Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Platinum matching champ/onyx?

OP TrUoK003

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Not sure why this game is so messed up but I played my ranking matches and got placed platinum 6. Very first game was matched against onyx and champions? Is the population really that bad that I have to play onyx and champion level players? what a joke. I guess I’ll stick with social playlist.
I mean, if you're just taking one game out of the many you've likely played before and making that the bar, then I suppose you have an argument.
If you placed Plat 6 after qualifying, it means your MMR is actually Diamond 4. That’s only 3 tiers always from Onyx. Matchmaking occurs based on MMR, not CSR. So it’s not surprising that you matched some Onyx players as a Diamond 4; many months ago, skill-based matching was loosened a bit so Onyx and Champ players could find games in a reasonable amount of time.
Do you mean this game where you were on a team with two champions and an unranked and playing against two diamonds and two onyxs?
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/5ac8bee5-58a4-4f37-a4f4-7d076f890bab/players/truok003?gameHistoryMatchIndex=0&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
Depending on when you play, it won't be extremely uncommon to play against Onyx/Champ folks. Keep in mind that it's still relatively early in the season so some people's CSR has not "caught up" (for lack of better term) to their MMR. So that Diamond 2 or 3 on your team may very well be an Onyx. And that Plat 3 or 4 may be a Diamond.

Like Chimera30 said, if you placed Plat 6, you're technically a Diamond 4 which is knocking on the door of Onyx.

Plat 6 to Diamond 1 is 50 CSR, Diamond 1 to diamond 2 is 50 CSR, etc., and each player started this season 200 CSR below their MMR rank.
I had a game today that was unbelievably unbalanced:
my team:
diamond 4
diamond 4
diamond 6
platinum 6
opponent team:
onyx
onyx
onyx
diamond 1
It ended 50-25 of course...
If you want more info on what's happened in those matches, drop links to them in the pinned feedback thread and Dr. Menke may be able to look into them for you
GnoGi wrote:
my team:
diamond 4
diamond 4
diamond 6
platinum 6
opponent team:
onyx
onyx
onyx
diamond 1
This game?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/638c3a0c-e47a-46c8-ae1d-2143f0d59214/players/gnogi?gameHistoryMatchIndex=8&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
GnoGi wrote:
my team:
diamond 4
diamond 4
diamond 6
platinum 6
opponent team:
onyx
onyx
onyx
diamond 1
That team was a party of four and they were lower onyx's so higher diamonds matching them wouldn't be out of the ordinary. You were likely matched with the diamond one which would be normal. Two of your teammates were also champion level players in FFA and Team Arena in previous seasons. If it makes you feel any better, that team lost the very next game to three diamonds and an onyx player.
NightClerk wrote:
GnoGi wrote:
my team:
diamond 4
diamond 4
diamond 6
platinum 6
opponent team:
onyx
onyx
onyx
diamond 1
This game?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/638c3a0c-e47a-46c8-ae1d-2143f0d59214/players/gnogi?gameHistoryMatchIndex=8&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena
Thanks I didn't try to watch my game history.
stckrboy wrote:
If you want more info on what's happened in those matches, drop links to them in the pinned feedback thread and Dr. Menke may be able to look into them for you
Did you find anything about the games? Any sort of explanation?
I dont' want to bring you down or anything, but sticking to social playlists will give you matches that are just as bad or worse - the difference being that you won't have living proof in the form of visible ranks in the post-game carnage report. Sorry for the bad news.
stckrboy wrote:
Josh hasn't been active in that thread for quite a while now. He must be busy with other things.
What about in ffa? A onyx a diamond a Plat and 2 unranked and me stuck at gold because this is becoming very common. It's not every game but happens more than not.
QX wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
Josh hasn't been active in that thread for quite a while now. He must be busy with other things.
Forgive me, who is Josh?
Forgive me, who is Josh?
Josh Menke or Dr. Menke, also known as ZaedynFel. He works at 343 and designed the multiplayer ranking systems
stckrboy wrote:
Forgive me, who is Josh?
Josh Menke or Dr. Menke, also known as ZaedynFel. He works at 343 and designed the multiplayer ranking systems
Thank you for that. I don't think I've heard his name before but I have now!
For some reason it's been doing that to people on the very first game

I guess it kind of makes sense to start high, instead of low.

After the first game, things should somewhat improve, though. The system should somewhat gauge your skills
Try playing Champs in your placement games for FFA :( - I hover between high Diamond and low Onyx so I guess it's fair but seeing Vetoed pop up in placement matches has never seen me have any great success
Can some one explain this one?
(I was on the winning team but come on how can you let this matches happen?!?!)
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/f4b42e7c-695e-4027-919f-d7752d04d1e5/players/gnogi?gameHistoryMatchIndex=1&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2