Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Rapant Cheating is really ruining Halo 5

OP Sullen Maximus

I know the "1337s" in here are going to just say "get gud scrub" but it's become increasingly apparent that some of us are clearly playing 2 different games. I'm not positive how, but (likely some sort of ping alteration going on) but it's too common now that BTB/ warzone matches will be determined almost entirely by 2-3 people on one side or the other, with questionable crap going down. Sometimes it will be a player that you visibly watch eat a rail gun blast to the face with no damage detected at all, Or a player that you put a tank round at their feet and magically they only lose their shields. Now I can get behind sometimes we get lucky (or unlucky), but lately i'm noticing certain players that are just ALWAYS "lucky" the entire game.

- grenades at their feet, don't even take out their shields,
- a spartan charge to your face just coincidentally instant kills you with full shield with no other damage applied
- sword wielders fly across 20 feet to kill you (yes i'm aware some have longer lock on but this is far for even those)
- scorpion gunner unloads the MG to point of over heating into the face of a spartan sprinting straight at it, only for them to board the tank having not even lost shields.
- perfect guns kills with less rounds than possible with no supporting team mates, gives perfect medal, but you literally get shot 3 times with a magnum or a BR.
- not even variances on these events happening from other players, same 2-3 players that this just constantly happens for. On one match of slayer, i don't think one of the players EVER hit me more than 3 times to a kill with basic weapons.

The worst offense came yesterday though in one of the most heinously obvious modifications I've ever seen in the game. Our team steam rolled another warzone team in the first 3 minutes taking every outpost, and bringing the core down to 50%. However, they managed to cap an outpost, ok no biggie, it's hard to defend 3 structures on the particular map. But then everything turned really shady, really quickly.

Three players in particular, apparently just magically activated god mode.
- wraith magically splatters people, but never begins boost moving until AFTER they are dead
- a player drops onto a full boosting ghost form above with no thruster pack, and boards it instantly doesn't even lose shield
- a player ALWAYS would kill you, long before you could visibly see them in the armory

The banshee though is where things really got stupid.
- despite entire team shooting at it, wouldn't lose shield
- banshee constantly shooting bombs in directions it's not facing at all
- twice, the banshee flung a bomb, started a backflip, stopped the backflip before actually going upside down, and flung another bomb
- killed people behind walls with banshee bombs despite there being NO possible opening to fling a bomb through
- took 3 people in banshees all firing bombs at it and nearly half the team shooting at it to bring it down because hits just didn't seem to connect.

These 3 players went on to account for nearly 100 kills by themselves alone. Naturally, we lost, it's hard to do anything when you have nigh-invincible vehicles that are unboardable, unkillable, and just ruining entire game. We reported all 3 of them but like every other report of "cheating" i'm sure those reports went straight into the M$ trash bin. I wish games like this weren't common, but sadly it seems nearly 1/3 games at least have at least 1-2 players where similarly shady crap occurs.

Now I know what people are going to ask next, "where is the video of all this" which is a great question bringing me to my final point. Of course, when this stuff happens, I want to go back watch the replay of what they did. But the thing common in nearly EVERY GAME where shady crap happens, replay file corruption. It's really almost amusing just HOW CONSISTENT it is. I can go back and watch replays for the last 10 games with no problem, but then the second i have a game where there is a LEGIT reason to go watch, it's gone. It was even more interesting in the game I just mentioned. The replay file actually saved part of the game, right up until the exact moment these "god mode" events started happening. In fact in the early minutes of the game I could watch these 3 players and there was absolutely NOTHING spectacular about their game play.

Before you ask, I'm on a hard line 1gig fiber line with only one other person in the house. Trust me, my connection isn't the issue.
Did you try using the Xbox capture feature instead of replaying the whole thing through H5's Theater? If not, try doing that next time. Depending on your capture settings, you can record anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes of stuff that already happened on your screen.

You can also broadcast your game the whole time through Twitch. Twitch also allows you to save your broadcasts, so you can revisit your stream once you are done. Lots of options here, so you should be able to capture at least one instance of what you're describing.

Speaking for myself, I have not encountered anything like what you described in H5. The game has its list of issues, but cheating by breaking/hacking the game is not something I have come across. That doesn't mean it's not happening, so a video will help.
tuhin94 wrote:
Did you try using the Xbox capture feature instead of replaying the whole thing through H5's Theater? If not, try doing that next time. Depending on your capture settings, you can record anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes of stuff that already happened on your screen.

You can also broadcast your game the whole time through Twitch. Twitch also allows you to save your broadcasts, so you can revisit your stream once you are done. Lots of options here, so you should be able to capture at least one instance of what you're describing.

Speaking for myself, I have not encountered anything like what you described in H5. The game has its list of issues, but cheating by breaking/hacking the game is not something I have come across. That doesn't mean it's not happening, so a video will help.
Yeah I actually was able to capture that once or twice, the problem though is that in heat of the moment, a lot of times you just don't remember, or you have other things on your mind than to try to do that. Unfortunately it's usually the most ridiculous times that i forget because we're trying to throw everything we can at an impossible to kill vehicle. If you want I can show you a video of another instance where a player use the stabilizer jets to shoot me in a ghost, but i shot him dropping him out of the hover, and he landed directly on top of my full speed ghost only to board it.

Also, i don't necessarily think it's hacking, i want to be clear on that. I'm well aware that while it is possible, it's pretty difficult to do. But halo has always included client side calculations in it's hit detection. This is somewhat necessary for just about any fast paced game, but it does open the door to ping and client side manipulation. Even going back to halo 2, they have had issues with people utilizing client side hit calculations to their advantage vs the server. They have made a lot of progress on that since the original "lag switching" days, but I have a feeling the game now has progressed to such a ridiculous speed compared to older versions, that even millisecond delays can have huge impacts on how other players will experience certain aspects.
I know the "1337s" in here are going to just say "get gud scrub" but it's become increasingly apparent that some of us are clearly playing 2 different games. I'm not positive how, but (likely some sort of ping alteration going on) but it's too common now that BTB/ warzone matches will be determined almost entirely by 2-3 people on one side or the other, with questionable crap going down. Sometimes it will be a player that you visibly watch eat a rail gun blast to the face with no damage detected at all, Or a player that you put a tank round at their feet and magically they only lose their shields. Now I can get behind sometimes we get lucky (or unlucky), but lately i'm noticing certain players that are just ALWAYS "lucky" the entire game.

- a spartan charge to your face just coincidentally instant kills you with full shield with no other damage applied
- sword wielders fly across 20 feet to kill you (yes i'm aware some have longer lock on but this is far for even those)
- scorpion gunner unloads the MG to point of over heating into the face of a spartan sprinting straight at it, only for them to board the tank having not even lost shields.
- perfect guns kills with less rounds than possible with no supporting team mates, gives perfect medal, but you literally get shot 3 times with a magnum or a BR.
- not even variances on these events happening from other players, same 2-3 players that this just constantly happens for. On one match of slayer, i don't think one of the players EVER hit me more than 3 times to a kill with basic weapons.

The worst offense came yesterday though in one of the most heinously obvious modifications I've ever seen in the game. Our team steam rolled another warzone team in the first 3 minutes taking every outpost, and bringing the core down to 50%. However, they managed to cap an outpost, ok no biggie, it's hard to defend 3 structures on the particular map. But then everything turned really shady, really quickly.

- wraith magically splatters people, but never begins boost moving until AFTER they are dead
- a player drops onto a full boosting ghost form above with no thruster pack, and boards it instantly doesn't even lose shield
- a player ALWAYS would kill you, long before you could visibly see them in the armory

- twice, the banshee flung a bomb, started a backflip, stopped the backflip before actually going upside down, and flung another bomb
- killed people behind walls with banshee bombs despite there being NO possible opening to fling a bomb through
- took 3 people in banshees all firing bombs at it and nearly half the team shooting at it to bring it down because hits just didn't seem to connect.

These 3 players went on to account for nearly 100 kills by themselves alone. Naturally, we lost, it's hard to do anything when you have nigh-invincible vehicles that are unboardable, unkillable, and just ruining entire game. We reported all 3 of them but like every other report of "cheating" i'm sure those reports went straight into the M$ trash bin. I wish games like this weren't common, but sadly it seems nearly 1/3 games at least have at least 1-2 players where similarly shady crap occurs.

Now I know what people are going to ask next, "where is the video of all this" which is a great question bringing me to my final point. Of course, when this stuff happens, I want to go back watch the replay of what they did. But the thing common in nearly EVERY GAME where shady crap happens, replay file corruption. It's really almost amusing just HOW CONSISTENT it is. I can go back and watch replays for the last 10 games with no problem, but then the second i have a game where there is a LEGIT reason to go watch, it's gone. It was even more interesting in the game I just mentioned. The replay file actually saved part of the game, right up until the exact moment these "god mode" events started happening. In fact in the early minutes of the game I could watch these 3 players and there was absolutely NOTHING spectacular about their game play.

Before you ask, I'm on a hard line 1gig fiber line with only one other person in the house. Trust me, my connection isn't the issue.
Can you share a link of that recent warzone game in your waypoint game history?

It’s very frustrating this Match you have partecipated, sometimes is real, but I hope for the future it doesn’t became another bad match
That all just sounds like network issues honestly. If shots aren't registering thats network, not people cheating.
you can’t hack halo 5 as it’s a server dedicated game
the closest thing to cheating would be rapid fire mods on controllers or lag switches
Upsetts wrote:
the closest thing to cheating would be rapid fire mods on controllers or lag switches
I saw the rapid fire today in a stream.
It’s really bad in SWAT. People will literally use cheats to race into Champion then go inactive and do it on another character. It’s ridiculous.
I have noticed a few things you listed on MCC lately, the biggest one being people killing you after 1 or 2 BR bursts.

Cheaters ruin the game, but would complain if they were permanently banned.

Cheaters are scum bro.
Upsetts wrote:
you can’t hack halo 5 as it’s a server dedicated game
This is simply not true

I'm totally in agreement with you. You get a lot of folks saying you simply cannot cheat they are dedicated servers. As if dedicated servers are impervious or somekind of NSA faraday cage, give me a break. People always find a way to cheat. I've been playing halo for 20 years since the beginning and I DON'T CARE that people say you cannot cheat on our dedicated servers, it's just not true.
Purrkeet wrote:
It’s really bad in SWAT. People will literally use cheats to race into Champion then go inactive and do it on another character. It’s ridiculous.
no wonder i face bs all the time in that playlist. and then when i call those people out they say get good scrub. like bro stop using rapid fire and lag switches.
Purrkeet wrote:
no wonder i face bs all the time in that playlist. and then when i call those people out they say get good scrub. like bro stop using rapid fire and lag switches.
Pretty much