Forums / Community / Matchmaking Feedback & Discussion

Teammates need to be your skill level

OP EdgelessHippo89

Every game I play I always get some garbage teammates. I had just played about 10 matches or so and had to carry in every game. On average my other three teammates has gotten about 3-7 kills I had dropped at least 20-30 kills each match. The other team would have top guy going 15 kills each. I can’t handle this B.S 343 pls fix.
If there were enough people playing at your level to fill both teams who were on at the same time and not already in a match, then the game would do that. But that sort of match can’t be made in a timely manner so it does the best it can with who’s available. Sometimes that means high skill players will be paired with lower skilled players to average out the skill.
Troll thread? Service record does not match complaint.
Every game I play I always get some garbage teammates. I had just played about 10 matches or so and had to carry in every game. On average my other three teammates has gotten about 3-7 kills I had dropped at least 20-30 kills each match. The other team would have top guy going 15 kills each. I can’t handle this B.S 343 pls fix.
You haven't played since August 2018 and are only in Silver.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Chimera30 wrote:
If there were enough people playing at your level to fill both teams who were on at the same time and not already in a match, then the game would do that. But that sort of match can’t be made in a timely manner so it does the best it can with who’s available. Sometimes that means high skill players will be paired with lower skilled players to average out the skill.
High skilled players paired with lower skilled ones on the same team kinda made my friends give up on h5. Made ranking up impossible because you can do great but you get absolute jokes of teammates that drag the team down. Pls don’t do this in infinite. Buddy’s are onyx and champ btw
skewer647 wrote:
Made ranking up impossible because you can do great but you get absolute jokes of teammates that drag the team down.
You can still have your MMR go up if you exceeded the system's expectations of what it thought you would get despite losing the game.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
skewer647 wrote:
Made ranking up impossible because you can do great but you get absolute jokes of teammates that drag the team down.
You can still have your MMR go up if you exceeded the system's expectations of what it thought you would get despite losing the game.
There’s no getting around forcing you to carry your teammates. And playing with a team =lower mmr gain
Actually, the game is really bad about matching proportionately. I consistently play solo and I ALWAYS get teammates that can barely move and shoot at the same time, let alone play the game at any sort of competitive level, and I always end up matching against other teams (BTB). Skill levels definitely are probably right at about 60/40 based off the way the system thinks, but it doesn't ever work out that way.

the system doesn't take into account at higher skills that teams will steamroll randoms in nearly every scenario, and that's what happens, nearly every match. So many more blowouts now than it was before, and so much more harsh against solo players. What's worse? If I even team up with 2 or 3 other people I can NEVER find a match, but I'll be damned, everytime I search solo I will ALWAYS run into these higher tiered teams, again, with randoms that just can never compete.

I don't have a problem with playing teams, but come on, give me enough decent teammates that actually has them fighting for their victories.
Actually, the game is really bad about matching proportionately. I consistently play solo and I ALWAYS get teammates that can barely move and shoot at the same time, let alone play the game at any sort of competitive level, and I always end up matching against other teams (BTB). Skill levels definitely are probably right at about 60/40 based off the way the system thinks, but it doesn't ever work out that way.

the system doesn't take into account at higher skills that teams will steamroll randoms in nearly every scenario, and that's what happens, nearly every match. So many more blowouts now than it was before, and so much more harsh against solo players. What's worse? If I even team up with 2 or 3 other people I can NEVER find a match, but I'll be damned, everytime I search solo I will ALWAYS run into these higher tiered teams, again, with randoms that just can never compete.

I don't have a problem with playing teams, but come on, give me enough decent teammates that actually has them fighting for their victories.
It’s not popular but bring a low level friend with you and have him lead so it’s based off his mmr, find games faster
skewer647 wrote:

It’s not popular but bring a low level friend with you and have him lead so it’s based off his mmr, find games faster
That's the thing, all my friends are my MMR skill, and I don't like smurphs or smurphing (plus, it's bannable). So it really doesn't work out. There just needs to be some sort of handler for knowing at certain MMR levels that the actual skill between MMR ratings becomes not so much about physical skill but rather teams and teamwork. So the people I play know what to do and how to play well, but my MMR is usually the same general area as there's and maybe higher, which is why my teammates are usually the type to drop -10 or worse every match they pair with me.
the system doesn't take into account at higher skills that teams will steamroll randoms in nearly every scenario, and that's what happens, nearly every match.
Actually, the system does take team advantage into account. For a partied-up fireteam, the system assumes their average skill is higher than it actually is to account for team advantage. What I mean is, let's say you have 2 teams of equal MMR: Team A is in a party, Team B was randomly matched together. The system will treat Team A as if it's team MMR is actually higher (can't remember the value, it might be 10%) to account for the inherent advantage present from playing in a party, and this will be reflected in the matchmaking.

If you're consistently getting matched against teams when searching solo, it probably means that your individual skill is higher than any individual's on the opposing team. Obviously it'd be great if the game could put 8 players of equal skill into the same match every time, but the fact it can't is because there aren't 7 other players at your level available to match at the time you're searching. So, the system does what it can with what it has, to a point. If you can't find matches when you party up, it means that the game feels like you'd be doing the steamrolling and it wouldn't be fair to other players. This is, of course, referring to ranked play; social play prioritizes match speed over match evenness, to a point. I noticed that your recent games going back to April are almost all social, and your most recent 20 games actually have more victories than defeats, so while some of those defeats may have felt like blowouts, it's not like all your doing is losing. Seems like the game is doing a decent job of averaging out scenarios where you are advantaged with those where you're disadvantaged.
Chimera30 wrote:
the system doesn't take into account at higher skills that teams will steamroll randoms in nearly every scenario, and that's what happens, nearly every match.
Actually, the system does take team advantage into account. For a partied-up fireteam, the system assumes their average skill is higher than it actually is to account for team advantage. What I mean is, let's say you have 2 teams of equal MMR: Team A is in a party, Team B was randomly matched together. The system will treat Team A as if it's team MMR is actually higher (can't remember the value, it might be 10%) to account for the inherent advantage present from playing in a party, and this will be reflected in the matchmaking.

If you're consistently getting matched against teams when searching solo, it probably means that your individual skill is higher than any individual's on the opposing team. Obviously it'd be great if the game could put 8 players of equal skill into the same match every time, but the fact it can't is because there aren't 7 other players at your level available to match at the time you're searching. So, the system does what it can with what it has, to a point. If you can't find matches when you party up, it means that the game feels like you'd be doing the steamrolling and it wouldn't be fair to other players. This is, of course, referring to ranked play; social play prioritizes match speed over match evenness, to a point. I noticed that your recent games going back to April are almost all social, and your most recent 20 games actually have more victories than defeats, so while some of those defeats may have felt like blowouts, it's not like all your doing is losing. Seems like the game is doing a decent job of averaging out scenarios where you are advantaged with those where you're disadvantaged.
This is in BTB. YES, I like how you pointed out my most recent 20, but if you went back to say, my previous 100, just outside that 20 range was where it was damn near consistent at team matchups and blowouts.

My entire post regarded social because of the fact I play solo, even if I manage to have 2 or 3 people with me the matches take forever to find, and only gets exacerbated when playing Ranked, which is in part part of the reason I stopped playing it (aside from my disgust with Magnum play).

I just feel like the 10% team vs randoms adjustment isn't enough to overcome a team that talks and communicates. Maybe of 343 adjusted this slightly a bit more, it would alleviate some of these solo player's headaches, because quitting makes this even worse. Most of these BTB teams I've played with or against through most of Halo 5s life, so when I match them when I run solo (or even 4-5 of them), I already can tell the matches won't be close. The only chance is if it's objective and they don't pay attention enough to stop a bomb arm or flag cap, so while the occasional loss they incur, it's usually still them absolutely slaughtering the randoms. It's not just the gunplay that changes things. Every individual vehicle makes a massive difference.
I just feel like the 10% team vs randoms adjustment isn't enough to overcome a team that talks and communicates.
10% skill adjustment was a number I pulled out of thin air. I have no idea if that's how much the system adjusts for team advantage. It could very well be more.
This is in BTB. YES, I like how you pointed out my most recent 20, but if you went back to say, my previous 100, just outside that 20 range was where it was damn near consistent at team matchups and blowouts.
I went ahead and looked at your past 120 arena matches, to get a bigger sample size of your recent game history. Not including ties and DNFs, you had 59 victories and 54 losses. There were some blowout losses but also some blowout victories. But on average, despite how individual games may have felt, the system has been pretty good about putting you in as many "win some" situations as "lose some".