Forums / Games / Halo: Spartan Assault

Tips for best scoring

OP GinningSquid712

What kind of tips could you share for best scoring in the game? Here are mine:

1. Killing spree, which means killing as many enemies in the shortest timespan as possible. despite whether being hit oneself in the meantime or not. Probably the strongest scoreboost in the game.
2. Clean run, which means killing as many enemies as possible without being hit oneself, without time limit. Just keep clear. Works great with Active Cloak power armour in missions where it is available. Otherwise, use long range weapon and snipe the enemy, preferably with Assault Rifle or a Needler for common fights, in tougher cases turn to grenades.
3. Rifle spree, pistol spree, grenade spree, which means consistent use of given category of weapon, eliminating opponents without being hit oneself. Wonderfully combines with "clean run" [point 2.], creating probably the most efficient points boost combo in the game, unlimited with time conditions. At this point it is important to note that Dual SMGs are the only basic available handheld gun belonging neither to rifles nor pistols, thus devoid of "killing spree" opportunities. Vehicles have their separate "killing spree", to which running over the enemies does count in.

Sometimes you could be able to combine all thusfar mentioned boosts in one perfect action, nonetheless due to unlikeliness of avoiding being hit in an aggressive run with killing spree oneself, it rarely happens. It is profitable to go for Grenade spree [point 3.] if you can kill multiple targets at once with each throw, as well as if you can destroy turrets or vehicles, as then you get "demolition" tasty reward.

Now, if you have trouble achieving a gold star in the level, refer to this:

A. Damage boost - always useful. If you eliminate enemies faster, the less likely they will have the opportunity to hit you and the quicker you will earn points, tending towards the "killing spree". Works great also with vehicles. Costs eight hundred XP, which is acceptable if you consider finishing each level with some Skulls on, managing your XP gain. The topic of Skulls is discussed in another thread.
B. Rocket launcher - most powerful and useful weapon in the game, unfortunately devoid of dedicated "weapon spree" system, but still. Rocket launcher contains enough ammo to give you serious advantage throughout most tough parts of the mission, being good against all targets otherwise hard to kill, especially vehicles and structures, but it gets rid of the Elites perfectly as well. If you play without Thunderstorm Skull on, you can choose Score multiplier upgrade instead of Damage boost to make your killing spree even more rewarding. Manage your ammo with Rocket launcher, as it fires small missles very rapidly, while it takes only few of them to do major damage. Make wise decision when do you want to pick up a Rocket launcher, as it costs two thousand XP, which is a major expense.
C. Shield boosts - experimental idea, untested on myself, but if to get the faster shield regeneration upgrade and the extrashield armour enhancement, one could get into tough fights and melee enemies, providing quick kills for "killing spree", nonetheless it is doubtful whether this is the safest and most efficient way, minding there is marginal possibility one would avoid being asskicked by the Elites.

If you go for the gold star, avoid taking "Thunderstorm" Skull or any other skulls essentially making enemies harder to kill, which would also negate "Pacifist" and "Famine" in case you relay on handheld firepower primarily.
Quote:
B. Rocket launcher - most powerful and useful weapon in the game, unfortunately devoid of dedicated "weapon spree" system, but still. Rocket launcher contains enough ammo to give you serious advantage throughout most tough parts of the mission, being good against all targets otherwise hard to kill, especially vehicles and structures, but it gets rid of the Elites perfectly as well. If you play without Thunderstorm Skull on, you can choose Score multiplier upgrade instead of Damage boost to make your killing spree even more rewarding. Manage your ammo with Rocket launcher, as it fires small missles very rapidly, while it takes only few of them to do major damage. Make wise decision when do you want to pick up a Rocket launcher, as it costs two thousand XP, which is a major expense.
Actually in mission C-5, when heading towards Higher-Than-Gold completion with Black Eye and Thunderstorm skulls on, I took Score Booster with Sniper rifle and I found Sniper rifle more helpful than Rocket launcher with that amount of hardest enemies around as given stage serves. Tried also Rocket launcher with Damage booster configuration earlier, but the ammo run short too quickly, maybe due to poor management of it on my part. Sniper rifle anyway is an immediate kill, so Damage booster to it is redundant. Sniper rifle is also half the price of Rocket launcher and it somewhat forces more reasonable, restrained usage due to low rate of fire. Against grunts I used Shotgun, followed by SMGs, followed by Focus rifle.
On the contrary to mission C-5, mission F-1 seems perfect for the earlier mentioned Rocket launcher combined with either the Score boost of Damage upgrade, depending whether it is a gold star or higher than gold star run.
Used Laser in mission F-3, where typically I would go with Launcher. Laser is actually counted as a rifle class for the spree system. It takes forever to charge to start shooting, gun is very ammo consumptive, but it is immensely powerful - especially against structures and vehicles, unlike Sniper rifle - and able to keep continuous fire until depleted. Good against Brutes, also I see it very useful in mission E-5. Other than that, not really a weapon of choice, unless if to aim to walk on foot through a field full of tanks, if ammo suffices.
For the Higher-Than-Gold run, which takes Black Eye and Thunderstorm skulls both on, I found Sniper rifle with Score booster to be most helpful in tougher missions.
When doing quirky achievements which tell you to gather as many kills with a weapon that is rare in given level, remember that the achievement says to score a kill with a named weapon, instead of delivering 100% damage with that weapon, resulting in some number of kills. Which means, you can soften up the targets with any other kind of weapon, finishing them off with the required tool.