OP ZaedynFel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
Matchmaking Settings Updates
As many of you have noticed, we’ve made a few matchmaking changes lately that are already live as we try them out.

Letting Matches Start Even if They Aren’t Full
There’s an ongoing issue that randomly drops players after a full match is found. This can result in players waiting awhile for that missing slot to get refilled. We are still searching for the main cause of this drop, but to alleviate the issue in the meantime, we’ve allowed matches to start without being full in several playlists. Currently, any playlist with 10 or more players in Social can start down 1-2 players. This has been resulting in overall faster matchmaking so far.

Team Balance Check Adjustments
Before allowing a match to happen, there is a check that makes sure that the teams are balanceable into reasonably fair matches. In the past, it has prevented matches if the best balance possible resulted in worse than a 40% chance for one team to win. The main reason being it’s not fair to make matches much worse than that.
Since then, we have analyzed player behavior and observed that there are different fairness tolerances per playlist. So we went through each playlist and adjusted the requirement based on how players react in that playlist. The result is that with only one exception, we were able to widen the fairness tolerance, resulting in faster and more inclusive matchmaking. The exception was Elimination which stayed the same as before because its players are more sensitive to the fairness gap.

In addition, we noticed although tolerance decreases quickly as fairness goes down, in some Social playlists, it eventually levels off to a reasonable level. In those playlists, we now allow the team balance check to relax after a certain point. At that time, players and FireTeams that have been waiting awhile will match with the best set of players possible that are still searching and start the match. This affects most playlists in Social except for Quick Play. Other lists should now have near guaranteed shorter wait times.

All these changes are now live, and we will be monitoring the results of the changes carefully and may make further tweaks in the future.
Thank you
Thanks for the fix for lobbies that aren't full! This is one of H5's biggest issues and you might have just solved it :)
Thank you, this is so nice for the 15/16 player issue in BTB. A++
Thank you. This is a massive improvement. I hope it stays like this.
Thanks big dog!!
This past week has been major step in right direction in regards to BTB. I’m playing every night!
This is fantastic. Been wanting this for a long time. Thank you!
It's been so nice being able to find quick matches the last few days, particularly in BTB. Thanks for making this change - it's a HUGE upgrade to the overall player experience.
Great changes. Thank you so much :)
Sounds great! I’m sure we’ll let you all know in two weeks time if it’s not working xD
Love these changes
Starting matches down a player or two fixes the number 1 issue we faced in BTB. Previously we could search for hours (no joke) and never get to play a game (unless we invited players to fill the dropped spots). We're even noticing that most times the dropped spots are filled with join in progress before the game even starts.

Thank you so much!

PS it's also nice to be able to find matches with a full 8 again.
When is the lag issue going to be addressed? I don’t care how “fair” a match is if there is lag.
xblkwidowx wrote:
When is the lag issue going to be addressed? I don’t care how “fair” a match is if there is lag.
It looks like that is more of an xbox live issue.

Link
So that's why I got spawn trapped by a team of 8 Dominated players in WZA as a solo queuer...multiple times. I tolerated it by sitting on the respawn screen as long as possible.
This is awesome! Thanks. I was thinking about this earlier, and I'm wondering if this is in the realm of possibility.
Could we potentially see join-in-progress become a thing in social playlists?
DRBoss 2G wrote:
Social Playlists already support JIP.
Chimera30 wrote:
DRBoss 2G wrote:
Social Playlists already support JIP.
I wonder if he was referring to MCC?
Yay, a new thread. Nice to hear about starting even if the lobby isn't full although the loosened team balancer gives me a little concern.

Can you share any info about how the BTB refresh is coming along?
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Can you share any info about how the BTB refresh is coming along?
I’ve seen a lot of BTB testing by the forging community and some of the dedicated BTB companies/clans/groups/teams.

It’s coming along, but I wasn’t able to get a ballpark ETA when I inquired earlier this week. Not sure much has changed since asking.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12