Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

[Locked] Should Sprint/Flinch stay in the Halo series?

OP GH057ayame

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...
  9. 40
I don't like these poll options. I would never say sprint belongs in Halo, as if to say sprint was needed before. Sprint in Halo 4 is fairly harmless in more casual play(and should be removed for competitive play) which is why I wouldn't mind having it in Halo 5/6 provided it is an OPTION.

Sprint can stay as long as it is optional, but it doesn't 'belong'.

Flinch however, definitely doesn't 'belong' and should be replaced by descope in Halo 5 and 6. That said it is impractical for 343 to try and bring back descope in Halo 4.
I voted no to both.

Removing both descoping and flag juggling, whilst implementing sprint and flinch were the worst things to happen to this series, ever.

The unpopularity of this titles multiplayer speaks for itself, don't mess with the core mechanics of what makes this title unique!!

And although no sprint wouldn't work in the other playlists I definitely think ghost should pressure 343 to implement it into throwdown. 120% movement speed on modded settings with a 4sk BR plays beautifully, lets at least make this game as playable as we can till the next title is out.
i think flinch and sprint should be gone

i miss classic halo :/
just make the competitive playlist without AA's like frankie said h4 will be and never happened, and the normal playlist keep sprint and AA's. cant nobody in 343 think this idea is the simplest of solutions .
Keep sprint in AS AN OPTIONAL TRAIT on gametype settings.

Flinch on the other hand... I couldn't care less. Send it to the chopping block.
If Bravo, Ghost, and the devs at 343 want to be responsible for finally completely killing Halo, keep them. Ruin a series just because of your perception of what people want and a few playtesters. Sprint doesn't work in Halo, the kill times are too slow, this isn't call of duty for the last time.

Please, please just give the community Halo back. Sprint takes tension out of games. Makes map movement nonsensical. Can't predict where players are going. Removes skill. Destroys map design (see all of reaches and Halo 4's TERRIBLE maps). Rewards stupid plays. Adds randomness.

Increase base player movement back to H3 and remove the garbage, unless you want the series to die off. Check out Halo charts.com if you have any questions left in your mind about the effects of sprint. Peak concurrent population is now below 30K on weekends!!!!! Unbelievable for Halo. You can do better than that 343i, you don't have to fail.
Quote:
If Bravo, Ghost, and the devs at 343 want to be responsible for finally completely killing Halo, keep them. Ruin a series just because of your perception of what people want and a few playtesters. Sprint doesn't work in Halo, the kill times are too slow, this isn't call of duty for the last time.

Please, please just give the community Halo back. Sprint takes tension out of games. Makes map movement nonsensical. Can't predict where players are going. Removes skill. Destroys map design (see all of reaches and Halo 4's TERRIBLE maps). Rewards stupid plays. Adds randomness.

Increase base player movement back to H3 and remove the garbage, unless you want the series to die off. Check out Halo charts.com if you have any questions left in your mind about the effects of sprint. Peak concurrent population is now below 30K on weekends!!!!! Unbelievable for Halo. You can do better than that 343i, you don't have to fail.
My sentiments exactly.
I would like to see a similar poll about the inclusion of the plasma pistol and grenades as standard in BtB load-outs.

Removing sprint, flinch, and the plasma's from BtB would make this game perfect to me.

Oh yeah, and lose Slayer Pro from the Slayer Infinity playlists...this was a terrible decision a few weeks ago.
Sprint is fine. I think in all honesty the ability that needs to go is Jetpack. Always getting the height advantage, flying on top of maps and into spots no one else can get to, and they can avoid any kind of explosive damage and rain grenades down. Horrible for matchmaking.

Flinch is for the birds. Bring back descoping. Enough said.
Ghost,

First off, thanks for all the work you are doing. We may not always act like it, but we appreciate your responsible and mature approach. You seem to understand the opportunities and limitations of your position and use them well. As a fan and competitor in the competitive community since 2004, I'm glad you are leading the charge and I want to encourage you to fight the good fight. No matter how salty we may be, we're pulling for you man. Thank you!

Okay, enough Kumbaya stuff. To the question.

Sprint: I don't love it, but I think 343i added mechanics that make it balanced. The question for me is, why is it here? What are the reasons? If there aren't good gameplay or lore based reasons for including it, sprint should probably be removed. I don't think the success of other console FPS games that include sprint should influence the mechanics of Halo. It is okay for Halo to be a different game. If sprint is going to stay, it needs solid gameplay reasons for why it is a good mechanic to include. As it is now, I'll live with it, but i don't think it's necessary.

Flinch: I think flinch should be removed. It does not reward skill, but instead increases randomness and removes control from the player. A moderately-skilled sniper with a good connection has no good counters, regardless of the skill of his/her opponent. At the highest levels of play, a Snipedown or a Formal can completely dominate a game unopposed because there is no way to suppress them. Flinch removes the ability to suppress a sniper and also removes the reward for becoming skilled with the weapon under fire, especially when the sniper has host. Secondly, I think that it is not a good mechanic balance-wise, because it takes control out of the players' hands. At the most abstract level, the player is in control of only 2 variables during play: their position on the map and where they are looking/aiming. Flinch removes one of those variables from the player's control when under fire. I think this is a balance mistake. You want to make an advantage require a high skill level to benefit from, rather than delivering the benefits and then adding penalties. Think about it this way, if being scoped in is an advantage, de-scoping under fire removes that advantage, while keeping the playing field level for the players and leaving them in control. On the other hand, flinch does not remove this advantage, leaving the player still scoped in, but instead introduces and additional randomized penalty that removes control from the player with the advantage. This seems like it adds an unnecessary level of complexity to gameplay balance in this situation, while also introducing randomness and removing control from the player. It seems to me that, with flinch, player skill matters significantly less than with de-scoping. IMO, player skill should be the major determining factor in balancing a competitive game.
I greatly dislike Flinch, as it adds a random factor to long range combat and it is very noobfriendly, and too sniper friendly. Descope had much greater skillgap and it was more intense to play with.

However, as Ninja said, I imagine that 343i would need to devote more time and work to reintroducing descope to the game than you would at first think. Ninja said 343i said it would need a title update, and I myself suspect that a rebalance of the sandbox would be in order as well. For example, descope is a great nerf to the light rifle, while the carbine will actually become better because the fast RoF makes it easier to keep enemies out of their scope.

Nevertheless, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the reintroduction of descope in this game or the next, because it is one of the few remaining things that stand between current H4 Team Throwdown and a hyper competitive game.

I dislike sprint, and I prefer small maps with fast default movement speeds... But Halo 4 has designed the game much better around sprint than Reach did, so it isn't that bad anymore. No sprint still has a larger skill gap than sprint, but sprint gametypes are now pretty competitive as well. Against my own common sense, I wouldn't mind sprint staying with Halo for the other installments. But we at least should be given the option to create no-sprint gametypes.

PS: Funny how OGhostayame basically posted the same Poll as I did about a week ago, and his poll got 1500 votes within a day, and I've only got 30 in a full week. Ghostayame deserves to be listened to though, so I don't mind :)
Quote:
PS: Funny how OGhostayame basically posted the same Poll as I did about a week ago, and his poll got 1500 votes within a day, and I've only got 30 in a full week. Ghostayame deserves to be listened to though, so I don't mind :)
I believe Ghost and co have been spreading the word and link to the thread across several different communities to get as much input as possible which explains the very large number of voters. :)
I think both traits should go. A suggestion for something to change; lower the footstep volume to Halo 2/3. It's so loud in Halo 4.
I agree with a lot of the other posts. Personally I prefer smaller maps, and sprint lends itself to becoming run at someone and double beat them down.

Going back to halo 3 the other week though, the game felt very slow without sprint, so can see a reason to keep it in play though.

I am not a big fan of flinch, like someone else said, it feels a bit too "random". I wouldn't mind it so much, if it had the same constant affect that de-scoping had it wouldn't be too bad.

If de-scope was re introduced, and flinch removed, I could live with sprint, as now it feels to be the norm.
For the love of god please take out descoping. I think sprint should stay in because of the way Halo 4 is made it just fits and it also causes you to sprint at the right times which makes for a great skill gap. You could be sprinting blue street on haven extraction and a guy spawns bottom closed, he moves up closed and catches you mid sprint you're gonna have a bad time. It just in certain situations sprint is needed like getting a clutch flag/extraction stop. My point being sprint is a good tool if used right but it can also be you're demise.
The results are interesting. I would like to see similar polls on other big subjects too such as:

Ordinance or the classic weapon spawning system

Loadouts, yes or no

I find the two listed above more important than Sprint and Flinch but that's just my opinion
I personally like the Sprinting mechanic but Flinch I do not think it's part of Halo as Descoping was the reason why Sniping was a bit harder.
Who is this ghostayame guy? Does he have power in 343?
He is good friends with some of the people in 343. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a job there sometime down the line though. He is very active in the Halo competitive community and made the settings for the Team Throwdown playlist.
Quote:
I don't like these poll options. I would never say sprint belongs in Halo, as if to say sprint was needed before. Sprint in Halo 4 is fairly harmless in more casual play(and should be removed for competitive play) which is why I wouldn't mind having it in Halo 5/6 provided it is an OPTION.

Sprint can stay as long as it is optional, but it doesn't 'belong'.

Flinch however, definitely doesn't 'belong' and should be replaced by descope in Halo 5 and 6. That said it is impractical for 343 to try and bring back descope in Halo 4.
An option sounds good in sense but heres the problem. If you dont take sprint out, then 343 will design all the maps for sprint, so your left with only forge maps on which you can play no sprint game types (which is pretty much what the Throwdown playlist has done).

They should design the game around NO SPRINT, but give people the option to sprint in customs.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...
  9. 40