Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Proving Grounds - Official Feedback Thread

OP Unyshek

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35
The radar definitely changes the gameplay quite a bit... at times it feels like old-school Halo since there is much more incentive not to sprint. Slows the game down a bit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing... Need more time to develop a definitive opinion but I've had some enjoyable matches so far.

One thing I'd like to say though, not related to Proving Grounds entirely... the new Torque variant is FAR and AWAY the best version of the map yet. It plays A LOT better.
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Although I haven't tried out the beta yet, what the beta has to offer sounds very interesting! I would've like to see the beta in the Social playlist for players who don't want to play competitively just for a beta gamemode.
EC Fox wrote:
After playing it, I think the radar should be sprint only. If you can't hear a spartan charge next to you, a ground pound charging above you, or someone shooting next to you, you shouldn't be given their position for free. Stabilize is needed for jumps so I think it shouldn't be included. I like the idea of having something to play mind games with the radar so I think sprint should stay and also to catch one-shotters who shouldn't get away for free. I'm happy with the removal with non-sprint movement showing up as it allows for flanks and the other removals I suggested would help too I think.
I'm partially deaf, so I like the extra help.
RyInfinity wrote:
Proving Grounds FeedbackRadar:
  • Ideally, this Radar should be applied to all playlists that contain "Core" Arena Gameplay: Team Arena, Slayer, FFA, Multi Team, BTB, etc. (Vehicles show on radar), etc. In a perfect world, I'd prefer this radar to exist across the entire game but I could understand the reasoning behind keeping Vanilla Radar in Campaign and Warzone.
No. I don't want the new radar settings to apply to BTB. Vehicles would easily get jacked thanks to the players being invisible by the motion tracker when walking on normal speed. IMO I rather see the settings only applied to ranked playlists.

I have yet to try the Proving Grounds playlist.
I enjoy proving groudns a lot, not because of how it is, but because its like a lesser competitive version of Arena. Keep it.
I never really pay attention to the radar anyway, so I'm pretty indifferent on the radar changes. Although I will say that it seems a lot campier than normal. My main complaint so far is Strongholds on Mercy. I freaking hate it. I don't know why, I just hate it. First game on it, I got slaughtered, so that clearly wasn't enjoyable. Next game was pretty close for the most part and I did fairly decent, but it still wasn't enjoyable. I'm sorry I don't really have anything constructive, it just makes me want to punch a brick wall...with my face.
343! Quit trying to fix what is not broken! First you guys did something that I feel is unforgivable by tampering with the traditional motion sensor and reducing the range (25m to 18m), and this resulted in Halo 5 being random! It's simply a "whoever sees who first will get the kill", that's ridiculous! Both players should be able to know where each other are to ensure they fight at the fairest possible playing field, and this is something that Halo accomplished with the traditional sensor, and you guys fu**ed it up, for no fu**ing reason! AND NOW YOURE TRYING TO TAMPER WITH IT AGAIN? The 25m traditional motion sensor is A PART of Halo, it's one of its most distinguishing features from other FPS's and the fact that you guys are still disrespecting the series by trying to screw with such a core feature sickens me. If ANY change should be made to the motion sensor in Halo 5: Guardians, IT SHOULD BE TO REVERT IT TO THE TRADITIONAL 25M MOTION SENSOR THAT WAS IN EVERY SINGLE HALO BEFORE IT. PERIOD.
I think it's a bit too easy, but also fun.
It's cool how they put the radar back to 25m, but only showing gun fire and Spartan Abilitys makes the game feel less like Halo. In other words, it doesn't work well at all and it takes away from one of the best features of the Halo franchise.
Well said! Thank you!
CoolPR wrote:
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
Poor logic considering when you're crouch-walking, you're still in motion.

Personally, I think the change is great and makes sprinting less prevalent now that people have more options to approach combat. It empowers solo players, which is an issue with default motion tracker because imagine 4 people communicating with radar vs a team of all solo players; the radar doesn't help the solo players as much as it strengthens the teams -- a common misconception is that default motion tracker helps solo players vs teams, but it's actually the other way around. One person on the enemy team sees your red dot, then all their teammates know about your position, whereas when you can just walk normally you have more options than slowlyyyyy crouch-walking.

The disparity between not showing up on radar vs appearing on radar was the difference between that SLOW crouch-walk and sprinting, so there was little reason NOT to sprint around when you're going to appear on the radar anyway. I'm happy for the change and I hope it becomes the standard going forward.
CoolPR wrote:
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
Poor logic considering when you're crouch-walking, you're still in motion.

Personally, I think the change is great and makes sprinting less prevalent now that people have more options to approach combat. It empowers solo players, which is an issue with default motion tracker because imagine 4 people communicating with radar vs a team of all solo players; the radar doesn't help the solo players as much as it strengthens the teams -- a common misconception is that default motion tracker helps solo players vs teams, but it's actually the other way around. One person on the enemy team sees your red dot, then all their teammates know about your position, whereas when you can just walk normally you have more options than slowlyyyyy crouch-walking.

The disparity between not showing up on radar vs appearing on radar was the difference between that SLOW crouch-walk and sprinting, so there was little reason NOT to sprint around when you're going to appear on the radar anyway. I'm happy for the change and I hope it becomes the standard going forward.
You're thinking way too literal, he was actually trying to say that since it's a motion sensor it should be able to effectively pick up motion, meaning the motion of a spartan walking a decent pace & obviously sprinting, since when you're crouch-walking you move so ridiculously slowly, it makes sense why that motion wouldn't show up on a radar, it's believable. Your argument that since crouch-walking is still technically motion so walking shouldn't show up on the radar either even though the amount of motion in between the two is colossal is just showing me that you're blind. Why would those two be treated the same? But anyways, the bottom line is this new pathetic excuse for a motion sensor safeguards campers as well as increases the "whoever sees who first gets the kill" aspect of Halo 5, and that disrespects the very foundation of Halo. I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off. And your anecdote is invalid since the instance you described will never happen in a ranked match in game of the Halo series, an organized team will not face a group of solo players when both have different variants motion sensors. BRING BACK THE TRADITIONAL 25M MOTION SENSOR.
Increasing radar to 25m again is a good idea but not showing walking players on the radar can be quite frustrating. A better idea would be to show spartan abilities within the 25m only as it is now but to also show walking players as well within say 10 or 15 meters
This playlist has been awesome.

Stealthy plays are so much more viable now that you don't have to crouch around- nerfing your movement speed and leaving yourself vulnerable for extended periods of time.

There also seems to be a lot less camping now that people can just hide in a corner and wait for someone to show up on radar. Now, They actually have to look and listen, or communicate with their team, or they might get flanked themselves.

the only issue I have is I've now noticed the FoV is small, never really noticed it before because radar was like having eyes all over my head.

i used to be in the camp that felt the sanctity of crouch walking needs to be preserved by radar, But that mentality just slows the game down and encourages camping. you should have to use your eyes and ears to see you target and you shouldn't have to slow down to a crawl to flank.
CoolPR wrote:
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
Poor logic considering when you're crouch-walking, you're still in motion.

Personally, I think the change is great and makes sprinting less prevalent now that people have more options to approach combat. It empowers solo players, which is an issue with default motion tracker because imagine 4 people communicating with radar vs a team of all solo players; the radar doesn't help the solo players as much as it strengthens the teams -- a common misconception is that default motion tracker helps solo players vs teams, but it's actually the other way around. One person on the enemy team sees your red dot, then all their teammates know about your position, whereas when you can just walk normally you have more options than slowlyyyyy crouch-walking.

The disparity between not showing up on radar vs appearing on radar was the difference between that SLOW crouch-walk and sprinting, so there was little reason NOT to sprint around when you're going to appear on the radar anyway. I'm happy for the change and I hope it becomes the standard going forward.
You're thinking way too literal, he was actually trying to say that since it's a motion sensor it should be able to effectively pick up motion, meaning the motion of a spartan walking a decent pace & obviously sprinting, since when you're crouch-walking you move so ridiculously slowly, it makes sense why that motion wouldn't show up on a radar, it's believable. Your argument that since crouch-walking is still technically motion so walking shouldn't show up on the radar either even though the amount of motion in between the two is colossal is just showing me that you're blind. Why would those two be treated the same? But anyways, the bottom line is this new pathetic excuse for a motion sensor safeguards campers as well as increases the "whoever sees who first gets the kill" aspect of Halo 5, and that disrespects the very foundation of Halo. I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off. And your anecdote is invalid since the instance you described will never happen in a ranked match in game of the Halo series, an organized team will not face a group of solo players when both have different variants motion sensors. BRING BACK THE TRADITIONAL 25M MOTION SENSOR.
I think it's clear as day you rely off radar more than one should.

Here's the thing, the won't work how they're wanting to go work if you make BMS show up on radar, it then makes slowing the pace pointless as people go right back to sprinting, as why use BMS if I'm to be shown anyways? It's more classic this way.

you're also the "blind" one if you think it's a game of who sees who first, the longer ttk negates that and makes it irrelevant and it's quite contradictory of you when you're wanting a 25M radar to see people further away. halo isn't going into the "it's all about who sees who first" till they drop the ttk considerably.

"I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off." you fail to even list why so why would anyone listen to this ramble? It's also a fair trade off, you want speed you show up, you want stealth you have to move slower. You also ignore that 99% of the players airing in this game and don't sit still so it's not like people will constantly just walk up behind people getting beat downs and such, it's also avoided if people communicate, an element people are to good for these days.
Hazefu26 wrote:
Increasing radar to 25m again is a good idea but not showing walking players on the radar can be quite frustrating. A better idea would be to show spartan abilities within the 25m only as it is now but to also show walking players as well within say 10 or 15 meters
This is actually a DECENT compromise, but I would say walking distance should be left at 18m
CoolPR wrote:
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
Poor logic considering when you're crouch-walking, you're still in motion.
Personally, I think the change is great and makes sprinting less prevalent now that people have more options to approach combat. It empowers solo players, which is an issue with default motion tracker because imagine 4 people communicating with radar vs a team of all solo players; the radar doesn't help the solo players as much as it strengthens the teams -- a common misconception is that default motion tracker helps solo players vs teams, but it's actually the other way around. One person on the enemy team sees your red dot, then all their teammates know about your position, whereas when you can just walk normally you have more options than slowlyyyyy crouch-walking.
The disparity between not showing up on radar vs appearing on radar was the difference between that SLOW crouch-walk and sprinting, so there was little reason NOT to sprint around when you're going to appear on the radar anyway. I'm happy for the change and I hope it becomes the standard going forward.
You're thinking way too literal, he was actually trying to say that since it's a motion sensor it should be able to effectively pick up motion, meaning the motion of a spartan walking a decent pace & obviously sprinting, since when you're crouch-walking you move so ridiculously slowly, it makes sense why that motion wouldn't show up on a radar, it's believable. Your argument that since crouch-walking is still technically motion so walking shouldn't show up on the radar either even though the amount of motion in between the two is colossal is just showing me that you're blind. Why would those two be treated the same? But anyways, the bottom line is this new pathetic excuse for a motion sensor safeguards campers as well as increases the "whoever sees who first gets the kill" aspect of Halo 5, and that disrespects the very foundation of Halo. I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off. And your anecdote is invalid since the instance you described will never happen in a ranked match in game of the Halo series, an organized team will not face a group of solo players when both have different variants motion sensors. BRING BACK THE TRADITIONAL 25M MOTION SENSOR.
I think it's clear as day you rely off radar more than one should.
Here's the thing, the won't work how they're wanting to go work if you make BMS show up on radar, it then makes slowing the pace pointless as people go right back to sprinting, as why use BMS if I'm to be shown anyways? It's more classic this way.
you're also the "blind" one if you think it's a game of who sees who first, the longer ttk negates that and makes it irrelevant and it's quite contradictory of you when you're wanting a 25M radar to see people further away. halo isn't going into the "it's all about who sees who first" till they drop the ttk considerably.
"I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off." you fail to even list why so why would anyone listen to this ramble? It's also a fair trade off, you want speed you show up, you want stealth you have to move slower. You also ignore that 99% of the players airing in this game and don't sit still so it's not like people will constantly just walk up behind people getting beat downs and such, it's also avoided if people communicate, an element people are to good for these days.
Come on man, if you're going to try and start a debate with me then you actually have to try to use your brain a bit. First of all, my initial response was FAR from a ramble because I listed my claims AS WELL as appropriate reasoning to support them. You thought you found a fallacy in my argument when I failed to further explain how concealing basic walking movement just buffs walking? It's self explanatory! Since you cannot be seen walking on the radar, it results in walking being more effective, in other words, it BUFFS walking. Come on now, that's just common sense. Secondly, you need to open your eyes if you honestly believe this new radar isn't encouraging the idea of whoever sees who first gets the kill. Simply put, if I get shot at at the side or at my back from an enemy that I had no idea was there because my radar didn't pick up his location LIKE IT SHOULD, how the hell am I supposed to defend myself against him? Whereas with the TRADITIONAL RADAR, I know he's coming, and he knows I'm coming, so we'll both be equally ready to engage in battle and the most skilled will prevail. The simple truth is not everybody has a mic and wants to have to rely on team callouts to have to locate an enemy, especially when there's an IN GAME FEATURE MEANT TO DO JUST THAT. And what the hell? Who are you to decide how much one should rely on the radar? Of course I'll rely on it because it's there to ensure I don't get cheaply killed by an enemy shooting me in my -Yoinking!- back without me knowing he was even there. If you want to play a game where luck decides who gets a kill, go take your -Yoink- to Call of Duty, Halo is not for you.
CoolPR wrote:
I think the only time you should be invisible on radar is if you are crouching. It is a motion sensor.
Poor logic considering when you're crouch-walking, you're still in motion.
Personally, I think the change is great and makes sprinting less prevalent now that people have more options to approach combat. It empowers solo players, which is an issue with default motion tracker because imagine 4 people communicating with radar vs a team of all solo players; the radar doesn't help the solo players as much as it strengthens the teams -- a common misconception is that default motion tracker helps solo players vs teams, but it's actually the other way around. One person on the enemy team sees your red dot, then all their teammates know about your position, whereas when you can just walk normally you have more options than slowlyyyyy crouch-walking.
The disparity between not showing up on radar vs appearing on radar was the difference between that SLOW crouch-walk and sprinting, so there was little reason NOT to sprint around when you're going to appear on the radar anyway. I'm happy for the change and I hope it becomes the standard going forward.
I think it's clear as day you rely off radar more than one should.
Here's the thing, the won't work how they're wanting to go work if you make BMS show up on radar, it then makes slowing the pace pointless as people go right back to sprinting, as why use BMS if I'm to be shown anyways? It's more classic this way.
you're also the "blind" one if you think it's a game of who sees who first, the longer ttk negates that and makes it irrelevant and it's quite contradictory of you when you're wanting a 25M radar to see people further away. halo isn't going into the "it's all about who sees who first" till they drop the ttk considerably.
"I agree that it does technically nerf sprinting, which is needed, but it buffs the hell out of walking, which is not an acceptable trade off." you fail to even list why so why would anyone listen to this ramble? It's also a fair trade off, you want speed you show up, you want stealth you have to move slower. You also ignore that 99% of the players airing in this game and don't sit still so it's not like people will constantly just walk up behind people getting beat downs and such, it's also avoided if people communicate, an element people are to good for these days.
Come on man, if you're going to try and start a debate with me then you actually have to try to use your brain a bit. First of all, my initial response was FAR from a ramble because I listed my claims AS WELL as appropriate reasoning to support them. You thought you found a fallacy in my argument when I failed to further explain how concealing basic walking movement just buffs walking? It's self explanatory! Since you cannot be seen walking on the radar, it results in walking being more effective, in other words, it BUFFS walking. Come on now, that's just common sense. Secondly, you need to open your eyes if you honestly believe this new radar isn't encouraging the idea of whoever sees who first gets the kill. Simply put, if I get shot at at the side or at my back from an enemy that I had no idea was there because my radar didn't pick up his location LIKE IT SHOULD, how the hell am I supposed to defend myself against him? Whereas with the TRADITIONAL RADAR, I know he's coming, and he knows I'm coming, so we'll both be equally ready to engage in battle and the most skilled will prevail. The simple truth is not everybody has a mic and wants to have to rely on team callouts to have to locate an enemy, especially when there's a system IN GAME FEATURE MEANT TO DO JUST THAT. And what the hell? Who are you to decide how much one should rely on the radar? Of course I'll rely on it because it's there to ensure I don't get cheaply killed by an enemy shooting in my -Yoinking!- back without me knowing he was even there. If you want to play a game where luck decides who gets a kill, go take your -Yoink- to Call of Duty, Halo is not for you.
"Walking" not showing up on radar doesn't mean buff, so stop thinking it is when you haven't given a reason and then telling me to use common sense lol. "Common sense" says when you offer a trade off with another mechanic like sprint being shown it's a justified change, again, sprint lets you move fast at the risk of being seen, BMS lets you go around stealth wise at the expense of speed, pros/cons for both so keep that "it's a buff" crap out of here if you won't even look at it every angle possible.

you simply like free information being spoon fed to you, remember when I said you rely off it to much last response? That's the issue you can't get last. People didn't have issues finding out where they got shot from when there was no radar in the MLG/hardcore modes, it was all about actual awareness and paying attention. You're still being ignorant over the radar being who sees who first, your choosing to ignore the long ttk concept of the game and how it has reversals for a reason. You'll only die the way you described if you choose to be unaware. Having radar period leads to snowballing, I prefer they removed it entirely as then you get two nimrods who won't make a move since they see each other in radar, it also rewards information one doesn't earn and quite frankly, there's nothing skillful when you're shown where people are. This test radar at least makes the -Yoink- h5 gameplay a little better, the only reason I even support it a little since it slows pace.

" The simple truth is not everybody has a mic and wants to have to rely on team callouts to have to locate an enemy, especially when there's a system IN GAME FEATURE MEANT TO DO JUST THAT" true, and I'm aware, I also know and understand not everyone's even comfortable talking, still doesn't change the chance this may or may not help out with team callouts, I play with a ore made group anyways tho.

"And what the hell? Who are you to decide how much one should rely on the radar? Of course I'll rely on it because it's there to ensure I don't get cheaply killed by an enemy shooting in my -Yoinking!- back without me knowing he was even there. If you want to play a game where luck decides who gets a kill, go take your -Yoink- to Call of Duty, Halo is not for you." you have an issue if someone says you rely off it to much? As said, it's clear as say you rely off it, you've only proven that further by now. You'll only get killed "cheaply" if you fail to recognize your environment and threats. So I guess I can see why you dislike this radar cuz you aren't able to pay attention. Sorry to say, but luck plays no part in halos skill, I mean, it can, but the radar has nothing to do with skill if you're being spoon fed information as there's much more to it than that, plus. you actually have to predict strategy without a radar buddy.

why the CoD reference? did I make you mad enough you're actually going to use CoD as a scale goat? Nothing better to say? Hell, CoD is better than h5 anyways with the way 343 go about things.
I think a "buff" to walking (if we can call it that) with your gun up is an acceptable trade off, personally i see it more as a "nerf" to sprinting around like a madman and playing like a -Yoink- crouching in a corner with an SMG or Plasma rifle. Movement with your gun at the ready should be the most empowering mode of traversal, thats classic Halo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35