Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Should Sprint/Flinch stay in the Halo series?

OP GH057ayame

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 40
1401 votes total right now...

I think Ghost, Ninja, and Saucey should do a 2 hour long discussion video regarding this sprint/flinch on youtube if the vote totals reaches 2000 :)

P.S.
I really enjoy it when you guys do long discussion videos on youtube :)
I want to play the game I fell in love with, classic halo, no sprint, no flinch, no AAs. If I wanted to play a class based shooter with sprint I would play COD. But I want to play Halo.
If the maps aren't made with sprint in mind (aka smaller maps), moving from point A to B will not be a problem. Also the whole "Spartans should be able to sprint because they're badass spartans" argument is something that doesn't really make sense.

The multiplayer shouldn't be about realism to the game's characters, it's about making it as fun as possible. If adding something ridiculous like spartans being able to cast spells on other players is fun, then it is not a bad idea. Although that example obviously is terrible.
Both don't belong in Halo, ever. But if I had to choose one I would get rid of flinching and add descoping. IMO it wrecks the gameplay far more than sprint does.
Flinch doesn't belong here, take it out!
flinch and sprint just dont belong in Halo. Bring descope back also.
I've been playing Halo since Halo 2 and I strongly believe flinch should be removed from Halo 4 and the old ways (getting scoped out) should be brought back. Flinch drops the skill gap too much, making the game not as fun.

As for sprint, I'd like to see it gone as well. However, I know a lot of the new community likes it so I'm okay with leaving it in. If I had to choose between replacing flinch with zooming out or taking out sprint, I would definitely remove flinch.
Quote:
Quote:
Cheap? They took precise timing and practice to master. They added a lot more depth to the game.
I would have to agree to this one, no different then a complex combo in a fighting game. Yes, everyone can do it but the good players master it.
The problem with this comparison is that in a fighting game, you had to land each bow in order to follow up. No different then making sure you land each shot without missing. Glitches (called so because they caused errors in the code) unbalanced the game. There is no reason why a single player should be able to lone wolf an entire team unless they possess a power weapon. The magnetism didn't help either, since you didn't have to be dead-on accurate to hit someone.

On topic: sprint/flinch for customs only.
No sprint and discope and button combo wiht spectator mode thats dream halo
I feel Sprint should stay, but flinch removed. Sprint has become a bit of a standard since Reach and I don't think it has any plans of changing. As far as the whole map issue, I'm not so certain where to stand on that. The only map(s) I've seen completely broken with Sprint are Narrows, and other remakes from HALO 3. I also think that the problem lies in everyone's mindset. From what I've seen, a lot of people would prefer a re-released Halo 2, than a new Halo game. I disagree. Halo is taking steps to try and make the game fun to a wider group; however most of the people who share their opinions are in the competitive scene. Take for example that "community visit" a few weeks ago. Not one casual name was on that list; all pro or competitive. As a result, Halo 4 as a whole is losing that hybrid feel (social/ranked) but now becoming purely ranked/competitive. It's pretty much bringing that notion back of "I'm a 50, I know what's best for this game." But now I'm going off on a tangent. Returning to the main point, Sprint is not perfect but it definitly allows for faster kill times. Flinch, I'd rather see it removed but I don't really care either way.
Quote:
I think de-scope is a necessary mechanic, but sprint can go either way for competitive play, so long as the maps are specifically designed for one or the other. While no sprint feels nice, we can't just keep on trying to replicate Halo 2 and 3 forever, and I think it is possible to design maps which play just as well as past maps did without sprint.
Why can't we stick to the formula that Halo CE-3 have perfected we've seen what happens when Bungie/343 tried to change Halo isn't too something it isn't with both Reach/4.

They had a massive population drop compare that to Halo 3 which consistently had over 100k players on daily in it's prime.

Why would they keep going down this path when it should be clear most Halo fans don't not like the direction that Reach/4 are going in.
both sprint and flinch should get taken out i think.

halo 1, 2 and 3 were popular and succesful, and i think cuz of the simple gameplay and the amount of SKILL you needed, and teamwork. you basically had to think were you were going and there were no random stuff that could make a player in a bad spot get out from that situation which shouldve been a kill for the player with advantage.

reach was not succesful, cuz it added stuff that didnt belong in halo. this whole talk with games need to evolve, thats true but that doesnt mean add in a bunch of stuff that adds randomness and frustration to the game

im not gonna go into too much here but just look at halo 1 2 and 3 and why they were succesfull and reach and 4 werent.

go back to the roots of halo.
Could take them both out and I wouldn't care. I only use sprint to get to weapon spawns and in slayer pro so I don't get assassinated. Slayer Pro would be much more enjoyable without sprint. And taking away Flinch would just add more skill to the game.
I want flinch gone and descoping back in.

I want sprint gone.
Sprint is ok. Flinch MUST go.
I played Halo 2 with a friend the other day. A couple of games turned into a couple of hours. It all comes down to the core mechanics of gameplay. Halo's basic gameplay was what made it so much fun in the past. It was balanced. In order to save Halo, my opinion is that 343 needs to remember we liked it because it was an arena shooter -- not a class based game. When people went the midnight release for this game, could it be because they wanted a sequel to Halo 3? No one wanted Reach 2. If the gameplay had captured peoples' attention like in the previous games, we'd be arguing about how to get better at the game instead of how to make the game actually fun again. Sprint simply feels wrong in a Halo game. I'd rather just have increased base movement speed. Flinch... I see no merit to this mechanic whatsoever. It's realistic... in a sci-fi shooter where we're battling ancient aliens? I don't want realism; I want balance. Just my 2 cents. Nice post. Thanks Ghost.
Quote:
Quote:
Cheap? They took precise timing and practice to master. They added a lot more depth to the game.
Apparently glitches that are not meant to be in a game adds more depth to it. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. That's like saying you hated every halo game up to this point that doesn't have button combos.
They most certainly added more depth to the game. Whether intentional or not, anything that gives you more options to win a battle adds depth to gameplay. If you're caught off guard, someone has two shots on you already, and you can preform a pretty difficult quadshot and still kill them, something that creates a very distinct skill gap (Even thought it wasn't purposely put into the game), that is more depth. In the same situation in Halo 3, the option to quadshot is completely removed, and players (even the skilled ones) have to either run or die unless they can team shot the enemy or land a good nade and take them down before the enemy hits the last two shots, all of which were options in Halo 2 as well.

Lets looks at like this. Same situation, lets compare the options between games.

Halo 2: Run, die, teamshot, double/quadshot, BXR/BXB (if the enemy is close), out strafe and kill, stick, nade and kill.

Halo 3: Run, die, teamshot, out strafe and kill, stick, nade and kill.

Less options in battle = less depth in gameplay.

A major part of competitive Halo has always been in depth gameplay. Events players are able to control that separate the more skilled players from the less skilled players. Things like influencing spawns, controlling power weapons, timing power ups, trick jumps, and even button combos.

As Halo has progressed, however, a lot of options have been replaced with things that, while they are still options, are much easier to do and reduce the skill gap. Not much use in trick jumping up to rockets when you can just jetpack your way up there. not much use in controlling the power weapons on the map when you can just wait for your ordnance.

I know this is going into a different tangent now, so I'm going to stop.
I am pretty set on removing both sprint and flinch. I also agree that de-scope needs to return. Am I going for that "classic Halo feel?" Of course I am! I wouldn't play Halo if it was anything but, and that's why I barely play Halo 4 now.

As far as the realism goes, who the hell cares, honestly? Not everything needs to fit into the lore. I'll take good gameplay over good storytelling any day of the week. Even Wednesday.
i loved how halo 2 played and i'm sure that everyone loved it too... i really don't know why the people at 343 don't understand how to make changes... it's not so difficult, it's all about the core of the game... and flinch and sprint modify too much the core of the game, as dmr would... but for example hardlight shield and light rifle wouldn't... because the light rifle is not so different from br and actually requires skill... ordinances totally ruin the game for example... extraction for example works good... it's the core of the game that has not to change... if one goes to play halo 3 and then halo 4 may think: wait what? what the -Yoink- happened?
Not trying to get off-topic, but if you think button combos were easy to use (dub-shotting especially), you are either some kind of Halo prodigy or didn't play H2 enough to know how much skill it took. Knowing how to dub-shot isn't difficult; to do it effectively in battle takes a great deal of practice and skill. Most people who were novice at the glitches died attempting to perform them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 40