Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Really? Social Arena (Core Play) is gone? >:(

OP PhoenixOfChaos

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Why was the team arena social playlist removed? I don't want to play with half the game mechanics disabled in ranked mode. I just want to play some 4 v 4 Halo 5!

I really hate when they remove the most important playlists!!!
Isn't that new "core" playlist or whatever the same thing as soical arena? 4v4 soical?
LethalQ wrote:
Isn't that new "core" playlist or whatever the same thing as soical arena? 4v4 soical?
That's what I mean. Couldn't think of the exact name. I've edited the title for future readers. :P Why has Core been removed? That's so stupid!
But in the same way they left the list of quick play, in core play it was unbalanced the majority of times.
But in the same way they left the list of quick play, in core play it was unbalanced the majority of times.
What
It's soical...it's not going to be balanced very often since the window for making games is much wider than it would be for a ranked game.
It was removed because the population dropped. Quick play consistently had a better population so that was kept.

Core play was moved to the rotational list.
It was removed because the population dropped. Quick play consistently had a better population so that was kept.

That's unbelievably stupid. Quick Play is literally just slayer. They've effectively removed CTF, Oddball, and Assault from the game. How can they possibly think this is good for the game?

That's unbelievably stupid. Quick Play is literally just slayer. They've effectively removed CTF, Oddball, and Assault from the game. How can they possibly think this is good for the game?
Numbers don't lie. People prefer the Quick Play playlist. You can still play objectives in the Team Arena playlist.

Numbers don't lie. People prefer the Quick Play playlist. You can still play objectives in the Team Arena playlist.
Quick Play is just slayer, which exists in ranked. Team Arena disables half of the game mechanics, so you might as well play Halo 4. Further, the presence of Halo 5 mechanics and a better arsenal of weapons make Core Play distinct from ranked Team Arena. The playlist is literally named "Core Play" because it represents the core aspects of Halo 5 gameplay. To remove it indicates a misunderstanding by the developers about the identity of their own game, which is just sad. It means that we consumers will have to continue dealing with their constant "experimentation" with the game, which drives more people away with each iteration.

Also, how does a low playlist population mean the playlist must be removed? What is lost by keeping it in, and just adding the featured modes? We should have Core Play and Grifball always available. There is absolutely no reason to remove content from the game.

Quick Play is just slayer, which exists in ranked. Team Arena disables half of the game mechanics, so you might as well play Halo 4. Further, the presence of Halo 5 mechanics and a better arsenal of weapons make Core Play distinct from ranked Team Arena. The playlist is literally named "Core Play" because it represents the core aspects of Halo 5 gameplay. To remove it indicates a misunderstanding by the developers about the identity of their own game, which is just sad. It means that we consumers will have to continue dealing with their constant "experimentation" with the game, which drives more people away with each iteration.

Also, how does a low playlist population mean the playlist must be removed? What is lost by keeping it in, and just adding the featured modes? We should have Core Play and Grifball always available. There is absolutely no reason to remove content from the game.
I really don't think there's any "misunderstanding about the identity of their own game" by the devs. They have access to far, FAR more data points than you and I and they don't make decisions like retiring playlists lightly.

The population wasn't there to support Core play regularly so it was moved to rotational. Same for Grifball. And when those playlists pop up in the rotation, the population in them is higher than if they were left in the lineup.

I really don't think there's any "misunderstanding about the identity of their own game" by the devs. They have access to far, FAR more data points than you and I and they don't make decisions like retiring playlists lightly.

The population wasn't there to support Core play regularly so it was moved to rotational. Same for Grifball. And when those playlists pop up in the rotation, the population in them is higher than if they were left in the lineup.
Again, what makes it necessary to remove playlists at all? And I think it is fairly clear that they misunderstand what their game is supposed to be, considering they removed things like Spartan charge from ranked modes. Before that, they experimented with various ranked settings before deciding to give up on Halo 5's unique game mechanics. They keep trying to change things instead of balancing and building upon what exists. Players complain irrationally about Spartan charge, and developers take the easy way out by removing it, rather than embracing the game's unique mechanics and working to improve them.

It's very frustrating to have a game I enjoy so much constantly torn apart to 'make room' for some random flavor of the month. I want to play the game I bought. I don't want to wait a month to enjoy it, just because the developers don't want to attend players who enjoy low-population game modes.

I've never had to wait more than 10 seconds to get into a game of Core Play, while always-on modes like Warzone Assault or Big Team Battle take at least 5 minutes to find a game. So I'm not sure how low population could possibly be a valid reason for playlist removal. If the developers were at all consistent with their apparent criteria, they'd swap warzone assault for something like warzone turbo.
Is there some way that we can petition for Core Play to come back? It was a great way to play with friends of different skill levels in vanilla Halo without having to hope into the random grab bag that is Super Fiesta or the mostly frustrating lack of fun that is Action Sack. Quick Play is great for individuals warming up but doesn't really allow for anything more than one or two people wanting to play actual games.
If it's a ploy to get us to play ranked Arena for the sake of ranked Arena can we get confirmation in that regard?
I agree with you OP, I just read all the things that you wrote and I can say that you have the same ideas than me, I don't know what happen with the community that everyday find a way to get more and more toxic, maybe is the frustration with the game or it's just because the game is very bad in so many ways. Also, my favorite playlists are not longer available to play right now (Halo 3 throwback, Grifball, Classic shotty Snipers, Core play, Warzone turbo) or are unplayable because the lag or the large times of search (SWAT, BTB, Warzone Assault).
I don't know what happen with Halo, I mean, come on! We don't even have an Objective Based Playlist, all what we have is slayer and slayer in so many different ways that is boring... I feel that if I eat an instant soup I'm going to eat slayer! And that is less healthy hahaha
Briskxt wrote:
Is there some way that we can petition for Core Play to come back?
Petitions aren't allowed on Waypoint. The best way to demonstrate that the playlist should return is for it to become popular enough again to warrant its inclusion as a permanent playlists again
stckrboy wrote:
Briskxt wrote:
Petitions aren't allowed on Waypoint. The best way to demonstrate that the playlist should return is for it to become popular enough again to warrant its inclusion as a permanent playlists again
That's difficult to do when the playlist is unavailable. I wish the devs would just read Waypoint.
Do not bump threads or post about forum moderation.

Spoiler:
Show
stckrboy wrote:
Briskxt wrote:
Asking for things in a game that we play and love isn't allowed? We simply have to wait and hope that something we want comes back?
Awesome!
/Sarcasm
It was removed a for a reason - it wasn't popular enough to warrant being permanent. Rotations are generally announced in advance if I'm not mistaken, or there should be details in the Community Updates, so you can plan around getting people to play the playlists you want to see return to a permanent spot. Outside of that, there are plenty of feedback threads in the matchmaking forums. Read back through the Matchmaking feedback topics for details on playlist popularity as Dr. Menke was providing lists during each update
It was my favorite playlist but I guess we just have to play it to warrant its inclusion. Any playlist they remove is going to have a loyal following, but that loud minority doesn't speak for the silent majority. We need to show we are the majority, is all.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2