Are dedicated servers a myth?
I don't know about dedicated servers, but what is your connection like? Are you wired or wireless? Download/upload speed? Search preferences?
No, they're real. Dedicated servers do not completely eliminate the problem of lag. They do, however, eliminate the problem of host advantage.
hmmm... wired and 24mb down 8 up and I wasnt having this much lag before the weapons tuning. It really just takes a full second before anything registers... LOL I LITERALLY DONT WANT TO PLAY HALO ANYMORE GOD!!
Where do you live? Probably connecting to foreign servers. You could try searching Focused - depending where you live might only work on the most popular playlists though.
Chimera30 wrote:
No, they're real. Dedicated servers do not completely eliminate the problem of lag. They do, however, eliminate the problem of host advantage.
Honest question: What if the server is located in Cali and there are players from CA playing people from Midwest or East coast. Does it not give advantage to the CA players?
Chimera30 wrote:
Honest question: What if the server is located in Cali and there are players from CA playing people from Midwest or East coast. Does it not give advantage to the CA players?
This post gives a more in depth explanation of what's going on than I could muster: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/how-can-there-be-lag-with-dedicated-servers/df3c8cd6-ac56-48ef-b556-8f57faf37a78/posts?page=2#post29.

My bet is that the person with lower ping would actually be disadvantaged, because they would notice the higher ping players lagging. Though it is possible that the high ping players could be seeing events in the games that are essentially "back in time" compared to the low ping players at any instantaneous moment; that is, the East coast player will be shooting at a Cali player and hitting them on their screen, but on the Cali player's screen they've already moved on, so to them the East coast player is shooting at air. This is all conjecture though.