3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 35
Unyshek wrote:
Hey all! Now that Proving Grounds is live, we wanted to spin up a thread for you to discuss your experience in the playlist. Feel free to leave feedback on the new radar, maps, gameplay, and any other thoughts you have. We're here to listen!

If you'd like to learn more about Proving Grounds and the new radar, you can read up on it in last week's Community Update here on Waypoint. Here are the maps and modes you'll be able to find in Proving Grounds:
  • Slayer on Eden
  • Slayer on Plaza
  • Slayer on Coliseum
  • Slayer on Regret
  • Slayer on Empire
  • Slayer on The Rig
  • CTF on Coliseum
  • CTF on Fathom
  • CTF on Truth
  • CTF on Tyrant
  • CTF on Torque
  • Strongholds on Mercy
  • Strongholds on Overgrowth
  • Strongholds on Eden
  • Strongholds on Plaza
  • Strongholds on The Rig
Jump in and let us know what you think!
I love halo 5 multiplayer but now you have me worried about the future of halo 5 and beyond by changing the motion tracker to have no motion is not halo at all 343i your slowly going back to your roots to halo 4 which is basically a halo version of call of duty I hate cod so unbalanced nothing compares to halo so please don't take the motion out of the motion tracker I'm a old halo player you can't teach a old dog new tricks if you do decide to do it please do not put it in all the playlist you owe us halo vets that at least
getatme94 wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Unknown wrote:
this new radar is absolue TRASH, im not ranked close to where i should be nor am i doing bad in the playlist but it has changed the overall play. matches feel slower and people are camping alot more. the storm rifle is already the cheapest weapon in the game and atleast if i see a red dot on my radar i can be ready for anything. BUT YOU COULDNT NERF THAT???!!! Halo has always had radar no need to nerf it. No need to cater to players with no gunskill and need backsmack kills or crouching on auto kills. Radar is a plus to everyone.
Really isn't true when you say halo has always had radar. No radar has always been the ideal thing for competitive play, 343 just refuse to remove it so this test is the next best thing. I just wonder how many of you will continue acting like this is even for the base game, at best it's going into team arena aka the HCS playlist. It's for the people who asked for it, you still have your other playlists if you dislike this one so much.
no it hasnt, and dont quote me on competitive halo when your halo history shows nothing close to mine. just say you need backsmacks
No it hasn't what? Made it into team arena? Probably cuz it's still an on hoing test, i never said it is in there right now, I said that's where it'll go if it gains traction.

rest of you post is worthless to respond to since you seem to carry an ego, and even then my stats play no part in this lol, doesn't take someone to be good to understand better gameplay styles so enjoy your "history".
theres no ego. you dont want radar because you want cheap kills.
listen, and predict. Thatll change as people gain experience.
I don't know about you but I can't hear ANYTHING when it comes to players walking around. I have my tv volume up high AND NEVER hear people when they walk or sprint up behind me, assassinate me, walk past me, nothing.

The radar in previous Halo's balanced this out as if this was real life you would hear soldiers clomping around in heavy armour from 25 metres away or more. The radar just transferred this sensory perception from real life hearing to a virtual gaming radar.

Similarly to how aim assist and bullet magnatism is necessary as in real life you would be 10 times more accurate with a pistol at close range than you are in game WITHOUT bullet magnatism or aim assist.

It is extremely difficult to bring in realism int a virtual world but the 25 metre radar was more realistic in your awareness of spartans in close proximity than whatever distance it is now and certainly more realistic than not sensing players walking (clomping in heavy armour) around.
you can listen to things other then footsteps, grenades going off, shots being fired
None of which help you to localise the location of enemy fire. Just becomes useless white noise in the background. Only thing that helps is your teammates nametag going yellow.

Id much rather the standard 25 metre radar back as it's more realistic to what real life sensory perceptions would be like and get rid of allied death x's and team name turning yellow on fire.

easy fix.
i disagree with the "useless white noise" people like that, are the ones who don't know their team-mate is dying right next to them, i clearly know where and roughly how far enchanges are happening from my location, and that is just using audio ques.

but what we can both agree on, is the the fact the radar needs to stay 25M from this point on, i don't care if i always show up (i rather not) but at least it will be 25m
Really like this alternate radar, IMO should be the one we use moving forward. Amusing seeing people who without a full radar are just utterly clueless, I have never seen so many gooses......However, it's not all good as I have also never seen so many people quitting, also, the matchmaking is still mega shady with regard to being put up against parties and folks weeeeellllll above my skill level. Of course it also goes without saying that we still also have some utterly god awful servers from time to time.
I was looking forward to this but I think after playing it it's kind of stupid. It's basicly a safer option than having a no radar option.
I haven't been able to get that many kills with AR which is good use pistol more and the new radar I enjoy it I prefer for it to be taken out but I guess it limits people sprinting and I'm able to jump and walk free now to be sneaky since radar won't tell where I am and I enjoy it
I love the new radar / motion tracking system!
343 should really make the radar in all of halo 5 25m.It truly makes spartan abilitys less effective which is a good thing rather then a negative.And it also gives arena gameplay a better pace, rather then a bad one instead.
For me i do not want the motion tracker to change at all. If it changes then it makes the point of crouching almost pointless. I think a compromise should be made were there is a game mode with this motion tracker available but the current version is applied throughout the game.
Adding on to that, it's called a MOTION TRACKER, not CODs gunfire and sprint tracker. It's a massive downgrade from the most reliable mechanic used since the days of CE. And if this becomes a permanent change, what will it mean for the campaign? If they somehow apply it globally (because why would you only change it for half the game, should it become permanent), elites can't use spartan abilities so they are less likely to show up on the MOTION TRACKER. If we go cannon about it, UNSC's SPARTANs have used the motion tracker in most of their huds, to track MOTION. Why would the UNSC suddenly say "Nah -Yoink- that" and give their SPARTANs less of an advantage in the field? To me, changing the motion tracker at all was just an absurd idea. It feels like a complete downgrade. Just give us back the 25m standard motion tracker like on Halo 4 or reach and I'll be happy.
343 should really make the radar in all of halo 5 25m.It truly makes spartan abilitys less effective which is a good thing rather then a negative.And it also gives arena gameplay a better pace, rather then a bad one instead.
Make it all 25, yes. Just not the same radar as the one that is currently being tested. Extend the range in other areas but dont change anything else for social and warzone playlists. For custom they can also offer more option for how the player wants to customize the radar for the match.

Currently in Warzone it actually already is 25m with the advanced sensors adding more so thats fine anyway.
Unyshek wrote:
Hey all! Now that Proving Grounds is live, we wanted to spin up a thread for you to discuss your experience in the playlist. Feel free to leave feedback on the new radar, maps, gameplay, and any other thoughts you have. We're here to listen!

If you'd like to learn more about Proving Grounds and the new radar, you can read up on it in last week's Community Update here on Waypoint. Here are the maps and modes you'll be able to find in Proving Grounds:
  • Slayer on Eden
  • Slayer on Plaza
  • Slayer on Coliseum
  • Slayer on Regret
  • Slayer on Empire
  • Slayer on The Rig
  • CTF on Coliseum
  • CTF on Fathom
  • CTF on Truth
  • CTF on Tyrant
  • CTF on Torque
  • Strongholds on Mercy
  • Strongholds on Overgrowth
  • Strongholds on Eden
  • Strongholds on Plaza
  • Strongholds on The Rig
Jump in and let us know what you think!
I love halo 5 multiplayer but now you have me worried about the future of halo 5 and beyond by changing the motion tracker to have no motion is not halo at all 343i your slowly going back to your roots to halo 4 which is basically a halo version of call of duty I hate cod so unbalanced nothing compares to halo so please don't take the motion out of the motion tracker I'm a old halo player you can't teach a old dog new tricks if you do decide to do it please do not put it in all the playlist you owe us halo vets that at least
Playlists in the past have actually had NO motion tracker and in CE it was usually off in multiplayer. In competitive it has always been off entirely. This is not "Going back to halo 4". Going back to halo 4 would be increasing the radar range AND adding directional indicators for the level the player is on. The radar has been getting dumbed down for quite some time. first it was very blurry dots, then sharper dots, then what i just described in Halo 4. Now the default does a similar thing but instead of an arrow the red dot turns grayish to indicate that the person is not on the same level as you.

Basically, throughout the life of Halo multiplayer, the radar has been holding people's hands more and more and frankly the heads up awareness of a lot of players has been compromised because of that.

I'll concede this point for sure: I fail to see why it would be necessary to adopt this radar everywhere. just use it in ranked if you want.

For me i do not want the motion tracker to change at all. If it changes then it makes the point of crouching almost pointless. I think a compromise should be made were there is a game mode with this motion tracker available but the current version is applied throughout the game.
Adding on to that, it's called a MOTION TRACKER, not CODs gunfire and sprint tracker. It's a massive downgrade from the most reliable mechanic used since the days of CE. And if this becomes a permanent change, what will it mean for the campaign? If they somehow apply it globally (because why would you only change it for half the game, should it become permanent), elites can't use spartan abilities so they are less likely to show up on the MOTION TRACKER. If we go cannon about it, UNSC's SPARTANs have used the motion tracker in most of their huds, to track MOTION. Why would the UNSC suddenly say "Nah -Yoink- that" and give their SPARTANs less of an advantage in the field? To me, changing the motion tracker at all was just an absurd idea. It feels like a complete downgrade. Just give us back the 25m standard motion tracker like on Halo 4 or reach and I'll be happy.
CoDs radar only tracks gunfire. Not sprint. Tracking sprint is a halo specific thing. Other games that have radar have just radar for gunfire and many don't have one at all.
Again, most MP in CE was played without radar.
There is no reason why you couldn't use it in same places and not others. This has been the case in every halo game. some lists had radar, some lists didn't. Its not a big deal and i think people are smart enough to figure out which one is being used in the list they are playing.
Also, please stop using lore to balance the game. MP isn't lore. Campaign is lore, save it for that.
Played proving grounds and it was kind of fun, but It doesn't flow like halo. It encourages camping and eliminates crouching, at least in my experience. For the longest time I've thought that 22-23 meters regular radar would be perfect. the 15m or whatever it was before was terrible. Being on Midship and seeing a guy run in before the radar even detected it was aggravating. What is the point of radar if it can't give you a heads up? Can someone explain to me specifically why competitive gamers don't like using radar and prefer callouts etc? I remember no radar in mlg matches etc. since Halo 2. Not hating, just a little ignorant. :)
PS just read some more of the posts. Great discussion in here. I'll keep playing proving grounds and see if I change my mind.
Unknown wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Unknown wrote:
this new radar is absolue TRASH, im not ranked close to where i should be nor am i doing bad in the playlist but it has changed the overall play. matches feel slower and people are camping alot more. the storm rifle is already the cheapest weapon in the game and atleast if i see a red dot on my radar i can be ready for anything. BUT YOU COULDNT NERF THAT???!!! Halo has always had radar no need to nerf it. No need to cater to players with no gunskill and need backsmack kills or crouching on auto kills. Radar is a plus to everyone.
Really isn't true when you say halo has always had radar. No radar has always been the ideal thing for competitive play, 343 just refuse to remove it so this test is the next best thing. I just wonder how many of you will continue acting like this is even for the base game, at best it's going into team arena aka the HCS playlist. It's for the people who asked for it, you still have your other playlists if you dislike this one so much.
no it hasnt, and dont quote me on competitive halo when your halo history shows nothing close to mine. just say you need backsmacks
No it hasn't what? Made it into team arena? Probably cuz it's still an on hoing test, i never said it is in there right now, I said that's where it'll go if it gains traction.

rest of you post is worthless to respond to since you seem to carry an ego, and even then my stats play no part in this lol, doesn't take someone to be good to understand better gameplay styles so enjoy your "history".
theres no ego. you dont want radar because you want cheap kills.
listen, and predict. Thatll change as people gain experience.
I don't know about you but I can't hear ANYTHING when it comes to players walking around. I have my tv volume up high AND NEVER hear people when they walk or sprint up behind me, assassinate me, walk past me, nothing.

The radar in previous Halo's balanced this out as if this was real life you would hear soldiers clomping around in heavy armour from 25 metres away or more. The radar just transferred this sensory perception from real life hearing to a virtual gaming radar.

Similarly to how aim assist and bullet magnatism is necessary as in real life you would be 10 times more accurate with a pistol at close range than you are in game WITHOUT bullet magnatism or aim assist.

It is extremely difficult to bring in realism int a virtual world but the 25 metre radar was more realistic in your awareness of spartans in close proximity than whatever distance it is now and certainly more realistic than not sensing players walking (clomping in heavy armour) around.
Hmm i wonder if there something strange with your audio settings because h5's footsteps are louder than any other halos.

I dont know about the realism angle. I'd imagine that Spartans, with their heightened senses, would be able to detect enemies even if their equipment were to fail in the field. And I'd imagine that their training simulations would be without radar for this very reason.

Overall im not sure if simulating awareness (by penalizing base movement, and feeding unearned info to people who are crouching in corners via radar) is better than encouraging ACTUAL awareness...

Also i disagree with the comparison to aim assist and magnetism. Those dont exist because of 'realism'. They exist because shooters would feel terrible on controllers without them. There's no technical reason why people cant be aware of their surroundings. If there is an issue with the audio mixing, maybe they should address that instead of spoon feeding info.

I do know that radar just encourages camping with autos and waiting for people to show up on radar so you can surprise them.
In my opinion it does not work well, as it makes the sensor nearly useless as well as crouching also becomes completely useless. Therefore being stealth is now way too easy, as cowardly behavior gets extremely promoted, instead of actually being sneaky.
I think it shouldn't be applied to the game, if it is, it should be in its own playlist, like it was in prior halo titles.
I was going to post something similar but to expand on Samuel S034 BII post I can't imagine grunts running around using Spartan charge and ground pound as funny as it would be in reality and in a lore perspective it would be disastrous. Add it to professional matches but leave the current one in all other game modes or have an ability in the options to change between the two although I think this would be unfair.
Played proving grounds and it was kind of fun, but It doesn't flow like halo. It encourages camping and eliminates crouching, at least i my experience. For the longest time I've thought that 22-23 meters regular radar would be perfect. the 15m or whatever it was before was terrible. Being on Midship and seeing a guy run in before the radar even detected it was aggravating. What is the point of radar if it can't give you a heads up? Can someone explain to me specifically why competitive gamers don't like using radar and prefer callouts etc? I remember no radar in mlg matches etc. since Halo 2. Not hating, just a little ignorant. :)
As far as competitive gamers go, what i bolded is the point. A radar is giving you free information. It encourages crouch-camping and auto-spamming and devalues team communication, map knowledge and spawn awareness.

Without radar you have to listen to your teammates and put a picture together in your head of where the enemy is. You have to remember where people died and when and try to predict their spawns. if you are staring at a point on the map and don't see anybody, the game shouldn't feed you the information that "hey someone is coming up behind you!!" You should have to think "ok, nobody is over there. They have spawned by now and my team is over there so the enemy could be coming at my back." Radar removes the need to have that kind of mental processing.

Now granted, i know that is not for everybody. A lot of people want to be fed that information and they dont want to have to think that deeply about the game. Which is 100% fine!! That's why I am personally a proponent of not using the modified radar in every playlist. I think adopting it throughout the entire game would be a mistake, but putting it in ranked play would be appropriate.
In my opinion it does not work well, as it makes the sensor nearly useless as well as crouching also becomes completely useless. Therefore being stealth is now way too easy, as cowardly behavior gets extremely promoted, instead of actually being sneaky.
I think it shouldn't be applied to the game, if it is, it should be in its own playlist, like it was in prior halo titles.
Agree on the last part. I dont think it should be applied everywhere and only to specific playlists. I would have it used in all ranked playlists. This kind of radar is not going to be for everybody, which is fine and I dont think it should be forced on anyone.

Let me ask you this, how exactly does crouching allow you to actually be sneaky? Crouching and actually trying to move about the map is almost impossible against competent teammates. It takes much too long that odds are even if you could pull it off, you would be leaving your teammates high and dry for a long time, 3 v 4 while trying to do so. The single most effective play with crouch is to crouch in a corner with an automatic weapon, staring at radar and waiting for someone to come running by. That's not "being sneaky" that's "Hiding".
What does canon have to do with it? Why are you assuming that it would apply globally?

Do you need a canonical explanation for why swat doesnt have shields or radar at all? No, its just a separate playlist with different settings. No big deal.

If they truly needed a canonical explanation for the playlist it wouldn't be difficult to do:

Spartans must prepared to adapt to less than ideal situations such as equipment failure or enemy tech advancements. In an effort to promote heightened awareness in case of such scenarios, THIS simulation reduces motion tracker functionality to only sense the elevated energy signatures emitted by active thruster packs (sprint, thrust, stabilize, ground pound).
I think it would be nice if we actually knew what playlists this new motion tracker would potentially be implemented into before the uproars start. In previous Halos, certain playlists didn't have the motion tracker and it was perfectly fine.
I do not think this version of radar should replace the existing one. While I can easily see this being an option in customs and appearing in certain competitive playlist. I DO NOT think this should be the base radar. It completely undermines the idea of the radar that has been around since the beginning, to show you enemies who are near you. after playing this I actually think it being 18m with more visuals is better then 25m with less.

Crouch sneaking is dead here, no skill is really needed to sneak up on someone, you can just walk behind them and assassinate them. games seem to be very one sided, either due to quitting and how easy it is to camp. I can see camping getting out of control with this type of radar and I do not even need to crouch, I can just stand at a corner with a shotgun, shoot, move and repeat. no one would know where I am if I just kept moving after the kill cause radar is useless.

We are basically at the point of just removing it, this version is the, "hey casual fans, we care more about competitive, but because you wanted a radar here you go!" this is a for show radar.

Again, I can see this being in certain ranked playlist, but this is not the radar to keep as the main. Halo should be for everyone, not just competitive players, we don't need radar downgraded just like casual modes cause HCS says so.
Crouch sneaking is dead here, no skill is really needed to sneak up on someone, you can just walk behind them and assassinate them.
Honest question here.

What, exactly, is the difference between being able to walk up behind someone vs crouching up behind someone? Ultimately, it's the same thing, no?

In both scenarios, you're not showing up on the radar except in this instance, you're not having to hold down crouch. The end result is the same - you end up behind someone to back smack them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 35