Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Refreshing xbox location

OP AlvinLC

I know this is a random and common question, but how much does where console location factor into who you play against? I'm San Diego based but have a place in Mexico so go down there on weekends and at different times. I don't play very often when there, but it seems like I match with a lot of people from mexico when I'm San Diego.

I've reset my location and still the same. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but not sure if it changes who I match against. To be honest, internet is blazing down there. I'm on gig cable and they have half the latency and at times I feel like latency reversed certain outcomes.

Not sure if anyone can tell where xbox or game servers think I'm at. Any help is appreciated.
What game are you playing: MCC or H5? MCC tells you what server you're on in the loading screen for a match.

It's also worth noting that just because you're matching with people from Mexico doesn't mean you're on servers in Mexico. They could just be on US West servers.
Chimera30 wrote:
What game are you playing: MCC or H5? MCC tells you what server you're on in the loading screen for a match.

It's also worth noting that just because you're matching with people from Mexico doesn't mean you're on servers in Mexico. They could just be on US West servers.
I'm playing halo 5, and to the best of my knowledge there are no servers in Mexico. I believe they use the California and Texas servers mainly. They only reason I bring it up is because they assume Im Mexican, and I don't know why they would do that unless it's showing my location in Mexico.

It could be a combination of things. Proximity to border, fact that I do play using my gamertag in mexico, the main person I play customs with lives in mexico, and search factors. I have a great internet connection, my dl/ul speeds kill anything consumer in Mexico but I can't compete with their latency since almost all of the users have FTTH with latency as low as 12ms.