OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
What’s the status on Heavy Aim?

We see a lot of questions about "Heavy Aim", so I thought I’d clear a few things up with my limited understanding of the issue. I don’t work directly with the folks who are actively working on the fix, so I’m not going to go super into detail.

There are a lot of issues that go into how aiming feels. You may recall the fix we discussed in the Monitor’s Bounty patch notes as well. This upcoming fix is separate from that, though related. It addresses one possible issue that can affect players some of the time.

What is being fixed?
  • We identified one possible issue that may be causing aiming to feel sluggish.
  • It’s a state that players can get into
  • It’s a temporary state
Is it fixed yet?
  • We’re making great progress on getting the fix out, but it’s not done yet
  • No word on when it’ll be ready
  • We won’t release it till it meets our quality bar
  • It's not "there" yet
But you said you have a “proven” fix?
  • We found one definite issue
  • We made a code change
  • We are testing internally and so far it is stopping that particular issue in all of our tests
  • The testing isn’t done
  • So the fix isn’t done yet
  • So we have a fix, but it’s not ready.
  • It hasn't yet met the quality bar we need in testing.
  • But it's well on its way, and we'll get it out as soon as we can.
  • This is just my POV as someone not directly involved in the process
Will aiming feel fundamentally different after the fix?
  • Probably not. You'll just not have this particular aiming issue affect you anymore
  • It’s not an aiming change, it’s just a fix to prevent a state that you may currently get into.
So, again, we’re not making changes to how aiming works in Halo 5, we’re just fixing one possible issue so players don’t get into a state that feels bad.

Will the fix be at HCS Daytona this weekend?
  • Like I said it's not ready yet, so that would be a stretch
  • We are working hard to make it happen if we can
  • Stay tuned for more info on this from the HCS folks

Party Restrictions
I still see a lot of questions about this, so I’ll review because it’s an important topic both to me as well as you.

As I’ve said in the past, our focus for party matchmaking is integrating a new model we’ve tested that does a great job at predicting whether a party will win a match. Since we can predict who will win in a party, we can make sure to match parties against teams that are just as good as them.

Not all parties are equal. Some play worse as a party, some play better. We think we can determine that and matchmake efficiently and appropriately.

For a quick review (see my past posts for more info) it works by modifying the skill that we send to the matchmaker to find your party a match. If you are good at playing in parties, and in a good party, it will find a harder match. That may mean another party, or it may mean four solo players who are much better than you individually, but equal to you when in a party. If you are one of the top players in the game, then it won’t be able to find four solo players good enough, and you will always play vs. a party if there’s one available. But if you are a Gold party, we can probably find a Platinum or Diamond group of solo players that will be the correct challenge.

You may wonder why we are releasing these other fixes and haven’t released this one yet. Rest assured we have not stopped or slowed on working on the party matchmaking in order to work on these other features. They are being worked on by different people. Most of the recent stuff has just been me alone, whereas a feature as complex as party-skill modeling is being done by “proper” engineers.

We are working hard to get this in the game, but being a very powerful model, it’s also a complex one. It’ll take a good while to integrate. I don’t have any updates on this, and I think it’ll be awhile yet before I do.

But this is one of the issues that is at the forefront of my mind, I haven’t forgotten about it.
EU player here. If I'm searching on expanded and match up with Americans, does the matchmaking consider I have a latency disadvantage?

And is a custom mixbag playlist, following the example of Titanfall 2 or Rocket League, something you think about for Halo 5 or later releases?

I like how transparent you talk lately about everything you do. Keep up the good work!
Can't wait for these two things. Keep up the awesome work!
Can't wait for the heavy aim fix. I just want things to feel consistent again.
Thanks for the transparency and info as always!
great post thanks for the info and update.
Thank you for the great post yet again.
Awesome. Thank you!
Extremely satisfied with your communication in regards to heavy aim mate. Here's hoping the testing finishes before Daytona!
EU player here. If I'm searching on expanded and match up with Americans, does the matchmaking consider I have a latency disadvantage?

And is a custom mixbag playlist, following the example of Titanfall 2 or Rocket League, something you think about for Halo 5 or later releases?

I like how transparent you talk lately about everything you do. Keep up the good work!
We don't do anything in the skill system to account for the latency disadvantage, no. Which means, depending on how often you play on EU vs. US servers, your skill might be slightly over / under-estimated.
When are we actually going to be able to talk to party members in lobbies and in between games? Why do I have to use party chat?
I am glad that you are trying to fix "heavy aim", but i think that it is necessary that aiming system in general must be improved. It is not possible that aim response changes from match to match, one time is super fast, and the next game is super slow, or the aim assist sometimes works and other times not.
I feel that in halo 5 aim is too much tied to game latency and other players latency, when instead there wasn't all this issue with aim in the beta version.
Is it possible to add the beta aiming style (or somethig similar) to the aiming options ? After the "heavy aim fix" are you planning any other fix to aiming?
You the MVP! Hope we see such transparency by other 343 members in the future. :)
Josh, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the fixes. After playing for a week the soft forfeit option is a GREAT feature, so thanks again for that.

Does matchmaking in any way at this point try to match teams with teams or is it completely random?

Also, for the rest of you asking about aiming, Josh has been very kind to indulge our questions but that is a GAME MECHANIC ISSUE, and not really related to MATCHMAKING at all, so this isn't really the place to spam questions like that.
Question - would the party matchmaking talked about be effective enough to allow the party restrictions for Warzone to be removed?
Thanks for the update I really hope it releases within the month. Now I wanted to make a suggestion to give players the option to change the aiming mechanics. Option one the current and option two the beta style aiming. Overeatch allows you to switch between two and I thought this was an interesting feature.
Collet005 wrote:
Is it possible to add the beta aiming style (or somethig similar) to the aiming options ? After the "heavy aim fix" are you planning any other fix to aiming?
Gonagon wrote:
Now I wanted to make a suggestion to give players the option to change the aiming mechanics. Option one the current and option two the beta style aiming.
Like was mentioned, I'm not actually involved in any of that, though I have full confidence in the people who are. But I can't speak to it.

I brought up this particular issue because I already knew a little about what was going on and could clear things up a little, but I'm not involved with the folks that actively work on that stuff, so I can't say anymore than what's already been decided and planned and it ready for the public.
Question - would the party matchmaking talked about be effective enough to allow the party restrictions for Warzone to be removed?
This is sort of a loaded question, to be honest.

If you're asking if I believe the system would be smart enough to keep large parties from destroying smaller ones? Yes, I think it could do that.

But to replace what we currently do, we would have to add a hard skill gap requirement to Warzone, which we never have before. Meaning, if there isn't someone online who is close enough to you in skill, you just don't play. At all.

That doesn't sound like a great experience for a 12-man party.

So the other question to answer, after whether or not the skill system can matchmake right, is whether or not having planned "Warlords" events results in 12-player parties actually getting to play MORE often than if it was on all the time.

When we have a planned event, those larger groups know to when to come and focus their time.

If we don't have a planned event, looking at past data from when we did allow 12-player parties, there just won't be enough of them online to play anyways. So it would potentially be even worse.
ZaedynFel wrote:
This is sort of a loaded question, to be honest.

If you're asking if I believe the system would be smart enough to keep large parties from destroying smaller ones? Yes, I think it could do that.

But to replace what we currently do, we would have to add a hard skill gap requirement to Warzone, which we never have before. Meaning, if there isn't someone online who is close enough to you in skill, you just don't play. At all.

That doesn't sound like a great experience for a 12-man party.

So the other question to answer, after whether or not the skill system can matchmake right, is whether or not having planned "Warlords" events results in 12-player parties actually getting to play MORE often than if it was on all the time.

When we have a planned event, those larger groups know to when to come and focus their time.

If we don't have a planned event, looking at past data from when we did allow 12-player parties, there just won't be enough of them online to play anyways. So it would potentially be even worse.
That makes sense. I was just curious.

I really enjoy the 12man Warlords events. I also solo queue a lot. I actually wouldn't mind solo queuing into a warlords playlist to end up being the 12th man for an 11 person fireteam. Maybe that could be something they'd consider testing? Allowing Fireteams of 10-12 with solo queue people filling in the gaps.

Sorry for the derail of the topic - just curious. Thanks for the reply.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5