4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 39
stupid change, dumbest part of the tu.
don't remove sword block

1 it just helps the guy camping around a corner with a pw which people usually whine about except its considered skilled with the sword for some reason

2 it make alot of sense. if the guys that close you can knock his arm away like 6 does in the cinematics.

it took timing, so the sword didn't guarantee a kill if noobishly used by just camping and used clumsily thats a good thing right?
so the guy who telegraphs his swing by sprinting down a hallway and slashing gets blocked, thats the point. he used it badly and didn't deserve the kill powerweapon or no.

having it sometimes save somebody with skilled timing is worth the much less often than you'd think to hear the whining host issues. people just use it as an excuse more often than not, same with bloom in that respect(smaller than they make it sound and a convenient excuse for a miss not being my fault to save my ego)
Bye bye forever sword block!

*Puts sword block in microwave*

*Puts microwave in car crusher*

*Puts cube in ocean*

*Leaves note for the decendants of a post apocolyptic world to retrieve it from the dried up ocean and use their advanced technology to launch it into the sun*

*Supernova of sun creates a black hole over the sword block*

Sorry was that a bit much?
I enjoyed sword block. It adds an extra layer of complexity to the game I like. It also gave me a small chance of surviving a surprise encounter with a camping sword user. Now, with it gone, what are you going to do to slow down the sprint/sword juggernaut? It will basically be impossible to counter. Not good.

If you disable sword block I would suggest nerfing the sword so it doesn't last as long.
Quote:
You are right, it does add an element of vulnerability to the sword user, forcing them to use a bit of skill to kill the opponent after being sword blocked. However, sword blocking an opponent did not require much skill to do, it was too inconsistent and dependant on host/client/connection issues. It seemed to be a different window of oppurtunity every time it happened, making it incredibly random.

In theory sword block was a good feature, however it just added another random variable to the equation, which is what is destroying competitive gameplay.
Sword block isn't needed, but I didn't have a problem with it really. As long as sword vs sword still clashes, I'm happy.
Oh great, the unstoppable lungetastic killing machine is back. It would be better if it just wasn't in Halo at all.
i like it! will we finally be able to have proper sword clash fights in grifball? (the timing set up in reach really messes up the sword on sword clash and zombie on human kills in infection)
Quote:
I enjoyed sword block. It adds an extra layer of complexity to the game I like. It also gave me a small chance of surviving a surprise encounter with a camping sword user. Now, with it gone, what are you going to do to slow down the sprint/sword juggernaut? It will basically be impossible to counter. Not good.

If you disable sword block I would suggest nerfing the sword so it doesn't last as long.

Quote:
Quote:
Can't agree. Last I checked you can't block Shotgun bullets, Shotguns have more range than Swords AND they don't glow and give away your position (Which is why camping corners with the sword is ineffective at best), AND Swords have to compete with Melee for damage.

So if you kill someone with the Sword you are GUARANTEED to take Melee damage and be weaker when you move on to the next target. Usually the second one WILL kill you. The Shotgun can take out a whole team without a scratch.

If there is no counter to the Shotgun there should be no counter to the ALREADY far less powerful sword. And a DMR, a LONG RANGE WEAPON should NEVER EVER EVER kill a CQC power weapon in a CQC situation, regardless of skill. If you are a skilled player, your should be smart enough to keep your distance and take position where you can see enough distance in any and all directions to keep safe, and support your team.

In short: Competitively the Sword is already useless enough. Sword Block renders players at a DISADVANTAGE for even picking it up.

Your situation never ever won games of Halo 2 or 3. And neither of those games had Sword Block.
shotgun is not what we are discussing. it has nothing to do with the sword argument, so dont use it to back up any points. its 100% irrelevant. the sword isnt inherently weaker than the shotgun either. they are different, play differently, and require different skills to use. sure its all in the area of 'close combat prowess', but they are 2 very different, very unique weapons.

if you kill someone with the sword because you blocked them, and you take melee damage, who cares? you still went clutch, performing an incredibly skillful action to kill someone doing one of the most easy, skill-less things in the entire game (wait at corner, slice when someone comes. SUPER HARD!).

competitively the sword is useless? you have to be joking. this simply is not true at all. its still a power weapon WITH sword block, and it will still be a power weapon if sword block is made to be hard yet consistent (like i'd hope they would make it).

if you have a DMR, and you block a sword user, he still has a MASSIVE advantage. you probably wont even win the encounter if you block him, but if you CLUTCH IT OUT you CAN win, even tho the advantage is still the sword users.

[quote user="LEGEND ST"]"Your situation never ever won games of Halo 2 or 3."
false. this is an inherent false thing to say. whats more, even if it was true you couldnt prove it.

not only that, how is not being able to transverse a map GOOD for halo because players lack the ability to defend themselves against people who grab the sword, then move from one random sporadic spot to another?

'wheres the sword at'?

'i dont know, hes not cemented into the ground'

'guess we'll just sit here then'

meanwhile, the sword wielders team gets free pickin's on map control, advantageous positioning, weapons respawning in the area that the other team is trying to avoid, etc.

and for what? because some people arent capable of lunging another time after they get blocked, or using the sword skillfully so the block will never happen? GIVE ME A BREAK!

OR! try this:

you are camping a random corner with the sword.. you press your close combat advantage. you know they are decent and will try to sword block.. YOU WAIT A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE YOU LUNGE taking an additional 5 damage in the process (OH JEEZ!).

THEY MISS THE SWORD BLOCK. YOU GET THE SWORD KILL.

literally the only people the sword block effects are the people who arent using the sword optimally in the first place. fact.________________________

Quote:
Quote:
You are right, it does add an element of vulnerability to the sword user, forcing them to use a bit of skill to kill the opponent after being sword blocked. However, sword blocking an opponent did not require much skill to do, it was too inconsistent and dependant on host/client/connection issues. It seemed to be a different window of oppurtunity every time it happened, making it incredibly random.

In theory sword block was a good feature, however it just added another random variable to the equation, which is what is destroying competitive gameplay.[/quote]
problem with that approach is:
if it doesn't work the first try don't fix it just immediately chuck it out without a 2nd thought. seems a bit baby with the bathwater overreaction. noobish unskilled sword corner or lift camping and obvious yet strangely unstoppable hallway sprints are better anyway.

_
better:
pros: it does add an element of vulnerability to the sword user, forcing them to use a bit of skill to kill the opponent
cons: sword blocking an opponent did not require much skill to do, it was too inconsistent and dependant on host/client/connection issues.

maybe can't fix the 2nd part with a tu, but that same problem is in melee anyway. maybe reducing the window on sword block would help with the first problem add more skill in the timing see if it works.

removing it can't be that hard to do that it'd be prohibitively difficult to hold in reserve and instead use a test fix with tweaked variables from being tried first. should have done a beta tu thing to try and fix. if it worked keep it in the actual patch if not go with cutting it.</br></br></br></br></br>
I just played yesterday and on two different occasions in two different games I had the sword at one point and someone blocked it when I hit them. So I still see sword block in the game, I don't know about everyone else here but it's still in the game for me. It was supposed to be removed in the update so can someone look into this.
The point of it being a POWER WEAPON is now back.
While I don't want this implemented in every gametype, It needs to be taken out of Living Dead for sure. It's gay when someone is smart enough to know you can block it when you finally get lucky enough as a Zombie, to even get close enough to them, for god sakes, for a friggin' sword lunge.
Sword block should only occur when its Sword vs Sword or Sword vs Spiker. Since the Spiker has a blade on the bottom, it should be able to clash with the Sword. It would be better if there were more Brute weapons with blades on them though.
Seems like there's just a lot of sword abusers in here, I love all of the changes (especially AL, I hate that), but this is the only one that is just wrong, and will effect the gameplay for the worse and unbalance it. The sword is already abused by some, even if it's not, it's still a 1 hit power weapon that now will be unstoppable unless you get lucky w/ the help of someone else. This is the problem, it unbalances the game, it gives the sword users less opposition and makes it easier to kill w/ an already really powerful weapon. All this does is encourage sword users to abuse it. There is NOTHING wrong w/ sword blocking, all sword blocking is is just one more skill that Halo players should learn to be really good at the game. And seriously sword users, it's not like you're getting sword blocked all the time, if you are, then you just really suck.

343, Please do NOT listen to these sword abusers who are obviously the most vocal. If you want balance, you need to keep sword block!
Quote:
There is NOTHING wrong w/ sword blocking,
Except it doesn't work all of the time, even if it does the possible outcomes are way to drastic or ineffective and it undermines the status of a OSK Power Weapon from being a OSK Power Weapon.
Meh. I could take or leave it.
I'll be glad to see if it's gone. Really, if someone kills someone with a slice, shouldn't they die? And not somehow block it with a dinky pistol?
yes i love the removal of sword block but at the least bungie couldve just had your gun stop working when you blocked it.
it's a power weapon again.
Quote:
Quote:
There is NOTHING wrong w/ sword blocking,
Except it doesn't work all of the time, even if it does the possible outcomes are way to drastic or ineffective and it undermines the status of a OSK Power Weapon from being a OSK Power Weapon.
It still is and will be a power weapon, that's what I'm saying, there should NO weapon in Any video game that's insta-kill but unstoppable. Rockets for example, you can dodge/jump away. If you sword block, you have a chance, it's happened to me a couple of times, and it's rewarding because it's a hard skill to do. All this does is encourage noobs to camp.

Also, I hope you take notice 343 of how everyone who's against this is making an actual argument. I still see 0 reasons why it NEEDS to be taken out, while plenty of reasons why it NEEDS to stay.
I think your points are extremely valid and well written, thank you for your contribution!

I am disappointed that the sword block was removed, It was a one chance thing that rarely changed the final outcome of a conflict, but provided that sliver of hope and a huge reward for a skillfully executed counter. Whenever it happend to me I was never upset, more than content to leave the victor with the same sense of achievement that would get when the situations were reversed.

what i don't like is this forums message box with its own right click options, overriding the spel lcheck in firefox :/ I hope there is a Greesemonky script to fix that...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 39