Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Seriously -Yoink- smurfing problems wtaf

OP NaClyEU

Amount of smurf/alt accounts i run into on this game is ridiculous, sort it out ffs
The game is 2 years old there's nothing they can really do about it
Actually from my experience, at least in FFA, there seems to be less of them since true skill 2 started.
The smurf problem is here to stay. Its more microsoft, 343 has nothing to do with it, & TS2 is suppose to fix it, or so ive read... Microsoft has allowed you to make unlimited accounts now on your xbox, as opposed to only 3 or 4 like before and you had to pay for extra. It is a nice gesture from microsoft, but like everything, people abuse it for self benefit.
Take out all Trueskill and social would 100% get rid of smurfs. Ranked has had smurfs since H3
NaClyEU wrote:
Amount of smurf/alt accounts i run into on this game is ridiculous, sort it out ffs
Yeah, it kills Ranked for a lot of people. But as long as hyper competitive tryhards exist, they’ll continue to smurf to get that high off facing noobs. Sad, but an inevitability nonetheless.
Reportedly, the new system can detect them within a game or two so it's likely the brand new smurfs which are the problem and that's mainly a MS issue.
Smurfs were few and far between in my first 20 or so games of HCS this season. Seem to be running into quite a few now though. It’s still better than last season, thankfully.
Its a easy problem to fix lots of the current problems are easy for 343 to fix smurfing dont allow a team with a super low ranked player gain mmr or csr trueskill 2.0 two easy fixes 1 get rid of it 2 reset everyone and only let the mvp gain csr and mmr like it is now and forget about the other 3 players on the team they dont matter
Its a easy problem to fix lots of the current problems are easy for 343 to fix smurfing dont allow a team with a super low ranked player gain mmr or csr trueskill 2.0 two easy fixes 1 get rid of it 2 reset everyone and only let the mvp gain csr and mmr like it is now and forget about the other 3 players on the team they dont matter
Wow every single one of those suggestions is terrible. Please read more about trueskill 2.0 and how it actually works before you make blatant claims like that.

First of "smurfing" is purposefully making a new account and playing badly in order to match people of worse skill. Most people make "alternative" accounts, which means they made a secondary account to play the same skill level of people they normally do, but now they are anonymous or not risking k/d win loss and other stats on their main.

By not allowing anyone of a low level to gain csr/mmr you would screw over any new players and make it so that the system cannot understand their skill level making their matches be unbalanced. Additionally, what is a high enough level to get csr for you? Level 10, 30, 50 please outline these details in so called easy to fix problems.

Getting rid of trueskill 2 would be disasterous as we would be left with trueskill 1 which was quantifiably a worse system that make more lopsided matches and could not ascertain the skill level of new players as fast. Trueskill 1 is why we have 10 placement games before you get ranked. Trueskill 2 knows your skill level within 2-4 games. Therefore by getting rid of trueskill 2 the Smurfs and alt accounts would get worse since they would be easier to exploit.

Now on to your point of only giving csr to the top player of each team. You should not be rewarded for losing. That is not a healthy ranking system and promotes people to actually screw over your teammates instead of trying to win. In your fix if I was playing truth ctf and I was down 2 caps I would just fly out of my base each life trying to get kills and never go for the enemy flag since I would have a better chance of ranking up by going for kills and doing the "best". Halo 4's 50 ranking system worked like this where the top 4 players in each lobby went up in rank or stayed the same while the bottom four went down or stayed the same. That doesn't promote winning or teamplay and instead is just who has the best aim. Imagine how many people would team kill their teammates for power weapons or just to make them do "worse". If you are tired of having bad teammates start playing in a team of 4.
How do people know for sure they are running into a smurf? Also what if you have to be SR10 before you can enter ranked? That way you have to play some of the game and level up and would probably be more work than a lot of the so called smurfs are willing to put in.
How do people know for sure they are running into a smurf? Also what if you have to be SR10 before you can enter ranked?
Most legitimate new accounts don't play like an onyx skilled player. Sometimes they'll suck, but the good smurfs stand out like a sore thumb. Having rank restrictions is one solution although I think level ten would be too low, but it's probably not ideal with this game considering it already has low population issues.
Usually the smurf accounts are Champion, Onyx or Diamond with a level between 1 and 50, and with also less than 300G...
How do people know for sure they are running into a smurf? Also what if you have to be SR10 before you can enter ranked? That way you have to play some of the game and level up and would probably be more work than a lot of the so called smurfs are willing to put in.
Stop blaming 343. Until Microsoft does something about people being able to make endless accounts there is nothing 343 can do to stop it.
QX wrote:
Wow every single one of those suggestions is terrible. Please read more about trueskill 2.0 and how it actually works before you make blatant claims like that.

First of "smurfing" is purposefully making a new account and playing badly in order to match people of worse skill. Most people make "alternative" accounts, which means they made a secondary account to play the same skill level of people they normally do, but now they are anonymous or not risking k/d win loss and other stats on their main.

By not allowing anyone of a low level to gain csr/mmr you would screw over any new players and make it so that the system cannot understand their skill level making their matches be unbalanced. Additionally, what is a high enough level to get csr for you? Level 10, 30, 50 please outline these details in so called easy to fix problems.

Getting rid of trueskill 2 would be disasterous as we would be left with trueskill 1 which was quantifiably a worse system that make more lopsided matches and could not ascertain the skill level of new players as fast. Trueskill 1 is why we have 10 placement games before you get ranked. Trueskill 2 knows your skill level within 2-4 games. Therefore by getting rid of trueskill 2 the Smurfs and alt accounts would get worse since they would be easier to exploit.

Now on to your point of only giving csr to the top player of each team. You should not be rewarded for losing. That is not a healthy ranking system and promotes people to actually screw over your teammates instead of trying to win. In your fix if I was playing truth ctf and I was down 2 caps I would just fly out of my base each life trying to get kills and never go for the enemy flag since I would have a better chance of ranking up by going for kills and doing the "best". Halo 4's 50 ranking system worked like this where the top 4 players in each lobby went up in rank or stayed the same while the bottom four went down or stayed the same. That doesn't promote winning or teamplay and instead is just who has the best aim. Imagine how many people would team kill their teammates for power weapons or just to make them do "worse". If you are tired of having bad teammates start playing in a team of 4.
I dont like true skill 2.0 or the way it came about and how long it took 343 to catch the csr problem after 2.5 years we dont need the ranking system changed we need new maps playlists something to make halo 5 more intersting and less stale and they can do lots to help with smurfing limit the mmr csr between teammates make it so you have to be a xp rank 10 before you can play ranked games and so on
QX wrote:

I dont like true skill 2.0 or the way it came about and how long it took 343 to catch the csr problem after 2.5 years we dont need the ranking system changed we need new maps playlists something to make halo 5 more intersting and less stale and they can do lots to help with smurfing limit the mmr csr between teammates make it so you have to be a xp rank 10 before you can play ranked games and so on
Trueskill 2.0 is a refined upgrade of trueskill 1.0. I fail to see how you like the old system better since it is a downgrade of the current one. I mean the only way they were able to catch the csr issue is because of 2.0 which came out recently, that's why it took 3 years.

Hcs just got 3 new maps (albeit not the best competitive ones but still a nice refresh to the playlist). Breakout recently had a entire playlist refresh. Hcs ffa was added early this year. There are two rotational social playlists that include some of the most popular choices. In all honestly currently there is more variety in playlists and maps than there has been in a while. Look halo 5 is a 3 year old game. It's going to get stale, I wish it didn't but that's how these things work. Unfortunately infinite probably isn't going to be out for a while.

Again with trueskill 2.0 they can correctly ascertain a "Smurf"'s mmr within 2 to 3 games, again an upgrade of 1.0, so in there should be no real issue with having alternate accounts. 99% of them are playing people at their correct skill level.