Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

My top 5 suggestions to improve matchmaking

OP wadehamilton

1. Numbered ranking system: I would say at least 50% of the games I've been have been very poorly balanced. This isn't due to lack of player base or teams of 4 vs. solos. The games will have all random players and often put 4 onyx/champs on a team and 4 low diamonds on a team. The games are predictable blow outs and kind of a waste of time for both sides. You need to bring back a ranking system that balances the game by either balancing the K/D ratio of both teams using a math formula to get the most even game (which would work surprisingly well) OR balance the game by a number system 50,40,30,20 = 50,50,40,0 (and just have a few points to buffer if it isn't "exact". I don't mind completely lopsided games if one team is playing better than the other. But when the games are predictably lopsided before they even begin... That needs to change.
2. Permanent ban for smurf accounts: I know in the video game world smurf accounts are treated very lightly, but in other forms of competition to downgrade your rank to play/compete against lower tier competition is incredibly serious and extremely condemned. I do brazilian jiu jitsu and the term for it is "sandbagging" and if you're caught competing at a lower belt then you are/should be because you want to tap out a bunch of white/blue belts you'll be banned from any competition and most gyms. I'm so sick of people creating 3,4,5,6,7+ smurf accounts and throwing the ranking system off so they can get mismatched games. Yes it's just a video game - but people invest time out of their day for this and nobody has a good experience when champion ranked smurf accounts are smashing diamond/plat players.
3. Mercy rule: When an objective based game starts getting incredibly out of hand and the team is just farming the other instead of mericfully winning/ending the game the game should recognize "hey the score is 149-5 on oddball and this one team has just outslayed the other 50-3 in the past 3 minutes without touching the oddball for the win - I think it's time to end the game. I know warzone is plagued with this but it's starting to infect ranked team arena. Twice tonight when the game was a 4vs2 situation the other team of onyx's just farmed us for 5 minutes instead of actually picking up the ball for the final second. It's incredibly toxic.
4. Block players: Ability to block players. This would make the game notify you if you're about to join a game with a blocked player and you have the ability to backout (similar to warzone)
5. Ban players for TOTAL team damage WITH number of betrayals: Ban a player from the game if he has betrayed 2 teammates OR if he's inflicted 300 damage to teammates. Whichever comes first. I've been playing Halo since 2003 and since the very beginning players will just shoot you all game until you're no shield, knowing you can't kick them until an actual "betrayal" has happened. It's a way to essentially betray without actually getting kicked for it.

I don't know those are just my thoughts on how I feel the game's matchmaking experience could be improved. Essentially as balanced a game as you can get, ban smurfs, ability to block players, limit toxicity.

1. Numbered ranking system: I would say at least 50% of the games I've been have been very poorly balanced. This isn't due to lack of player base or teams of 4 vs. solos. The games will have all random players and often put 4 onyx/champs on a team and 4 low diamonds on a team. The games are predictable blow outs and kind of a waste of time for both sides. You need to bring back a ranking system that balances the game by either balancing the K/D ratio of both teams using a math formula to get the most even game (which would work surprisingly well) OR balance the game by a number system 50,40,30,20 = 50,50,40,0 (and just have a few points to buffer if it isn't "exact". I don't mind completely lopsided games if one team is playing better than the other. But when the games are predictably lopsided before they even begin... That needs to change.
2. Permanent ban for smurf accounts: I know in the video game world smurf accounts are treated very lightly, but in other forms of competition to downgrade your rank to play/compete against lower tier competition is incredibly serious and extremely condemned. I do brazilian jiu jitsu and the term for it is "sandbagging" and if you're caught competing at a lower belt then you are/should be because you want to tap out a bunch of white/blue belts you'll be banned from any competition and most gyms. I'm so sick of people creating 3,4,5,6,7+ smurf accounts and throwing the ranking system off so they can get mismatched games. Yes it's just a video game - but people invest time out of their day for this and nobody has a good experience when champion ranked smurf accounts are smashing diamond/plat players.
3. Mercy rule: When an objective based game starts getting incredibly out of hand and the team is just farming the other instead of mericfully winning/ending the game the game should recognize "hey the score is 149-5 on oddball and this one team has just outslayed the other 50-3 in the past 3 minutes without touching the oddball for the win - I think it's time to end the game. I know warzone is plagued with this but it's starting to infect ranked team arena. Twice tonight when the game was a 4vs2 situation the other team of onyx's just farmed us for 5 minutes instead of actually picking up the ball for the final second. It's incredibly toxic.
4. Block players: Ability to block players. This would make the game notify you if you're about to join a game with a blocked player and you have the ability to backout (similar to warzone)
5. Ban players for TOTAL team damage WITH number of betrayals: Ban a player from the game if he has betrayed 2 teammates OR if he's inflicted 300 damage to teammates. Whichever comes first. I've been playing Halo since 2003 and since the very beginning players will just shoot you all game until you're no shield, knowing you can't kick them until an actual "betrayal" has happened. It's a way to essentially betray without actually getting kicked for it.

I don't know those are just my thoughts on how I feel the game's matchmaking experience could be improved. Essentially as balanced a game as you can get, ban smurfs, ability to block players, limit toxicity.

Have you read the matchmaking FAQ at the top? Point #1 is addressed there but in short they’re already doing an advanced version of what you suggest.

Smurfs get placed at their correct rank with just a few games max, so what you’re saying doesn’t really happen. If someone intentionally deranks to play lower competition, they’ll get hit with a harsh ban.

Mercy rule is unnecessary except maybe if there are multiple quitters on a team and it’s a mutual option. A team is hurting itself by dragging the game on for more kills —
kills per minute is what matters.

Blocking players would be awful at everything but the middle ranks — you’d have too many people blocking each other and harder times finding matches.

The damage to players is an interesting thought for a way to boot people but I doubt it’s such a widespread issue that it needs to be added, and could have unexpected side effects.

I personally have seen mostly even matches and very few griefers in ranked.
Blocking people worked for a hot minute in Warzone. The top dudes all blocked each other and then were all Pikachu face when they couldn't find matches.
The only point of yours that I can get behind is the last regarding team damage. I've seen it suggested multiple times over the years and I think it would really limit the effectiveness of griefers.

There have been instances where smurf accounts go into ranked and teamkill, damage until no shields, feed enemy, kill you after being damaged by the enemy, and suicide with a whopping 0 damage on the carnage report (and in fact 0 kills throughout their entire placements).

The intentional feeding could still happen but at least it is then a 2v4 instead of a 2v6.
The process of making a fair and resource effective ranking system is extremely difficult and it's even more difficult if it's used when creating matches instead of creating random teams. This process is even more difficult if you take into account that the match creation process is dependent on the player rank which has the result that the data from the match may become biased.
The process of finding and banning smurf accounts isn't as simple as you think as long as you wish to avoid banning innocent. For instance, a player may possibly have relatively relatively high initial experience due to a set of various reasons like that he have played the game with a friend. Banning all alt accounts on a Xbox as the suspected alt account may be an account used by a different person.