Skip to main content
I have a question regarding ranking (bronze-champion). I've never been ranked above platinum 6, no matter how many games I win during qualifying matches. Ive won 9/10 matches and still come out Platinum 5. I win a match and don't move in progression toward next rank, but I lose and drop down entire tiers. Yesterday I won my last match, even went back and checked last game stats to confirm promotion to Platinum 4, log on today. I'm Platinum 3 with one loss from Platinum 2. My son logs on and he's Diamond 2 after going 5/10 in qualifying. I've been told that it's purely based on victories but that is clearly not the case. Can anyone clarify on what's going on?
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a question regarding ranking (bronze-champion). I've never been ranked above platinum 6....
Ranking FAQ
It’s more about your performance and who you play. You do need to win to go up, but your quality of opponents / wins is going to be what impacts your rank. More kills vs higher ranked players = higher rank.
IGRS wrote:
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a question regarding ranking (bronze-champion). I've never been ranked above platinum 6....
Ranking FAQ
It’s more about your performance and who you play. You do need to win to go up, but your quality of opponents / wins is going to be what impacts your rank. More kills vs higher ranked players = higher rank.
you also get more CSR if you win a game you're predicted to lose, and you lose more if you lose a game you're predicted to win.
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a question regarding ranking (bronze-champion). I've never been ranked above platinum 6, no matter how many games I win during qualifying matches. Ive won 9/10 matches and still come out Platinum 5. I win a match and don't move in progression toward next rank, but I lose and drop down entire tiers. Yesterday I won my last match, even went back and checked last game stats to confirm promotion to Platinum 4, log on today. I'm Platinum 3 with one loss from Platinum 2. My son logs on and he's Diamond 2 after going 5/10 in qualifying. I've been told that it's purely based on victories but that is clearly not the case. Can anyone clarify on what's going on?
You have to be careful, try not to make too many post like these because things not allowed to be said for the same reason. But, I do sympathize, rank lock is infuriating, but on the bright side, True"Skill"2 thinks you are a god in every match you play, kind of a compliment. Hopefully some day you will be allowed to show it.
kmdh69 wrote:
You have to be careful, try not to make too many post like these because things not allowed to be said for the same reason. But, I do sympathize, rank lock is infuriating, but on the bright side, True"Skill"2 thinks you are a god in every match you play, kind of a compliment. Hopefully some day you will be allowed to show it.
There’s not a “rank lock” per se, if you think you’re locked, your CSR is at your current skill level. To raise / lower it, your performance has to change enough to justify it.
thanks for the feedback. Incidentally, does 1G really make a difference, im currently running 100mb?
IGRS wrote:
kmdh69 wrote:
There’s not a “rank lock” per se, if you think you’re locked, your CSR is at your current skill level. To raise / lower it, your performance has to change enough to justify it.
I have a better KDA than so many "champs" in SWAT I just dont group with Gold/Plat players like the smurfs in Onyx/Champ do, if I did much better I think I'd be run out for being god (and that goes for a few other players I know too who do exceptional but cant seem to be allowed to hit Onyx), as it is the only players who have been able to clean house on my team AND me have been people who can see through walls, are using spectators, and/or have aimbot or rapidfire (and on rare occasion when I am decaffinated). Im starting to suspect that I need to spend money on Gold packs before I can hit Onyx.
IGRS wrote:
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a better KDA than so many "champs" in SWAT I just dont group with Gold/Plat players like the smurfs in Onyx/Champ do, if I did much better I think I'd be run out for being god (and that goes for a few other players I know too who do exceptional but cant seem to be allowed to hit Onyx), as it is the only players who have been able to clean house on my team AND me have been people who can see through walls, are using spectators, and/or have aimbot or rapidfire (and on rare occasion when I am decaffinated). Im starting to suspect that I need to spend money on Gold packs before I can hit Onyx.
That’s not how it works, look at the ranking FAQ — Kills per minute is what matters, and the strength of your opponents.
Spending money doesn’t influence rank at all.
IGRS wrote:
IGRS wrote:
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a better KDA than so many "champs" in SWAT I just dont group with Gold/Plat players like the smurfs in Onyx/Champ do, if I did much better I think I'd be run out for being god, as it is the only players who have been able to clean house on my team AND me have been people who can see through walls, are using spectators, and/or have aimbot or rapidfire (and on rare occasion when I am decaffinated). Im starting to suspect that I need to spend money on Gold packs before I can hit Onyx.
That’s not how it works, look at the ranking FAQ — Kills per minute is what matters, and the strength of your opponents.
And yet the only explanation based on information permitted to us is that I am the #1 Champion in terms of my "SkillLevel" but I am inclined not to believe that as I may be good but I dont think im there quite yet, I could pass for the low end of Champ though.
Just my last match I played against 3 cheats who were Champs and Onyx playing with a Silver to take advantage of the system. I lost about a rank losing that joke of a match.
IGRS wrote:
IGRS wrote:
kmdh69 wrote:
I have a better KDA than so many "champs" in SWAT I just dont group with Gold/Plat players like the smurfs in Onyx/Champ do, if I did much better I think I'd be run out for being god, as it is the only players who have been able to clean house on my team AND me have been people who can see through walls, are using spectators, and/or have aimbot or rapidfire (and on rare occasion when I am decaffinated). Im starting to suspect that I need to spend money on Gold packs before I can hit Onyx.
And yet the only explanation based on information permitted to us is that I am the #1 Champion in terms of my "SkillLevel" but I am inclined not to believe that as I may be good but I dont think im there quite yet, I could pass for the low end of Champ though.
Just my last match I played against 3 cheats who were Champs and Onyx playing with a Silver to take advantage of the system. I lost about a rank losing that joke of a match.
Not exactly sure I understand what you’re saying, but you’ll have to consistently beat Onyx/champ players if you want to get to champ. That team you played didn’t cheat..their silver rank player got 1 kills and 8 deaths, and they likely gained very little CSR for the match since they were probably heavily favored to win.

Your change in rank after a game also doesn’t match up to that game — it’s a game behind and also it’s about your MMR vs CSR discrepancy.
I have barely played halo 5 and curiously I finished platinum 4 in doubles, why is that?
I can't really comment on the moving up and down of ranks after placement matches, but I do know that where you end up after placement matches is generally slightly below where you ended up the previous season. For example, if you were Plat 5 and then did fairly well in your placement matches for the next season, you'll probably be ranked Plat 2-4.

I forget the exact reasoning behind this, but I do remember that being the case. So if you feel like you're getting ranked lower than you should be after your placements, that's why.
DoubleSama wrote:
I forget the exact reasoning behind this, but I do remember that being the case. So if you feel like you're getting ranked lower than you should be after your placements, that's why.
People complained they had no reason to "grind" ranks if they were given their ranks outright. So now you start a few below and have to keep playing to keep going.