Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Really? Social Arena (Core Play) is gone? >:(

OP PhoenixOfChaos

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'd like to see Quick Play ditched and the Core Play playlist cleaned up a bit by ditching some game/map combos (looking at you, Plaza Oddball and Stasis CTF). Population would be great, and enjoyable for people who miss Team Arena that don't want to play HCS. If people want to play Slayer there's the Slayer playlist, it's practically a social playlist but with worse maps.
NightClerk wrote:
I'd like to see Quick Play ditched and the Core Play playlist cleaned up a bit by ditching some game/map combos (looking at you, Plaza Oddball and Stasis CTF). Population would be great, and enjoyable for people who miss Team Arena that don't want to play HCS. If people want to play Slayer there's the Slayer playlist, it's practically a social playlist but with worse maps.
Quick Play had a much better retention rate which is why it's staying Core play did not do as well. They aren't going to keep the worse performing list over the better one.
NightClerk wrote:
Quick Play had a much better retention rate which is why it's staying Core play did not do as well. They aren't going to keep the worse performing list over the better one.
Going off the table provided in the MM thread, Core Play was one notch below Quick Play. Core Play was more popular than Team Arena, Doubles, WZ Assault, Elimination, and FFA, all of which are still permanent. So they will keep worse performing playlists than other ones.

I didn't see a definition for retention rates in the MM thread or those rates for Core Play or Quick Play. Do you have those handy so you can share them with us?
NightClerk wrote:
NightClerk wrote:
Going off the table provided in the MM thread, Core Play was one notch below Quick Play. Core Play was more popular than Team Arena, Doubles, WZ Assault, Elimination, and FFA, all of which are still permanent. So they will keep worse performing playlists than other ones.

I didn't see a definition for retention rates in the MM thread or those rates for Core Play or Quick Play. Do you have those handy so you can share them with us?
Core play and quick play were identical offerings. You cannot compare them to lists that serve a different purpose.

The other lists you listed are ones that fit a niche. Core play, while nice, is redundant with Quick play. (Don't get me wrong here, I played Core Play and miss it too but I get why it's moved to rotational.)
NightClerk wrote:
NightClerk wrote:

Core play and quick play were identical offerings. You cannot compare them to lists that serve a different purpose.

The other lists you listed are ones that fit a niche. Core play, while nice, is redundant with Quick play. (Don't get me wrong here, I played Core Play and miss it too but I get why it's moved to rotational.)
Snickerdoodle, first you said Quick Play had a MUCH higher retention rate than Core Play. That doesn't seem to be true since Quick Play was right above it in the most recent list. Then you said Core Play and Quick Play are identical offerings. Could you please explain how two different playlists are identical?
It was removed because the population dropped. Quick play consistently had a better population so that was kept.

Core play was moved to the rotational list.
That's unbelievably stupid. Quick Play is literally just slayer. They've effectively removed CTF, Oddball, and Assault from the game. How can they possibly think this is good for the game?
Numbers don't lie. People prefer the Quick Play playlist. You can still play objectives in the Team Arena playlist.
Also, how does a low playlist population mean the playlist must be removed? What is lost by keeping it in, and just adding the featured modes? We should have Core Play and Grifball always available. There is absolutely no reason to remove content from the game.
There is always a reason to remove content from a game, especially with the population of certain playlists is consistently low. There's no reason to crowd matchmaking with dozens of playlists that almost no one plays hence why playlists are taken out of the rotation
NightClerk wrote:
NightClerk wrote:

Snickerdoodle, first you said Quick Play had a MUCH higher retention rate than Core Play. That doesn't seem to be true since Quick Play was right above it in the most recent list. Then you said Core Play and Quick Play are identical offerings. Could you please explain how two different playlists are identical?
You took the words right out of my mouth. I can think of at least 2 ways they are radically different. Consequently I would argue that Core Play fills a much needed niche.
It was removed because the population dropped. Quick play consistently had a better population so that was kept.

That's unbelievably stupid. Quick Play is literally just slayer. They've effectively removed CTF, Oddball, and Assault from the game. How can they possibly think this is good for the game?
Numbers don't lie. People prefer the Quick Play playlist. You can still play objectives in the Team Arena playlist.
Also, how does a low playlist population mean the playlist must be removed? What is lost by keeping it in, and just adding the featured modes? We should have Core Play and Grifball always available. There is absolutely no reason to remove content from the game.
There is always a reason to remove content from a game, especially with the population of certain playlists is consistently low. There's no reason to crowd matchmaking with dozens of playlists that almost no one plays hence why playlists are taken out of the rotation
There is no reason.
Halo 5 is the only halo who removed playlists for population reason.
Then why did they remove the old arena and not the HCS arena?
Is it to much to ask for them to keep all the playlists permanently? There would be so many I doubt many of us would be bored of them.
Is it to much to ask for them to keep all the playlists permanently? There would be so many I doubt many of us would be bored of them.
The problem becomes population spread. You have too many playlists and you eventually have a number of playlists have have too low a population, players unable to find games. That's why some playlists eventually get relegated to rotational status - it keeps a healthy population in the permanent pool and when the rotations come round they are popular for most of their duration, but that always falls off near the end.
stckrboy wrote:
The problem becomes population spread. You have too many playlists and you eventually have a number of playlists have have too low a population, players unable to find games. That's why some playlists eventually get relegated to rotational status - it keeps a healthy population in the permanent pool and when the rotations come round they are popular for most of their duration, but that always falls off near the end.
Makes sense but I believe the population would overall increase I know quite a few friends who quit the game just because their favorite playlist was removed like action sack.
Makes sense but I believe the population would overall increase I know quite a few friends who quit the game just because their favorite playlist was removed like action sack.
The first post in this thread shows that Action Sack is actually more popular as a rotational playlist than a permanent one. The same is most likely true for other playlists that were normally towards the bottom of the popularity lists which are now rotational.

There is no reason.
I'm sure they had their reasons. Halo 5 isn't the only Halo to remove popular playlists either. Halo 3 did so all the time, especially with the super popular double EXP playlists.
There is no reason.
There's always a reason. Whether they tell us or not is a different story.

They removed playlists in Reach due to low population.

It was explained in the previous Feedback thread.
Quote:
We have long talked about getting back to having only one core 4v4 ranked experience, and the time has finally come. Starting with our next season, we will be moving our final HCS settings over to the Team Arena list and moving the Team Arena list over to a new Social list called Core Play.

The goal is to stop splitting our Ranked audience between two core competitive 4v4 experiences, and in addition make it clear where players transitioning over to Ranked can find the core experience. On the social side, we would like to provide a core 4v4 experience as well, as an obvious option to transition to after Quick Play.
Link.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
There is no reason.
There's always a reason. Whether they tell us or not is a different story.

They removed playlists in Reach due to low population.

It was explained in the previous Feedback thread.
Quote:
We have long talked about getting back to having only one core 4v4 ranked experience, and the time has finally come. Starting with our next season, we will be moving our final HCS settings over to the Team Arena list and moving the Team Arena list over to a new Social list called Core Play.

The goal is to stop splitting our Ranked audience between two core competitive 4v4 experiences, and in addition make it clear where players transitioning over to Ranked can find the core experience. On the social side, we would like to provide a core 4v4 experience as well, as an obvious option to transition to after Quick Play.
Link.
i know but the old arena had more player than the hcs arena, do you get my point? halo reach and halo 3 have more playlist than halo 5
i know but the old arena had more player than the hcs arena, do you get my point? halo reach and halo 3 have more playlist than halo 5
The player difference was likely marginal considering Team Arena was only beating HCS by a couple spots for the majority of the time since the popularity list was shown and it also didn't beat it for the entire time. It could also be related to priorities. The HCS settings are played in the tournaments so naturally people are going to see that playlist as the competitive objective playlist and will want to play them in the game, so it would make more sense to keep that over TA. Also, Core Play (old Arena) isn't removed forever, but they said it would start out as a rotational and then considered for permanent if the population was good.

For Reach, I was just showing you that they did remove playlists in previous games for population. Reach is also several years old from when 343 took over. Maybe they decided to change their strategies for whatever reason between then and now on how to handle low populated playlists.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
The player difference was likely marginal considering Team Arena was only beating HCS by a couple spots for the majority of the time since the popularity list was shown and it also didn't beat it for the entire time. It could also be related to priorities. The HCS settings are played in the tournaments so naturally people are going to see that playlist as the competitive objective playlist and will want to play them in the game, so it would make more sense to keep that over TA. Also, Core Play (old Arena) isn't removed forever, but they said it would start out as a rotational and then considered for permanent if the population was good.

For Reach, I was just showing you that they did remove playlists in previous games for population. Reach is also several years old from when 343 took over. Maybe they decided to change their strategies for whatever reason between then and now on how to handle low populated playlists.
Not marginal,old team arena was in the middle and HCS was in the bottom but how can 343i remove the most competitive playlist used for tournament?
The reason is simple halo 4 and 5 are like CoD/BF, lifespan of 1 or 2 year for that reason 343i don't show the global population
Not marginal,old team arena was in the middle and HCS was in the bottom but how can 343i remove the most competitive playlist used for tournament?

The reason is simple halo 4 and 5 are like CoD/BF, lifespan of 1 or 2 year for that reason 343i don't show the global population
I don't think only being two spots below the middle is a huge difference. We could ask Josh what the numbers were although I doubt he would give us specifics. I don't really understand the second part since they didn't remove it. The playlist used for tournaments is now the Team Arena playlist.

I don't really agree. I highly doubt 343 thought their games were not gonna do well in the long run or even in the short term with H4's case.
LUKEPOWA wrote:

I don't think only being two spots below the middle is a huge difference. We could ask Josh what the numbers were although I doubt he would give us specifics. I don't really understand the second part since they didn't remove it. The playlist used for tournaments is now the Team Arena playlist.

I don't really agree. I highly doubt 343 thought their games were not gonna do well in the long run or even in the short term with H4's case.
italian sarcasm, Halo MCC sold 3 milion games and halo 5 sold 5 milion games (they don't talk anymore about the sales) same as Halo CE
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2