2. ...
  3. 24
  4. 25
  5. 26
  6. ...
  7. 27
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Would you be willing to tell us the variables that Trueskill 2 uses to assess MMR and CSR? I am curious as to what parameters are used.
The white paper will give you the most in-depth description on how TS2 measures skill.

The super generalized version: TS2 looks makes a prediction of whether you'll win/lose, your kill rate, and your death rate. If TS2 predicts right, it means it has accurately placed you and adjustment to your MMR isn't needed. If TS2 predicts wrong, it will adjust your MMR accordingly. CSR then follows MMR closely; CSR will always go down on a loss and always go up on a win, but the amount CSR goes up/down is dependent on how close to your MMR your CSR is.

In designing TS2, additional variables were tested in the prediction model, but they either didn't make the prediction better or made the prediction worse. This is why TS2 doesn't look at things like medals, damage, accuracy, etc.
Thanks for posting the link to the white paper on TS2. I read it and it did confirm some of what I suspected about rankings for any mode having an influence on rankings for the others. Good to know. I am still looking for individual skill parameters. There must be more to how TS2 predicting beyond Kill and Death rates in relation to winning a match. I watched an Onyx/Champion player create a new profile and start from scratch. He played Free-For-All and only killed using Spartan Charge or Melee. He didn't win any of his matches, but by the third match he was playing other Champion level players. In theory, TS2 should believe it to be a new soul playing and using those parameters he should be playing low level players. However, TS2 has to also be factoring the method that players engage in the game. (i.e., the type of movements they use..are the advanced movements or basic, where on the map they move and when). I am assuming that better players maneuver around the map much differently that low level players. These are the types of data points I am looking for. What characteristics or data points does the system target as a "Champion Level" player vs an average "Gold Level" player. Also, I am incredibly curious about scenarios in Super Fiesta or Big Team Battle where an individual has a much higher number of kills vs his teammates or even those on the opposing team, and his team still loses. Does that individuals MMR still take a hit even though that person carried more weight that anyone else in the game? ZaedynFel
Based on numerous responses by Josh true skill 2 only takes into account KPM, DPM and whether you won or not. Movement is not a "stat" used to determine skill as far as we know. The streamer you watched is probably very good at the game. If they are already a champion level FFA player then even with only using Spartan abilities and melee they could most likely reach diamond level. Now because FFAs population is so low the matchmaking range is quite high and allows champions to quite easily match diamonds and platinums. Therefore it isn't a stretch that the streamer was matching champions even on his new account. You don't have to win to have your MMR go up/go down by very little. A decent portion of how much your MMR changes is based on how well you did in terms of KPM compared to what was expected of you before the game. For example if you had a KPM of 3 but the system expected you to only achieve a KPM of 1 that game your MMR is going to probably rise, even if you lose that game.
So in a nut shell, if I can get a high number of kills and low number of deaths in any FFA match, regardless of the win/loss I will be increasing my overall MMR. So does that mean, if I lose some matches on team play, but still do well by those metrics, when I do finally have a win my CSR will also rise significantly to catch up with my MMR?

BTW, I appreciate you responding. I am deathly curious about the algorithms and the methodology involved.
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Would you be willing to tell us the variables that Trueskill 2 uses to assess MMR and CSR? I am curious as to what parameters are used.
The white paper will give you the most in-depth description on how TS2 measures skill.

The super generalized version: TS2 looks makes a prediction of whether you'll win/lose, your kill rate, and your death rate. If TS2 predicts right, it means it has accurately placed you and adjustment to your MMR isn't needed. If TS2 predicts wrong, it will adjust your MMR accordingly. CSR then follows MMR closely; CSR will always go down on a loss and always go up on a win, but the amount CSR goes up/down is dependent on how close to your MMR your CSR is.

In designing TS2, additional variables were tested in the prediction model, but they either didn't make the prediction better or made the prediction worse. This is why TS2 doesn't look at things like medals, damage, accuracy, etc.
Thanks for posting the link to the white paper on TS2. I read it and it did confirm some of what I suspected about rankings for any mode having an influence on rankings for the others. Good to know. I am still looking for individual skill parameters. There must be more to how TS2 predicting beyond Kill and Death rates in relation to winning a match. I watched an Onyx/Champion player create a new profile and start from scratch. He played Free-For-All and only killed using Spartan Charge or Melee. He didn't win any of his matches, but by the third match he was playing other Champion level players. In theory, TS2 should believe it to be a new soul playing and using those parameters he should be playing low level players. However, TS2 has to also be factoring the method that players engage in the game. (i.e., the type of movements they use..are the advanced movements or basic, where on the map they move and when). I am assuming that better players maneuver around the map much differently that low level players. These are the types of data points I am looking for. What characteristics or data points does the system target as a "Champion Level" player vs an average "Gold Level" player. Also, I am incredibly curious about scenarios in Super Fiesta or Big Team Battle where an individual has a much higher number of kills vs his teammates or even those on the opposing team, and his team still loses. Does that individuals MMR still take a hit even though that person carried more weight that anyone else in the game? ZaedynFel
Based on numerous responses by Josh true skill 2 only takes into account KPM, DPM and whether you won or not. Movement is not a "stat" used to determine skill as far as we know. The streamer you watched is probably very good at the game. If they are already a champion level FFA player then even with only using Spartan abilities and melee they could most likely reach diamond level. Now because FFAs population is so low the matchmaking range is quite high and allows champions to quite easily match diamonds and platinums. Therefore it isn't a stretch that the streamer was matching champions even on his new account. You don't have to win to have your MMR go up/go down by very little. A decent portion of how much your MMR changes is based on how well you did in terms of KPM compared to what was expected of you before the game. For example if you had a KPM of 3 but the system expected you to only achieve a KPM of 1 that game your MMR is going to probably rise, even if you lose that game.
So in a nut shell, if I can get a high number of kills and low number of deaths in any FFA match, regardless of the win/loss I will be increasing my overall MMR. So does that mean, if I lose some matches on team play, but still do well by those metrics, when I do finally have a win my CSR will also rise significantly to catch up with my MMR?BTW, I appreciate you responding. I am deathly curious about the algorithms and the methodology involved.
Yes, you are correct. Also, if you win some matches, but fail to do well by those metrics, the opposite will happen when you finally have a loss
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

So in a nut shell, if I can get a high number of kills and low number of deaths in any FFA match, regardless of the win/loss I will be increasing my overall MMR. So does that mean, if I lose some matches on team play, but still do well by those metrics, when I do finally have a win my CSR will also rise significantly to catch up with my MMR?

BTW, I appreciate you responding. I am deathly curious about the algorithms and the methodology involved.
Yes and no. If you get more KPM and less DPM than the system expected of you for that particular match then your MMR can go up. On the other hand if you get a lower KPM and higher DPM than expected your MMR can go down.

However winning is also still extremely important and Josh has stated that most MMR gains come from winning. Especially winning matches where you were predicted to lose. But if you do perform exceptionally well and above what is expected of you in a team game and you lose your MMR can still go up.
@zaedynfel
Can I see my MMR for arena on this account?
I'd also like to see it for my account "U RAGE I QUIT" if possible
QX wrote:
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

Yes and no. If you get more KPM and less DPM than the system expected of you for that particular match then your MMR can go up. On the other hand if you get a lower KPM and higher DPM than expected your MMR can go down.

However winning is also still extremely important and Josh has stated that most MMR gains come from winning. Especially winning matches where you were predicted to lose. But if you do perform exceptionally well and above what is expected of you in a team game and you lose your MMR can still go up.
So I reread the white paper and it said there are over 200 data points the system looks at to determine ranking. Am I reading that wrong. KPM AND DPM just seem too limited for that type of evaluation.
QX wrote:
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

So I reread the white paper and it said there are over 200 data points the system looks at to determine ranking. Am I reading that wrong. KPM AND DPM just seem too limited for that type of evaluation.
I believe that they looked at over 200 possible data points for H5. And after they found out that using other data points besides winning and KPM lead to a loss in skill prediction or the same but an added workload.

You have to remember that they are mainly just looking at how well they can predict the winner of the match for H5 ranking. So with only looking at KPM and consequently DPM they found their prediction went up to around 68%. Now they have had a few batch runs to sure up some playlists that were worse. So I'm reality the game doesn't really know exactly how good you are by tracking hundreds of data points because that would be too much to tackle. Instead it just needs those few days points to predict whether you would win a match or now.

Edit: I haven't read the white paper but my answers are based on what has been said on these forums and on Twitter and when I've talking to Dr. Menke in person. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the white paper is for True Skill 2.0 as a whole which is a skill rating system and not necessarily H5 specifically.
QX wrote:
QX wrote:
QX wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

I believe that they looked at over 200 possible data points for H5. And after they found out that using other data points besides winning and KPM lead to a loss in skill prediction or the same but an added workload.

You have to remember that they are mainly just looking at how well they can predict the winner of the match for H5 ranking. So with only looking at KPM and consequently DPM they found their prediction went up to around 68%. Now they have had a few batch runs to sure up some playlists that were worse. So I'm reality the game doesn't really know exactly how good you are by tracking hundreds of data points because that would be too much to tackle. Instead it just needs those few days points to predict whether you would win a match or now.

Edit: I haven't read the white paper but my answers are based on what has been said on these forums and on Twitter and when I've talking to Dr. Menke in person. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the white paper is for True Skill 2.0 as a whole which is a skill rating system and not necessarily H5 specifically.
Yes that is correct. It is for TS2, and they do use it for other games like Gears of War.
68%, White paper, 60/40....interesting. Glad I came to catch up with your conversations. There are not many complaints anymore because the anti TS2 population is gone (from game and forum).They have let go like myself. Only followers remain. And I see any who question TS2 are shut down by the followers. H5 is the last halo game I will buy.
Two weeks ago - diamond in doubles and onyx in slayer and swat this season, first game in a week, i played with a teammate who is a platinum and we play a smurf at bronze boosting a legit champion.

Funny how that works huh
It seems people rather have inflated ranks and progression system vs an actual ranking system.

The system works, guys, it's been explained countless times. All of you got the rank you deserve. Heck I solo'd alot of my way to 2k mmr! I had plenty of losses and CSR loss that seemed unfair. But, I knew I'd still reach my goal. If you have hundreds and hundreds of games played, and are still not champ, chances are you are simply NOT a champion tier player.
TraadeMerK wrote:
It seems people rather have inflated ranks and progression system vs an actual ranking system.

The system works, guys, it's been explained countless times. All of you got the rank you deserve. Heck I solo'd alot of my way to 2k mmr! I had plenty of losses and CSR loss that seemed unfair. But, I knew I'd still reach my goal. If you have hundreds and hundreds of games played, and are still not champ, chances are you are simply NOT a champion tier player.
I don't think that is what people are complaining about. I would be happy if matches were actually balanced and timely. I am looking for ranking data points out of my own curiosity not a desire to be a champion level player.
Please decrease sandbox map variants. It seems whenever I play BTB, 70% of the maps I get in matchmaking are sandbox variants. I would love to play more Valhalla, Sandtrap, Last Resort, Avalanche, and Stand-off.
Please decrease sandbox map variants. It seems whenever I play BTB, 70% of the maps I get in matchmaking are sandbox variants. I would love to play more Valhalla, Sandtrap, Last Resort, Avalanche, and Stand-off.
This is for H5's matchmaking. You'd want MCC's feedback thread.
Mythic Shotty Snipes might just be my all-time favorite H5 playlist. Had a blast playing it while it was in the rotation. Feel free to rotate it in anytime.
Whats up guys
I would like to suggest the team 343i a game list of halo 2, maybe many say play tmcc but if 343 has given us return to halo 3 and halo ce why not halo 2 or only i would like play slayer whit br halo 2 in maps halo 2 example lockout or turf or a match snipers in burial mounds or terminal...
Others will say play in a custom game but how exciting to compete whit different people is great
It is a small request from one of many players
Boomy EU wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
we keep Elimination up because it’s the only way to finish the Breakout Commendations.
Please remove extermination it requires a completely different game style and therefore doesn't suit the playlist. It also can be very frustrating in a competitive game because of the spawns.
I'd say just make it it's own came type. But agree it's different skill set
tryan514 wrote:
Boomy EU wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
we keep Elimination up because it’s the only way to finish the Breakout Commendations.
Please remove extermination it requires a completely different game style and therefore doesn't suit the playlist. It also can be very frustrating in a competitive game because of the spawns.
I'd say just make it it's own came type. But agree it's different skill set
Elimination ranked should be breakout 1 & 2 only. Extermination should be social and rotational like it was originally.

Breakout feels more like a ranked game type and that way there is a social way to get breakout victory commendations. I specifically say breakout victory as the other 2 breakout commendations are very difficult in extermination.
Whats up guys
I would like to suggest the team 343i a game list of halo 2, maybe many say play tmcc but if 343 has given us return to halo 3 and halo ce why not halo 2 or only i would like play slayer whit br halo 2 in maps halo 2 example lockout or turf or a match snipers in burial mounds or terminal...
Others will say play in a custom game but how exciting to compete whit different people is great
There is a Halo 2 BR playlist in the rotationals.
Whats up guys
There is a Halo 2 BR playlist in the rotationals.
This is and you are reason but it is a gamelist in halo 5 maps and what i mention is a variant of halo 2 whit halo 2 maps as the halo 3 map is currently
ZaedynFel wrote:
Z1000B wrote:
ZaedynFel wrote:
NightClerk wrote:
ZaedynFelBeen having a lot of quitters/AFK in games recently. Played some Team Arena yesterday, these were my first five games.
  • Game 1: Starts 2v4 - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/f3b62936-fa22-42e0-959a-1f202b2d3f6c/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=14&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
  • Game 2: One teammate AFK from the start, another quits. Then we all quit - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/397787f2-eb98-4d82-9c0d-ef761a34eaba/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=13&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
  • Game 3: Success! Full teams for entirety of game. No AFKs. - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/1b99c0fe-aec4-465e-b9e3-835515fc9aa2/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=12&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
  • Game 4: Started with 1 or 2 AFK teammates who eventually quit. We all quit after they leave. - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/5e96d950-5af5-40c4-a693-f1dd4dd99822/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=11&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
  • Game 5: 2 teammates quit early. - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/8c23ea97-1541-44b7-898b-4a49c092c637/players/nightclerk?gameHistoryMatchIndex=10&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
Fortunately I believe the ranking system worked and my CSR loss was pretty minimal. I think the penalties for quitting and being AFK aren’t strong enough to discourage this behavior. I will say that the matches I get are generally very competitive and TS2 finds balanced games. I’m sure you understand the frustration of going into game after game only to have that time wasted with a quitter.

Has there been any talk of implementing some type of “trust score” that tracks how often people quit? With a score like that, quitters could be matched with other quitters. Rewarding “good” players and punishing quitters in one motion.

This isn’t a criticism of TS2 or the MM system, which seems to be working very well. Just frustrated with these experiences I'm sure you can relate to. Keep up the good work.
Unfortunately quitting isn't a small group of players that be isolated, it's most players.

Players quit when they are clearly overmatched. Either at the team or individual level, and it's a large portion of the population.
Does that not mean the matchmaking did/does not work properly ? It happens alot in WZ Arena and btb playlists often. Players either solo or small fireteams matched with very low ranked players against larger teams in wz or just just very good communicating players, it leaves you frustrated when looking at stats to see your 20 plus positive and lower down your team playing out a -20 , gut im sure you know this. Keep trying and iwill also try not to quit out of unbalanced matches.
Yes, this happens due to pop depending on the playlist. MM is tuned so if the pop is there at your skill level, you will have similar teammates against similar opponents, without large gaps in performance.

But in playlists like Warzone that require 24 players, the best players will almost never find all equal teammates because there are rarely 24 top players all searching at once solo.
Thanks for replying . Its not just the MM that leads me to quit games, its hit detection, bullets through walls, glitchy players, lag , when you get things like that happen its a case of walking away to save frustration. unfortunate unbalance in MM is what happens and i will be honest and say there are players especially when they arein the same team i wont play as i know whats going to happen. One more thing, Is there a point being put into a game on losing team triple capped ect, imean just close the game off so it can end quicker, it would save loss to new player and everyone can move on? Thanks again.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 24
  4. 25
  5. 26
  6. ...
  7. 27