Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Platinum vs Diamond Population

OP Shotshaper88

Is it me or does it seem like there are way more Diamonds than Plats around. I constantly get matches with multiple diamonds and even onyx sometimes even though I generally rank plat 4/5. Does this mean there aren’t a lot of plats for me to match with based on that. Doesn’t seem to make sense. Anyone else have this experience?
Idk I get matched with mainly plats in all my playlists. The occasional onyx or champ, a few diamonds and some golds if I play with a friend. I always wonder about the population of the various ranks myself. It seems like the vast majority of players would be in gold to plat ranks since that is right in the middle, but I wonder what it actually comes out to be in practice.
Depending on the time of day (or night) you search, that could be the case. But overall, there are more Plats than Diamonds. As a matter of fact, the last time a rank distribution chart was posted, the majority of the ranked population was Platinum.

Now, as far as matchmaking is concerned, Plats can match against Diamonds since that's only 1 tier above. Instances of Plats matching against Onyx should happen relatively rarely under normal circumstances.
That might be because the highest you can place after 10 placement matches is Diamond 3. I'm sure a lot of players place D1-D3 when they finish their placement matches.