Riptide - Fall Preview Feedback

OP Forum Team

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Riptide

Please provide feedback on the Team Arena Fall Preview settings in this thread! To read up on the Team Arena Fall Preview playlist and find links to all other dedicated feedback threads, head here.

Over the past few months, we’ve been gathering your feedback on Arena map weapon layouts here on Waypoint, and we’ve made a variety of refresh updates to a select set of Arena map / game type combinations in Team Arena.

For Riptide, the following changes have been made:
  • Adjusted starting spawns to be more equidistant from power weapons
  • Added Active Camouflage to bottom mid
  • Replaced the Hydra with the Plasma Caster
  • Removed the Storm Rifle by Blue Tree House
  • Moved the Storm Rifle in water room to the bottom floor next to the broken water main
  • Removed the Battle Rifle
  • Moved the H2 Battle Rifle to the old Storm Rifle location in the Water Room
  • Replaced DMRs with Recon DMRs
  • Moved the DMR out of Blue Room and placed below stage
  • Removed Suppressor
Thank you! We look forward to hearing your feedback.
Caster has way too much ammo on a cqc map. reduce magazine size.
Halo 2 BR has way too much magnetism to appear in a competitive setting.
Not sure this could play well at the highest level with so many corners and hallways.
Overall much improved over vanilla riptide.
Interesting enough changes to make the map worth giving another shot, but I'd still like to see geometric changes to Riptide.
I like the changes you made. But please PLEASE get rid of the H2:BR! It basically aims it's self and there is almost no point to strafe against it. (And since we're trying to make these maps work for HCS, the H2BR will NEVER work for that).

But honestly I just don't think RIPtide will EVER work for HCS play. :(
Regarding weapons: H2BR needs to go. As said above, it has too much aim assist, and can easily grant you control of the game. The Plasma Caster is too OP on a map like this. too many close engagements, and it's not fun being bombarded as you enter a room. I would remove this weapon and place the Beam Rifle in its spawn. Have a Boltshot in the old Beam Rifle location. I like the Camo in bottom mid. Regarding map geometry: I don't know how much can be done in Forge to change map flow, but something needs to change. Sometimes I feel like the map is a madhouse the way it's set up. Maybe get rid of the grav lift at Water Platform and add a catwalk to the Wind Tunnel hole? I'm honestly not sure what could be changed to help flow. Hope I helped!
I'll keep this short, while adding active camo is definitely a good thing for this map, the map in general is not good for HCS play. The power positions are far too strong, play is too slow, the map promotes heavy camping. Active camo allows a chance and breaking set up but even then, blue and dune control is just too good especially with beam rifle.
The geometry of riptide makes it a terrible map. No amount of weapon/power up balancing will make this segregated close quarters map with limited sight lines fun to play. Once a team controls blue room and sand with a lead, the other team has to push through windtunnel/bottom mid/ or blue treehouse, all of which are terrible choke points. Every member of the winning team can nade or teamshoot these choke points and has plenty of cover to switch out and regain shields as the other is forced to attack from far inferior position. No matter what weapons, or power ups you put on map or where, good teams will set up like this and dominate a lopsided standoff that is neither fun to play or watch.
The map layout just does not work, all the matches I have played so far have been slow matches with one team sitting in Blue Room once again. The plasma caster and camo are useful for trying to clear out the room but overall it is too strong. Perhaps move the Beam Rifle further away from Blue Room or remove it all together
GREAT changes, excited for -Yoink- maps to be made bearable!
If you ask me camo doesn't need to be on this map and tbh it feels like camo is everywhere now. I mean I played Rip Tide and then Plaza back to back, both of which have camo. I just kinda feel burned out on camo maybe it's just me
xFloody wrote:
The map layout just does not work, all the matches I have played so far have been slow matches with one team sitting in Blue Room once again. The plasma caster and camo are useful for trying to clear out the room but overall it is too strong. Perhaps move the Beam Rifle further away from Blue Room or remove it all together
Maybe swap caster and beam spawns that way you'd have to push out for it (beam)
I seriously don't know why so many people are hating on the BR55. I keep seeing the argument that it has "too much magnetism" but I personally don't notice it. I love it's addition to Arena as I rarely play Warzone. Being that it only appears on Riptide and Torque I hope it doesn't go away. I hate the BR85 personally, as it sounds like -Yoink- and has no scope. I would love to see the BR55 on more maps. If it shuts everyone up make the shots on the BR55 register like the inferior BR85 but leave everything else the way it is
I like the changes you made. But please PLEASE get rid of the H2:BR! It basically aims it's self and there is almost no point to strafe against it. (And since we're trying to make these maps work for HCS, the H2BR will NEVER work for that).

But honestly I just don't think RIPtide will EVER work for HCS play. :(
Agreed! I think the H2 BR should be removed from Arena entirely, only to be used in Warzone and custom games. If it has to be in Arena, at least keep it out of the ranked playlists.

I agree with that as well, lol. Riptide isn't a good map for HCS imo. Not sure how the pros feel about it, but my guess is that they feel the same, seeing as most people seem to feel that way. I like it's aesthetics, but I don't like the layout for some reason. Can't put my finger on why...
UnseesuS wrote:
The geometry of riptide makes it a terrible map. No amount of weapon/power up balancing will make this segregated close quarters map with limited sight lines fun to play. Once a team controls blue room and sand with a lead, the other team has to push through windtunnel/bottom mid/ or blue treehouse, all of which are terrible choke points. Every member of the winning team can nade or teamshoot these choke points and has plenty of cover to switch out and regain shields as the other is forced to attack from far inferior position. No matter what weapons, or power ups you put on map or where, good teams will set up like this and dominate a lopsided standoff that is neither fun to play or watch.
Well said! ;)
I seriously don't know why so many people are hating on the BR55. I keep seeing the argument that it has "too much magnetism" but I personally don't notice it. I love it's addition to Arena as I rarely play Warzone. Being that it only appears on Riptide and Torque I hope it doesn't go away. I hate the BR85 personally, as it sounds like -Yoink- and has no scope. I would love to see the BR55 on more maps. If it shuts everyone up make the shots on the BR55 register like the inferior BR85 but leave everything else the way it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG11BbBt05o - H5 BR vs H2 BR comparison

I didn't like the H5 BR's "horns" at first either, but I'm really use to it now, and I actually prefer it. H5 BR sounds great! Definitely worlds better than the H4 BR, lol.
Terrible map to put in Team arena but damn do I love the H2 BR. We should have BR starts like everyone asked for..
This map has bad geometry, with poor flow and awkward fighting spaces. Weapon placement can't fix that, so I don't think this should be in Team Arena. That said, it's an improvement for Team Slayer. These changes get people moving around a little bit more, although it still has really awkward flow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG11BbBt05o - H5 BR vs H2 BR comparison

I didn't like the H5 BR's "horns" at first either, but I'm really use to it now, and I actually prefer it. H5 BR sounds great! Definitely worlds better than the H4 BR, lol.
I can respect your perspective, but no one is gonna sway me on this. The BR85s (cod,cough,cough) reflex sight doesn't do it any justice and offers nominal magnification. Id take the square scope from H4 any day. It may be a step up from the audio in H4 too, but the sound it makes now is still underwhelming at best. Just my opinion, but I'm not impressed with the unnecessary redesign at all.
I honestly feel like regardless of any weapon and spawning changes on this map it will never be competitive. It's ugly to look at and doesn't feel good to play on. There's no flow whatsoever.
The camo and caster were good additions to this map to try to balance it out. This map has been improved the most out of all maps. I don't think many people like it regardless though. Storm rifle needs to be removed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3