2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
Mttchew wrote:
HWM Jon wrote:
What does 343 think of a REQ rubberbanding system? As one team pulled ahead in REQ level the system would kick in to pull the other teams level up to keep them within a specified margin of like 2-4 levels.

It would punish teams who sacrificed map control to spam Wasps as they would just be pulling the other teams level up while they raised their own. All forms of REQ spam would be nerfed as players would need to use a variety of REQs to control the map and push for the objectives as the other team would always be right on their tail.

Make it less about who can get their REQ level snowballing first and more about which team can use the most weapons the best, while still giving a slight advantage to the better slayers.
I like where your train of thought is headed to an extent, but mechanics to bring the losing team up to the winning team doesn't really have a place in competitive. Spam wasps is broken, but that doesn't mean we need to give the lesser skilled team additional benefits. Losing should serve as an opportunity to expose a team's weakness and learn where to improve.
A worse team should lose because the other team is better than them flat out. Not because the winning team got an early lead and snowballed their REQ for the rest of the game. Competitive is all about an even playing field. There are multiple REQs that facilitate snowballing currently which is the opposite of competitive.

The first two minutes of a gametype designed to last up to 20 minutes should not decide the entire match. Warzone can't provide truly competitive matches until it's an actual fight the entire time. Right now evenly matched teams don't even fight for 20 minutes, one team spams some exploitable REQs and snowballs their level. This allows them to easily slay the other team without even trying.

Certain teams would still be the best but it would be decided by their mastery of the entire REQ system and the WZ gametype against opponents also using the entire REQ system. One team getting to REQ 7+ while the other is stuck at 4 or less is not competitive, it's a casual slaughter.

What sounds more like a competitive match?

One team getting a lead in the first two minutes (or 5 minutes when Whiplash spam was the thing) and locking down the other teams REQ level so they can't fight back. Then proceeding to spam Banshees, Snipers, and Tanks while the other team is at REQ 3 trying to spawn Plasma Pistols.

or

Two teams fighting each other with similar level REQs for 10-15 minutes and the winner being decided by who can slay better, lock down bosses, and control the map using all the weapons available.
I have one piece of feedback that I hope is not listed as"non constructive"but for warzone warlords you guys have put in a specific feature hat was in some previous halos that many people liked and that should have been in halo 5 at launch and that is party restrictions.I hope you include this feature in halo 5 and 6
I really enjoyed the WZ Warlords Test. My group had 10 matches Friday and another group had 3 Saturday. Here is a TL:DR

Pros: The Friday matches were very competitive. 9-10 we're amazing to play. Only 1 was a team that purposely tried to setup a farm. Of the other matches, we were 6-3. 1 Loss was to a team just straight up better than ours. The other 2 losses we're very very close matches that could have gone either way.

I personally would love to see this continue. I didn't enjoy quick coring unorganized teams before. With this playlist, you know it's an organized team.

Cons: This really isn't a playlists fault...but it really exposes a growing problem with people lagging out during MM. Since there weren't any solo queue players to pick up the slack, sometimes matches just didn't launch.

Changes/Tweaks I'd like to see:
I'd actually like it if the fire team restrictions we're removed 100% on this list. I would solo queue into the more competitive playlist over the 6man fireteam list anyday of the week. I'd happily fill in on some 11 person teams.
If we're still looking to have fire team restrictions on of 12v12. Atleast allow the game to launch with 10. This would allow the game to commence while the people who lagged out can reboot and sign back into the match
Can we at least get 12 man btb on warzone maps. It will be great to play slayer, flag and bomb on warzone maps
Really liked playing WZ this weekend. Wasps need to be bumped a req level or not included at all in competitive WZ. Additionally, banshees should head back to req 6 or at the very least should be excluded from random uncommons. A banshee on the map while everyone else is at req 2 or 3 is a bit OP.

Edit: is it possible to move this to the Halo 5 forums? A lot more traffic over there.
Is new functionality being worked on for the next iteration of Warlords or are tweaks and a single bug fix the only main goals? Another "month or so" feels like a long time before another test. Do you plan on trying out no fireteam limits and that's what you want to work on the matchmaking for? Some details on why it is going to take over a month to give large party WZ players another nibble would be helpful in alleviating frustration. What are these tweaks? Will we ever get a permanent WZ option for parties larger than 6 or it going to be weekend events forever?

You talk about our segment of the population being so tiny(yet somehow responsible for ruining all of WZ), but how is it supposed to grow if we have no place to play with new players interested in our way of playing?
What reasoning is there to make Warlords a monthly playlist instead of the permanent/weekend playlist that was initially proposed? 343 has all but phased out the team-based community in warzone, and this move ensures that their numbers will continue to dwindle going forward.
sk7tch says that the full fireteam community makes up a “tiny fraction” of the Halo 5 playerbase, indicating they aren’t worth having their own playlist for. Half of the ranked playlists fall under that category, but are still kept around as permanent playlists. Breakout, FFA, and SWAT are three examples of playlists with consistently low populations given their incredibly long search times that you need to be extremely lucky to find a match in, even at peak hours. Even warzone assault, another warzone variant, has fairly long search times, and I’d wager has a population comparable to what the warlords playlist had. How is that breakout, a playlist that almost no one wants to play, a permanent offering, while the highly requested warlords playlist isn’t even offered up as weekend-only playlist?
sk7tch has tempered expectations by letting the 12-man teams know that they can expect longer wait times in warlords, and many have shown that they’re willing to wait the extra couple minutes if it means they can enjoy the game type the way they want. What harm is there in then offering warlords as a weekend playlist to those who wish to play it? sk7tch himself has said that the warlords population exceeded 343’s own expectations, so why is it now that its frequency is being rolled back to achieve some imaginary “critical mass” of players? That same critical mass can be achieved on the weekends, when the population of warzone is highest.
So bad i takes forever to find a match
I wasn't around during warlords but I ran with a team before the fireteam cap. So I am really annoyed I can't play with more than 5 of my friends. or 7 of my friends if I'm playing big team.
343 really can't seem to get this right. Even if solo players are the majority of the playerbase, it's the Warzone teams like Dominated, Allegiance, HaloWheelMan, WARBOYS, 2Pros Warriors, Winner, Spawn Kill Repeat and Devastated that are gonna keep coming back to play Warzone and will keep the playlist alive. When you make it so that you can't have full teams, Warzone is gonna slowly die off. Warzone already doesn't have much variety and diversity. Take away teams and Warzone will lose players slowly until one day, it's completely abandoned.
343 really can't seem to get this right. Even if solo players are the majority of the playerbase, it's the Warzone teams like Dominated, Allegiance, HaloWheelMan, WARBOYS, 2Pros Warriors, Winner, Spawn Kill Repeat and Devastated that are gonna keep coming back to play Warzone and will keep the playlist alive. When you make it so that you can't have full teams, Warzone is gonna slowly die off. Warzone already doesn't have much variety and diversity. Take away teams and Warzone will lose players slowly until one day, it's completely abandoned.
Yeah, not to mention the friends who just want to play together. Say you have a group of 9 friends, can't play big team, can't play infection. So your only option is customs. And with 9 people you know that at least 1 or 2 will not like customs. Just make a playlist where you and a group of friends can play.
A Pyro wrote:
Yeah, not to mention the friends who just want to play together. Say you have a group of 9 friends, can't play big team, can't play infection. So your only option is customs. And with 9 people you know that at least 1 or 2 will not like customs. Just make a playlist where you and a group of friends can play.
Exactly. You see, this is why making Warzone Warlords 12 players only lead to it's downfall. Had it not been restricted to 12 players and that you can go in with how many people you want, it would've been a much bigger success, search times would be much shorter and if solo players decided to play Warlords and they got farmed like crazy, they'd have no one to blame but themselves. It'd be their own fault. And 343 wonders why Warzone teams are manipulating the Matchmaking System to play with their full teams. Warlords is apparently only gonna be monthly and us guys who play with our friends in our Spartan Companies are supposed to just accept that? No way. 343 either give us a permanent Warzone Playlist where you can have up to 12 players but it's not restricted to 12 players or Warzone teams are gonna keep glitching to play with their full teams and you know some of those companies are gonna farm like crazy.
When is it coming back
When is warlords back
I don't normally post...But wtf we do need something more then just 6man teams going on. When is warzlords coming back? Stop slacking 343
it was amazing me and my company could finally play warzone all together!
My only question is when is it coming back?
So im guessing this is the new thread everyone will be using? Considering the thread with 123 pages got locked.....
HWM Jon wrote:
What does 343 think of a REQ rubberbanding system? As one team pulled ahead in REQ level the system would kick in to pull the other teams level up to keep them within a specified margin of like 2-4 levels.

It would punish teams who sacrificed map control to spam Wasps as they would just be pulling the other teams level up while they raised their own. All forms of REQ spam would be nerfed as players would need to use a variety of REQs to control the map and push for the objectives as the other team would always be right on their tail.

Make it less about who can get their REQ level snowballing first and more about which team can use the most weapons the best, while still giving a slight advantage to the better slayers.
I had the same idea independently, actually. I think it could really work. Would make WZ games much more interesting through the whole 20 minutes.

Let's be straight, WZ is not a truly "competitive" gametype because of all the boss spawn randomness. It was more competitive when the bosses were static known spawns, but the huge value of the legendary bosses makes it more random. So for those who are saying "rubber banding isn't competitive", I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on. Rubber banding might lead to better, more interesting WZ matches, which I'd be in favor of.

most of the games where 2 good teams square off, they snowball after one team gets whiplashes out first, and the team that's leading just doesn't die much anymore, so the trailing team can't level up anymore. that's the broken part of the meta after L4.
Hey Waypoint, just wanted to provide some "do's and don'ts" when it comes to feedback on Warlords, 12-man fireteams, etc.

Do's:
  • Discuss your experience with the Warlords playlist
  • Provide constructive criticism about the current state of Warzone/Warlords
  • Post verified updates about Warlords and Warzone that you saw from other sources (reddit, Twitter, etc.)
Don'ts:
  • Pass off conspiracy theories and unverified speculations as fact
  • Bash/flame/insult community or 343i members for any reason
  • Daily requests for updates, or daily "reminders" that you want Warlords to return
  • Post about previously locked threads
Latest update: Warlords should return sometime in March (source).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7