Can you rank down in matchmaking. From Champion to Onyx, Onyx to Diamond, Diamond to Platinum, Platinum to Gold, Gold to Silver and Silver to Bronze. Or can you only rank up.
Only up, which is bad. They need to learn from League of Legends.
That is what I thought.
No rank-down is done deliberately to prevent people from intentional de-ranking. Your ranks across all play lists will re-set when the current arena season ends. Not sure when that is, but the season cycle is meant to be the release valve for those who are too high, as well as for those who want to start the grind again to see if they can get even higher. I was originally under the impression that an arena season would last one month, but it's beginning to look as if they're going to go a little longer.
On one hand, I can't wait for the ranks to reset. In Team Arena somehow I got ranked into Platinum and I am nowhere near good enough, the mode is completely untenable for me.

On the other hand, redoing the ranking games is going be another 50 games of ball crushing misery.
Seems like this is interesting, I will be back to see new posts soon. ;)
On one hand, I can't wait for the ranks to reset. In Team Arena somehow I got ranked into Platinum and I am nowhere near good enough, the mode is completely untenable for me.

On the other hand, redoing the ranking games is going be another 50 games of ball crushing misery.
This was me in Halo 3, except that there were no seasons and the ranks never re-set. You could rank down over time, but it took forever and the whole experience was just plain soul-crushing. Since then I've refused to play ranked play lists.

Oh, and the key to making sure your next-season experience is not a repeat of this one: don't try so hard in your ten qualifiers. Just take it easy. Really, really easy.

This was me in Halo 3, except that there were no seasons and the ranks never re-set. You could rank down over time, but it took forever and the whole experience was just plain soul-crushing. Since then I've refused to play ranked play lists.

Oh, and the key to making sure your next-season experience is not a repeat of this one: don't try so hard in your ten qualifiers. Just take it easy. Really, really easy.
Don't blame you. I did the Team Arena ranking games first and despite loosing more than half of the games with a 0.5 KDA or worse. I don't have much of a history with Halo games, so I was totally surprised to get ranked at platinum. Maybe my mistake was to do the games on launch night?
Can you rank down in matchmaking. From Champion to Onyx, Onyx to Diamond, Diamond to Platinum, Platinum to Gold, Gold to Silver and Silver to Bronze. Or can you only rank up.
In Onyx and Champion you definetely can.

Don't blame you. I did the Team Arena ranking games first and despite loosing more than half of the games with a 0.5 KDA or worse. I don't have much of a history with Halo games, so I was totally surprised to get ranked at platinum. Maybe my mistake was to do the games on launch night?
Launch night probably wasn't the best time, although the brains behind trueskill claim that it can work with a pool of random players in as little as four games. They're clearly wrong with these assertions, but even if they weren't it's still an incredibly complex system which has many ins and outs that even they don't fully understand. At any rate, I hate suggesting to people that they deliberately tank games in order to manipulate the system, but what else are you supposed to do when the system is so obviously dysfunctional? My hope is that they're watching the data and the player feedback very carefully and that they make some changes to the system over time. Not that there's any consolation in that right now....
No rank-down is done deliberately to prevent people from intentional de-ranking. Your ranks across all play lists will re-set when the current arena season ends. Not sure when that is, but the season cycle is meant to be the release valve for those who are too high, as well as for those who want to start the grind again to see if they can get even higher. I was originally under the impression that an arena season would last one month, but it's beginning to look as if they're going to go a little longer.
A season will be one month, thats what they said. And it isn't reseted yet because actually we are in "Pre-Season 1". That means the Season 1 didn't even started yet. But If i got the informations right, the first season will start this december.
Only up, which is bad. They need to learn from League of Legends.
What is so bad about it? I think it's nice to have some "Safepoints" on ranking up (so you don't fall to the base of ranking System if you Play bad on a day (and you don't Need to lose many games to fall down. (It needed 4 loses for me to fall down Diamond 6-Diamond 3...)

And at least in the biggest rank ( Onyx/Champion) you see how good you exactly are (Onxy#### and if you are high enough you get Champion and if you are losing to much in Champion you fall down to Onyx again.

And at least the ranks are reseted every season (Month) so what is that bad about not derankend the lower ranks?
From what I read it's only seasonal playlists that reset, so rumble rockets, team doubles, temporary playlists. Not the ones set in stone. I could be wrong, but that's what I read from a post a few weeks ago from a dev.
In Onyx and Champion you definetely can.
nope. only in champion
Only way to go down is when it resets
Nadesicle wrote:
From what I read it's only seasonal playlists that reset, so rumble rockets, team doubles, temporary playlists. Not the ones set in stone. I could be wrong, but that's what I read from a post a few weeks ago from a dev.
If this is true then they are gonna have some serious problems on their hands. Way too many people are either already at a rank that's above their skill, and many more are right at the cusp and just don't want to bleed out their eye sockets for every single match they play. Social play lists, whenever they arrive, will relieve some of the pressure. But if they don't offer a routine re-set time frame on all arena play lists then they'll evacuate them as surely and as quickly as Bungie did with the same play lists in Reach. This is what they mean when they say that a failure to learn the lessons of history causes the doom of repetition.
I think there shouldn't be these season reset, but there should be de-ranking I think it's really dumb that there isn't.
Wow I didn't know there was rank reset, I'm pretty upset about this I worked hard for all my onyxes, and now I have to get them again. Why cant we just have the halo 3 rank system back
i went down from diamond rank 2 to rank 1 after losing a game
How many people can be a rank Champion?