Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Matchmaking Feedback Update – October 25

OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This week’s update was delayed a bit since I was at the 2017 HCS Fall Finals in Denver --- which was an amazing event by the way.

New Skill System

One thing we get asked about a lot is timing on the new skill system. It is difficult to provide an ETA because since it is brand new, state-of-the-art technology, we are not going to rush. Instead, we will be thoroughly testing it internally before using it in any form in Halo 5. Once we have done the correctly amount of diligence internally, we will begin rolling it out slowly to the live game. I won’t have any updates on actual dates until we are a lot closer.

Team Balanced Matchmaking Rule

Our partners over on Live have integrated improvements to the team balanced matchmaking rule so we will be re-enabling that shortly. We will also mostly likely turn 12-player fireteam Warzone on when this goes live again.
I can't find Warzone Assault games anymore since the recent update, what changed?
Not sure if I remember correctly, but is the team balancer the rule that expanded allowable search times for full parties to search other full parties, and does it only apply to Warzone or is it in Arena as well?
Thank you Josh. I really appreciate your hard work. Sorry if I sounded a bit mad when I gave my feedback back on the 9th. I was honestly mad cause while 12 man Warzone was back, I didn't get a chance to play it and it was only up for a day. Keep doing what you're doing. I hope 12 man Warzone stays permanently this time to the point the matches are fair.
Josh, could you please get Hang 'Em High out of the Fiesta playlist? I can hang, but I can't carry 2 n00bs with -20 k/ds. Until then, I'll try to go 50/0. Thanks!

*Le sad face*.
Josh, could you please get Hang 'Em High out of the Fiesta playlist? I can hang, but I can't carry 2 n00bs with -20 k/ds. Until then, I'll try to go 50/0. Thanks!

*Le sad face*.
That doesn't really sound like an issue with Hang 'Em High though.

*Le sad face*.
lmao couldn't agree more
Is it possible to try a Solo Q HCS playlist out for a season? I'd be interesting to see how people like that. Maybe replace FFA with it? Just for a season idk.
Josh, i need to ask something. I love to play wza, my fav playlist by far in all H5, and i strictly solo Q. How come when i do finally find a game, after 30 mins - 1hr of searching, and the match is over those same 23 ppl go on to the next match and i get stucked with the "searching" screen and five mins of searching later i get thrown in a JIP match with those same 23 ppl. Why wouldnt i get placed in the match to begin with when the game either way threw me in the match but with only 1-2 mins left to turn it around. Pls dont say "well you should try searching with a team" ive tried that and cant find SQUAT! I have a better chance of finding games solo Qing. Thx in advance Josh for any feedback you can provide on this.
40% of my doubles games tonight were against smurfs. That does not include the 3 times we dodged because we saw the same smurf emblems again.

I can’t figure out why your data shows that it isn’t a big problem but, I am constantly running into them?

The best part is, the low ranked smurfs do double the damage to your ranking. If I manage to win, my rank barely goes up but if I lose...whamo. Rank destroyed. Good times.
ZaedynFel wrote:
New Skill System: One thing we get asked about a lot is timing on the new skill system. It is difficult to provide an ETA because since it is brand new, state-of-the-art technology, we are not going to rush. Instead, we will be thoroughly testing it internally before using it in any form in Halo 5. Once we have done the correctly amount of diligence internally, we will begin rolling it out slowly to the live game. I won’t have any updates on actual dates until we are a lot closer.
Not looking for specific dates on when it'll roll out to the live game, but could you provide a ballpark ETA on when the hope is that internal testing could potentially be completed by? Is there a hope that internal testing will be completed around December or before the New Year?
Quote:
Team Balanced Matchmaking Rule: Our partners over on Live have integrated improvements to the team balanced matchmaking rule so we will be re-enabling that shortly. We will also mostly likely turn 12-player fireteam Warzone on when this goes live again.
Is there hope to re-enable the team balance matchmaking rule prior to the fall update?
ZaedynFel wrote:
Team Balanced Matchmaking Rule Our partners over on Live have integrated improvements to the team balanced matchmaking rule so we will be re-enabling that shortly. We will also mostly likely turn 12-player fireteam Warzone on when this goes live again.
That is such great news. Thank you!
SGO SMACK wrote:
40% of my doubles games tonight were against smurfs. That does not include the 3 times we dodged because we saw the same smurf emblems again.

I can’t figure out why your data shows that it isn’t a big problem but, I am constantly running into them?

The best part is, the low ranked smurfs do double the damage to your ranking. If I manage to win, my rank barely goes up but if I lose...whamo. Rank destroyed. Good times.
I don't believe it has ever been stated this about their data. They know it's a big problem. They are working on an overall solution. Right now I think the main thing they're doing about it is making sure the system places them accurately according to their skill as fast as possible.

Yeah it sucks, but don't go around making false claims about what has been said about an issue.
Both the team balance rule (which makes sure matches are fair even when Fireteams are involved) and 12-player Fireteam Warzone / WZA are now enabled.

Note: The team balance fairness stuff has nothing to do with the new skill system. But it does drastically reduce the unfairness when Fireteams are involved. The new system will drastically reduce that even more, but is still quite a ways off.
LowGi wrote:
Is it possible to try a Solo Q HCS playlist out for a season? I'd be interesting to see how people like that. Maybe replace FFA with it? Just for a season idk.
I understand the simplicity of a Solo Q list, but unfortunately it comes with its own problems which I've discussed a few times.

If too many players go solo, everyone in the non-solo queue waits much much longer than today.

In addition, most above average players in HCS are always in Fireteams. So above average players that go to Solo Q will also have much longer wait times than they do today.

I think a better solution is to correctly adjust for skill, which in prototypes has shown to be just as effective as having a Solo Q. It's a ways off, but I think it's the right solution since it doesn't impact the population sizes.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
SGO SMACK wrote:

I can’t figure out why your data shows that it isn’t a big problem but, I am constantly running into them?The best part is, the low ranked smurfs do double the damage to your ranking. If I manage to win, my rank barely goes up but if I lose...whamo. Rank destroyed. Good times.
I don't believe it has ever been stated this about their data. They know it's a big problem. They are working on an overall solution. Right now I think the main thing they're doing about it is making sure the system places them accurately according to their skill as fast as possible.

Yeah it sucks, but don't go around making false claims about what has been said about an issue.
Actually, in last week’s thread (I think), Josh said the smurf issue isn’t as widespread or major as the number of people posting about it make it seem. However, he did say that it’s something they notice and agrees it is bad for matchmaking as a whole, and it’s something they are looking to address.
ZaedynFel wrote:
Both the team balance rule (which makes sure matches are fair even when Fireteams are involved) and 12-player Fireteam Warzone / WZA are now enabled.

Note: The team balance fairness stuff has nothing to do with the new skill system. But it does drastically reduce the unfairness when Fireteams are involved. The new system will drastically reduce that even more, but is still quite a ways off.
That is great news!!! Thanks a ton!!!
DaxSeven09 wrote:
SGO SMACK wrote:

I can’t figure out why your data shows that it isn’t a big problem but, I am constantly running into them?The best part is, the low ranked smurfs do double the damage to your ranking. If I manage to win, my rank barely goes up but if I lose...whamo. Rank destroyed. Good times.

menke himself said it wasn’t not as big of a problem as people perceive. He said it was a small problem.

i could find his post. I think it was said in the matchmaking update 2-3 threads ago.

so, it’s not a false claim.

my concern is that his data isn’t catching all the smurfs that are really out there. Maybe the machine needs some help spotting these players.
Maybe it's a combination of your MMR and the playlist population? Your complaint about smurfs reminds me of my complaint about parties. I match sweaty parties all the time in BTB and I do think they're a problem, but like your issue Josh also said that parties aren't a wide spread problem. I think it's most likely because of my MMR and the time that I play in that playlist which is traditionally when the population isn't at the highest. If the Doubles population is low, your chances of matching them will be greater.
SGO SMACK wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
SGO SMACK wrote:

menke himself said it wasn’t not as big of a problem as people perceive. He said it was a small problem.

i could find his post. I think it was said in the matchmaking update 2-3 threads ago.

so, it’s not a false claim.

my concern is that his data isn’t catching all the smurfs that are really out there. Maybe the machine needs some help spotting these players.
Chimera30 wrote:
I apologize. I remember this post now, and found where he said this.

ZaedynFel wrote:
As for smurfs, they happen a lot less than their perception influences, so they overall don't have a huge impact on the overall system.

But, they are a super negative experience, which makes them feel like they are happening orders of magnitude more than they really are.

This same new system actually handles smurfs very well, and they stand out pretty clearly, so we'll be able to reduce their impact on player experiences significantly.
~The post it came from
I haven't been playing a whole lot recently, and I am definitely not playing Doubles. I will take what Menke says though. I think a lot of times the mere frustration of a thing makes it seem more than it is.

Out of curiosity though I am going to start tracking how many Smurfs I believe I am running into, and then go from there. Maybe you can do the same.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3