OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
New Season, Harder Onyx

Many of you have noticed that Onyx is more difficult to get into this season than last. At the end of every season, we look at how many players are in each Rank and then shift the boundaries to try and hit a target percentile for each.

The goal for Onyx is roughly the top 2%. At the end of last season, however, many playlists had near 10% in Onyx, meaning many Onyx players were Diamond players in disguise. The change we made this season reduces that amount to be closer to our target.

The reason we have a target of 2% is to maintain and not dilute the skill perception of Onyx players. The same goes for every Rank, but I’m using Onyx as an example.

Also, remember that we start you 100 CSR back from your target after placement. This is roughly 6 games back. Players that place in, e.g. Diamond 4 may actually be Onyx players, but are close enough to the boundary that we put them in Diamond at first just in case.

For HCS players who like numbers, here are the actual boundary changes using MMR:

• Last Season Onyx boundary: 2.1 (43 in Halo 3, 11% of HCS last season)
  • New Season Onyx Boundary: 3.4 (54 in Halo 3, 1% of HCS last season)
For those who grew up on 1-50 and want to know the conversions this season for HCS:

• 2.5% of players have 50 or higher
  • 2.5% is within the target for Diamond level (anything above 2% is Diamond) and not Onyx
  • 50 is now mapped to 1400 or Diamond 4 because it’s too many people
  • The new Onyx boundary is 54, reached by 1% last season, and now more exclusive than “50”
Note: The original intention in H3 for 50 was to only include the top 0.1%. The population inflated over time and wasn’t corrected in H3 like we do in H5, so eventually much more than 0.1% of players in H3 got to 50. Similarly, for the first few seasons of HCS, only 0.1% of HCS players had a 50 or higher. Now, however, more than 2.5% of players are at 50 or higher, diluting that boundary point over time making it less exclusive than Onyx (currently only 1%). This is another example of why we move boundaries over time to maintain the same exclusivity and skill expectation for Onyx players and higher.
Appreciate being kept up to speed. Thanks.

edit: not that I’ll get anywhere near onyx but it explains why I’m back down to lower gold in hcs haha but I suspected there’d been a shift in ranking or something.
Is there still any word on BtB becoming ranked for a season?
Already champ again in swat with 7.0 kda win 85% and takes about 30 mins or about 4 to 5 red screens to find a game running solo, or with 2,3, or full squad. Time of day that i can find is prime time (7to9pm). I rarely play slayer because my gun of choice was mlg h3 BR (110%damage for easier 4 shot). Who uses a pistol as primary? Insteady of making pistol primary, put the BR specs back to default and lower fire rate of pistol. A lot of people are still limited to low levels due to their ISP is bad connections or high latency. I know a few diamonds with great shots but their shots dont register playing champs. I have a lot of problems with putting 4hitmarks into people and not droping in swat. Please fix hit registry or up the damage
Also. Find a way to make ranked GOLD ONLY. When i do find games and lose its because smurf and it takes 30csr . . and every win gives 1 to 5csr
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
Only 5 or so maps in swat... To many pistol games ..1 game found per 30min at champ lvl . bring old h3 mlg BR back.
Make onyx CSR points 1to10 points instead of 1to30. It will drop the smurf population a bit and keep champs in reach and competitive for rank 1
I hate wining 20 games in a row just to lose 1 game and be back where i started
Spoiler:
Show
I think i've seen this before, I have an idea though... don't play .
Hey thanks for tightening things up even further! I am alright with placing a little lower if it means that I am more likely to match up with players of similar skill. I have been waiting a little longer for matches, but I have noticed that if I stay in the lobby that the matches tend to start sooner.

I know I keep harping on the smurf thing. Well I am still concerned about it.

Even though this isn't necessarily a smurf type thing I hoped that this type of thing would get flagged or something by the data. I was teamed up with three players who all deliberately ran to the enemy and died. You can see the results here. After looking at the game history this one particular player has been able to put in 11 hours of gameplay.

This type of thing concerns me that the Smurfs and other players who are abusing the system aren't getting flagged and banned soon enough. This is the kind of thing that lower level players have to deal with. It is so frustrating, and I question whether trying to rank up is worth the effort.

I just need some assurance that things like this can and will be dealt with. That the smurf issue, even if it is a small issue, is in the works with being handled. I really wish there was a mandatory SR before going into ranked.
@ZaedynFel, Would it be possible to share your target population goals / actual population % for all the ranks, not just Onyx?
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/8b653da1-ec42-427d-a219-688d4712091a/players/zippyskippy?gameHistoryMatchIndex=32&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

Josh check out this link to a game I was in. The minute those on my team dropped out the game came alive. Prior to that it was very sluggish and shots weren't registering and movement was very slow. This link here should give you something to go on. There has to be something wrong because right now other players connection are effecting mine. This has to go far past a lag spike. Ive played a lot of various games over time and something with H5 is just off. This occurs in every game with some sort of performance impact. Don't get me wrong I do have decent games where it will play fine. But the very next game it will play very poor with the same issues as stated above. I know theres something not right here. I know in last weeks post you mentioned something to the effect of something being set to aggressive... I'm not sure if that is the cause but something is not right at all..It really feels while one is playing like the servers are under stress.. Let me know what you think. Anything else you need let me know.. Thanks!

p.s. I hope that link is posted correctly for you to dig into. There should be good data/evidence to what I'm trying to point out for you guys.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
DaxSeven09 wrote:
Hey thanks for tightening things up even further! I am alright with placing a little lower if it means that I am more likely to match up with players of similar skill. I have been waiting a little longer for matches, but I have noticed that if I stay in the lobby that the matches tend to start sooner.

I know I keep harping on the smurf thing. Well I am still concerned about it.

Even though this isn't necessarily a smurf type thing I hoped that this type of thing would get flagged or something by the data. I was teamed up with three players who all deliberately ran to the enemy and died. You can see the results here. After looking at the game history this one particular player has been able to put in 11 hours of gameplay.

This type of thing concerns me that the Smurfs and other players who are abusing the system aren't getting flagged and banned soon enough. This is the kind of thing that lower level players have to deal with. It is so frustrating, and I question whether trying to rank up is worth the effort.

I just need some assurance that things like this can and will be dealt with. That the smurf issue, even if it is a small issue, is in the works with being handled. I really wish there was a mandatory SR before going into ranked.
Yeah, we're definitely working on a few pieces that will significantly reduce the impact. We'll know more once we get them up and running.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/8b653da1-ec42-427d-a219-688d4712091a/players/zippyskippy?gameHistoryMatchIndex=32&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=ArenaJosh check out this link to a game I was in. The minute those on my team dropped out the game came alive. Prior to that it was very sluggish and shots weren't registering and movement was very slow. This link here should give you something to go on. There has to be something wrong because right now other players connection are effecting mine. This has to go far past a lag spike. Ive played a lot of various games over time and something with H5 is just off. This occurs in every game with some sort of performance impact. Don't get me wrong I do have decent games where it will play fine. But the very next game it will play very poor with the same issues as stated above. I know theres something not right here. I know in last weeks post you mentioned something to the effect of something being set to aggressive... I'm not sure if that is the cause but something is not right at all..It really feels while one is playing like the servers are under stress.. Let me know what you think. Anything else you need let me know.. Thanks!

p.s. I hope that link is posted correctly for you to dig into. There should be good data/evidence to what I'm trying to point out for you guys.
Thanks! I passed it along.
C0ldM0use wrote:
Appreciate being kept up to speed. Thanks.

edit: not that I’ll get anywhere near onyx but it explains why I’m back down to lower gold in hcs haha but I suspected there’d been a shift in ranking or something.
I'm right there with ya. Same with my Team Arena rank. I am more than okay with them making these adjustments though. Even if it means my goal of getting to Diamond is looking less and less likely.
@ZaedynFel, Would it be possible to share your target population goals / actual population % for all the ranks, not just Onyx?
The cut-offs are standard deviations out from a normalized distribution.

-infinity, -2: Bronze
-2,-1: Silver
-1,0: Gold
0,1: Platinum
1,2: Diamond
2: Onyx

Just plug those values into normal probability density function subtractions and you'll get the percentiles (homework assignment).
Lock this thread apparently...

Thanks for the update. this explains the new ranks.
Are tweaks still on the radar for Social Matchmaking? Especially BTB? Our Company used to play 80% of its matches via BTB.

Here are some early results of matchmaking BTB:

• 2 months ago = matches found within 1min usually. We played about 20 BTB matches in a 3hr game night.
  • When it reverted to top 3% (maybe a month ago) = Matches found in 2-5min always sweaty but we embraced the sweat as we felt we were improving even when we took an L. We may have failed to match a game between 1 to 3 times during this period.
  • The most current matchmaking (50% chance to win rule) = Last Friday we matched 4 BTB games.We went 3-0-1 against some amazing teams like ExO, partial squad Alpha Lone Wolves with Few Hesitations (who is a beast). Partial squad Excel with BR PWNER and Despawnz. We failed to match 4 times in BTB after that and then gave up and went to WZA and then customs to jerk around. Since this new matchmaking rule we have Failed to match a team 27 times total. In the history of Halo 5 before this we may have failed to 3-5 times total. So 2 years 3-5 times and the last 2 weeks 27 times. That is a lot of waiting time in a lobby getting frustrated. I think one night last week we may have compiled more lobby time than physically firing a weapon.
BTB is fun for us. We have a ton of laughs and enjoy the intensity when matching other talented squads. This new matchmaking is tearing the group apart. A couple of die hard Halo players are currently looking to new games. These guys were the ones convincing others to stay despite the age of the game but there isn't much of a defense now. Is 343 basically stating Companies like us should set up scrims or just go away? I realize we are not the majority and perhaps these new rules has made BTB more enjoyable for the solo quers and lower squads. We also endorse the sweatier ques as none of us want to run around looking for 2 players to kill with a 62-4 score on Altar. Hopefully there is another tweak on the way otherwise we could lose a lot of players to other games and it isn't just my squad.

We are begging for a Ranked BTB even if it was only a month or two. At least this could potentially create more efficient ques.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4