCS). Like I said, with that account the matches feel even more bizarre and unfair.

"You play with a party of 3 in the match 12 times, sometimes on your own team.". It is a shame that you wrote it like that, I would've liked to know how many times this party of 3 was put against me. (8 out of 12 at least I'd guess, since I know for sure that I play against bigger parties often, if not teams of 4 then 3). But I did win 75 % of them like you said, so I suppose that TS2 works just fine with this sort of matching and estimation of skill, at least when compared to full teams, which I had 0 % wins against.

So.. by estimation which might be a bit off, I'm playing against a party of 3 or 4 when I'm soloing myself about 30 % of my games in HCS. Is this percentile (let's say for solo Onyx HCS player like me) higher this season with TS2 than it was in previous seasons with TS1? Or the other way around? I'm very curious about this. Are high level players actually playing against parties more or less now with the introduction of TS2? It was said that the lives of high skilled solo players in Halo would become significantly more comfortable, but I haven't felt it yet at all.

Now I'm just repeating my self.. But like I have said, I don't mind playing against parties if the teams are even. When I'm playing against a party of 3, there's nothing I can complain about now that you've showed me those numbers. But looking at the past 57 games, losing all of my games against teams of four in HCS makes me say that I do mind playing against full parties if it is done like this.

"You are 45% solo against parties of 2.". These numbers look good, nothing for me to wonder about here.
"You are 75% when there are only solo players in matches.". Same here.

"You are overall 53% over your last 57 games, and very few of those were against to4.". Yes, 7 % isn't that much, I agree. However, if I were to add my games against a party of 3 to this percentile, like I said, it would be close to 30. So you wrote what you wrote, but if you were to say the same thing about me playing against a team of 3 or 4, you wouldn't be using the word few. Is this a problem? If I win 50 % of these games, probably not.

But I don't want to make a bull out of a fly here. I do hope you got my message that the high skilled matches happening in HCS against full parties are not going so evenly. I'm sure you knew this, and if you didn't, you probably did the moment you saw my 0-8 against them. It would be interesting to know why TS2 appears to be able to match a team of three against four randoms evenly, but it cannot do the same with a team of four. It's not that big of a difference. It would be likely that it is harder to find proper opponents for a team of four, versus finding opponents for a team of three, when you can just stick one really bad player with the team and then find four randoms to match that. So it might be that it isn't the fault of TS2, rather we are to blame the matchmaker and the population of HCS.
The post above. It's me alright, with my secondary account. ZaedynFel, you can check and post my data here if that is what you want. I did ask for it so I leave it with your judgement.
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:

July of 2017...
Bro. C'mon lol. You need to have recently played for any of this or your experiences to be relevant.
He wanted to know about the change in playtime, not the recent matchmaking feel, lul
Since the first of May I sorta felt the difference in the social playlist, by that date all my data went bananas.
Vluniverse wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:

July of 2017...
He wanted to know about the change in playtime, not the recent matchmaking feel, lul
Since the first of May I sorta felt the difference in the social playlist, by that date all my data went bananas.
So I actually figured that out as I was posting and my browser was hanging so I was like, "oh nbd I'll just close this out and no one will know!"

Oops. Mea culpa lol.

Sorry about that. <3
Vluniverse wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:

July of 2017...
So I actually figured that out as I was posting and my browser was hanging so I was like, "oh nbd I'll just close this out and no one will know!"

Oops. Mea culpa lol.

Sorry about that. <3
Don't worry, everything's chill <3
Hey- Dr.Menke-

Just wanted to clear up three questions I have. Easy ones:

1.) So my apart from the 10 placement matches- does this new system also take into account your rank from the last season?
I'm a little confused here because I know you mentioned pre-season- but I am not sure what you mean by that?

2.) What does this new system take more into consideration: your Win Percentage or your K/D?
Is there a certain percentage here?
50/50?
Also- is there anything else being considered- if so- what?

3.) Just making sure I'm getting this right: If I solo queue- I should be expecting a lower rank? Even if I win the same amount of games and get the same amount of kills and deaths?
I dont feel like trueskill 2 does a good job at balancing matches, I've played a handful of team arena matches and have about a 33% win percentage, idk I just dont have anymore confidence in my skill with this system
LUKEPOWA wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
You can have exactly the same skilled players in a SWAT match (happens in Super Fiesta too) and get wildly different spreads.
Speaking of Super Fiesta, can you confirm if the weapons we spawn with are 100% RNG or are there factors which can determine if we get a certain rarity (uncommon - legendary) of weapons throughout the match like our win/loss record in that playlist for example? So if I'm on a losing streak, the game will factor that in during the match where my team is more favored to win and my team will get better weapons throughout the game compared to the other team.
I've wondered this too. I don't think it's truly 100% RNG or that it takes into account losing streaks like Mario Kart where the person in last gets the best weapons. I think every weapon has a different weight so you are more likely to get weaker ones than stronger variants (magnum/BR vs. Nornfang or Prophets Bane).
ZaedynFel wrote:
Why do I repeatedly get stomped in warzone? Idk how to really run stats, but I know I'm decent if not average. Then why do I constantly get placed with people who'll end a match with 4-10 kills? Out of my last 20 games I've only won 6. Constantly and I mean constantly I find myself getting stomped; not just beaten but utterly dominated. Day in and day out whenever I play warzone with my friend( who is total garbage) or alone, we/I get annihilated. Why? If I could pull up all the numbers it would make absolutely no sense why I'm being paired up with less than average or dare I say it- pathetically bad teammates. I played 3 games where once they captured the first point it was just spawn kill after spawn kill. The other team was on req 7 before I was even at 4 and I was the 3rd from top player on my team! Someone help me understand this, because after they ruined breakout for me( which I'm slightly above average at) there's nothing now I have interest in.
You are winning more than expected (40% vs. 20%) in Warzone. Killing about as expected (20 vs. 18). You are maybe top 7% in skill compared to the average over all time (not compared to just recent players).

Why are you getting matches predicted at 80/20? Looks like because of quits. The Matchmaker aims for 60/40, but 1/3 of the players per match are quitting out, at which point there's nothing the MM can do.
I'm not trying to be like rude of -Yoink-, I just want to better understand why we're constantly being stomped. If it's expecting us to only win 20% shouldn't that help balance it out? You're saying I'm maybe the top 7% in warzone and that's why it isn't balanced? Or is it because we win and that's what screws us down the road? Because the people who are quitting are usually no help from the start. I don't understand, so the system is consistently stacking the other team to lower our win rates? 40% isn't even that good of chances. How is there nothing MM can do? Once people quit others can join right, or does it not factor in joining players stats in comparison to the current game score? Thank you for your previous response, I truly appreciate it.
Even with the joiners, quitting tends to have long term repercussions rarely (though sometimes) improved by joiners.

The matches are all starting pretty near even, but you are drawing the short end of the stick in some of your matches, which is normal over short stretches of matches.
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
Vluniverse wrote:

July of 2017...
OK, then it's been captured by now as well.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Hi I like the new ranking system, I feel like my matches are more competitive. I play ranked Slayer and Free for all. Also I feel like I am not playing with players that are way worse than me as much, which I like. I don't like having the one bad player who brings the team's chances of winning way down. I am not really a good player- no Onyx issues for me !:)

But I did want to ask if there is some inflation going on- in the old ranking system my rank would hover around high Silver. Now I am Plat 3-4. And am holding my own against Plat players since I was placed. Was my ranking last season of Silver incorrect? or am I getting better? Or is everyone just ranking out a bit higher under TS2 because of across the board inflation? Are the rankings diluted this season?

Also btw I love doubles but there are more quitters in doubles and that kills your chances for a win when your teammate quits. maybe you can focus more on quitters in doubles

Thanks
I explain this in the original post.
ok please let me break it down to one question, that is not answered. So far, with TS2, how does the population of rankings in Slayer look as a whole? As a % are there more Diamond and Onyx ranks now than the old system? Are there more or less Silver and Bronze players than the old system? or if it is too early to make an accurate comparison, do you have a reliable (even if approximate) projection on the expected distribution? thx
Depends on if you're asking about CSR vs. MMR. MMR is currently super strict, and that makes placement super strict.

CSR is a little more lenient, which means you see more shifting positive. I need to dig into why.

CSR has Slayer like this (percentiles counting down from Onyx):
9 36 43 10 1 0

MMR has Slayer like this:
4 28 46 18 4 0

So MMR is still skewed positive since overall pop has improved at Slayer over time, but CSR is definitely a bit nicer right now. Mostly to Diamond and Onyx.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 13