Forums / Games / Halo: Spartan Assault

What this game reminds me of...

OP GinningSquid712

What this game reminds me of is Quake4. Sure, there are differences, but still. Similar mentality of design. Pity though Quake4 is a meh game more than it should be. If someone wanted to check out Quake4 nonetheless, I have some IDtech4 engine config tweaks - pure text, without any install - that max out the game a bit for modern PCs. Same goes for other IDtech4 games, like Doom3 standard edition or Prey [2006].
I used to like playing Quake 4, it was my first Xbox 360 game and I also had it on PC (though no one touched it on PC because they knew better). Sure it wasn't the best in the series and took a step back or even in the wrong direction but it was still Quake and I still liked it. But why Spartan Assault remind you of Quake 4? Are you saying both are similar because they were supposed to expand on the stories of their respective franchises, and both were fun but kinda underwhelming?
I used to like playing Quake 4, it was my first Xbox 360 game and I also had it on PC (though no one touched it on PC because they knew better). Sure it wasn't the best in the series and took a step back or even in the wrong direction but it was still Quake and I still liked it. But why Spartan Assault remind you of Quake 4? Are you saying both are similar because they were supposed to expand on the stories of their respective franchises, and both were fun but kinda underwhelming?
Since you ask, Quake2 was a game different compared to the original Quake to the point of having little to nothing in common with it, apart from the shared genre of first person view shooter. Quake4 is a successor to Quake2, embracing though different design patterns. Quake2 was dark, even horrific. There is a movie called Virus from 1999AD AFAIR. The movie, though of grade B, features an entity that gives a good idea to the viewer of what the Strogg is in Quake2. Something like a more technologically oriented Flood which does horrific things without regards to any human sensibility, ending up with images suitable for the Saw cinema franchise, with protagonists having their legs cut off live with a rusty saw and so on.

Compared to Quake2, Quake4 was much more lighthearted in terms of ambience, as well as in terms of design arguably, drawing much from the dystopian future-fantasy world of Warhammer40K, but also some from the postapocalyptically mad imagery of MadMax and Borderlands. Which was a weird mix, but it could have worked. Could have.

Now here is where we arrive at SpartanAssault. SpartanAssault is like Quake4 mostly in terms of aesthetics but taken perhaps even in a more lightearted manner, also less brutal, nonetheless with stronger ambience of own and unique Halo artstyle. Take a look at armor design and even the colour palette of standard Marines. They are the same between Quake4 and SpartanAssault. In both the games one is able to operate some war machines, turrets, tanks and so on, but in SpartanAssault it is actually fun, unlike in Quake4, in which it was a major screwup. In both the games one does feel like a supersoldier but come on, this is not Warhammer40K level of mighty heroicism and power. Wonder how well Warhammer40K Space Marines would do in the directly taken, clear in deliverance and technically excellent formula of SpartanAssault. Perhaps great, if the franchise only said yes.

By the way, I dislike the armour design of the Halo UNSC marines, it looks like some kind of martian motocross bikers.

So yeah, mainly the aesthetics between Quake4 and SpartanAssault. Also the feeling of the surrounding war with all the traces of that war around. The war, could be though a general pattern shared between many wargames, nonetheless the semi-futuristic semi-universal looks of it in both the titles is something they do almost the same way.

By the way, Quake4 does a terrible first impression of character moving slow - before the augmentation, so to say - which is a thing to be avoided in game design, as the first impression is oftentimes decisive.
Hmmm, yeah I am familiar with Quake and its history but that is a pretty informative post for anyone who might join in on the thread. Didn't know bout Virus though, I should check it out some time!

I didn't see the similarities between Quake 4 and Spartan Assault like you did, but yeah, in retrospect it seems like Spartan Assault had a more lighthearted aesthetic. Maybe that was a byproduct of transitioning a halo game to a different genre and different gameplay - i.e. top down, twin stick shooter with a arcade feel to it. Or maybe that's just a byproduct of 343i's direction with the franchise as a whole.

The design of the Marines definitely hasn't been well received since Halo 4 and I know we aren't the only ones to feel that way.
In terms of gore, Halo in general seems to be floating away from it, which I say in the end is a good thing but may leave some people disappointed and hungry for some real screenshake and feeling of doing major damage impact, which unfortunately the SpartanAssault notably has been criticized for as to lack.

Hey, here is a half an hour YT excerpt of the Virus [1999] movie, if you have time, have a look: LINK.