Some people here on the Waypoint forums claim SpartanAssault - similarly to SpartanStrike - is not a legitimate Halo game. That is why, if someone lurks these parts of the forum, I would like to ask, what are the criteria defining a proper Halo release? Similarly, are HaloWars any proper Halo representatives? Take the question in a constructive manner, lets try to define what a Halo game should have, but I refuse to accept an argument it ought to be only a first person view shooter.
If it has the word "Halo" in its title and is published by Microsoft studios, it is a Halo game. Halo is by no means confined to the FPS genre. Halo: Spartan Assault is just as legitimate as Halo 2, because the titles say so and the developers say so. Also, look at the official Halo site which you are on right now. Click on "All Forums," and you see the FPS titles, the RTS games, and the top-down shooters.

I hate it when people say that the new games "aren't Halo" or the non-FPS games "aren't Halo." Just because you don't like a game in your favorite franchise does not mean that it is not a member of the franchise. Look at it this way: I find some members of my family repulsive and extremely irritating, but does that mean that they are not members of the family? By no means! The people who say that certain games which are not in the original Halo trilogy are not Halo are trying to cope with the fact that Halo has evolved into a fast-paced, sweaty FPS franchise with some side games like Halo Wars 2 and Halo: Spartan Strike. Like it or not, this is Halo.
If it has the word "Halo" in its title and is published by Microsoft studios, it is a Halo game. Halo is by no means confined to the FPS genre. Halo: Spartan Assault is just as legitimate as Halo 2, because the titles say so and the developers say so. Also, look at the official Halo site which you are on right now. Click on "All Forums," and you see the FPS titles, the RTS games, and the top-down shooters.

I hate it when people say that the new games "aren't Halo" or the non-FPS games "aren't Halo." Just because you don't like a game in your favorite franchise does not mean that it is not a member of the franchise. Look at it this way: I find some members of my family repulsive and extremely irritating, but does that mean that they are not members of the family? By no means! The people who say that certain games which are not in the original Halo trilogy are not Halo are trying to cope with the fact that Halo has evolved into a fast-paced, sweaty FPS franchise with some side games like Halo Wars 2 and Halo: Spartan Strike. Like it or not, this is Halo.
Excellent argument and I think a definitive one. If it is explicably marked as Halo by those who have the most say in the matter what qualifies as Halo and what fails to, then the quarrel is over. Opinions can differ among the fandom, especially if there are purists or orthodox-minded fans out there, but these are unofficial to say at best. By negating parts of the franchise, people spoil the experience of the game and the metaplot for themselves, raising artificial obstacles and inflated standards. I think it is great the franchise expands to other formulas and artstyles, because it is the way things evolve. Providing for better diversity is the way of the Mantle. On the contrary, limiting the perception to very narrow paths or even monointerpretation, is what the Plague is all about.

Besides, even though SpartanAssault felt a bit cold and off at the beginning, having got better hang of it, I really enjoyed the game. I think it did contain unique elements I have never seen thusfar in any other topdown shooter. Furthermore, it is probably still the best made topdown shooter I have had an occasion to put my hands on as a consumer. Aesthetics are definitely Halo. Cinematics and handdrawn artworks are supreme, thematically adequate without a second thought. Gameplay is solid. Level design is praiseworthy. Background theme of mixed reality type of approach - the universal TacSim training - is very tricky, but perhaps overly elaborate for a casual gamer to keep in mind while playing.

But I can see how people who have an option to go for the big caliber Halo titles would skip giving SpartanAssault a better try, because right off the bat it does look like a more simplistic kind of release. Being a PC player myself without access to modernday mainline Halo productions, I gave Assault more time and I am satisfied. It is a playable game, not perfect, but certainly worth solid 7/10 grade.
If it takes place in the Halo universe and has the Halo namesake, its a Halo game. It could be a game about roasting hot dogs over a fire and it would still be a Halo game.
Pretty sure its a halo game lol